PDA

View Full Version : Pickett gets introduced to performance enhancing drugs!!

RashanGary
06-10-2013, 09:19 PM
OK, that's pure speculation, but to be 33 years old and transform 10lbs of fat into muscle, he has to be doing something really right. That's a 20lb swing. That's really incredible, no matter what size you are for that short of time-frame.

Our 2-4 defense wouldn't be nearly so soft if the two guys were BJ Raji and Ryan Pickett. BJ has the body type, if he had the technique, he could 2-gap too. . . . Substitute Datone Jones or Mike Neal for Nick Perry, and now you have plenty of beef to stop the run and still get after the passer with Matthews, Raji and whomever the other OLB is.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130610/pkr01/306100329/passion-fuels-steady-pickett-still-going-strong-after-12-years

3irty1
06-10-2013, 10:52 PM
I'd wager most guys his size turn 10 bad pounds into 10 good pounds every offseason. During the season you've probably got to eat like a pig to maintain weight given all the aerobic exercise of daily football.

RashanGary
06-11-2013, 01:10 AM
I'd wager most guys his size turn 10 bad pounds into 10 good pounds every offseason. During the season you've probably got to eat like a pig to maintain weight given all the aerobic exercise of daily football.

I'd bet you there are very, very few players who gain weight while playing a full season.

MJZiggy
06-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Muscle weighs more than fat and has a higher metabolic rate than fat. If you're gaining muscle, you're losing more fat. It's just a lot of work.

RashanGary
06-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Muscle weighs more than fat and has a higher metabolic rate than fat. If you're gaining muscle, you're losing more fat. It's just a lot of work.

It's not that easy, guys. It's easier to lose weight or gain weight, harder to just transfer fat to muscle. It requires your body to both be burning fat and gaining muscle at the same time. The body tends to want to do one or the other at a time, not both. Especially at his age.

If you asked me, I'd say Pickett is doing an EXCELLENT job working out and with his diet. On top of that, for him to make these kinds of changes (the type you would expect from Jarrell Worthy or Andrew Datko at age 23, not 33), in this era, is suggestive of performance enhancers.

Patler
06-11-2013, 07:58 AM
It was just an off-the -cuff comment by Pickett. I suspect all he meant by it is that he has gained strength while not losing weight overall. Thus the "muscle to fat" comment.

RashanGary
06-11-2013, 08:06 AM
It was just an off-the -cuff comment by Pickett. I suspect all he meant by it is that he has gained strength while not losing weight overall. Thus the "muscle to fat" comment.

I had a trainer for a few months. They keep track of body composition. I think it's literal. That's the exact thing my trainer was keeping track of. Lean body mass and fat. Pickett's lean body mass is up. His fat is down. I don't think there is a lot of reading between the lines here. It would be like me reading off my numbers. They're numbers, nothing more or less.

Patler
06-11-2013, 08:33 AM
I know that, but this is a 350# guy whose weights and measurements will fluctuate dramatically anyway. I doubt he is relaying any literal report from his training sessions. Simply an off-the-cuff comment to a few reporters at his locker, in my opinion. If his trainer said 6, Pickett might say 10. If his trainer said 11, Picket might say 10, or 15.

I don't put a lot of stock in it.

cheesner
06-11-2013, 09:24 AM
It's not that easy, guys. It's easier to lose weight or gain weight, harder to just transfer fat to muscle. It requires your body to both be burning fat and gaining muscle at the same time.The body tends to want to do one or the other at a time, not both. Especially at his age.

If you asked me, I'd say Pickett is doing an EXCELLENT job working out and with his diet. On top of that, for him to make these kinds of changes (the type you would expect from Jarrell Worthy or Andrew Datko at age 23, not 33), in this era, is suggestive of performance enhancers.

You sound like you know more about this than I, but I'm not sure about this comment.

If you start working out, and eating right, your body will burn fat to supply energy. Your body, having the muscles stimulated will do two things in response - create more muscle tissue and shift some of the fat storage directly in the muscle for quicker access. Correct?

mraynrand
06-11-2013, 09:55 AM
You can tell it's the off season. Way too much being read into this. A guy like Pickett can lose ten pounds just from tamale-induced sweating.

rbaloha1
06-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Contract year.

HGH promotes leans muscle mass which is what Pickett is referencing.

Good move since the NFL does not test for it and maybe prolongs career.

pittstang5
06-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Whatever he's doing, two things are all I care about.

1. - He doesn't get suspended or caught
2. - He stays healthy / stays on the field.

denverYooper
06-11-2013, 11:20 AM
You can tell it's the off season. Way too much being read into this. A guy like Pickett can lose ten pounds just from tamale-induced sweating.

Repped.

Now I want Tamales.

rbaloha1
06-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Whatever he's doing, two things are all I care about.

1. - He doesn't get suspended or caught
2. - He stays healthy / stays on the field.

He will not get caught as the union keeps playing games when it comes to hgh testing.

HgH also helps speed-up recovery from certain injuries.

bobblehead
06-11-2013, 11:41 AM
I am underly impressed by a guy Pickets size, with all the tools available to him, can ONLY transfer 10 lbs. in the offseason. For a guy that big, this is a minor transformation. It definately doesn NOT require drugs, just tricep muscles....as in push the extra helping of pie away from you.

rbaloha1
06-11-2013, 11:46 AM
I am underly impressed by a guy Pickets size, with all the tools available to him, can ONLY transfer 10 lbs. in the offseason. For a guy that big, this is a minor transformation. It definately doesn NOT require drugs, just tricep muscles....as in push the extra helping of pie away from you.

Keep residing in fantasy land.

MJZiggy
06-11-2013, 08:43 PM
You sound like you know more about this than I, but I'm not sure about this comment.

If you start working out, and eating right, your body will burn fat to supply energy. Your body, having the muscles stimulated will do two things in response - create more muscle tissue and shift some of the fat storage directly in the muscle for quicker access. Correct? This is sort of correct. Yes, stimulating the muscles causes them to create more tissue and working out & eating right will cause the body to burn fat. That said, note that fat cells are fat cells and muscle cells are muscle cells. There is no such thing as changing one type of cell to another. Fat cells serve only to store fuel and look bad...(actually, some are necessary, but still). And props for the tamale comment.

rbaloha1
06-11-2013, 09:23 PM
This is sort of correct. Yes, stimulating the muscles causes them to create more tissue and working out & eating right will cause the body to burn fat. That said, note that fat cells are fat cells and muscle cells are muscle cells. There is no such thing as changing one type of cell to another. Fat cells serve only to store fuel and look bad...(actually, some are necessary, but still). And props for the tamale comment.

Yup -- fat cells only shrink in size but the number remains the same which are determined via genetics.

Gastro bypass surgery is the only permanent weight loss solution.

MJZiggy
06-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Yup -- fat cells only shrink in size but the number remains the same which are determined via genetics.

Gastro bypass surgery is the only permanent weight loss solution.Well, there's death, but that's a little extreme...And actually, you can gain weight back after bypass. It takes a long time to do it, but if you don't cure the underlying problem, you'll eat your way back to huge.

rbaloha1
06-11-2013, 09:36 PM
This is sort of correct. Yes, stimulating the muscles causes them to create more tissue and working out & eating right will cause the body to burn fat. That said, note that fat cells are fat cells and muscle cells are muscle cells. There is no such thing as changing one type of cell to another. Fat cells serve only to store fuel and look bad...(actually, some are necessary, but still). And props for the tamale comment.

Gastro bypass surgery is the only permanent weight loss solution.

George Cumby
06-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Well, there's death, but that's a little extreme...And actually, you can gain weight back after bypass. It takes a long time to do it, but if you don't cure the underlying problem, you'll eat your way back to huge.

This.

Know a gal, always had a weight issue. I see her after a while and she's shrunk. Turns out, she had GBP. Fast forward a few years, poor thing is big again. Zig is correct, GBP is a bandaid.

Decreased caloric intake, cleaner diet, increase in training volume works. I am not so dogmatic or foolish to say it is the only thing to work.

And for a man of Picketts size, 10# is nothing. He drops that every time he goes doody.