PDA

View Full Version : Donald Driver

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Good article on an underrated player.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060824/PKR07/608240511/1989

Driver should get more recognition
By Mike Vandermause

Packers rookie receiver Greg Jennings had just dropped a pass after getting decked by Atlanta Falcons safety Chris Crocker with a vicious hit over the middle last Saturday night.

When Jennings got to the sidelines, fellow receiver Donald Driver was in his face.

"You would think he would ask me, was I all right?" said Jennings with a smile. "But he was like, you got to tuck (the ball) quicker, you got to tuck it quicker."

Jennings reflected for a moment and added: "That's why our receiving corps is going to be so good, because of the leadership that (Driver) brings. He's always coaching us on the field, off the field, and just giving us advice."

Driver received a contract extension from the Packers during the offseason and will be paid $17 million over the next four years. He will be worth every penny.

Not only is Driver the Packers' go-to receiver, he also serves as a bona fide locker room leader and unofficial assistant coach.

"Every time I come to the sideline, Driver's always in my ear, giving me some words of wisdom, some of his knowledge," said Jennings. "He sees everything. It's great to be out there with someone like that."

What's baffling is that Driver is so valuable, yet so under appreciated in some NFL circles. The Packers know how lucky they are to have the eighth-year receiver in the fold through 2009. But it's amazing how many people outside the organization still question whether Driver is a legitimate No. 1 receiver.

Driver has gone over the 1,000-yard receiving mark three of the past four years, something only eight other receivers in the NFL can claim. He has caught more than 80 passes in back-to-back seasons, something only two other receivers in Packers history have accomplished.

He makes tough catches over the middle. He plays hurt. He has the supreme confidence of quarterback Brett Favre. At 31, when many NFL players are in decline, Driver is getting better.

"My goal is to prove people wrong, show 'em that my career is not over yet, it's pretty much just started," said Driver.

He has been proving people wrong his entire career. He wasn't supposed to make the team when he was drafted in the seventh round in 1999. Driver went on to earn a Pro Bowl berth in 2002, becoming the third-lowest drafted Packer in team history to gain such an honor.

Despite his success, Driver takes nothing for granted. He considers himself on the bubble every training camp and attempts to prove himself all over again.

Driver doesn't ignore his critics. "I take that with me on the field," he said. "I don't block anything out. Every Sunday I've got a chip on my shoulder."

Driver posted an impressive six-catch, 75-yard performance in the first half alone last week against the Falcons, an indication he is headed for another banner season.

Driver said he wants to play nine more years in the NFL. He's in excellent physical shape, and considering his track record, who's to say he couldn't pull it off?

"Maybe I'll get the credit one day after I'm done and retired," he said. "I'll get the credit of being a top receiver in the National Football League."

In the meantime, Driver will keep doing his job, and doing it well.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

fan4life
08-24-2006, 08:04 AM
Great article. I'm hoping the Favre to Donald connection gets the recognition is deserves as one of the most exciting, productive combos in the NFL. Steve Smith has noting on DD, IMHO.

Badgepack
08-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Beside his teaching the younger players on the field, I love his enthusiasm
when another player makes a good play. DD is huge asset to this team with his play and attitude. Very refreshing after seeing the behavior of JWalk, MM, Roman, ect...

Homer Jay
08-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Who better to teach the benifits of hard work. I always smile when "experts" say Driver is not an elite receiver. The only thing he is missing is the name recognition. I'm glad he is a Packer.

MasonCrosby
08-24-2006, 10:23 AM
i always liked Driver the best out of all the receivers. he always seems upbeat and he never seemed to be a gaudy showboat like the TOs and the Chad Johnsons of football... plus he always produces...

FavreChild
08-24-2006, 10:32 AM
DD pretty much embodies the definition of "Packer people."

He is an amazing player, an amazing leader, an amazing teacher, an amazing teammate, and an amazing person.

I don't care if he doesn't get the national recognition, so long as *we* recognize and appreciate him. Besides, being under the media microscope is a big part of the reason why Brett isn't the vocal team leader he used to be. It's too much of a distraction. Just let DD keep on doin' his thing. :cool:

woodbuck27
08-24-2006, 10:32 AM
I can recall sitting at my puter the day we drafted Donald Driver. I looked at his atleticism and his background and I expressed to my Packer Bud's... back Home, that this young man was someone to watch.

I still recall one of his first or his first reception with a leaping grab down the left side of the field. I recall his first TD somewhere back there in my grey matter and I knew he had arrived.

I started to pull for him... the way I will CB/WR/KR/PR Will Blackmon.

I refer to OUR Packer WR as ...

Donald "The MAN" Driver because he is something else.

Donald Driver is "a PACKER GUY". I LOVE Donald Driver.

GOOD LUCK in 2006 Mr.Driver. :mrgreen:

Merlin
08-24-2006, 12:24 PM
I have been watching the Packers ever since I can remember. The biggest reason I am a Packer fan isn't because I live in Wisconsin, it isn't because of any one particular player and it isn't because they have won more championships than any other NFL team. It's because of the class of the organization and the players.

The Packers let a number of good players go because either their attitude, personailty or actions didn't fit:

Chuck Cecil
Javon Walker
Sterling Sharpe (He would have been let go if he didn't get injured)
James Lofton
Mike McKenzie
Cledius Hunt (despite the fact he was a tub o' lard his last few seasons)
Mark Chumura (he never would have been asked back)
Antonito Freeman
And on and on...

The Packers have a history of also keeping players that play for the love of the game and it isn't always about the money:

Donald Driver, William Henderson, Ahman Green, Edgar Bennet, Doresy Levens, KGB, Aaron Kampman, Brett Favre, Robert Brooks, Bubba Franks, and on and on and on.

That's why I love this team. A couple of up and comming players who fit the mold: Nick Collins, AJ Hawk, Aaron Rogers (his attitude is a lot better this year), Greg Jennings, Samkon Gado, Brady Popinga, John Ryan.

Players I think will be gone in a few years because of their "me" attitude: Ahamad Carroll, Charles Woodson, Darren Colledge, Kevin Barry, Robert Ferguson (although he has been pretty silent thusfar this season).

Overall the Packers have what I think is the best core group in the NFL. If the young talent gels, then the 53 man roster next year may not look so much different than this year~!

woodbuck27
08-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Nice post MerlinWizard222.

I agree with you on the quality of " the Packer Organization " ....

and how about televised games at Lambeau?

Packer fans !! W.I.L.D. !!

When I read your post I thought that the name Nick Barnett was conspiculously missing.

1. What's your take MerlinWizard222... on OUR current MLB?

Second question MerlinWizard222:

2. What is your take... and this is difficult, till you see him, but based on all you know .. Your take on Abdul Hodge?

Maybe you watched him in College games, or picked up on the video of him available on yahoo Sports - the players of the 2006 College Draft/

A nice resource, by the way MerlinWizard222 ,or anyone at PACKERRATS that's missed this resource.

If you go there... check out video of Greg Jennings and Will Blackmon and tell me what you see in Blackmon.

Impressed with Tyrone Culver yet? He seems to be a no nonsence . get it done RIGHT, right now player. He's certainly stepping up for himself and us.

:mrgreen: P A C K E R S :mrgreen:

How's he going to be for us?

Joemailman
08-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Maybe if Driver denigrated his quarterback, ran over a cop, or constantly complained about not getting the ball enough, he'd be more appreciated nationally. I think the problem is, he's so consistent, he gets overlooked. Sort of like Rod Smith in Denver. Driver seems to be going out of his way this year to actively try to exert leadership, which is great to see. The Packers have lacked that in recent years.

Driver was asked earlier this year by Jim Rome if he really thinks he can be this team's #1 receiver. Driver's answer was, "I've always been this team's #1 receiver." (I think that was meant for you, Javon).

Partial
08-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Great article. I'm hoping the Favre to Donald connection gets the recognition is deserves as one of the most exciting, productive combos in the NFL. Steve Smith has noting on DD, IMHO.

Then you're smoking crack. :wink:

Partial
08-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Maybe if Driver denigrated his quarterback, ran over a cop, or constantly complained about not getting the ball enough, he'd be more appreciated nationally. I think the problem is, he's so consistent, he gets overlooked. Sort of like Rod Smith in Denver. Driver seems to be going out of his way this year to actively try to exert leadership, which is great to see. The Packers have lacked that in recent years.

Driver was asked earlier this year by Jim Rome if he really thinks he can be this team's #1 receiver. Driver's answer was, "I've always been this team's #1 receiver." (I think that was meant for you, Javon).

Well said

falco
08-24-2006, 09:39 PM
The Packers let a number of good players go because either their attitude, personailty or actions didn't fit:

Chuck Cecil
Javon Walker
Sterling Sharpe (He would have been let go if he didn't get injured)
James Lofton
Mike McKenzie
Cledius Hunt (despite the fact he was a tub o' lard his last few seasons)
Mark Chumura (he never would have been asked back)
Antonito Freeman
And on and on...

The packers would have kept most of those players if they hadn't forced their way out of town. And Sharpe and Chumura are just your uninformed speculation.

Scott Campbell
08-25-2006, 09:13 AM
Players I think will be gone in a few years because of their "me" attitude: Ahamad Carroll, Charles Woodson, Darren Colledge, Kevin Barry, Robert Ferguson (although he has been pretty silent thusfar this season).

I don't understand lumping Colledge and Kevin Barry in with those guys.

Scott Campbell
08-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Too bad Brett didn't say he wanted to play 9 more years when he was 31. That would have saved a lot of people a lot of grief.

Partial
08-25-2006, 09:19 AM

I don't understand lumping Colledge and Kevin Barry in with those guys.

Colledge has been reported as an arrogant ass, but i've never heard such a thing with KB

Scott Campbell
08-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Colledge has been reported as an arrogant ass.............

I haven't found any articles reporting that. Can you point me to any?

Partial
08-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Colledge has been reported as an arrogant ass.............

I haven't found any articles reporting that. Can you point me to any?

No, but I will look for one.

Pack0514
08-25-2006, 10:21 AM
This is the best I could come up with for an arrogance label for Colledge.

From JSOnline artice:

....Despite his shortcomings with upper-body strength, the Packers think he can function well enough this year if he would clean up his technique. Perhaps because he is playing a new position or perhaps because he thought he had the left guard position locked up, Colledge did not make the strides he needed to in the technique department.

Labeled cocky by some scouts, Colledge was forced to eat a big slice of humble pie when he was sent to the second team.

"It's most disappointing to me because I let it happen," Colledge said......

Complete article at: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=487046

Scott Campbell
08-25-2006, 02:23 PM
I dunno, I think it would be unfortunate for us to turn on one of our own with this kind of scant evidence.