PDA

View Full Version : What should Rodgers do?

Patler
07-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Rodgers and Braun are good friends and business associates. Rodgers said he would bet his salary on Braun's innocence during the initial controversy. He has made many statements not just to support Braun, but to convince/assure others of his innocence.

Then there is the business relationship, "8-Twelve MVP Grill". They alluded to others, but I am not aware of any specifics

The fact that Rodgers is a high profile professional athlete further complicates their continued relationship.

Rodgers will have to draw on all of his interview skills and diplomacy when the inevitable questions are raised. "Did you know?" "Are you surprised?" "What has he told you about it?" "What has he told you since the suspension?" "Will you continue in business endeavors with him?" "How do you explain your 'bet' on his innocence?" "Did he out and out lie to you about it?"

Should Rodgers now distance himself from Braun?
Does he risk greater scrutiny by association?

I know the restaurant is owned and ran by others, with Braun and Rodgers involved mostly for promotional impact from the name, but what does it do now in view of the tainted MVP for Braun?

RashanGary
07-24-2013, 10:53 AM
If I were AR, I'd stand by Braun until he can't anymore. There's nothing wrong with loyalty, even if it's blind and dumb.

mraynrand
07-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Rodgers will have to draw on all of his interview skills and diplomacy when the inevitable questions are raised. "Did you know?" "Are you surprised?" "What has he told you about it?" "What has he told you since the suspension?" "Will you continue in business endeavors with him?" "How do you explain your 'bet' on his innocence?" "Did he out and out lie to you about it?"

No comment

Should Rodgers now distance himself from Braun?

Did Hornung's friends distance themselves from him? It's not like Braun murdered someone. Yet.

Does he risk greater scrutiny by association?

fair or not, yes. Oh, the travails of celebrity! There's probably a State Farm commercial they could do together at some point.

If voters can take another long, hard look at Anthony Weiner, sports fans will overlook this. Just wait five minutes.

Patler
07-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Loyalty is a fair argument, but it needs to be a two way street. Rodgers and many other friends and team mates of Braun have egg on their faces from staunchly backing the guy who obviously lied to them and seemingly didn't care whose reputations he hurt in an attempt to protect his own.

I don't think AR needs to shun Braun, but I think he needs to make it clear that he is disappointed. I think AR needs to answer the (reasonable) questions asked. "I really don't care to comment on that" should be used very infrequently. He needs to demonstrate his honesty, in contrast to Braun's lack of honesty. I think he might be well-served to admit that his friendship made him perhaps a bit naive originally (as we all were).

Should "8-Twelve MVP Grill" become "Aaron Rodgers MVP Grill"?

hoosier
07-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Should "8-Twelve MVP Grill" become "Aaron Rodgers MVP Grill"?

Nah, but it should definitely start highlighting its hormone free beef.

Patler
07-24-2013, 11:39 AM

:lol: !

Upnorth
07-24-2013, 11:41 AM

Now that is funny!

pbmax
07-24-2013, 11:47 AM
I wonder if the NFL tests for Bovine Growth Hormone?

Maxie the Taxi
07-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Hornung is probably not a good comparison. Unless memory fails me, Hornung didn't deny betting. He fessed up rightaway and apologized. His friends stuck by him. Of course, the culture then wasn't so politically correct as now.

Guiness
07-24-2013, 12:12 PM
A mess to be sure, but is there more harm than a PR problem and egg on his face? I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the case other than Braun's infamous 'the truth will out' speech. Anything related to Biogenesis seem to be ridiculously vague, just being called 'PEDs'. I assume the reason is proprietary formulas, and related to HGH. The worst possible implication, of course, could be that they shared in the spoils of Braun's acquisitions.

One of the crazier bits of all this is how it got blown open - the story is that it was ex-employee mad over back pay. Jesus, how badly do you think they (and all their clients!) wish they'd settled that matter differently? The employee obviously had some very sensitive records, they should have grudgingly paid him/her what they wanted, whether they felt it was blackmail or not! The result of not doing that is millions, probably soon to become tens of millions, of lost income for to some high profile ball players. I wouldn't be surprised to see Congress get involved and open the records.

bobblehead
07-24-2013, 12:12 PM

Probably not, but I would bet my salary that they test for equinox.

Zool
07-24-2013, 12:27 PM

Side effects may include increased milk production.

pbmax
07-24-2013, 12:50 PM

Neigh!

Tony Oday
07-24-2013, 12:50 PM
They are friends,you stand by your friend.

pbmax
07-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Hornung is probably not a good comparison. Unless memory fails me, Hornung didn't deny betting. He fessed up rightaway and apologized. His friends stuck by him. Of course, the culture then wasn't so politically correct as now.

Was he gambling or associating with gamblers? And was it on football? I can't believe he got off with a year ban if he was betting on football.

mraynrand
07-24-2013, 01:06 PM

Vernal or Ottumwal?

Guiness
07-24-2013, 01:19 PM
They are friends,you stand by your friend.

The way Hernandez did? Extreme comparison, I know, but you have to be able to realize when your friends are hurting you, and question how good an idea it is to remain friends. You don't have to turn your back, but distance yourself enough...at least cease business associations. When you make your living in pro sports, it's not a good thing to associate yourself too closely with someone who was banned from the same for cheating!

hoosier
07-24-2013, 01:25 PM
A mess to be sure, but is there more harm than a PR problem and egg on his face? I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the case other than Braun's infamous 'the truth will out' speech. Anything related to Biogenesis seem to be ridiculously vague, just being called 'PEDs'. I assume the reason is proprietary formulas, and related to HGH.

Not HGH but testosterone-stimulating lozenges. In mint and cherry flavor (I am serious). Is there more harm than PR: if you are the owner or the league--or even Braun--there might not be anything bigger than that. Especially Braun: he probably gave the Brewers a home team discount on the assumption that he could make it up in endorsements, and now he is more or less on a par with Jerry Sandusky and Aaron Hernandez for endorsement potential.

Maxie the Taxi
07-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Was he gambling or associating with gamblers? And was it on football? I can't believe he got off with a year ban if he was betting on football.

Hornung was doing both. Not betting on games Packers played, I think. But betting small change...$500 and less.

Good article here: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/03/paul_hornung_faced_a_1-time_nf.html

pbmax
07-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Hornung was doing both. Not betting on games Packers played, I think. But betting small change...$500 and less.

Good article here: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/03/paul_hornung_faced_a_1-time_nf.html

Interesting, because about the only thing I agree with MLB about* is that Pete Rose should be banned from baseball in the afterlife as well. And it all stems from gambling (and then lying about gambling) on the game.

Everyone has their fainting couches prepared for PED issues, and some even think these new PED revelations argue for Rose getting another chance, but I cannot see how PED use rates as a worse crime than betting on the game you are playing (or managing).

Does Gaylord Perry's career spitball use make Pete Rose less of a slime ball?

* There is one other. Football folk, like Albert Breer, constantly refer to baseball likes its failing and about to disappear like boxing from the sporting landscape. No one pays attention to any mass communication number but TV ratings anymore. And while that is a significant driver of revenue, baseball seems to do OK with record levels of attendance and gate receipts.

Maxie the Taxi
07-24-2013, 02:45 PM
The real advantage Hornung garnered is that he fessed up immediately, apologized and took his medicine like a man. I felt as a fan back then that I got screwed out of an extra year of watching Hornung play. I blamed him but also felt the league was out to make an example out of him. He (along with Brett Favre) was the best "football player" I've ever seen on the field. He had a tremendous "feel" for the game. I think he played both ways at Notre Dame and set records as a DB. Great in the clutch as well.

hoosier
07-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Interesting, because about the only thing I agree with MLB about* is that Pete Rose should be banned from baseball in the afterlife as well. And it all stems from gambling (and then lying about gambling) on the game.

Everyone has their fainting couches prepared for PED issues, and some even think these new PED revelations argue for Rose getting another chance, but I cannot see how PED use rates as a worse crime than betting on the game you are playing (or managing).

I know MLB doesn't make any distinction between betting for vs. against your own team, but should we? The argument against betting on your team is that it creates at least the semblance of conflict of interest. But if someone like Rose could show that he had only ever bet on the Reds winning, where is the conflict of interest?

Hornung was suspended for gambling and for associating with unsavory elements or some such thing. I haven't found anything written about who he was placing bets with, but I wonder if the real problem wasn't the betting per se but the risk (real or perceived) of the league's star associating with Hyman Roth types.

Guiness
07-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Not HGH but testosterone-stimulating lozenges. In mint and cherry flavor (I am serious). Is there more harm than PR: if you are the owner or the league--or even Braun--there might not be anything bigger than that. Especially Braun: he probably gave the Brewers a home team discount on the assumption that he could make it up in endorsements, and now he is more or less on a par with Jerry Sandusky and Aaron Hernandez for endorsement potential.

Dunno, Ben Johnson got a deal peddling energy drinks :smile:

I wonder what happens with him next year? How much will his play suffer? Baseball contract are guaranteed, so he should at least get the rest of the pretty sizeable one he has now.

edit: Looks like the dominos have started to fall wrt Braun's endorsement deals. Kwik Trip (what is that?) dumped him
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/22857808/ryan-braun-loses-local-endorsement-deal

hoosier
07-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Kwik Trip is a regional chain of stop-and-robs (convenience stores).

Fritz
07-24-2013, 04:00 PM
I know MLB doesn't make any distinction between betting for vs. against your own team, but should we? The argument against betting on your team is that it creates at least the semblance of conflict of interest. But if someone like Rose could show that he had only ever bet on the Reds winning, where is the conflict of interest?

Hornung was suspended for gambling and for associating with unsavory elements or some such thing. I haven't found anything written about who he was placing bets with, but I wonder if the real problem wasn't the betting per se but the risk (real or perceived) of the league's star associating with Hyman Roth types.

I used to think the same thing - what's really wrong with betting on your own team? - until I got schooled several years ago by a (really) old timer.

Here's the scenario he presented: Say Rose bet on his Reds to win. And Rose hasn't been winning much lately, and in trying to get it back he plunks a whole lotta coin on his team - coin he may be good for, but would break him. He figures he's got his ace on the mound, the other team's throwing a dog out there- in short, it's all favorable. So he puts it all on Red(s).

Game gets late, and it's a tight one. Maybe Rose would let his ace reliever throw an extra two innings, 'cuz Pete's gotta have this game. Maybe he keeps his star in the game when the guy tells Rose he's tweaked a hammy rounding third. In short, maybe Rose sacrifices the best longer-term interests of the team in order to win this one game.

That's why it's a bad idea.

As for what Rodgers should do, that's easy. When he's asked, just say "Ryan Braun who?"

Pugger
07-24-2013, 04:09 PM
The real advantage Hornung garnered is that he fessed up immediately, apologized and took his medicine like a man. I felt as a fan back then that I got screwed out of an extra year of watching Hornung play. I blamed him but also felt the league was out to make an example out of him. He (along with Brett Favre) was the best "football player" I've ever seen on the field. He had a tremendous "feel" for the game. I think he played both ways at Notre Dame and set records as a DB. Great in the clutch as well.

Hornung also didn't play during this social media era and 24/7 sports coverage so he never had to face the scrutiny that Rodgers will tomorrow when he comes back to GB. Rodgers should just say he is disappointed in Braun but will still be his friend and will be there for him. Hopefully that will be the end of it. And I hope this will teach him and others to be a tad more careful what they tweet in the future.

hoosier
07-24-2013, 04:20 PM
I used to think the same thing - what's really wrong with betting on your own team? - until I got schooled several years ago by a (really) old timer.

Here's the scenario he presented: Say Rose bet on his Reds to win. And Rose hasn't been winning much lately, and in trying to get it back he plunks a whole lotta coin on his team - coin he may be good for, but would break him. He figures he's got his ace on the mound, the other team's throwing a dog out there- in short, it's all favorable. So he puts it all on Red(s).

Game gets late, and it's a tight one. Maybe Rose would let his ace reliever throw an extra two innings, 'cuz Pete's gotta have this game. Maybe he keeps his star in the game when the guy tells Rose he's tweaked a hammy rounding third. In short, maybe Rose sacrifices the best longer-term interests of the team in order to win this one game.

That's why it's a bad idea.

As for what Rodgers should do, that's easy. When he's asked, just say "Ryan Braun who?"

Ace relievers are now biologically programmed to self-destruct after one inning, so that problem is solved, but the hamstring hasn't evolved that much so I guess you make a good point.

ThunderDan
07-24-2013, 04:23 PM
ARod should man up and admit what he said and tweeted. Then admit that Braun fooled him just like everyone else.

Guiness
07-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Hornung also didn't play during this social media era and 24/7 sports coverage so he never had to face the scrutiny that Rodgers will tomorrow when he comes back to GB. Rodgers should just say he is disappointed in Braun but will still be his friend and will be there for him. Hopefully that will be the end of it. And I hope this will teach him and others to be a tad more careful what they tweet in the future.

So...what happens with the guy Rodgers bet a season's salary with that Braun was clean? I heard he's offering Aaron a settlement, he'll accept a single game cheque :-P

Upnorth
07-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Neigh!

I don't really care one way or another about the thread topic, but thre have been some great one liners thanks to it!

pbmax
07-24-2013, 06:46 PM
The other problem with gambling is debt. Even if you stay away from your team and the teams you play, you can still owe money and you are quite vulnerable.

And there is the problem of tracking all the bets. Its hard to believe even today that MLB knows ALL the bets Rose made.

Fritz
07-24-2013, 07:09 PM
ARod should man up and admit what he said and tweeted. Then admit that Braun fooled him just like everyone else.

Why are we assuming Braun fooled Rodgers? Maybe Rodgers knew all along but kept up the scam for his buddy.

Joemailman
07-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Why are we assuming Braun fooled Rodgers? Maybe Rodgers knew all along but kept up the scam for his buddy.

Rodgers isn't stupid. If he knew Braun was taking PED's, he wouldn't have so aggressively publicly supported Braun. He would have quietly distanced himself from Braun.

Joemailman
07-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Rodgers should get a jersey to wear.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb449/route25/brauncheater.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/route25/media/brauncheater.jpg.html)

George Cumby
07-24-2013, 11:42 PM
So...what happens with the guy Rodgers bet a season's salary with that Braun was clean? I heard he's offering Aaron a settlement, he'll accept a single game cheque :-P

How about AR paying the cheque to the other party's charity of choice? Makes everyone look good.

Guiness
07-24-2013, 11:58 PM
How about AR paying the cheque to the other party's charity of choice? Makes everyone look good.

Dunno who the other guy is, but if it's a regular guy (and it looks like he is) a quarter mil check is pretty life changing! Fun stuff on his twitter
https://twitter.com/toddsutton

MadtownPacker
07-25-2013, 01:19 AM
Hornung also didn't play during this social media era and 24/7 sports coverage so he never had to face the scrutiny that Rodgers will tomorrow when he comes back to GB. Rodgers should just say he is disappointed in Braun but will still be his friend and will be there for him. Hopefully that will be the end of it. And I hope this will teach him and others to be a tad more careful what they tweet in the future.Excellent post and my exact feelings. He is a stand up guy sticking by his friend. That doesn't mean he agrees or supports the problem IMO.

RashanGary
07-25-2013, 01:34 AM
Excellent post and my exact feelings. He is a stand up guy sticking by his friend. That doesn't mean he agrees or supports the problem IMO.

agree

Patler
07-25-2013, 04:40 AM
As I think about my own question more, "what should Rodgers do?", I think the answer depends a lot on what Braun does. So far, I'm not impressed by Braun. I recognize that if he will or won't talk, and what he might say likely will be determined by his lawyers, but he has the final say in it. In view of his blatant lies the past 18 months, and his willingness to trample on and disparage anyone in his way, I think it will be wrong to hide behind a curtain of "legal advice". He has to be authentically contrite and apologetic to everyone involved, and he has to make honest efforts to fix what he has done.

Anything less than that from Braun, and I think AR needs to step back from the relationship a little. Not totally cast Braun aside, but be willing to confront him and the mess he has made.

The Brewers generally, and Attonozio specifically, have already begun making excuses for Braun's lack of candor and availability since the suspension. I don't think Rodgers should do the same.

Bretsky
07-25-2013, 05:11 AM
I think if asked about it Rodgers just eats a bit of humble pie, notes nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes, and Ryan has made some choices that he regrets.... but he'll support him as they move forward. And hen he moves on.

ThunderDan
07-25-2013, 08:10 AM

Good point. I would hope that ARod would have the sense to distance himself from someone he knows is not being truthful like Braun was.

I really think this is another Lance Armstrong case. Braun just flat out lied to everyone and hoped to get away with it.

Pugger
07-25-2013, 08:37 AM
But Braun is not the creep Armstrong was from what I hear. He was not highly regarded by his peers and other riders were more than happy to throw him under the bus.

Patler
07-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Well, after day one I think he did a superb job with the questions:
- shocked that it was true
- disappointed (hurt) at being lied to
- learned a lesson about being more cautious in volatile situations
- not sure or noncommittal about what this means for their business relationship
- not embarrassed for backing a friend he trusted
- believes in forgiveness, but avoiding saying he forgives Braun yet.

AR really is very good with the press. The Packers were smart in having a PR guy there to cut off the Braun questions so that Rodgers did not have to.
Handled very well by everyone.