PDA

View Full Version : mike-mccarthy-believes-in-a-sense-of-urgency

rbaloha1
06-13-2013, 08:41 AM
http://deadspin.com/mike-mccarthy-believes-in-a-sense-of-urgency-513062170

woodbuck27
06-13-2013, 09:34 AM
That's (the Pic and Article Title) insulting to Mike McCarthy. Didn't you see that? If so... why post it?

That site SUCKS big wind.

hoosier
06-13-2013, 09:52 AM
That's (the Pic and Article Title) insulting to Mike McCarthy. Didn't you see that? If so... why post it?

Have you ever spent any quality time with small children?

woodbuck27
06-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Maybe this is more appropriate in terms of a story truly relevant to our team's success in 2013 and HC Mike McCarthy's stance regarding progress. Vince Lombardi is most certainly a man that Coach McCarthy has to admire in terms of philosophy and coaching in the NFL. Vince Lombardi would say that the 'only' sense of emergency is to adopt an all in attitude towards one thing:

'Only winning football games'.

We'll see a step in that direction if our 'D' steps it up this season and we see a more balanced attack on offense. An improved running game.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/211333151.html

McCarthy on running game: 'We'll be better, I promise you that'

By: Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel ... June 13, 2013

" So on Tuesday, coach Mike McCarthy didn't hold back. Telling reporters to use "big letters," he vowed the running game would improve in 2013.

“Expectations for the run game, don’t have a number for you," McCarthy said. "To me, that will sort itself out in training camp. These workouts are great --- they’re a teaching, educational part of developing your football team. We have to get in pads to find out what’s real and what’s perception.

"We’ll be better, I promise you that. Big letters.”... " Fr. LINK above

GO Mike McCarthy ... GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
06-13-2013, 10:12 AM

Of course... I've spent much time with small children. I'm a father too three daughters and all three have their own children now.

Are there children posting here at Packerrats? Of course not.

When I post a reaction as I did it's to encourage something better here at Packerrats. To encourage something more positive and I know that's in all of us. I truly believe that this site has the strength of posters to make it a wonderful NFL fan site. That so many more 'mere onlookers' will see this. Desire to participate more in terms of posting here hoosier.

I don't believe I'm being naïve. We can all work harder for that end.

GO PACK GO !

Upnorth
06-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Of course... I've spent much time with small children. I'm a father to three daughters and all three have their own children now.

Are there children posting here at Packerrats? Of course not.

When I post a reaction as I did it's to encourage something better here at Packerrats. To encourage something more positive and I know that's in all of us. I truly believe that this site has the strength of posters to make it a wonderful NFL fan site. That so many more 'mere onlookers' will see this. Desire to participate more in terms of posting here hoosier.

I don't believe I'm being naïve. We can all work harder for that end.

GO PACK GO !

Well said woody

woodbuck27
06-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Well said woody

Thank You Upnorth.

Have a great day Packer fan.

GO PACK GO !

Iron Mike
06-13-2013, 09:35 PM

That site SUCKS!!!!.

Fixed. :)

Cleft Crusty
06-14-2013, 12:19 AM
Cleft Crusty believes in a sense of urgency too - literally, because the Avodart just doesn't work all that well.

wist43
06-20-2013, 10:40 PM
McCarthy doesn't have time to have a sense of urgency - he's still spending most of his time denying his team is soft.

Just spent the last 10 minutes watching a segment on the NFL Network discussing whether the Packers are soft. 874 consecutive games without a 100 yard rusher, can't stop the run, poor tackling, etc. They read a response from McCarthy - typical McCarthy respone, "we're plenty tough", blah, blah, blah...

Darren Sharper said none of the DB's had the guts or toughness to tackle Adrian Peterson - agree 100% there; bunch of timid ballarinas back there.

Of course they showed clip after clip of SF blowing our defense away.

The best way to put an end to the arrow slinging - is to show up on Sunday, and punch a bully in the mouth... of course that will never happen as long as McCarthy is coach. The teams philosophies are soft, softer, and softest on both sides of the ball. That's not going to change.

Wonder what the over/under on "soft questions" will be after the Niners beat us to a pulp on opening day??

swede
06-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Avatar bet, Wist. If the Niners beat us I will use the Pillsbury Dough Boy as my avatar for September. If we beat them, you have to use McCarthy as yours for the month.

Maybe this one will size down...

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/03/04/mccarthyx-large.jpg

pbmax
06-21-2013, 12:13 AM
Yeah, that #2 rated defense in 2010 was lucky no one saw it was actually soft. Same for that 6th ranked defense in 2009. And that 7th ranked defense in 2007.

Soft, all of them.

wist43
06-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Avatar bet, Wist. If the Niners beat us I will use the Pillsbury Dough Boy as my avatar for September. If we beat them, you have to use McCarthy as yours for the month.

Maybe this one will size down...

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/03/04/mccarthyx-large.jpg

lol, okay, ur on :)

wist43
06-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Yeah, that #2 rated defense in 2010 was lucky no one saw it was actually soft. Same for that 6th ranked defense in 2009. And that 7th ranked defense in 2007.

Soft, all of them.

After 2010, TT jettisoned size up front and didn't replace it. Collins going down hurt a lot as well...

Now we're in the mess we're in b/c TT ignored the defense in the 2011 draft, then panicked and drafted a bunch of guys that aren't a natural fit for a 3-4, and of course Capers misuses everyone.

Max, I've said many times I like a lot of the players - but Capers is a clueless dunderhead who wants to play as small as possible. Then there is his track record of diminishing returns everywhere he coaches. Year 1 - good turn around; year 2 - very solid defense; year 3 - his influence begins to show up in personnel, and his defenses backslide; year 4 - things get worse; year 5 - he gets fired.

That's Capers MO... he's been fired 6,423 times for a reason.

George Cumby
06-21-2013, 01:49 AM
Curiously, I don't recall sharper as being particularly aggressive in run support.........

woodbuck27
06-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Curiously, I don't recall sharper as being particularly aggressive in run support.........

He'll tell you differently. :wink:

He's something else on NFL Access. That man has a ton of confidence.

Fritz
06-21-2013, 07:53 AM

Of course I have. I like small children very much.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1Tgj1PY4MNMZhMmXGyMl4d5_QQ81Gq Lmrflve_4l4KuyrdWQsOA

ThunderDan
06-21-2013, 07:56 AM

Me either. If I remember correctly he had one incredible season (his contract year) and some good years and a lot of mediocre years.

He was the king of one step slow (TO says thank you) and the king of the halftime hail-mary interception.

Fritz
06-21-2013, 10:31 AM
I think Sharper was very good for maybe two years or so, but then he did seem to always be a half-second late, and yes, I remember times he had a hail mary end of half interception, when it might've benefitted the team for him to just knock the ball down.

Collins was a much, much better safety. So was Butler.

RashanGary
06-21-2013, 02:34 PM
I think Sharper was very good for maybe two years or so, but then he did seem to always be a half-second late, and yes, I remember times he had a hail mary end of half interception, when it might've benefitted the team for him to just knock the ball down.

Collins was a much, much better safety. So was Butler.

We've been blessed with safeties. Sharper is a HOF player, Butler didnt have the int numbers, but I think we consider him a great. Collins was on his way. Thats not a bad run.

HarveyWallbangers
06-21-2013, 04:53 PM
I don't think Sharper is a Hall of Fame player, and it's hard for safeties to get into the Hall of Fame. Hell, Paul Krause had 81 interceptions and it took him 25 years to get into the Hall of Fame. Whether the player was truly elite tends to figure into the voting. Sharper wasn't. If Sharper gets in and Butler doesn't, that would be a travesty. Butler was the better player. Statistically, Sharper had more picks but I believe Butler was the first safety with 20+ career sacks and 20+ career interceptions. At his best Collins may have been better than both -- although I'd still lean towards Butler. Butler, Collins, Sharper in that order.

cheesner
06-21-2013, 07:04 PM
I don't think Sharper is a Hall of Fame player, and it's hard for safeties to get into the Hall of Fame. Hell, Paul Krause had 81 interceptions and it took him 25 years to get into the Hall of Fame. Whether the player was truly elite tends to figure into the voting. Sharper wasn't. If Sharper gets in and Butler doesn't, that would be a travesty. Butler was the better player. Statistically, Sharper had more picks but I believe Butler was the first safety with 20+ career sacks and 20+ career interceptions. At his best Collins may have been better than both -- although I'd still lean towards Butler. Butler, Collins, Sharper in that order.
Sounds reasonable. Sharper was easily the softest of the three. He gave up more plays then he made, IMHO. I was not sad when he left for Minnyl

pbmax
06-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Just remember that we have all agreed to go to Canton for his speech, if Sharper somehow gets inducted, and stand in a simple silent vigil with 4th and 26 signs.

OK, maybe not silent.

mraynrand
06-22-2013, 12:57 AM
Just remember that we have all agreed to go to Canton for his speech, if Sharper somehow gets inducted, and stand in a simple silent vigil with 4th and 26 signs.

OK, maybe not silent.

And put "Randy Moss" or "The Catch II" on the other side.

And if he tries to show off his rings, pull a Putin.

Pugger
06-22-2013, 01:20 AM

Sharper has more than one...?

Fritz
06-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Sharper has more than one...?

New Orleans, right?

Sharper is no hall of famer. Don't forget the SF playoff game in, what, '99?

pbmax
06-22-2013, 08:46 AM

The Putin story has become one of my favorites stories. Its just so awful, like a rejected episode of a TV sitcom.

In this case, reality makes it a far funnier affair.

Pugger
06-22-2013, 08:52 AM
New Orleans, right?

Sharper is no hall of famer. Don't forget the SF playoff game in, what, '99?

Yes, I thought he only got one ring with the Saints but mraynrand said "And if he tries to show off his rings, pull a Putin." :cnf: