PDA

View Full Version : Nick Perry

HarveyWallbangers
07-23-2013, 08:20 PM
As some of you know, I'm driving the Nick Perry bandwagon. I hope I'm right. I also feel he might be the biggest key to the season. It's good to read Kevin Greene gush about him.

“(Perry) looks really good. Really good. Explosive as ever. When he strikes that pad in individual periods, he strikes it,” Greene said. “He has it physically to do what it takes to play at a high level at this position. He’s hungry. Great work ethic. He is tuned in.”

On the other hand, he was more tempered with his comments on Mike Neal:

As for the Neal experiment, Greene said, “Obviously, he’s learning a lot of new things at outside linebacker in our Okie. Just increasing his vision, whereas before he never really had to understand where all five eligibles are and what that means to him. So, his biggest thing is expanding his vision and understanding what everybody means to his job. It’s repetitions – and that’s true with anybody transitioning to this position. You just need more reps, you need more time in cleats on the grass and seeing things and making mistakes and learning from them.”

red
07-23-2013, 09:11 PM
i'm on the perry bandwagon also

Joemailman
07-23-2013, 09:13 PM
What he said about Neal probably could have been said (and maybe was) about Perry last year. Every guy transitioning from a down lineman to standing up has to go through that transition. Perry's achilles heel last year was coverage. His recognition should be better this year, and there are reports he's slimmed down a bit. There should be some improvement there.

HarveyWallbangers
07-23-2013, 09:18 PM
What he said about Neal probably could have been said (and maybe was) about Perry last year. Every guy transitioning from a down lineman to standing up has to go through that transition.

No doubt, but I thought the disparity in the remarks shows that Greene isn't just some rah-rah coach talking up his players. I think he's genuinely excited about Perry.

George Cumby
07-23-2013, 11:52 PM
No doubt, but I thought the disparity in the remarks shows that Greene isn't just some rah-rah coach talking up his players. I think he's genuinely excited about Perry.

I hope so. I saw enough to be excited about his physical talents. The comment about his work ethic is what gets me really going. However I do remember an article saying the exact opposite of his work ethic.

Time will tell.

RashanGary
07-24-2013, 06:47 AM
I've been a big Perry hater. I hope I'm wrong.

pittstang5
07-24-2013, 07:10 AM
I wasn't high on Perry just because he had stated that he'd prefer to play in a 4-3, rather than a 3-4 defense. Last year was a wash because of the injury and rookieness (if that's a word). If he stays healthy and still sucks this year, trade his ass to a 4-3 team in the off-season. That's assuming the Packers are still playing a 3-4 by next year, which even if Capers is let go/retires, I think the Packers will still do. I'm pretty sure McCarthy has stated he prefers a 3-4 defense.

Maxie the Taxi
07-24-2013, 07:27 AM
How much more "cleats on the grass" time does Perry have vs Neal? They're both unknown quantities as far as I'm concerned. I hope Perry starts cause he's got the potential. Actually, debth is a good problem to have.

mraynrand
07-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Perry's achilles heel last year was coverage.
I thought his achilles heel was his achilles heel - or was it his knee? Anyway, interesting thread and compelling thread title.

pbmax
07-24-2013, 09:56 AM
I thought his achilles heel was his achilles heel - or was it his knee? Anyway, interesting thread and compelling thread title.

He had Achilles Mother's Right Wrist last year. If only she had dunked him in completely.

hoosier
07-24-2013, 10:23 AM
And knee too. Apparently baby Nick was so big that Mom had to grab him with both hands.

mraynrand
07-24-2013, 10:57 AM
He had Achilles Mother's Right Wrist last year. If only she had dunked him in completely.

he cranked his knee in the Houston game. That did not look good. Forgot about the wrist. The fog of war...

Zool
07-24-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm riding shotgun on the Perry bus, so I assume he's fucked.

After the "roughing the passer" hit on Luck last year it became apparent what he could be. What he will be is yet to be seen, but I am hopeful.

Zool
07-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Preseason against the Chargers. He's got some real power, but in this game he went wide too often and got himself out of plays. Bonus, a good looking play by House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MrY_eTyoLg

bobblehead
07-24-2013, 12:13 PM
I've been a big Perry hater. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm with JH. I am never wrong when I argue with rbaloha, and rarely wrong when I agree with JH....hope this is one of those rarely moments.

Fritz
07-24-2013, 04:13 PM
In that clip, Perry definitely shows power. He's pushing guys back and back and back. Of course, he's out of position often and overruns stuff, but he can walk a guy back.

Zool
07-24-2013, 04:20 PM
In that clip, Perry definitely shows power. He's pushing guys back and back and back. Of course, he's out of position often and overruns stuff, but he can walk a guy back.

That's what gives me hope. He can learn to play the position, but it's hard to learn strength and speed.

Bretsky
07-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Never been a fan and have questioned whether he's a fit in the 3-4....hope I'm wrong

George Cumby
07-24-2013, 10:48 PM
That's what gives me hope. He can learn to play the position, but it's hard to learn strength and speed.

Right. Technique is coachable, strength and speed are innate. I think he's that thumper who holds edge on running plays and can collapse the pocket rushing the passer.

Joemailman
07-24-2013, 11:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbHflENMWEw

Fritz
07-25-2013, 09:06 AM
I really hope Perry stays healthy. I think he can be a key to this defense, this year.

MadScientist
07-25-2013, 12:21 PM
His attitude has improved greatly from last year, when it sounded like he was pouting at being an OLB instead of a 4-3 end. I still have doubts about his ability to actually be a LB and not just a situational pass rusher. I'll call him Peri until I'm sure the pouting is over and I see that he can actually play the position.

run pMc
07-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Preseason against the Chargers. He's got some real power, but in this game he went wide too often and got himself out of plays. Bonus, a good looking play by House

Also shows the injury to Bishop (yuck), and Rivers/Gates picking on D.J.Smith the very next play for a TD.

Definitely shows power, not much else to his game in that clip...then again it was his first game and most rookie don't have multiple well-developed pass rush moves. Looks like he took himself out of some plays going wide, and on one or two SD attacked the gap he was leaving. You can tell he's thinking too much and not playing instinctively down the line. He almost looks too thick...wonder if shedding little weight will help him with speed/agility?

run pMc
07-25-2013, 12:37 PM
I really hope Perry stays healthy. I think he can be a key to this defense, this year.

+1

I'm not on the bandwagon yet.
I hope he's healthy and can produce. I think he'll be no worse than Walden, but between only playing 6 games and transitioning from DE it's hard to predict how he'll do this year.
GB needs its recent R1 picks (Datone, Perry, Sherrod) to pay dividends.

Freak Out
07-25-2013, 02:46 PM
After watching that play on Luck again I fucking hate the NFL even more. Fuck it.

packer4life
07-25-2013, 06:46 PM
After watching that play on Luck again I fucking hate the NFL even more. Fuck it.

What a PERFECT hit.

pbmax
07-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Its also possible we denizens of the message board are making too much out of two quotes prior to the draft about where he would be most comfortable. As trouble goes, this seems like a social faux pas before the party even started.

MadScientist
07-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Its also possible we denizens of the message board are making too much out of two quotes prior to the draft about where he would be most comfortable. As trouble goes, this seems like a social faux pas before the party even started.

It wasn't so much the quote on its own, it was that he put on weight to be a DE and when he got drafted as an OLB said that he was going to keep the extra weight on. This year he is dropping the weight, which is a good sign, but I'm still not sure about his ability to play the position. If I'm wrong, I'll be more than happy to have a serving of crow.

BobDobbs
07-26-2013, 05:53 PM
I didn't like his college highlight tape.
I didn't like his camp interviews.
I didn't like his play on the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9i0L2uom4k

Hopefully KG pisses in Perry's Wheaties and gets him to play angry this year. I feel like if he can wake up a bit he won't be a wasted pick. I hope I'm wrong cause we need him.

Smeefers
07-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Perry and Kevin Garnett are friends? Well, obviously not if they're peeing in each others breakfast cereals. What are they doing eating breakfast together anyway? Is Perry shacking up with Kevin? Too many questions, not enough urination puns.

So, I'm not sold on the young man. I'd like to be, I really would. He has an awefully large amount of power to use, I just hope he uses it well. I hate when guys completely switch positions. The NFL is not the place to learn a new role.

HarveyWallbangers
07-26-2013, 07:29 PM
I didn't like his college highlight tape.
I didn't like his camp interviews.
I didn't like his play on the field.

I thought his highlight tape was solid. I didn't like his camp interviews last year. (It sounded like he didn't want to switch positions.) I like them this year. (He seems all-in on the move now; perhaps Clay's big contract changed his mind.) I thought his play on the field showed promise for somebody new to the position. I like that he's dropped some weight this year. I'm hoping a Lamar Woodley type.

BobDobbs
07-26-2013, 11:32 PM
I'd give my left dick for a Lamar Woodley type outta Perry. That would be awesome.

He and his coach are definitely sounding more clicked in this year. Greene was just polite last year. We should be able to get a good feel in the preseason.

mission
07-26-2013, 11:32 PM
I like him for the record. He has a lot of potential.

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2013, 01:11 AM
I was in South Carolina all week, so I didn't see the game. Anybody have an opinion on how Perry looked?

RashanGary
08-13-2013, 01:13 AM
I was in South Carolina all week, so I didn't see the game. Anybody have an opinion on how Perry looked?

I didn't watch either. I heard he was really stout against the run. Difference maker stout, and didn't do any of the things he did last year that made us afraid.

Bretsky
08-13-2013, 07:48 AM

Played Decent IMO; pretty good vs the run and had one pressure I noticed

pbmax
08-13-2013, 09:06 AM

Not much on pass rush, but wasn't getting moved on runs.

Whole game was odd for pass rush, a lot of collapsing pocket but no one breaking through early to create havoc. Jolly and one Francois/Lattimore did break contain immediately but failed to take another collegiate State of Michigan QB named Drew down.

denverYooper
08-13-2013, 09:11 AM
McGinn said he had 4 "notable plays" out of 12 snaps.
Baranczyk said he "caved the line" on some running plays.
No negatives noted from either.

So a step up from Walden, at least.

Fritz
08-13-2013, 09:17 AM
My mother is a step up from Walden.

But McGinn did seem to think Perry played well. Funny how, as humans and especially modern sports fans, we focus so much on the negative (which makes Wist all the more remarkable for standing out in his negativity).

We were all pretty concerned as to whether Perry was a blown first round pick. There was lots of Packerrats talk about this - until he came to camp and played solidly. Instead of celebrating this and thinking about how much better the defense might be this year, we simply move on to the next negative topic, the next concern. Sherrod will never play! Crosby sucks! The run game sucks!

Human nature, I suppose. I do it, too.