PDA

View Full Version : Trading a 1ST ROUND PICK for a Coach ???

Bretsky
06-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Curious if anybody would be willing to do what just occured in the NBA. It was a hot debate on NFL Radio Today.

Let's say your coach sux; let's say you have a Jack Del Rio....sub par type coach.

Would you give up a 1st round pick for a coach, if if so what ones would you trade for ?

On NFL Network Ross Tucker listed Coughlin, McCarthy, Hoody Genius, and Tomlin as the four he'd trade a 1st round pick for

He was right on the border with the Harbaraughs

THOUGHTS ?????????????????????????

Pugger
06-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Interesting question but I can't see any of the teams that now employ any of these coaches - except maybe NYG because Coughlin is getting a little long in the tooth - that would be interested in making such a trade.

Guiness
06-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Interesting question but I can't see any of the teams that now employ any of these coaches - except maybe NYG because Coughlin is getting a little long in the tooth - that would be interested in making such a trade.

Yup...which I think re-inforces that they are worth it.

Willard
06-24-2013, 10:23 PM
The Raiders got a 1st and 2nd in 2002, a first in 2003, a second in 2004, cash, and a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos from the Bucs for Jon Gruden. Then Gruden beat Oakland in the Super Bowl the next year. Wild and wacky stuff!

woodbuck27
06-25-2013, 02:47 AM
Yup...which I think re-inforces that they are worth it.

Ever since you pointing this out to me a few weeks ago Guiness RE: The Green Bay Packers **Mt. Rushmore and Vince Lombardi being a 'must have'.

I've thought hard about the importance of the coach even with the most talented men on a team roster.

I agree with you.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuRxtiFRGUBQpAyfXdaV3ssBkWRzow5 a8vf8hN2S-EpmsfKz8r

The Green Bay Packers Vince Lombardi is Numero Uno.

Today my Packers Mt. Rushmore wouldn't be exactly as the fans made it but rather:

Vince Lombardi; ** Don Hutson; Bart Starr and Brett Favre

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROo_tJf5p8rnlKMtEfL6oTevkT-wrHswfD1ykBx7Sofm2z0tbLyQ

** Don Hutson

That guy should not have been overlooked.

GO PACK GO !

Living and Learning.

Pugger
06-25-2013, 07:43 AM
If you're gonna have Vince up there you really can't ignore that other HC who won a bunch of titles either.

Joemailman
06-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Somewhat off topic, but this reminds me that back in 1992, the Packers had to give the 49ers a 2nd round pick before the 49ers would release Holmgren. It was 1 of 2 2nd round picks the Packers had received for Tim Harris. The 49ers were claiming the Packers had concealed some information about Harris when the trade was made. http://www.nytimes.com/1992/01/12/sports/sports-people-pro-football-packers-get-holmgren-but-the-49ers-gain-too.html

How Holmgren must have relished knocking the Forty Whiners out of the playoffs 1995-1997 after that!

mraynrand
06-25-2013, 08:11 AM
Can we get a conditional seventh round pick for Capers?

3irty1
06-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Curious if anybody would be willing to do what just occured in the NBA. It was a hot debate on NFL Radio Today.

Let's say your coach sux; let's say you have a Jack Del Rio....sub par type coach.

Would you give up a 1st round pick for a coach, if if so what ones would you trade for ?

On NFL Network Ross Tucker listed Coughlin, McCarthy, Hoody Genius, and Tomlin as the four he'd trade a 1st round pick for

He was right on the border with the Harbaraughs

THOUGHTS ?????????????????????????

Add Sean Payton to that list for me as guys I'd easily trade a 1st for. There are probably others that are worth it. Definitely some GM's that are worth a first as well. Or I'm possibly undervaluing a 1st round pick because the last 3 of ours were all out for the season last year.

hoosier
06-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Hard not to include John Harbaugh in that group. The Raven team he has taken to the AFC championship game twice in a row has not been the most talented (or even healthy) team in the conference. The only possible strike against John is his filial connection to Jim.

Upnorth
06-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Can we get a conditional seventh round pick for Capers?

Only if you package in Slocum on a Wednesday.

Cheesehead Craig
06-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Only if you package in Slocum on a Wednesday.

Repped for geniusness.

woodbuck27
06-25-2013, 11:49 AM
If you're gonna have Vince up there you really can't ignore that other HC who won a bunch of titles either.

You take any 'Top Four ' that 'you' may choose.

pbmax
06-25-2013, 06:16 PM
After some consideration, I want to say yes, in some circumstances I would. Holmgren is the perfect example.

But the Clippers just did it. And by rule that makes it not just a bad idea, but possible one that will haunt future generations. Even Danny Manning's kids have a limp from his knee injury.

Smeefers
06-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Coaches can only do so much. Teams are bad normally due to poor front office moves. Look at the Dolphins. They had Don Shula, they had Jimmy Johnson and even with Dan Marino they couldn't do much in the post season.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it takes the whole package to even get a chance at a deep playoff run but the most important part is the players. If I'm a team in need of improving, I wouldn't want to give up a shot at a great player. If I'm a team that has a great coach, one player isn't going to entice me enough to let a great coach go. What it would take for me to give up a great coach would be much more than a poor team would be willing to give up.

Gah, I feel like I'm trying to bite my own ear in explaining my position.

So no. No, I would not trade a coach for a 1st rounder.

swede
06-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Hard not to include John Harbaugh in that group. The Raven team he has taken to the AFC championship game twice in a row has not been the most talented (or even healthy) team in the conference. The only possible strike against John is his filial connection to Jim.

John, no doubt, laments this point more keenly than we ever could.

mraynrand
06-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Coaches can only do so much. Teams are bad normally due to poor front office moves. Look at the Dolphins. They had Don Shula, they had Jimmy Johnson and even with Dan Marino they couldn't do much in the post season.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it takes the whole package to even get a chance at a deep playoff run but the most important part is the players. If I'm a team in need of improving, I wouldn't want to give up a shot at a great player. If I'm a team that has a great coach, one player isn't going to entice me enough to let a great coach go. What it would take for me to give up a great coach would be much more than a poor team would be willing to give up.

Gah, I feel like I'm trying to bite my own ear in explaining my position.

So no. No, I would not trade a coach for a 1st rounder.

The whole thing is a silly bargain anyway. OF course you make the trade because you are getting a "Great Coach." By definition that's a guy who will win championships, or at least consistently take you deep into the playoffs. That's worth a John Michaels, an AJ Hawk, even an Aaron Rodgers, because the "Great Coach" will just greatly coach the next guy to be the next Aaron Rodgers

RashanGary
06-26-2013, 09:34 AM
If I was an owner or president of an NFL team, I'd hire a great GM, then I'd have him hire a HC. There are great coaches just waiting for the chance to have their own team. I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick because I think a really good GM knows how to find a great coach.

The 49ers, Steelers, Packers and Ravens are examples of recent teams who've done it the way I think works best.

woodbuck27
06-26-2013, 11:57 AM
If I was an owner or president of an NFL team, I'd hire a great GM, then I'd have him hire a HC. There are great coaches just waiting for the chance to have their own team. I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick because I think a really good GM knows how to find a great coach.

The 49ers, Steelers, Packers and Ravens are examples of recent teams who've done it the way I think works best.

I'd add the Seahawks, Falcons, Vikings and Bears. The Texans are looking better of late as well.

All teams that may be following the Green Bay Packers blue print.

GO PACKERS !

Smeefers
06-26-2013, 08:17 PM
I think the Falcons overpaid for Julio Jones. They got stuck in the "just one more player to put us over the top" mindset which in and of itself is a fallacy. They gave up the kitchen sink for the guy and in no way is he worth Phil Taylor, Brandon Weedon and Trent Richardson plus Greg Little and Owen Maeric who are both still with the team. I think that's why they've sort of stalled out where they're at and pretty soon all that young talent is going to want to get paid. I don't buy into the vikings just yet. They may be really really good in some spots, but they're really really bad in others. I have trouble giving props to the bears when they're defense is old and slow... and that's what they mostly depend on. Sure they have cutler, marshal and Forte but they don't have anyone else on offense as far as I'm concerned.

I have no idea about the Texans. I don't follow them at all so I'll reserve my judgement on them.

Guiness
06-26-2013, 08:49 PM

Well, rephrase the question then - would you trade a 1st round pick for a GM? That's the spirit in which I took the question, would you be willing to give up a player for staff?

ThunderDan
06-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Well, rephrase the question then - would you trade a 1st round pick for a GM? That's the spirit in which I took the question, would you be willing to give up a player for staff?

If that was the case and I was the gm you were talking to, I would trade me and my 1st rounder to my new team for a 5th.

Fritz
06-27-2013, 01:41 PM
If that was the case and I was the gm you were talking to, I would trade me and my 1st rounder to my new team for a 5th.

Which coaches are worth which draft picks? Is Mike McCarthy worth a first, a second, a conditional sixth?

Is Jim Schwartz worth a shit?

Is The Hooded One worth a pair of first rounders, or is his magic spent?

How much is Mike Tomlin worth, or is it the Pittsburgh organization that makes him who he is?

Cheesehead Craig
06-27-2013, 03:08 PM
I like Tomlin a lot. I think he's worth more than BB personally.

Your comment on Tomlin could certainly apply to MM as well.

MadScientist
06-27-2013, 03:23 PM

MM develops QB, which would help him be successful in just about any organization.

Upnorth
06-27-2013, 03:46 PM
I like Tomlin a lot. I think he's worth more than BB personally.

I am beginning to wonder if BB is not what he once was. Prior to Brady he was a 'defensive guru' or so I have read, but since they have gone to a high powered offence the defence has become somewhat of a joke, at least in some areas. I'm not saying BB sucks, but rather that while he is good there are better, such as Tomlin and possibly Harbaugh and MM.

RashanGary
06-27-2013, 06:28 PM
I don't think BB is the best coach either. MM, Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Coughlin. . . . All guys I think get more out of what they have than BB.

pbmax
06-27-2013, 08:43 PM
I think Belichick the coach is fine, but like Sherman marching toward BJ Sanderville, his GM is letting him down.

hoosier
06-28-2013, 04:57 PM
I think Belichick the coach is fine, but like Sherman marching toward BJ Sanderville, his GM is letting him down.

I don't know about that, I guess it depends on how we evaluate the GM. It looks to me like BB the GM has done a good job of stockpiling high draft picks to restock the roster. He hasn't hit on all of his high picks but he has found some gems in the second (Gronkowski, Spikes) and third (Ridley). And he doesn't make the mistake of holding onto players a year too long. New England's main trouble is that, like Rodgers in 2011, they set the bar so high from 2001-04 that anything less is going to look like failure.

Bretsky
06-28-2013, 08:51 PM

THIS.....BIG TIME....SPOT ON

Odd as it sounds, my three favorite teams are the PACK, then the RAMS (yes I hated Dallas so much in the 80's I became a Ram fan), and the Patriots

I think Hoody is the best coach in the NFL hands down; I think Hoody does some nice job making trades...but for the most part he is a terrible drafter and evaluator. Hoody neeeds a GM to protect himself from himself.

Scott Pioli and Hoody were perhaps the greatest combo ever; if I was TT I'd have Pioli hired already. There is nothing wrong with having too much talent in the front office.

As a GM Hoody is a nightmare and since Pioli has left IMO he has forgotten about what was once regarding Patriot Players

On the NFL Network they were noting how Hoody and Piolo often debated...professionally.....about whether to bring low character players in and Pioli often rained Hoody in from his madness of brining in talented bad people

Lately he's gone mad. Moss was great year one but a douchebag with NE year two..and each spot he then went to. Albert Haynesworth....COME ON MAN....he was horrible for their locker room.

The spat between Hernandez and Welker is documented due to a "rookie" comment Welker made. Hernandez was a thug.....1st round talent but off many teams draft boards because he's a thug. There are other examples but these are the most glaring

Gonze has turned out ok but he had concerns over maturity and that is why he fell

I think Hoody the GM has really tarnished the Patriot once strong locker room and now besides Brady the team is devoid of leaders.

Robert Kraft would be wise to convince Hoody he is overextended and needs a GM to run the show