PDA

View Full Version : Heard This Before: Packers Tried To Trade Rodgers Pick in 2005?

pbmax
06-15-2013, 10:18 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210844/article/whos-ireallyi-in-charge-general-managers-reign-in-nfc-north

The drafting of Aaron Rodgers, for instance, only occurred after Thompson's attempts to trade down failed, leaving the club to take the highest-rated player on its board at a position that wasn't of immediate need.

King Friday
06-15-2013, 10:32 AM
It is not all that surprising. Favre clearly had at least 3 more years in him, so it was a little early to draft his "successor". Rodgers was too good to pass up though, and Thompson didn't give up value just to trade down. He probably figured someone would be willing to move up to get Rodgers and he could get value from the pick in a trade. It didn't happen, and the key is that Thompson didn't stray from his draft board even if it wasn't a position of need. Too many other GMs make the mistake of reaching if the guy/position they wanted is taken a few picks before theirs.

pbmax
06-15-2013, 10:37 AM
It is not all that surprising. Favre clearly had at least 3 more years in him, so it was a little early to draft his "successor". Rodgers was too good to pass up though, and Thompson didn't give up value just to trade down. He probably figured someone would be willing to move up to get Rodgers and he could get value from the pick in a trade. It didn't happen, and the key is that Thompson didn't stray from his draft board even if it wasn't a position of need. Too many other GMs make the mistake of reaching if the guy/position they wanted is taken a few picks before theirs.

Rodgers had to have a high grade because Thompson has traded down quite a bit for lower than chart value to get out of a situation where he has a lot of similar choices left.

pbmax
06-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Here is the front page of this article, which has links to most divisions and the front office structures.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210536/article/whos-ireallyi-in-charge-power-structures-for-all-32-nfl-teams

Guiness
06-15-2013, 11:49 AM
I imagine he did try to get out of that pick, or at least waited by the phone until the last possible minute before sending it in. Obviously he, nor any other GM, had an inkling of the player Rodgers would become. Can't be sure, of course, but probably that year's 2nd round and the following year's 1st would've gotten the pick from TT. Although he doesn't seem to trade for or with non-current year picks, seeming to prefer to move around in the current draft. Has he traded for or with future picks since being with the Pack?

To bring up another old debate, I wonder how much sitting behind Favre contributed to Rodger's success? Not learning from Favre particularly, but maturing and improving as a player. Rodgers certainly didn't look like an MVP his first TC. Or his second! If the Pack had passed on Rodgers, and the Redskins had picked him instead of Jason Campbell and started Rodgers week 1, I wonder how his career would've turned out?:?:

falco
06-15-2013, 04:39 PM
I suppose this shall only add fuel to the fire for those who say Rodgers fell into Thompson's lap?

Guiness
06-15-2013, 05:10 PM
I suppose this shall only add fuel to the fire for those who say Rodgers fell into Thompson's lap?

Of course he fell into Thompson's lap. Right after he fell into the lap of 23 other teams, one of them twice:laugh:

Pugger
06-16-2013, 08:12 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if TT waited by the phone to see if anyone would call with a deal but in the end he took the highest rated player on the board. I don't know if he benefited by watching Favre but he was fortunate that he got the coaching from MM and Clements those first couple of years. I don't buy the "AR feel into TT's lap" scenario. TT didn't have to pick him. TT could have followed what those other GMs did and picked for need over the BPA. I am so grateful Ted didn't pass him up and I'm sure there are several other gentlemen kicking themselves in hindsight.

falco
06-16-2013, 08:35 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if TT waited by the phone to see if anyone would call with a deal but in the end he took the highest rated player on the board. I don't know if he benefited by watching Favre but he was fortunate that he got the coaching from MM and Clements those first couple of years. I don't buy the "AR feel into TT's lap" scenario. TT didn't have to pick him. TT could have followed what those other GMs did and picked for need over the BPA. I am so grateful Ted didn't pass him up and I'm sure there are several other gentlemen kicking themselves in hindsight.

Not taking anything away from AROD either, but I am also of the opinion that he benefited greatly from tutoring under Mike McCarthy et al. It was a good pick, but I also think Thompson invested in a staff that could develop a good QB.

woodbuck27
06-16-2013, 08:53 AM

I believe that Aaron Rodgers fell into TT's lap because he did. That today TT would say that he did. That he feels fortunate that he used pick #24 in the 2005 Draft to pick him.

PACKERS !

RashanGary
06-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Tom Brady fell into NEs lap. Sucess is what happens when great things continually fall into our laps. These things, success, are so random and unpredictable. Its like rolling the yatzee die. You get what you get, but the surprise of it all makes real life the erratic, chaotic gamble that it is. TT has had a good, lucky yatzee run. Hed tell you the same ;)

RashanGary
06-16-2013, 09:36 AM
The Packers don't have a highly successful draft strategy that allows them to continually get quality talent from the draft. Its like Yatzee, everyone knows five 6's when they see them :)

A probowl player falls to every slot in the draft. If you weren't an arrogant old canadian, you'd probably realize the hard part is knowing enough to select the pro bowl player every time. Welcome to reality, woodbuck. The Packers could have picked anyone. They picked AR. It was a bit of a contraversy if you recall. People didnt think of AR as a sure thing or he would have went number 1. Just ask MM. He liked Alex Smith better.

sharpe1027
06-16-2013, 09:59 AM
I believe that Aaron Rodgers fell into TT's lap because he did. That today TT would say that he did. That he feels fortunate that he used pick #24 in the 2005 Draft to pick him.

PACKERS !

Unless you have the first pick, every player falls into ever GMs lap.

Pugger
06-16-2013, 10:13 AM

PACKERS !

Yes, Rodgers did fall but Ted didn't necessarily have to pick him. Every top player - except the first overall pick - falls to you but the smarter GMs will take the BPA and not just draft for need. If memory serves there were folks who weren't thrilled with this pick because we had other needs and #4 still playing at a high level.

Smeefers
06-16-2013, 07:10 PM
I remember Rodgers absolutely blowing for his first two years. He also broke his foot in his second year and I could remember all the durability questions that came into play with him. I was cursing TT's name back then. Boy, do I have egg on my face or what?

pbmax
06-16-2013, 07:54 PM
I remember Rodgers absolutely blowing for his first two years. He also broke his foot in his second year and I could remember all the durability questions that came into play with him. I was cursing TT's name back then. Boy, do I have egg on my face or what?

Yes. He was awful in preseason in his first year. And in his second he was better but not lights out. He was no Mr. August Matt Hasselback.

RashanGary
06-16-2013, 08:30 PM

Eh, every GM in the NFL is wrong every year on half of their moves. That's football. I'd gladly have egg on my face if it means the Packers win a title or two.

I was glad we had Brian Brohm, so we had two QBs that could possibly pan out. I certainly didn't think Rodgers was the sure thing Woodbuck has claimed he was since day one :) :)

HarveyWallbangers
06-17-2013, 12:32 AM
I didn't want Thompson to draft Rodgers. Green Bay was coming off four straight division titles. Yes, you knew age was catching up with them, but I was hoping they'd make another run. I also thought Rodgers was yet another Tedford QB who would be a bust. I can't say that Rodgers fell to Thompson, when I myself didn't want him to draft Rodgers. I wanted him to trade down. Rodgers would probably be in Washington if I were the Packers GM in 2005.

On the other hand, I was on board with the Nick Collins pick in round 2, when most thought it was a WTF pick by Thompson.

mraynrand
06-17-2013, 07:42 AM
I certainly didn't think Rodgers was the sure thing Woodbuck has claimed he was since day one :) :)

He was injury prone!

denverYooper
06-17-2013, 08:33 AM
He was injury prone!

woodbuck27
06-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Eh, every GM in the NFL is wrong every year on half of their moves. That's football. I'd gladly have egg on my face if it means the Packers win a title or two.

I was glad we had Brian Brohm, so we had two QBs that could possibly pan out. I certainly didn't think Rodgers was the sure thing Woodbuck has claimed he was since day one :) :)

Why don't you get a grip? Smarten up JustinHarrell... Try to post with some common sense and decency. You have much more ability to do so then what I'm reading of late and your agenda of personal attacks.

" I certainly didn't think Rodgers was the sure thing Woodbuck has claimed he was since day one. " JustinHarrell

Find my post (s) ... any references ... where I claimed that Aaron Rodgers was 'the sure thing', since day one; or since TT drafted him? :???:

Aaron Rodgers since drafted was developed as the heir apparent to Brett Favre. I never imagined that he would turn out as he has to date? I sit here today with my fingers crossed. Having faith that his success isn't jinxed by the likes of JustinHarrell. I don't believe that your attitude towards his predecessor is good karma. Positive begets a positive and seldom the other way around.

Aaron Rodgers status as an NFL QB is a nice surprize for me.

Aaron Rodgers was raw when drafted. He needed special attention from Mike McCarthy and his (then) QB coach Tom Clements to be prepared to be a supremely competent NFL QB. I believe that it took him time, sitting behind Brett Favre, to develop anywhere close to the QB that we enjoy today. Posters here have brought up his past injury history and it looked to me like he had bad luck. One time if I recall it correctly, he was injured falling off the end of a bench. He looked to me then as 'injury prone'.

I'll always recall that very exciting playoff game (a Packer loss) Vs Arizona in the Wild Card round of the 2009 playoffs. I felt it was in that game that Aaron Rodgers arrived as an NFL QB. I've enjoyed nothing but good from him since.

I see him maturing and making what I deem 'the right moves' JustinHarrel. His Rome wasn't built in a day as no one's ever is. Progress in reality therapy takes personal conviction based in correct analysis without denial of negatives. A focus on enjoying the ride.

Why are you so angry? Maybe? Simply try to not bring your personal issues on this forum. That would be nice. Taking me on is really stupid. :-)

Recall and enjoy this recent past Green Bay Packer history. There's more out there on this, yet all the same:

http://arizonasports.com/40/1620018/Cards-vs-Packers-playoff-shootout-up-for-vote

http://karenwatson.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/joefriday19.jpg

Focus on the facts man....just the facts. (ala Joe Friday)

GO PACKERS !

Smeefers
06-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Crimminies that's a big picture.

woodbuck27
06-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Crimminies that's a big picture.

No kidding... that surprized me. :laugh:

He was a big man way back then. I'm now realizing maybe? really ... really big.

Here's a rather BIG write-up on Jack Webb:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Webb

PACKERS !

Upnorth
06-18-2013, 01:45 PM

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away...

I for one wanted ted to draft a qb, however i thought arod was a tedford bust waiting to happen. I would like to take this oppertunity to also admit that outside of RB selections I absoultly suck at fantasy football.

woodbuck27
06-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away...

I for one wanted ted to draft a qb, however i thought arod was a tedford bust waiting to happen. I would like to take this oppertunity to also admit that outside of RB selections I absoultly suck at fantasy football.

Fantasy football takes 'the luck of the draw' and good preparation prior to the draft. After that some attention to team management and luck.

Why not consider giving the Pro Pickem' a shot this coming season Upnorth. Something for a different challenge?

It takes a solid commitment that's challenging, and keeps one focused on the NFL overall.

PACKERS !

Pugger
06-19-2013, 09:26 AM
I was pretty excited to get Rodgers that day. I didn't know anything about Tedford's QBs often being a bust in the NFL. All I remember was this kid was projected to be a first overall pick. I found it rather baffling that team and after team passed on him and I had no clue back then if TT would follow suit. I'm just so glad Ted took what he considered the best player on the board at the time and didn't draft for 'need'.