PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Backfield by McGinn

pbmax
07-24-2013, 10:17 AM
We spent a lot of time arguing with Bob's online alter-ego this offseason and I think for good reason.

But apart from mooning over the Halcyon days of Charlie Peprah and his toughness (give credit to Bob here for acknowledging his weaknesses in coverage), he has some good info on the D backfield. Specifically some choice quotes from the coaches.

One of them gets specifically to turnovers and Whitt admits the Packers called a lot of press coverage even with Tramon in the game and thinks that hurt his TO generation. Whitt says specifically that Williams gets to more throws from off coverage, same for Casey Hayward. Shields is better on the ball from press. No mention of House's preference.

Whitt's plan is to let them choose the technique more this year. Why this wasn't the case last year is not covered.

Perry is not calling the winner of McMillan versus Jennings and the closest he came to separating them was to say McMillan's height might (5' 11") give him an advantage in leverage.

Bob hand waves away conventional wisdom that McMillan is a more physical presence by noting that both missed 6 tackles and that Jennings isn't hesitant to hit. Well, Jennings might not be afraid to hit and he might even like it, but his hits aren't the same as McMillan's. Perry does say McMillan does need to increase his focus, which is coach speak for saying nothing and scaring the hell out of readers.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/time-for-packers-defensive-backs-to-turn-a-corner-b9959995z1-216701761.html

RashanGary
07-24-2013, 11:10 AM
I read that too, pb. It's mismatched pieces. Man coverage with 2-4 nickle is just scary, cuz there is so much room to run on the outside. Perry and the DL depth may make us more stout up front. Still, you'd much rather have your CB's keeping their eye's to the ball so they can set better in the run game and lend a little hand to the under-manned front 6.

Collins patrolling the deep middle allowed us to keep 8-man boxes in 2010. Reed in Baltimore, Thomas in Seattle did the same things for their teams. But we don't have that anymore. Now it makes more sense to play off coverage behind our preferred front.

We'll see what happens. There are 1,000 ways to skin a cat. Burnett could take a big jump this year. We just never know how it's all going to come together. Or Burnett taking a small jump along with Shields taking a small jump could allow us to do a couple more things moderately well and just have a better mix.

There are too many possible outcomes for me to hang my hat on just one. I will hang my hat on them getting better. They're talented young players. While they don't seem to be ideal fits next to each other, they are highly likely to be better this year. How much better, how exactly they play together is yet to be seen.

pbmax
07-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Collins patrolling the deep middle allowed us to keep 8-man boxes in 2010. Reed in Baltimore, Thomas in Seattle did the same things for their teams. But we don't have that anymore. Now it makes more sense to play off coverage behind our preferred front.

Yeah, but how much two deep safety did they run last year? I don't remember it nearly as much as 2011 when the boat was sinking. They could have put 8 in box a lot last year. And when they were single safety, it was often Jennings deep, esp. at end of season. I wish Bob had covered that (Jennings over McMillan late in season) with the coaches (or maybe they declined to answer). I think there is more here than just Collins absence.

Letting CBs decide technique seems like a bad way to design a defense. But, Woodson played a lot of press in 2010 didn't he? He didn't play off much. TWill somehow muddled through that, but again I wonder if that was CB choice?

So many questions.

run pMc
07-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Well, Jennings might not be afraid to hit and he might even like it, but his hits aren't the same as McMillan's.
+1

I remember Doc Jennings trying to tackle Adrian Peterson and it was ugly (and wildly unsuccessful). I like Jennings as a smart, reliable backup-type player, but not as a starter. He looks too thin for S...I think you gotta be at least 205lb. or you're gonna struggle against backs and receivers.

Maxie the Taxi
07-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Perry is not calling the winner of McMillan versus Jennings and the closest he came to separating them was to say McMillan's height might (5' 11") give him an advantage in leverage.

Is Perry joking? Jennings is listed at 6'0". So one inch gives McMillan an advantage in leverage? Might want to consult Archimedes on that one. At this point Perry should forget all the metrics and concentrate on who is the best and smartest football player between the sidelines. One inch, 8 lbs., two hundreths of a second in the 40? Come on...

packer4life
07-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Anyone have any idea if McMillian has any ball skills. Saw a couple passes go right through Jennings' hands last year (one for a TD) and was not too impressed.

pbmax
07-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Is Perry joking? Jennings is listed at 6'0". So one inch gives McMillan an advantage in leverage? Might want to consult Archimedes on that one. At this point Perry should forget all the metrics and concentrate on who is the best and smartest football player between the sidelines. One inch, 8 lbs., two hundreths of a second in the 40? Come on...

I am not certain what he meant to convey, leverage I usually associate with a power move or relative position, but I think he is saying a 5' 11" safety that is heavier, more compact and faster might be able to move is space and be more effective overall than a taller, thinner, slower guy. The difference between the two players is small enough that I am not sure this makes much difference (though weight might), but McMillan does play with more power. I do not see him as effective deep in coverage despite the speed advantage, but for me and my limited understanding of what they are trying to do, McMillan seems more of a fit.

McMillan in the box and Burnett deep makes more sense to me than Jennings deep and Burnett up close to the LOS.

Fritz
07-24-2013, 04:08 PM
But are McMillin's coverage issues due to a lack of experience or physical shortcomings?

mraynrand
07-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Whitt says specifically that Williams gets to more throws from off coverage, same for Casey Hayward. Shields is better on the ball from press

yup. So hope they can play to strengths in Capers' madness.

mraynrand
07-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Just an aside about Whitt: He knows his position cold. No doubt he will want to move up, but sometimes you really hate to see a really good position coach advance, because they were just that good at what they were doing. Ray Rhodes was another d-back coach who was tremendous and went Peter Principle.

Joemailman
07-24-2013, 05:47 PM
+1

I remember Doc Jennings trying to tackle Adrian Peterson and it was ugly (and wildly unsuccessful). I like Jennings as a smart, reliable backup-type player, but not as a starter. He looks too thin for S...I think you gotta be at least 205lb. or you're gonna struggle against backs and receivers.

There have been reports that Jennings has bulked up a bit to the 200-205 range.