PDA

View Full Version : Time To Vote: Packers Mount Rushmore

pbmax
06-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Its a ludicrous exercise this, but let's see of we can get a thread out of it.

PFT takes the fan votes but also selects one themselves. Then, if I am understanding this correctly, the panel of their NBC Sports Network TV show also chimes in. The final result is part of a complicated formula involving past buying habits, a media panel and fractals.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/09/its-packers-mt-rushmore-time/

My vote: Lambeau, Lombardi, Favre and Hutson.

Old School
06-09-2013, 12:02 PM
My vote: Lambeau, Lombardi. & Starr. I'm holding out a spot that may be needed for TT some day. JMHO

I wasn't going to bother voting, but I needed to cancel the vote for Burt. I stopped reading PFT when Florio got so full of himself he switched from sports to preaching PCness and left wing politics.

red
06-09-2013, 12:06 PM
i went with lambeau, lombardi, hutson and starr

HarveyWallbangers
06-09-2013, 12:33 PM

Same here. It was tough between Starr and Favre. The other three were no brainers to me.

gbgary
06-09-2013, 01:10 PM

me too.

gbgary
06-09-2013, 01:11 PM
we need a 'delete' option.

Guiness
06-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Such a tough vote, the Packers have such a long history and so many have stood out at various times.

The nominations at PFT are:
Herb Adderly
Brett Favre
Forrest Gregg
Paul Hornung
Don Hutson
Curly Lambeau
Vince Lombardi
Ray Nitschke
Aaron Rodgers
Bart Starr
Jim Taylor
Reggie White

I'd like to see an offensive player, a defensive player, a coach and one more...maybe GM/front office type?

Lombardi has to be a given. They named the damn trophy after him, the whole league aspires to do what he did. Lambeau was an owner/GM/coach/player! The only problem I have with Lambeau is that it would be nice to recognize someone from the modern era. Patler, brought up Harlan as the guy behind the scenes that made it all happen.

On to the offensive players: Hutson, Starr, Taylor, Favre are likely the front runners, with Taylor a definite dark horse.

Incredibly, there seems to be slim pickings on the defensive side. I don`t like the idea of White...he had a career before and after the Packers, and although he meant to much to the Packers resurgence, in retrospect he feels like a sell sword to me. Adderly or Nitschke?

Smidgeon
06-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Lambeau, Lombardi, Hutson, Taylor

pbmax
06-09-2013, 03:33 PM
As I said in the other thread during the apparently primary voting process, I took Favre over Starr to represent an era. Lombardi covers it for me. But I am open to the charge of double counting earlier Packer teams with Hutson and Lambeau.

I will be conducting a poll via thread later where we have six heads to choose from for Mt. Packmore.

hoosier
06-09-2013, 07:45 PM
I would like to vote for Hutson, Lambeau, Lombardi and Wolf. But that makes three admins and one player, and that is no good. I think I am stuck voting for Hutson, Lambeau, Lombardi and Favre, even though it makes every fiber in my being cringe.

Guiness
06-09-2013, 08:19 PM
I would like to vote for Hutson, Lambeau, Lombardi and Wolf. But that makes three admins and one player, and that is no good. I think I am stuck voting for Hutson, Lambeau, Lombardi and Favre, even though it makes every fiber in my being cringe.

I like Lambeau because he was not just admin - he was owner, coach and player. He played both ways, too!

TravisWilliams23
06-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Never saw Lambeau and Hutson but their records and history make them locks. Lombardi would be a no brainer and I finished it up with Starr because of the 5 championships, 2 of which were Super Bowls. Just seeing all those names makes me realize how much it must suck to be a fan of any OTHER team!

Iron Mike
06-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Lambeau, Hutson, Lombardi and Hawg Hanner....

Upnorth
06-10-2013, 11:33 AM

Sign me up on this one.

Pugger
06-10-2013, 02:38 PM
I too went with Lambeau, Lombardi, Hutson and Starr. I will always hold Starr above Favre because of his 5 championships.

mraynrand
06-10-2013, 02:56 PM
I voted: Lambeau, Lombardi, Favre and Hutson.

The first two are no-brainers. With Lombardi, you have the 60s covered, including all the great players that made the Packer of that era great, including Starr, who deserves tons of credit. Hutson gets the nod just because he embodied the emergent passing attack in pro football, and was so dominant that his 99 TDs held for several decades. There was no one other than Favre to represent the modern revival of the Packers, and their success and his personal records, notwithstanding his own failures during his tenure are just too significant to overlook. Favre represents Harlan, Wolf, Holmgren, McCarthy, and Reggie White (who came because of $$$, Favre, and God, probably in that order). As much as I liked Starr, he also - like Favre - carries the taint of extreme failure due to his coaching (and player personnel) debacles.

Patler
06-10-2013, 03:21 PM
I voted: Lambeau, Lombardi, Favre and Hutson.

The first two are no-brainers. With Lombardi, you have the 60s covered, including all the great players that made the Packer of that era great, including Starr, who deserves tons of credit. Hutson gets the nod just because he embodied the emergent passing attack in pro football, and was so dominant that his 99 TDs held for several decades. There was no one other than Favre to represent the modern revival of the Packers, and their success and his personal records, notwithstanding his own failures during his tenure are just too significant to overlook. Favre represents Harlan, Wolf, Holmgren, McCarthy, and Reggie White (who came because of $$$, Favre, and God, probably in that order). As much as I liked Starr, he also - like Favre - carries the taint of extreme failure due to his coaching (and player personnel) debacles.

Harlan begot Wolf, who begot Holmgren, Favre, White and others leading to a SB winner.
Harlan begot Thompson who begot McCarthy, Rodgers, Matthews and others leading to another SB winner.
Harlan begot the stadium rebuild ensuring the Packers competitive future.
Harlan fostered the coming of Murphy who is building on the new foundation built by Harlan.

If you want representatives of eras, Harlan spans the last two SB winners. Harlan put in place everything necessary to evolve from the frustrating past of the 1980's to the successes of 1990's and 2000's and to enable success in 2010 and beyond.

Favre represents only a small portion of what Harlan did for the Packers.

mraynrand
06-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Harlan begot Wolf, who begot Holmgren, Favre, White and others leading to a SB winner.
Harlan begot Thompson who begot McCarthy, Rodgers, Matthews and others leading to another SB winner.
Harlan begot the stadium rebuild ensuring the Packers competitive future.
Harlan fostered the coming of Murphy who is building on the new foundation built by Harlan.

If you want representatives of eras, Harlan spans the last two SB winners. Harlan put in place everything necessary to evolve from the frustrating past of the 1980's to the successes of 1990's and 2000's and to enable success in 2010 and beyond.

Favre represents only a small portion of what Harlan did for the Packers.

I agree, for the most part. But Harlan is not listed as a voting choice, so Favre represents him in this case.

I would have voted for Johnny "Blood" McNally if given the choice.

woodbuck27
06-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Its a ludicrous exercise this, but let's see of we can get a thread out of it.

PFT takes the fan votes but also selects one themselves. Then, if I am understanding this correctly, the panel of their NBC Sports Network TV show also chimes in. The final result is part of a complicated formula involving past buying habits, a media panel and fractals.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/09/its-packers-mt-rushmore-time/

My vote: Lambeau, Lombardi, Favre and Hutson.

My Vote:

Don Hutson; Brett Favre; Ray Nitschke and Bart Starr

PACKERS !