PDA

View Full Version : Neal, Sherrod, Harris (And Others) On PUP List

Joemailman
07-25-2013, 11:17 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130725/PKR0101/130725044/Neal-Harris-Sherrod-placed-PUP-list?nclick_check=1

The Green Bay Packers will start training camp on Friday without the services of oft-injured defensive lineman Mike Neal.

According to the NFL's transaction report, the 6-foot-3, 285-pound defensive lineman was one of seven who failed his physical on Thursday and placed on the physically unable to perform list.

The Packers also placed offensive linemen Derek Sherrod (broken leg) and J.C. Tretter (broken ankle), running back DuJuan Harris (surgery to remove a cyst), defensive lineman Jerel Worthy (knee surgery), and safeties Sean Richardson (neck surgery) and Chaz Powell (unknown).

Neal is a surprise. The others, not so much.

Guiness
07-26-2013, 12:00 AM
For all of us who thought a break was better than a sprain, I give you exhibit A, Derek Sherrod.

18 months and he still can't pass a physical. At least we know he's not on HGH. Have to think he's going to get an injury settlement and that's it for him. Hope I'm wrong, but I also hope he saved his money.

Guiness
07-26-2013, 12:05 AM
OTOH Quarless isn't on the list, which is good!

packer4life
07-26-2013, 01:23 AM
MIKE NEAL!?!!?!? WHAT THE FUCK...

sorry, I'm really pissed off after reading this. I really expected bigger things out of him this year. He was my "Nick Perry" for 2013. Sigh.

Joemailman
07-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Neal needs all the reps he can get because of the switch of positions he's trying to make. The coaching staff has to be really ticked off about this. Would a guy sabotage his own physical if he wanted out?

QBME
07-26-2013, 06:37 AM
MIKE NEAL!?!!?!? WHAT THE FUCK...

sorry, I'm really pissed off after reading this. I really expected bigger things out of him this year. He was my "Nick Perry" for 2013. Sigh.

Maybe he really is Fake Tough Guy after all....

Fritz
07-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Maybe he really is Fake Tough Guy after all....

I have been a big Mike Neal supporter, and the rational part of me wants to say let's wait and find out what the injury is, or what happened.

But my emotional reaction is WHAT THE FUCK???

I'm about tired of this bastard being hurt all the damn time.

Maxie the Taxi
07-26-2013, 06:51 AM
I'm done worrying about who isn't available. Mulumba is healthy. Josh Boyd is healthy. So is Datko...and James Starks! Go team!

Joemailman
07-26-2013, 06:57 AM
I'm done worrying about who isn't available. Mulumba is healthy. Josh Boyd is healthy. So is Datko...and James Starks! Go team!

Having Neal and Worthy out at the same time creates a huge opportunity for Josh Boyd. Hope he runs with it.

Fritz
07-26-2013, 06:59 AM
I don't know. When you hear about seven guys being put on the PUP list while other teams list two or three, you wonder what the hell the Packers have done to be so cursed by the gods, or if they are just extra careful, or if it's Rock Gullickson part four, or what.

I'm just so disgusted about Mike Neal right now.

Old School
07-26-2013, 07:16 AM
When does this crap end? And more importantly, what is it that keeps this going on THIS team? Just disgusting.

Maxie the Taxi
07-26-2013, 07:26 AM
http://youtu.be/t0nv0UxI0xY

pbmax
07-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Neal needs all the reps he can get because of the switch of positions he's trying to make. The coaching staff has to be really ticked off about this. Would a guy sabotage his own physical if he wanted out?

He doesn't seem the type, considering how much he works out.

Can't believe the list is seven players long. Even though Worthy almost had to be on there and Tretter seemed likely.

pittstang5
07-26-2013, 08:28 AM
I gotta think the med. staff is being extra cautious with some of these injuries. Take Harris, if I remember correctly, he was wanting to go right after the removal of the cyst. So I have no doubt he won't be on there long. Worthy & Tretter I get. Sherrod, thought he'd finally be ready to go, but again, they're probably want to work him out a bit to make sure things are ok. Neal - surprised, but then that's the norm with this guy. Richardson - neck surgery - probably want to be extra cautious with that one, but that sucks and is going to hurt his chances of playing time.

run pMc
07-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Having Neal and Worthy out at the same time creates a huge opportunity for Josh Boyd. Hope he runs with it.

Door is open a little wider for Johnny Jolly too.

Wonder why Neal failed his physical? He's a weight room junkie, so I'd have to think he's in shape.

denverYooper
07-26-2013, 09:32 AM
He doesn't seem the type, considering how much he works out.

Can't believe the list is seven players long. Even though Worthy almost had to be on there and Tretter seemed likely.

Harris is not really a surprise either.

denverYooper
07-26-2013, 09:33 AM
VIVA CJ WILSON!

Pugger
07-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Door is open a little wider for Johnny Jolly too.

Wonder why Neal failed his physical? He's a weight room junkie, so I'd have to think he's in shape.

Wasn't Neal participating in the OTAs recently?

pbmax
07-26-2013, 09:52 AM

Now that you mention it, I think he did tweak something during OTAs, didn't he?

HarveyWallbangers
07-26-2013, 10:03 AM

"Performance Enhancing? Not When You’re on the DL"

http://www.withoutthejuice.com/performance-enhancing-dl/

pbmax
07-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Now that you mention it, I think he did tweak something during OTAs, didn't he?

He was participating but injured his abdomen near the end of OTAs. Is a week or two away.

Guiness
07-26-2013, 01:16 PM
He was participating but injured his abdomen near the end of OTAs. Is a week or two away.

Abdomen? Crap, those are a death knell for hockey players. Like a lot of soft tissue injuries, they can really linger. And it seems most of Neale's injuries linger.

pbmax
07-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Neal does not appear to be resisting the position change:

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 9m
Neal also laid off weights and placed more emphasis on running to "get my body in more of a nimble position to play, more flexible"

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 10m
Neal is down to 275 LBs. Said it was a personal decision to expedite dual role as OLB/DL. Ate 10 oz of salmon 2x w/ egg whites for breakfast

pbmax
07-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Has the be the first optimistic news about Sherrod since he came off PUP last year to practice in individual drills. But its very guarded and couched optimism and he isn't there yet.

Sherrod's Comeback Generates Optimism, By Bill Huber at Scout.com (http://gnb.scout.com/2/1310336.html#.UfKox6ZnyZ8.twitter)

Guiness
07-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Anyone heard what House's illness is?

Good to see the reason listed is not 'shoulder' but unhappy to see him among the walking wounded again (still?).

Freak Out
07-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Fire Slocum!

Freak Out
07-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Neal does not appear to be resisting the position change:

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 9m
Neal also laid off weights and placed more emphasis on running to "get my body in more of a nimble position to play, more flexible"

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 10m
Neal is down to 275 LBs. Said it was a personal decision to expedite dual role as OLB/DL. Ate 10 oz of salmon 2x w/ egg whites for breakfast

Yes but was it wild Alaskan salmon or some farmed fish? That could be the problem.

pbmax
07-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Anyone heard what House's illness is?

Good to see the reason listed is not 'shoulder' but unhappy to see him among the walking wounded again (still?).

I think they are still debating about whether he will wear a harness or not. But not sure that debate is what is holding him out now.

Joemailman
07-26-2013, 08:47 PM
I think they are still debating about whether he will wear a harness or not. But not sure that debate is what is holding him out now.

According to MM, House is out with an illness. Harris is out with a knee injury suffered while working out prior to training camp.

Bretsky
07-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Justine on the PUP ? No surprise......I"m headed to Famly night next weekend

Maxie the Taxi
07-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Neal and Hayward hurt themselves training on their own and were surprise injuries

From: http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2013/07/28/surviving-sunday-news-notes-and-analysis-from-packers-training-camp/

Seriously, how does something like this happen? These players are in camp, surrounded by a thousand coaches of every stripe. Plus, the Packers have a physical conditioning and weight room coach. How the hell do they get hurt "training on their own?"

pbmax
07-28-2013, 08:56 AM
They had much of the Spring and most of the Summer off. Even if you stayed in town for the offseason program, you were off for much of June and July.

Fritz
07-28-2013, 09:54 AM
From: http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2013/07/28/surviving-sunday-news-notes-and-analysis-from-packers-training-camp/

Seriously, how does something like this happen? These players are in camp, surrounded by a thousand coaches of every stripe. Plus, the Packers have a physical conditioning and weight room coach. How the hell do they get hurt "training on their own?"

Maybe it was better in the old days when guys in the offseason would get a job in a meat-packing plant, and smoke and drink at night and on weekends.

Back in them days, training camp was held to whip those boys into shape.

Now, they want to come in to camp in shape, but somehow they hurt themselves working out.

Maxie the Taxi
07-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Now, they want to come in to camp in shape, but somehow they hurt themselves working out.

I understood these guys got hurt working on on their own in camp. Maybe I misunderstood.

Funny, I remember seeing film of Max McGee and Paul Hornung in the locker room after a game...smoking! I think Max and Paul never spent much time in the weight room. Paul used to run up the stadium stairs and Max just used to run around. They were natural athletes.

Fritz
07-28-2013, 10:14 AM
These guys are too, but there's so much more money involved now. Paul Hornung, with those lack-of-practice habits and the smoking after games, would get killed today. Heck, any of those old teams would. Just look at the weights the offensive and defensive lines were listed at.

Today, Hornung would be buff and trained up. He'd do just fine, though running backs are not as sexy as they used to be. Other than AP. Who is the best running back I have ever seen, and I've been watching great running backs since the 70's. He's better than Walter Payton, better than Emmitt Smith, better than Earl Campbell, better than any of them.

Maxie the Taxi
07-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Hornung has always been a favorite of mine. Most hard-nosed player I've ever seen, maybe other than Favre. For size and speed and moves, AP is hard to beat. Although I always considered Gale Sayers and Jim Brown among the best. They'd control a game just like AP does.

pbmax
07-28-2013, 10:24 AM
I understood these guys got hurt working on on their own in camp. Maybe I misunderstood.

Funny, I remember seeing film of Max McGee and Paul Hornung in the locker room after a game...smoking! I think Max and Paul never spent much time in the weight room. Paul used to run up the stadium stairs and Max just used to run around. They were natural athletes.

I don't think so. But I could be misreading it.

red
07-28-2013, 10:26 AM
These guys are too, but there's so much more money involved now. Paul Hornung, with those lack-of-practice habits and the smoking after games, would get killed today. Heck, any of those old teams would. Just look at the weights the offensive and defensive lines were listed at.

Today, Hornung would be buff and trained up. He'd do just fine, though running backs are not as sexy as they used to be. Other than AP. Who is the best running back I have ever seen, and I've been watching great running backs since the 70's. He's better than Walter Payton, better than Emmitt Smith, better than Earl Campbell, better than any of them.

ahem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kabdia7VYp4

Patler
07-28-2013, 11:33 AM
The amount of time that coaches and staff can have contact with the players during the off season is limited, now even more so than before the last CBA negotiation. The players are now forced to train on their own for much of the off season. Many get together in groups at conditioning centers around the country. There are two major "dead periods" when the players are on their own; from the end of the season to when the now much shorter off-season conditioning camp starts in April (I think) and for 3 weeks or so from the end of OTA's to the start of training camp.

run pMc
07-29-2013, 10:08 AM
I really hope Sherrod can heal up and contribute to the team, at least as a backup swing tackle.
I'm not holding my breath, though.

Wouldn't be surprised if they PUP him and bring him in mid-season fully healed when everyone else is beat up.

Carolina_Packer
07-29-2013, 10:56 AM
http://www.sportsmedia101.com/newyorkgiants/2013/07/27/nfl-makes-minor-change-to-physically-unable-to-perform-pup-list-rules/

If you read the above link, it looks like this is a preseason PUP list, which I took to mean that they are not going to see the practice field before they are ready 1) for fear of re-aggravating whatever ailment they have 2) because once practice, the PUP list is not an option until the start of the season, so it makes no sense to bring them back prematurely. It does put them behind, for sure, but it doesn't necessarily mean they won't be available by the start of the regular season. Is that how you interpret it?