PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Alex Green article *discusses knee injury*

RashanGary
06-15-2013, 12:32 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-rb-green-has-healthy-amount-of-hope-b9933735z1-211648021.html

I find it really positive that he was able to play last year, break up some of that scar tissue, not get re-injured and then now have a good off-season. I'm a big Eddie Lacy fan, but boy, it would be great to have another good back.

wist43
06-15-2013, 02:01 AM
I liked Green a lot coming out of college... the injury really set him back. Benson looked much better before he went down, but I attributed Green's pedestrian showing to his knee.

Even if MM can't find it in himself to call more than his standard 3 running plays, I'm hoping we can be better up front with the OL flip. More natural positons for everyone I think.

Fritz
06-15-2013, 09:39 AM
I am rooting for Alex Green. Seems like he has some talent and if he's healthy and strong, I'd like to see what he can do. I know he was supposed to fit into this system and also be a good pass catcher. I understand that he's also a willing blocker.

Upnorth
06-15-2013, 10:16 AM
I liked Green a lot coming out of college... the injury really set him back. Benson looked much better before he went down, but I attributed Green's pedestrian showing to his knee.

Even if MM can't find it in himself to call more than his standard 3 running plays, I'm hoping we can be better up front with the OL flip. More natural positons for everyone I think.

After two years of playing where they were I wonder how natural the switch will be? I'm really disappointed with our ol at this point. Over coming a poor ol is very hard and I still am unconvinced flipping it will do much of anything.

Guiness
06-15-2013, 01:34 PM
No surprise he was playing through the pain last year. Historically, the next season is a wash after a torn ACL. Look at Edgerrin James, Adrian Peterson's recovery was not the norm...and likely not natural.

Joemailman
06-15-2013, 04:20 PM
I kind of suspected there was still something wrong with him last year. For a 220 lb. back, he was too easy to tackle. Broken tackles were few and far between. I think MM has good reason for his optimism that the running game will be better this year.

falco
06-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Have to imagine the 2 draft picks aren't going anywhere, and Harris would have to fall off quite a bit to not make the roster. There is a logjam at the position for sure.

Joemailman
06-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Have to imagine the 2 draft picks aren't going anywhere, and Harris would have to fall off quite a bit to not make the roster. There is a logjam at the position for sure.

I think they'll keep 4, especially if at least 1 is returning kicks. Doesn't look good for Starks.

hoosier
06-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Maybe the league could create a new category for guys like Starks: Preemptive IR. You don't need to have an actually existing injury, just a measurable propensity for them. And you have to stay on the PIR for at least eight weeks.

falco
06-15-2013, 07:47 PM
I think they'll keep 4, especially if at least 1 is returning kicks. Doesn't look good for Starks.

4 plus the FB?

Joemailman
06-15-2013, 08:22 PM
4 plus the FB?

I think so. Last year they kept that many, and also kept 6 WR's which they probably won't do this year. There's room to keep 4 +1, and with 2 rookies, they'll want to keep a couple of veterans.

packer4life
06-16-2013, 04:46 AM
Watch this clip. Get less excited about our 2013 running game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIfhVtcL1BQ

6 men in the box against Franklin or Green or Harris = GAME OVER

woodbuck27
06-16-2013, 06:28 AM
I think so. Last year they kept that many, and also kept 6 WR's which they probably won't do this year. There's room to keep 4 +1, and with 2 rookies, they'll want to keep a couple of veterans.

They have to work out a lot of issues (and men) on the OL and at LB.

PACKERS!

red
06-16-2013, 05:45 PM
hmm, two ways of looking at this

green is looking great and outperforming 2 highly regarded rookies

or

two highly regarded rookies are not looking as good as they were suppose to, leaving a guy who has not looked special in his two years at the top of the depth chart

its a little worrying to me because RB is the one position were you can come in and look great from day 1, without much of a learning curve. if neither rookie is looking like a solid to great RB, then we might have just wasted 2 picks

Joemailman
06-16-2013, 06:38 PM

or

two highly regarded rookies are not looking as good as they were suppose to, leaving a guy who has not looked special in his two years at the top of the depth chart

its a little worrying to me because RB is the one position were you can come in and look great from day 1, without much of a learning curve. if neither rookie is looking like a solid to great RB, then we might have just wasted 2 picks

Relax Red. We're not even to training camp.

Brandon494
06-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Lets see how he performs once the pads go on.

Cheesehead Craig
06-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Bob McGinn didn't write it so it doesn't mean anything.

George Cumby
06-17-2013, 11:26 AM

+1.

Underwear League.

run pMc
06-17-2013, 11:50 AM

or

Wait until TC. They'll give first crack at snaps to the veterans...that's just how it's done, as a courtesy and acknowledgement of their experience. After a couple of days if Green/Starks disappear and don't any/many first team snaps then we'll know who is on the outside looking in. I think they'll try to give Lacy/Franklin a lot of work but it will become obvious if they have talent and who will be starters after a couple of weeks. Pass protection will be a key differentiation. My money's on Green making the roster over Starks.
No way either rookie gets cut unless they morph into Cory Rogers/Ricky Elmore. Maybe TT can package a Bishop/Starks trade for something :)

mraynrand
06-17-2013, 01:37 PM

+1

Lingerie league

George Cumby
06-17-2013, 03:19 PM
+1

Lingerie league

Nice.

Pugger
06-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Maybe the league could create a new category for guys like Starks: Preemptive IR. You don't need to have an actually existing injury, just a measurable propensity for them. And you have to stay on the PIR for at least eight weeks.

Poor Starks. He isn't a bad back but the kid just can't stay healthy. :???:

MadScientist
06-18-2013, 11:48 AM

or

Or 3) It is the OTA's so let the guy who actually knows his ass from his elbow take reps so the rest of the 1's can get some better work in while the rookies take reps with the backups until they learn the playbook.