PDA

View Full Version : Do the Packers want a PUPpy?

Fritz
07-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Well, tomorrow's the big day, so the Packers have about 24 hours to decide whether to put anyone on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. That list, if I recall correctly, means the player cannot practice with the team and is ineligible for the first six games of the season (I think it's six), and thus does not count against the roster - it frees up a roster spot while giving the team a chance to carry a player who is hurt but could recover in time to play that season. If the team decides the player isn't ready, they can cut him or put him on IR.

It would seem that Jerel Worthy is an obvious candidate, given what we know of his injury. I'm surprised he hasn't been announced.

Another I've advocated for is Derrick Sherrod. As we know from history - history being Mike Flanagan, former Packer center - that particular injury takes a long time to heal. We also know the competition is fierce on the offensive line, and we know teams don't like to give up on former first round picks as soon as they might on, say, former fifth round picks.

I hope the team will put Sherrod on the PUP to give him a little more time and to be able to keep him without taking a roster spot, thus letting the offensive line competition play out. By week six, the team will have had a chance to evaluate Bakhtieri, Datko, Van Roten, and see what is needed.

If the team does not opt for the PUP for Sherrod, I can only guess that they think he's pretty well healed and needs the reps so they can evaluate where he is. Me, I'd rather call this year a wash and then make next year his make-it-or-break-it year.

But why they haven't shelved Worthy is a real mystery to me.

Anyone else people think should or should not be PUPped?

Smidgeon
07-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Before the season starts, they can take a player off the PUP. Once the season starts, they're locked on the list for the first six weeks.

MadScientist
07-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Until camp opens, it does not matter. They will conduct the physicals / condition tests today or tomorrow and anyone who fails will be listed as PUP.

Fritz
07-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Until camp opens, it does not matter. They will conduct the physicals / condition tests today or tomorrow and anyone who fails will be listed as PUP.

Ah. Good info. I've seen other teams already putting players on their PUP lists, so I wo dered what was up here.

Guiness
07-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Is there a time limit on when guys can be put on? I'm not so sure when camp opens matters, I though that once a guy steps on the field the team can then not place him on the list.

Smidgeon
07-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Is there a time limit on when guys can be put on? I'm not so sure when camp opens matters, I though that once a guy steps on the field the team can then not place him on the list.

Correct

Guiness
07-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Just saw that Percy Harvin was placed on the PUP by Seattle. I think Minnesota might have gotten better by swapping Harvin for GJ.

Interesting though, from the article at PFT:

All players count against the active roster. Coming up later today, I’ll explain why teams use the designation, if it ultimately doesn’t provide them with an extra roster spot in the interim.

MadScientist
07-25-2013, 02:42 PM
A player must be placed on the active (preseason) PUP before the start of training camp. Since the players still count against the 90-man roster, there is no advantage to putting him on it before camp opens. I have not found specific information about when a player can go on it, but I have never heard it used during OTA's, so it may not be available until ~July. They also may need a failed physical to go on it so that brings things to when players arrive for the physicals. Players can go from active PUP to active at any time.

Only players on the active PUP at the end of preseason can be placed on the reserve PUP, where they miss the first 6 weeks but do not count against the roster.

Fritz
07-26-2013, 07:02 AM
So the seven guys the Packers put on PUP count on the active roster, but as long as they are off by the end of preseason they can still play during the season?

pbmax
07-26-2013, 07:49 AM
So the seven guys the Packers put on PUP count on the active roster, but as long as they are off by the end of preseason they can still play during the season?

Yes. They have to be on the list from Day 1 of camp to be eligible for the 6 week PUP window during the regular season. They can come back to camp any time, but once they do, they are no longer eligible. If they get hut AFTER camp opens, they can't get on the list for the six week window.

Fritz
07-30-2013, 09:09 AM
So in a way it might be advantageous to keep these guys on the PUP list until after the end of the second preseason game, to see if anyone else gets hurt in the meantime. They get more time to heal, and you don't have to declare their futures too soon, while still giving them the last two exhibition games to knock off the rust.

ThunderDan
07-30-2013, 09:24 AM
So in a way it might be advantageous to keep these guys on the PUP list until after the end of the second preseason game, to see if anyone else gets hurt in the meantime. They get more time to heal, and you don't have to declare their futures too soon, while still giving them the last two exhibition games to knock off the rust.

Ted is that you?

Fritz
07-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Patler is Ted.

Patler
07-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Patler is Ted.

You betcha! That's why you will never again see a significant FA on the roster. If I was wasting time tracking down a bunch of FAs, interviewing them and working out broad contract terms, I wouldn't have time to post on here!