View Full Version : Context Free Graph of the Day: Arrests By NFL Team

pbmax
06-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Since 2000. http://tangotiger.com/index.php/site/comments/nfl-arrests

http://i.imgur.com/fJeoSLsh.png

sooner6600
06-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks pbmax.

Wonder if nfl arrests compare to normal arrests.
Would like to know the variance.

Mabe Patler can get into the mix.

RashanGary
06-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Lotta success in the 13-20 arrest range. I don't know much about the teams in the lowest arrest range, but maybe their GM's are too rigid, in general.

Bretsky
06-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Lotta success in the 13-20 arrest range. I don't know much about the teams in the lowest arrest range, but maybe their GM's are too rigid, in general.

Are they listed ? I'd like to see our 17 arrests. I'd probably learn some new juice

Pugger
06-29-2013, 10:33 AM
I saw this on another forum (packerchatters) and asked about the Packer arrests and this is what someone posted:

Over the last 14 years, the Packers have dealt with 17 different instances of player arrests. Only seven of those have come since 2008, with Johnny Jolly and his addiction to codeine representing nearly half of the arrests over that time span. Brandon Underwood was arrested on two separate occasions from 2010-11.

Packers Arrests Since 2008

1. Erik Walden (11/2011): Suspicion of assault
2. Johnny Jolly (10/2011): Possession of codeine
3. Brandon Underwood (6/2011): Domestic incident
4. Johnny Jolly (3/2011): Possession of codeine
5. Brandon Underwood (6/2010): Sexual assault
6. Spencer Havner (3/2010): DUI
7. Johnny Jolly (7/2008): Possession of codeine

pbmax
06-29-2013, 11:14 AM

Yes, it begs a lot of questions too. Bengals are dead last in scouting dept money spent. One of the scouting guys on Twitter (might have been @movethesticks) said 75% of scouts timeis spent delving into personal background and 25% watching tape and practice. I could easily see that especially if he is talking about time on the road.

Being in the middle might represent a good job balancing the ever tempting upside with risk.

pbmax
06-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks pbmax.

Wonder if nfl arrests compare to normal arrests.
Would like to know the variance.

Mabe Patler can get into the mix.

http://gnb.scout.com/2/1303423.html

Quote from that article:

According to FBI statistics cited by the league, the incidence of NFL players getting arrested is much lower than in the general public. The average annual arrest rate of NFL players is roughly 2 percent of about 3,000 players who go through the league each year, including tryouts and minicamps. That's about half the arrest rate of the general U.S. population, the league says. The NFL notes the disparity becomes even more dramatic when the group is narrowed to American men ages 20-34.

However (same article):

But Jeff Benedict, author of several books on athletes and crimes, including "Pros and Cons, The Criminals Who Play In The NFL," believes the FBI statistics are a bad gauge.

"The danger of doing comparisons with the general public is, if you look at these people and their backgrounds, how many of those guys who have been arrested in the FBI numbers have been to college, make a lot of money like NFL players do, and live in safe, good neighborhoods?" Benedict says. "The issue is why any of these guys are doing this when they have all these good things going on in their lives."

It probably points to the fact that a supportive athletic environment is a net plus for kids, but it is not everything. Also to consider, there is no data presented on the socio-economic backgrounds of the general public versus NFL players. There is a tendency to overestimate the number of players from poor, single mother, urban backgrounds* and we have no hard numbers on it. My estimation, is that as salaries in the NFL have gone up, the attractiveness of the profession has drawn participants from a larger pool, not a smaller one. There are often told tales of parents not letting kids play football because of the violence, but that was happening when I played as well.

**Geraldo, in another fine mark in his career, yesterday lamented, with specific reference to Hernandez, the recruitment of fatherless young men from inner cities and providing inadequate support. Hernandez is from Bristol Connecticut, lived in what has been described a middle-class suburb and whose father died when he was 16. Hernandez has publicly commented about his close relationship to his father.

RashanGary
06-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Are they listed ? I'd like to see our 17 arrests. I'd probably learn some new juice

http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/

George Cumby
06-29-2013, 11:31 AM
I saw this on another forum (packerchatters) and asked about the Packer arrests and this is what someone posted:

Over the last 14 years, the Packers have dealt with 17 different instances of player arrests. Only seven of those have come since 2008, with Johnny Jolly and his addiction to codeine representing nearly half of the arrests over that time span. Brandon Underwood was arrested on two separate occasions from 2010-11.

Packers Arrests Since 2008

1. Erik Walden (11/2011): Suspicion of assault
2. Johnny Jolly (10/2011): Possession of codeine
3. Brandon Underwood (6/2011): Domestic incident
4. Johnny Jolly (3/2011): Possession of codeine
5. Brandon Underwood (6/2010): Sexual assault
6. Spencer Havner (3/2010): DUI
7. Johnny Jolly (7/2008): Possession of codeine

Havners shouldn't count, he was on a moped. :grin:

Fritz
06-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Havners shouldn't count, he was on a moped. :grin:

The Lions with only 17? Underachieving again.

pbmax
06-29-2013, 11:57 AM
The Lions with only 17? Underachieving again.

Very few arrests occur on the field of play. If that counted, they would be where we expect them to be.

sooner6600
06-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the info pbmax.

Pugger
06-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Very few arrests occur on the field of play. If that counted, they would be where we expect them to be.

:lol:

Bretsky
06-29-2013, 08:21 PM
:lol:

Yo Pugger.....a while ago...you went by name of Don Hutson in here.....right ?

Pugger
06-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Yo Pugger.....a while ago...you went by name of Don Hutson in here.....right ?

Huh? No, my avatar is Hutson but I've always used the name Pugger here and on other football forums.

RashanGary
06-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Huh? No, my avatar is Hutson but I've always used the name Pugger here and on other football forums.

I've seen you at ff. I'm boratt. I post here far more than I do there. Leading up to the draft I post there a little bit more than usual.

swede
06-30-2013, 07:02 PM
I've seen you at ff. I'm boratt. I post here far more than I do there. Leading up to the draft I post there a little bit more than usual.

I love Boratt. Do you deliberately cultivate a slightly different persona. or does the different community create different dynamics?

I'm blueswedeshoes.

Mad's site is cool because you can talk about other sites and not get banned.

swede
06-30-2013, 07:03 PM

I love Boratt. Do you deliberately cultivate a slightly different persona. or does the different community create different dynamics?

I'm blueswedeshoes.

Mad's site is cool because you can talk about other sites and not get banned.