PDA

View Full Version : Eric Winston?

Upnorth
07-15-2013, 07:00 PM
If SHerrod is not up to snuff yet and Newhouse is a better fit at LT than RT, why would we not look at Winston? He could be had cheap right now and would likely be better than Barclay, Sherrod and Newhouse.
THoughts?

Joemailman
07-15-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't see the Packers doing something like that unless they become convinced Sherrod is toast. And even then, they kind of liked what Barclay did as a rookie last year. Winston is looking for 3-4 million right now. He may drop his asking price eventually, but not yet.

Guiness
07-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Seems like he would be a good insurance policy, and at 29 he's not old. Is he better than Barclay though? He's had a couple of visits but no one seems to have made him an offer, I saw an article a while back that said he was looking for a well paying contract.

An FA that I don't understand still being on the market is Vonta Leach. Sucks to be an FB who doesn't catch much in the NFL right now, he's done a great job blocking and is probably the best at it in the league, but he's not getting a lot of love.

pbmax
07-16-2013, 08:36 AM
Seems like he would be a good insurance policy, and at 29 he's not old. Is he better than Barclay though? He's had a couple of visits but no one seems to have made him an offer, I saw an article a while back that said he was looking for a well paying contract.

An FA that I don't understand still being on the market is Vonta Leach. Sucks to be an FB who doesn't catch much in the NFL right now, he's done a great job blocking and is probably the best at it in the league, but he's not getting a lot of love.

Leach supposedly has a couple of teams interested (Mia, Balt) but no one willing to come up with his number apparently. He seems to be waiting it out.

KYPack
07-16-2013, 09:46 AM
I don't see the Packers doing something like that unless they become convinced Sherrod is toast. And even then, they kind of liked what Barclay did as a rookie last year. Winston is looking for 3-4 million right now. He may drop his asking price eventually, but not yet.

Vet FA's like Winston are against TT's religion. We've got so many salary moves in the offing, there's no way we sign him. He's got himself in a weird spot. Just 30, he should be heading into his prime, but there are some negatives hurting his signing. He's a fair hand, but a better run blocker than a pass pro guy. RT's aren't the prime OLine position either. Last year, Matt Cassell went down with an injury. The KC fans cheered for Cassell's removal. Winston went off after the game, ripping the KC fans for this display. After the season, KC wasted no time in releasing him.

He'll be picked up by somebody who needs a vet OT, but at a pretty good price for that club.

Guiness
07-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Vet FA's like Winston are against TT's religion. We've got so many salary moves in the offing, there's no way we sign him. He's got himself in a weird spot. Just 30, he should be heading into his prime, but there are some negatives hurting his signing. He's a fair hand, but a better run blocker than a pass pro guy. RT's aren't the prime OLine position either. Last year, Matt Cassell went down with an injury. The KC fans cheered for Cassell's removal. Winston went off after the game, ripping the KC fans for this display. After the season, KC wasted no time in releasing him.

He'll be picked up by somebody who needs a vet OT, but at a pretty good price for that club.

I wonder how low that price will go, and if it will be before the season starts or not? He wouldn't be the first vet to expect a couple of million only to find there's just one offer, for the vet minimum, backing up the starter, on the table.

From the Miami Herald a couple of weeks ago
Free-agent OT Eric Winston (Chiefs) is looking for a multi-year deal that would guarantee that he would not be a one-year rental. Winston said he is looking for $3 million to $4 million per season in his next contract.
BR (ya, I know...) had him rated the top RT in the league last year, just ahead of Bulaga. Teams like to get younger, and historically 30 is not old for an OT, Tauscher played until he was 34 and probably would've gone longer if not for the knee injury.