PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Burnett - Time to Re-Up?

packer4life
07-11-2013, 02:22 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/11/report-packers-working-on-extension-for-morgan-burnett/#comments

We've heard the packers having "discussions" to extend the likes of Sam Shields & BJ Raji, however these two of course have not gotten deals and TT wants them to play before pay. I wholeheartedly agree with TT on the decision to wait on these two. Raji lacks consistency and drive; Shields is at a position where we have tremendous depth and it is up in the air whether he will be second-half 2012 Shields or 2011 disappointing Shields.

Burnett is interesting. He is already solid, and the general consensus is that he will only improve and approach Nick Collins' status, although he will never be our beloved Nick Collins.

Y'all agree with trying to extend him now. I'm in the 'yes' boat. Get him signed for 4 more years and worry about Raji/Shields/JMike at the end of the season.

pbmax
07-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Sign him, yes. Probably not a top ten safety (I have not compared him lately but he doesn't strike me as having that kind of impact) but a reasonable vet tag for 3-4 years would be fine. Sort of like Nelson and Jones but in the safety pay range.

pittstang5
07-11-2013, 06:45 PM
I'm not a Burnett fan and I wish someone would beat him out of his roster spot. In my eyes, he only has one good thing going for him, he's probably the most experienced safety we have, which means he sticks around, at least for this year. I truly believe his replacement is in next years draft.

Joemailman
07-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Burnett is a solid starter, but I'd rather wait to see if he can elevate his play past that before offering an extension. It wouldn't necessarily take an entire season to make that determination though. There could be an in-season extension if he looks like he's achieved elite status.

Guiness
07-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Reports are it's being worked on

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/11/report-packers-working-on-extension-for-morgan-burnett/

3irty1
07-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Truly think Burnett is a complete player at this point and the only thing holding him back is his center fielder duties. I think if we still had Collins in that role, Burnett would already be a probowl strong safety. He's got great speed, great length, and no longer shy's away from contact when he can tackle someone squarely. No brainer signing IMO.

wist43
07-12-2013, 11:08 AM
I like Burnett... as always, it's tough to evaluate anyone on defense b/c of Capers Keystone Cops coordinating.

Burnett is definitely a keeper, I expect they'll get something worked out eventually.

run pMc
07-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Makes sense, is kind of 'meh' news to me. Maybe it's just because things are slow outside of NE's TE drama.

Burnett's a solid player and worth keeping...I don't see him as a weak link in the secondary or someone you always look to replace (a la Hawk). Also, he's been healthy (knock on wood) and they could do a lot worse at Safety (as shown with the players at the other S spot). Trying to hammer out an extension now makes sense because they can spread the cap hit over an additional year, right?

Which would make you most/least happy: GB is currently actively talking extension with Burnett, Finley or Raji?

Cleft Crusty
07-12-2013, 02:23 PM
I like Burnett... as always, it's tough to evaluate anyone on defense b/c of Capers Keystone Cops coordinating.

Burnett is definitely a keeper, I expect they'll get something worked out eventually.

At least the Keystone Cops were fast.

Tony Oday
07-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Signed to an extension

Tony Oday
07-15-2013, 05:51 PM
$24.75 million for four years.

Guiness
07-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Pretty good sized deal, at first glance over $6M/year. Curious to see the details.

Upnorth
07-15-2013, 06:27 PM
6 per, higher than I excpected, however I am no good at evaluating safety play beyond big hit and picks. He is our best safety so at least we dont have to worry for 4 more years now, but is he top 10?

packer4life
07-15-2013, 07:23 PM
6 per, higher than I excpected, however I am no good at evaluating safety play beyond big hit and picks. He is our best safety so at least we dont have to worry for 4 more years now, but is he top 10?

I think after this season we will see his value.

denverYooper
07-15-2013, 09:09 PM
If the pass rush clicks, a lot of guys in the secondary will look like pro bowlers.

digitaldean
07-15-2013, 11:05 PM
If he can stay healthy he is productive, though not spectacular. Unless Raji can have an All-Pro type of year, I think his days are numbered here. Especially if Jones and some of the other young talent can materialize.

HarveyWallbangers
07-16-2013, 12:34 AM
I expect more than productive out of Burnett. I expect "the Leap." He has it in him.

Burnett has yet to make the Pro Bowl, although given the Packers’ history at the position, this could be the year. The team’s three previous high-profile safeties – LeRoy Butler in 1993, Darren Sharper in 2000 and Collins in 2008 – all earned their first Pro Bowl nods in their fourth seasons.

Fritz
07-16-2013, 07:40 AM
I agree with Harvey. As fans we sometimes lack patience. I think this is the "it" year for Burnett. He's going to make that jump, especially if he gets someone playing alongside who is consistent.

pbmax
07-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Wow. I did not see 6 per year coming. But then, I don't know the top end of the safety market like we heard about the top end of the WR market with Jennings around.

Or perhaps the injury and having to play with youth back there, plus some ugly D have hidden his performance level from me. I am going to have to stop watching the pass rush.

3irty1
07-16-2013, 07:56 AM
It seems like this is an extension of his old contract so his average salary is around 5.2 for 5 years. Nice commitment by the Packers. Hopefully that ends up being a steal for us.

ThunderDan
07-16-2013, 08:32 AM
It seems like this is an extension of his old contract so his average salary is around 5.2 for 5 years. Nice commitment by the Packers. Hopefully that ends up being a steal for us.

I was thinking the same thing. This seems to be a "new" way for Ted to do business. Instead of making the player play out his final year for his contract; he's giving him the money before he makes the jump.

I am guessing that the contract is favorable for the Packers to cut Burnett in two years if his play doesn't merit the $5M per year.

RashanGary
07-16-2013, 11:53 AM
That's a big salary. I haven't been a big Burnett fan, but I know the coaches love him. I've heard Darren Perry hype him up, and I've heard players hype him up. Hopefully this is the year it all comes together. I know he's shredded out this offseason. He's tall. Tall players tend to be plodders if they are too heavy. They need to be able to break down and change direction if they're going to tackle in open space. Hopefully this is the year he takes off. INT's and those big game saving tackles Collins would make all alone would be a nice addition to this defense.

3irty1
07-16-2013, 12:04 PM
That's a big salary. I haven't been a big Burnett fan, but I know the coaches love him. I've heard Darren Perry hype him up, and I've heard players hype him up. Hopefully this is the year it all comes together. I know he's shredded out this offseason. He's tall. Tall players tend to be plodders if they are too heavy. They need to be able to break down and change direction if they're going to tackle in open space. Hopefully this is the year he takes off. INT's and those big game saving tackles Collins would make all alone would be a nice addition to this defense.

Wouldn't worry about Burnett becoming a plodder of all things. Dudes hips are made of velvet and peanut butter. 3.92 SS and 6.87 3-cone for his size is elite for the elite. You're right though that 5.2M isn't worth what he's given us so far. The management is banking on him putting it all together and taking his game to the next level to get their money's worth.

Smeefers
07-16-2013, 03:34 PM
The salary isn't that big. It's over inflated with incentives. It's a 2 mil base salary with the chance at rising to 6. Pay for play. I think it's a great deal.

-I heard the salary numbers on the radio, so don't ask for a stinkin link.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Hopefully this contract is a steal. They gave Collins a similar contract and he was well on his way to over playing it. Hopefully that happens with Burnett.

Bretsky
07-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Hopefully this contract is a steal. They gave Collins a similar contract and he was well on his way to over playing it. Hopefully that happens with Burnett.

I have a good poll idea; I just forgot how to make polls. Who will be the Packers 3rd best defensive player in two years ? Then list options

I think the answer is Morgan Burnett. Him and Collins would have been NASTY NASTY elite in the secondary together. Too bad Eric Reed didn't fall to us.

run pMc
07-17-2013, 10:20 AM
$8.25M guaranteed money.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/breakdown-packers-safety-morgan-burnett-four-contract-extension-213720693.html

"Overall, Burnett is scheduled to earn $26.073 million over the next five seasons...Burnett's cap numbers the next five seasons are $3.192 million in 2013 (up from $1.542 million before the extension), $4.9 million in 2014, $5.15 million in 2015, $6.05 million in 2016 and $7 million in 2017."

The numbers don't look bad for a reliable, healthy starting safety that still has some upside. I'd expect by 2015 they'll know if the potential is real or not and (if not) can redo the contract.
Either way, Burnett is the best of the post-Collins safety group, and it's good to lock him up.

Guiness
07-17-2013, 11:21 AM
I have a good poll idea; I just forgot how to make polls.

Easy. Just draw a nine-pointed star on the ground, burn a chicken on an altar, wait for Mad to appear in a puff of smoke then recite the poll options out loud!

Upnorth
07-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Easy. Just draw a nine-pointed star on the ground, burn a chicken on an altar, wait for Mad to appear in a puff of smoke then recite the poll options out loud!

:clap::glug:

Fritz
07-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Burnett - this is the year. Stay healthy. Play hard.

pbmax
07-17-2013, 03:24 PM
I have a good poll idea; I just forgot how to make polls. Who will be the Packers 3rd best defensive player in two years ? Then list options

I think the answer is Morgan Burnett. Him and Collins would have been NASTY NASTY elite in the secondary together. Too bad Eric Reed didn't fall to us.

This new software (3 years old) is still really confusing you?

+Post New Thread -> Enter Title and Text of Original Post -> Scroll down to Additional Options -> Check Create a Poll and type in # of poll choices you want -> Hit Submit New Thread -> next window will ask for poll question and the options to include -> Hit Publish and then poll and thread will be ready