PDA

View Full Version : Mike McCarthy Interview: Packers Coach Talks Success, Toughness, and More

woodbuck27
06-23-2013, 11:18 PM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2013/6/21/4451746/packers-coach-mccarthy-interview-success-toughness

Mike McCarthy Interview: Packers Coach Talks Success, Toughness, and More

By: Josh VanDyke on Jun 21 2013, 4:17 PM  @JVanDyke24

" Mike McCarthy recently sat down with Packers Plus and had some interesting insight on his team's mental state, adjustments within the organization, and ..." Fr. LINK above.

Please click on LINK for the results of a good interview with HC Mike McCarthy.

GO PACK GO !

wist43
06-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Toughness??

He coaches the softest team in the NFL - by a far stretch. We may have better skill position talent than most teams, but toughness?? The 49er's cheerleaders are tougher than our offensive linemen.

There's a reason McCarthy has to constantly defend the "soft" charge - it's b/c his team is the softest in the NFL. It seems only he and TT are the only ones that don't see it.

Pugger
06-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Soft teams don't win in double digits year in and year out. Yes, we are a finesse team but this is a passing league. However, apparently TT and MM did see something because it is clear this year we are going to seriously try to become more balanced by running the ball - otherwise we wouldn't have spent 2 precious draft picks on RBs.

Upnorth
06-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Toughness??

He coaches the softest team in the NFL - by a far stretch. We may have better skill position talent than most teams, but toughness?? The 49er's cheerleaders are tougher than our offensive linemen.

There's a reason McCarthy has to constantly defend the "soft" charge - it's b/c his team is the softest in the NFL. It seems only he and TT are the only ones that don't see it.

When I play sports, I think of teh soft teams as the ones I want to face because they are easy to beat. Do some other teams have more physical strenght and power than the packers? Of course.
Do teams look forward to playing the packers? I doubt it.

Can't see them as soft, they do have weaknesses but soft aint one of them. To me last years greatest weakness were twofold, ILB's and the OL's interior blocking (Saturday). I think they both got better by subtraction. Saturday is gone and without the ILB's having to worry about supporting the outside opposite CM they can focus on their job. Neither is a great solution, but I do think we are better off this year (assuming we have only a normal amount of injuries)

wist43
06-28-2013, 03:10 PM
When I play sports, I think of teh soft teams as the ones I want to face because they are easy to beat. Do some other teams have more physical strenght and power than the packers? Of course.
Do teams look forward to playing the packers? I doubt it.

Can't see them as soft, they do have weaknesses but soft aint one of them. To me last years greatest weakness were twofold, ILB's and the OL's interior blocking (Saturday). I think they both got better by subtraction. Saturday is gone and without the ILB's having to worry about supporting the outside opposite CM they can focus on their job. Neither is a great solution, but I do think we are better off this year (assuming we have only a normal amount of injuries)

I can guarentee you the Niners, Seahawks, and Giants don't respect the Packers - why would they, they routinely beat us up.

The Seahawks game was very close, but they were starting a rookie QB in his 3rd game and were far from the team that emerged by the end of the season. They sacked Rodgers 8 times in the 1st half, lol. The Giants beat the living hell out of us every time we face them - if they had any DB's at all, those games wouldn't even be as close as they were; and of course the Niners own us.

The Vikings don't have enough skill position players to hang with Rodgers and our receivers, but in the trenches it's no contest. Peterson averaged what?? 200 yds/gm?? Good grief, a Pop Warner team should be able to hold him to 180!!!

No, the Packers have some of the best skill position players in the league - but they're so weak in the trenches that it's hard to view them in the same class as those other, more physical teams.

The OL flip should help a little, but MM has only 3 running plays and that isn't going to change; and Capers is still our DC - he doesn't need an excuse to jump into a 2-4 nickel... he wants to play as small as possible. I loved that 1-10 alignment at the end of the 1st half against Seattle. He should have been fired at halftime for shear stupidity.

Pugger
06-28-2013, 11:56 PM
If this team is as weak and soft as Wist seems to think we are gonna get killed playing all these teams on our schedule and will be in the basement of the division before Halloween. Might as well cede it to MN now seeing we can't beat them either. Maybe we should can the GM and coaching staff who assembled this bunch of pansies once and for all.

:-?

wist43
06-29-2013, 08:27 AM
If this team is as weak and soft as Wist seems to think we are gonna get killed playing all these teams on our schedule and will be in the basement of the division before Halloween. Might as well cede it to MN now seeing we can't beat them either. Maybe we should can the GM and coaching staff who assembled this bunch of pansies once and for all.

:-?

It's a passing league - and as long as Rodgers gets the ball out before the ballarinas in front of him collapse, we're tough to stop.

The league has given the offense all the advantages, so given our elite passing game personnel, we'll be tough to beat for several years - that doesn't mean we're a tough team.

Pugger
06-29-2013, 10:28 AM
It's a passing league - and as long as Rodgers gets the ball out before the ballarinas in front of him collapse, we're tough to stop.

The league has given the offense all the advantages, so given our elite passing game personnel, we'll be tough to beat for several years - that doesn't mean we're a tough team.

Yes, we'll win games but will we be good enough to win the big one again?

wist43
06-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Yes, we'll win games but will we be good enough to win the big one again?

Maybe...

I think our talent on defense has been improved quite a bit in the last 2 drafts - the biggest problem we have on defense is Capers. He is determined to play as small as a possible, and is clueless to adjust when his initial gameplan doesn't work.

I think Capers gets fired after this season - if things get bad enough, maybe mid-season.

Our OL is a tremendous weakness - and MM's stubborn refusal to incorporate power running plays will plague the team until an anvil drops from the sky and knocks some sense into him.

Those things said, I think we can do enough on offense - even with the pathetic OL, and MM's girly philosophy; and assuming Capers gets fired - the talent TT has brought in can be coached and schemed up to be very effective.

I think we can win another one while Rodgers is still in his prime - but it depends on those things happening.

Pugger
06-29-2013, 03:55 PM
By drafting Lacy and Franklin it appears MM is starting to see the light. I wonder if last season with all of our injuries on D handcuffed Capers at times. Hopefully getting Perry and drafting Jones will make a difference along with Walden now playing in Indy. ;-)