PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Odds and Ends

Maxie the Taxi
07-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Darkhorse guys I'm pulling for to make the final roster...

ANDY MULUMBA...ILB, 6'3", 260 lbs. Nonstop motor, cool name, mean streak, possible spy candidate for AP, hoping he can play special teams

http://youtu.be/u3El89qfH_M

ALEX GILLETT...WR, 6'1", 214 lbs. Can pass better than Graham Harrell, can catch better than James Jones, possible Wildcat phenom, same size (almost) as Paul Hornung

http://youtu.be/rxqBNmxVyPI

Of course, I'm the guy that thought Jordan Shipley would be the next Wes Welker.

Joemailman
07-22-2013, 08:40 AM
The big training camp position battles:

RB: probably Lacy's to lose, but Franklin, Harris and Green will get chances. Starks is probably gone.

Safety: Jennings vs. McMillian. I'm rooting for McMillian

RT: Not sure how they're going to divide up reps here. Sherrod, Newhouse, Barclay and Bakhtiari will battle it out.

Maxie the Taxi
07-22-2013, 08:55 AM
I just read somewhere that Alex Green is out of mix, that TT will try to trade him. Green has always seemed a bust to me. Same article claims Starks will be released outright. This makes sense to me too.

Joemailman
07-22-2013, 09:06 AM
I just read somewhere that Alex Green is out of mix, that TT will try to trade him. Green has always seemed a bust to me. Same article claims Starks will be released outright. This makes sense to me too.

Green has a chance to stick if they keep 4 RB's. I think there's a good chance of that happening, because Franklin may be returning kicks.

Joemailman
07-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Secondary Camp Battles:

QB: Harrell or Coleman? Coleman has the physical talent, but he was not close to being ready last year.

TE: Will anyone step up and position themselves as a potential future starter in the event Finley is not resigned? Quarless, Williams and Bostick will all have a shot. Does a blocker like Mulligan have a shot to make the team?

LT: Can Datko claim the backup spot. If not, then who?

ILB: Is this the year someone pushes A.J. Hawk? A lot of eyes will be on Manning this year.

CB: If Tramon is healthy, a really good player (Tramon, House, Hayward, Shields) is going to struggle to get playing time.

DL: Can Johhny Jolly get his job back?

K: Is there a real competition here, or is Tavecchio a camp body there just to push Crosby?

pbmax
07-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Do you have a link to the Green out of the mix? Because he took the majority of #1 snaps all offseason. Dunne just yesterday considered him to possibly be the coaches favorite heading into camp.

Dunne here: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/216347021.html

McGinn (perhaps Maxie's source here): http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-rookie-rbs-expected-to-carry-the-load-b9957668z1-216313541.html

McGinn has already shoved Green and Starks behind the other four (Harris, Lacy, Franklin, Peace) and he has an AFC Scout telling him Green can be traded at the end of camp. I am not yet convinced trade bait gets the #1 snaps in the offseason. Now, offseason work hasn't always translated to starting material (Barbre, MacDonald) but the coaches seem to see something in him they like.

All else equal trade value might be the deciding factor, but rarely does everything else stand still. If Lacy outright wins the job, then perhaps Green is the odd man out.

Maxie the Taxi
07-22-2013, 09:57 AM
I think the news item was at Rotoworld which referenced JSOnline. So McGinn is likely the source.

I don't understand Pease being in the mix. I watched video of him and he runs like his feet are stuck in molasses. Starks seems quicker than him. Since his injury, it just doesn't seem Green has much more than straight ahead ability (not that he had much of anything else before).

Maxie the Taxi
07-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Plus...the difference might be in pass catching ability and pass blocking.

Joemailman
07-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Plus...the difference might be in pass catching ability and pass blocking.

I think Green is pretty good at catching the ball. The question is whether he can run effectively between the tackles. He couldn't last year, but we'll see if his injury was a major factor in that.

Maxie the Taxi
07-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Regarding Tavecchio...remember in 1997 when a little known kicker from California was brought into camp to provide competition for a struggling high draft choice kicker named Brett Conway? That little known kicker was Ryan Longwell! You never know with kickers. Ironically, Tavecchio is from California as well.

Bretsky
07-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Monte Ball is going to be really good :)

Brandon494
07-22-2013, 06:28 PM
I think we keep Lacy, Franklin, Green, and Harris. Seriously what value does Green really have after the season he just had? Hes cheap and he could have the potential to be a key player for us being fully healthy coming off the ACL injury. I don't even know why they haven't cut James Starks yet, hes gone for sure. If they do only keep 3 RBs I sure hope they use that extra roster spot with a blocking FB.

Joemailman
07-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Monte Ball is going to be really good :)

Yeah, like all those other Badger RB's. :taunt:

The Shadow
07-22-2013, 07:18 PM
I am rooting for Datko & Jolly.

pittstang5
07-22-2013, 09:29 PM
4th and 5th WR spots should be interesting to watch.

Starting safety opposite Burnett should be good too. McMillan should unseat M.D. Jennings just from a pure athletic standpoint. McMillan was only a rookie last year. With a year under his belt, I'm thinking he takes it.

Pulling for Datko to either start at RT or be the top backup tackle for both sides. If he's healed 100%, he's a steal.

RashanGary
07-22-2013, 11:13 PM

Those are two guys I'm pulling for too. Datko just because he's such a beast (size/athleticism/college experience.) Pysical talent only goes so far, but it's very intriguing talent and there's no reason to think he's lacking the mental part of his game yet either. There's a real chance with him. And Jolly because of how much he's been through and how well put together he sounded when they talked to him at OTA's/minicamp. Plus, if Jolly can be the guy he was, he'd be a nice piece for us

Tony Oday
07-23-2013, 12:54 AM
I hope AR beats out Coleman.

Patler
07-23-2013, 01:25 AM
Those are two guys I'm pulling for too. Datko just because he's such a beast (size/athleticism/college experience.) Pysical talent only goes so far, but it's very intriguing talent and there's no reason to think he's lacking the mental part of his game yet either. There's a real chance with him. And Jolly because of how much he's been through and how well put together he sounded when they talked to him at OTA's/minicamp. Plus, if Jolly can be the guy he was, he'd be a nice piece for us

Couldn't agree more.

Patler
07-23-2013, 01:35 AM
Datko just because he's such a beast (size/athleticism/college experience.) Pysical talent only goes so far, but it's very intriguing talent and there's no reason to think he's lacking the mental part of his game yet either.

To relieve any concerns you might have about Datko! From a pre-draft evaluation:

Understands angles and positioning. Flexible hips to scoop, latch on and seal. Shows outstanding scheme recognition and is intelligent and aware to pick up stunts and blitzes. Is tough and plays through pain. Started as an undersized freshman. Terrific character — motivated, hardworking and coachable.

Upnorth
07-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Datko was a seventh rounder if memory serve and this is his second year. Last year he was practicing at LT and never saw the field. When he got a chance to play they instead slide Lang out to RT. Why should we think he will do well this year at RT? I don't remember encouraging FA much in the past but I sure hope TT looks at one for RT (assuming Buluga can play LT)

Zool
07-23-2013, 09:43 AM
I hope AR beats out Coleman.

Allen Rossum?

Patler
07-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Datko was a seventh rounder if memory serve and this is his second year. Last year he was practicing at LT and never saw the field. When he got a chance to play they instead slide Lang out to RT. Why should we think he will do well this year at RT? I don't remember encouraging FA much in the past but I sure hope TT looks at one for RT (assuming Buluga can play LT)

Datko fell to the 7th round because of a recurring shoulder injury that wiped out his senior year. Following his junior year, he was projected as a solid 2nd rounder who could even be considered for the first round with a good senior season. He was on the watch lists for the Outland Trophy and the Lombardi Award.

He was not on the roster last year, but was on the practice squad after missing almost a full year of football due to surgery on his shoulder, one in the fall and a follow-up in January, I think. PS was the best place for him. Teams were scared off from him not because of talent, but because of the shoulder that had been a problem since high school. He now says doctors have told him the repair years ago was not adequate, which caused him continuing problems. He claims he is now pain free for the first time since high school.

mraynrand
07-23-2013, 09:53 AM

shoulder issues. May never be physically able to play. risky.

mraynrand
07-23-2013, 09:55 AM

Jolly is bigger in the belly and smaller in the arms, from what I saw in OTAs. If you're Santa Claus that's good, if you're a DT That's bad - unless (and it's a big unless) he's headed in the right direction. Fingers crossed, but highly skeptical.

packer4life
07-23-2013, 10:03 AM
We need a DLiner who can bat passes down the way Jolly used to. Since Jolly is a longshot, I guess we hope Jones can do it.

Patler
07-23-2013, 10:32 AM
shoulder issues. May never be physically able to play. risky.

Yup, that's the concern. But worth a 7th round pick to find out.

Maxie the Taxi
07-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Anyone know anything about Josh Boyd. Scouts agree he is a high motor guy...and he's injury free.

MadScientist
07-23-2013, 01:20 PM
...and he's injury free.
Words I want to be spoken about every Packer in camp, or at least the ones who should make the 53-man roster.
(Don't read that as being callous about the roster filler guys, the only shot some of them have at getting an NFL pay check is to land on IR, and that check might buy them time to get started on a career. See Shaky Smithson.)

HarveyWallbangers
07-24-2013, 12:23 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000219107/article/top-25-nfc-position-battles-during-training-camp

3. Green Bay Packers running back: Eddie Lacy vs. Johnathan Franklin vs. DuJuan Harris vs. ...

This is a fascinating group and we didn't even list Super Bowl XLV hero James Starks or third-year pro Alex Green, who lined up with the starters in OTAs. Lacy, the team's second-round draft pick, is the best bet to lead the team in touches. But Franklin and Harris might be more dynamic.

2. Green Bay Packers cornerback potpourri

The Packers' cornerback group is very talented and very deep. And the coaching staff says that both starting jobs are up for grabs with Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, Sam Shields and Davon House in the mix. I'm starting to feel my fourth consecutive Super Bowl prediction for the Packers.

Maxie the Taxi
07-24-2013, 07:33 AM
The Packers' cornerback group is very talented and very deep. And the coaching staff says that both starting jobs are up for grabs with Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, Sam Shields and Davon House in the mix. I'm starting to feel my fourth consecutive Super Bowl prediction for the Packers.

Me too!

MadScientist
07-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Matt Brown was released before camp because he tore an ACL last week working out. Had he done it after camp started, they would have had to IR him an pay him for a year, now he gets nothing, save for possibly the medical expenses. What a difference a week makes.