PDA

View Full Version : Camp Reports 2013 or Oh No, That Doesn't Look Good

Pages : [1] 2

pbmax
07-26-2013, 09:36 AM
First practice underway, here is what seems worth Tweeting about.

Alex Green, just prior to being cut, gets first team reps at HB. Possibly, an audition as prelude to trading him.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 1h
Hayward n House passed physicals but r standing on side during warm ups. Not sure if they will practice, will update

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 58m
Personal observation but Johnny Jolly does appear lighter than OTAs

>HE'S FOCUSED!

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 58m
Some of the players not practicing: Casey Hayward, Jamari Lattimore, Derrick Sherrod, Mike Neal, Sean Richardson, Chaz Powell\

>WHO IS CHAZ POWELL? IS THIS LIKE SILVERSTEIN AND TRAMONTANA AGAIN?

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 57m
#Packers non participants: RB Harris, S Richardson, CB Hayward, CB House, S Powell, LB Lattimore, OL Tretter, Sherrod, DLs Neal and Worthy

>THEY SHOULD JUST LIST THE PLAYERS WHO CAN ACTUALLY PLAY

MD Jennings and Sam Shields starting in secondary.

>THEY SHOULD JUST DO AWAY WITH THE DRAFT

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 57m
Aaron Rodgers' parents in attendance today. QB gave his mom and dad hug prior to practice. #Packers

>SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE: GREG JENNINGS IS A TERRIBLE PERSON WHO DOES NOT HUG HIS PARENTS ENOUGH. SEE POLL AT TOP.

pbmax
07-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1h
Don Barclay repping at center with threes. Datko getting work at RT

>I AM GOING TO GET A LOT OF GRIEF AT ANCIENT POSTERS CLUB MEETING FROM PATLER IF DATKO STARTS AND SHERROD IS ON PUP FOR WEEK ONE.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 1h
Datone Jones lining up inside in@early nickel drill. He and Mike Daniels.

>POSITIVE: DRAFT PICK STILL HEALTHY ENOUGH TO WALK

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Packers jumping right into team work on offense. Marshall Newhouse at RT, Alex Green at RB with the unit to start.

>I AM STARTING TO FEEL ABOUT NEWHOUSE THE WAY RED FEELS ABOUT BUSH. HIS MERE PRESENCE MOCKS AND DISTURBS ME.

Rookie Micah Hyde getting reps with No. 2 defense at CB.

> NEXT YEAR'S DRAFT THE PERSONNEL PEOPLE SHOULD FAKE THE REPORTS AND MAKE TED THINK HE IS LOOKING AT CBs WHEN HE IS ACTUALLY DRAFTING LINEMAN.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Rookie wide receivers Charles Johnson and Kevin Dorsey were dinged up through OTA's but they're back for camp.

>BREAKING: PACKERS PLAYERS DEMONSTRATE ABILITY TO HEAL

Second team offensive line same as OTAs: Bahtiari, Datko, GVR, Taylor and Barclay

>I AM NOT ENOUGH OF A CONTRARIAN (NOR DO I WORK AT SLATE) TO SAY I PREFER THIS LINE TO THE STARTERS. BUT ITS CLOSER THAN IT SHOULD BE.

Johnny Jolly has a helmet problem and isn't getting any reps on defense.

>WORDS FAIL ME. DNP: EQUIPMENT FAILURE

pbmax
07-26-2013, 10:00 AM
LB Nick Perry is practicing with a brace or cast on his surgically repaired left wrist.

>I AM SURE ITS JUST A PRECAUTION. :bang:

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 56m
Ahman Green is here but not on the sideline. He's on the field with the running backs right now.

>MEMORY OF RUNNING GAME MIGHT HELP

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 56m
In addition, to Hayward, Davon House is also out at CB.

>SHOULDN'T HAVE HAD BURRITO FOR BREAKFAST

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 51m
Johnny Jolly working with the 3s and that might only be because Neal is out. He'll have to work his way up from the bottom.

>AT THIS RATE, WILL BE WITH ONEs NEXT MONDAY

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 51m
Fan in stands to @ClayMatthews52: "Clay, my wife loves you!" Five seconds later, another guy: "Clay, I love you!" #Packers

IDEA FOR POLL TOMORROW: SUCH A THING AS TOO MUCH HUGGING?

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 48m
Derrick Sherrod is running from drill to dri ll with his teammates but obviously the doctors didn't think he was ready to practice.

>I GUESS THIS IS GOOD NEWS

Maxie the Taxi
07-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Jolly's been out of football for three years. Maybe he forgot how to strap it on.

pbmax
07-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 51m
Jennings getting first reps with first team defense. Green and Starks still working with ones

>GOING TO GET STARKS 2013 INJURY OUT OF THE WAY EARLY

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 51m
During some screen work, Lacy looks smooth, Pease drops the ball. Also, Green probably looked the most natural catching the ball in drills.

>GO BIG MAN!

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 52m
#Packers continue to treat dropped passes as fumbles. First one by Jeremy Ross, then by Angelo Pease. Not fumbles but treated as such.

>THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN FULL TIME COACHES HAVE NO ACTUAL PRACTICE TIME BUT HAVE UNENDING HOURS TO PLAN AND RESCHEDULE LUNCH

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 53m
Johnathan Franklin showing natural catch and run ability on a screen. Nice explosion.

>NICE TO SEE EXPLOSION DESCRIBE SOMETHING OTHER THAN BODY PART MALFUNCTION

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 52m
Punt drill and Randall Cobb is back with Tramon Williams. But this is punt coverage, not punt return, so we still don't know who's No. 1.

>THEN WHY ARE YOU TWEETING THIS!

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 53m
If Johnathan Franklin proves he can pass protect, he could really deliver something special catching ball out of backfield. Very sudden.

>HAVE FOUND NEW WAY TO OCCUPY TIME NOW THAT SHERROD HAS DASHED O LINE UPGRADE HOPES

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 53m
Jeremy Ross working as personal protector for Masthay on punt team, Kuhn follows. Kuhn had that job past few years

>WOULD REALLY PREFER HIM RETURNING PUNTS, BUT OKAY IF THIS HELPS HIM MAKE TEAM

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 53m
Coaches wanting defensive players to scoop up incomplete passes continues into training camp. Emphasis through the spring.

>REMINDER, TRETTER MESSED UP HIS ANKLE WITH A BALL RECOVERY DRILL. PLEASE BE CAREFUL

Maxie the Taxi
07-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Johnathan Franklin showing natural catch and run ability on a screen. Nice explosion.

This was evident in his college highlight videos. Guy is very, very quick. Makes Pease look like lava flowing.

pbmax
07-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 49m
Johnathan Franklin just returned a punt.

>OK. PUNT COVERAGE DRILL OR PUNT RETURN DRILL. YOU LEFT A LOT OF THE 140 CHARACTERS UNUSED THERE TOM

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 41m
Rookie Datone Jones tosses blocking sled aside like a rag doll.

>NICKNAME POSSIBILITY, JOHN HENRY. MUST INVESTIGATE POSSIBLE RACIAL UNDERTONES AND IGNORE REFERENCE TO MALE GENITALIA

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 51m
And here is Aaron Rodgers finding Jermichael Finley. QBs working with the TEs... https://vine.co/v/hAbFHJwOInn

>NO COMMENT YET FROM JENNINGS AND FINLEY IS NOT TAKING QUESTIONS

Eddie Lacy looks pretty trim. There's not much of a gut there. Seems like his weight is OK.

>PACKER STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING PROGRAM? MIXED RECORD. COOKS? SHOULD GET A RAISE AND PROMOTION.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 48m
#packers outside linebackers doing a chase drill through figure 8s to fans delight. Matthews couldn't catch Nick Perry

>MASTER OF MOTIVATION KEVIN GREEN TOLD PERRY IF HE ELUDED MATTHEWS HE WOULD LET HIM HAVE A SNAP WITH HIS HAND ON THE GROUND

Michael Tanier ‏@MikeTanier 48m
Terrell Davis on NFLN: "Until he gets to the Super Bowl I cannot consider Matt Schaub a Super Bowl caliber quarterback." Tautologies Rule!

> PROOF WE HAVE PASSED CRITICAL MASS ON AMOUNT OF SHOWS ON TV

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 47m
Sunday is when fun really begins when #Packers suit up in full pads. Today and tomorrow is shorts and shells.

>APPLESAUCE DEMONSTRATING THE MARKETING SAAVY THAT HELP MAKE NEWSPAPERS A THRIVING INDUSTRY.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 35m
Still must prove here, though. RT @CBauerNFLDraft: Franklin was best blocker at Senior Bowl, and it wasn't close. Immediate 3rd down back.

>WILDE WILL BE HAVING NONE OF YOUR EXPERTISE SIR!

Joel Barker ‏@joelbarker08 46m
@MikeTanier the first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club

>THINGS LIKE THIS MAKE ME LAUGH

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 50m
James Starks looks like he's in great shape. Lean and powerful.

>KOD

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 50m
Rookie Hyde gets first snap in nickel jog through with Hayward n House out

>MAYBE SOME CBs CAN PLAY RT.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 46m
Two drops in a row from Charles Johnson and Myles White. Edgar Bennett's head just exploded.

>IF PACKERS D COULD PLAY DEFENSE VS PACKERS O AND CONVINCE LEAGUE FORWARD PASSERS WERE LATERALS, PACKERS TURNOVER NUMBERS WOULD IMPROVE. THAT WAS THE 37TH IDEA MCCARTHY HAD FOR 2013 TRAINING CAMP CHANGES THIS PAST MARCH.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 47m
Last time Johnny Jolly practiced in camp was summer of 2009. That's a long time ago. He has an uphill climb to earn roster spot.

>YOU CLIMB UPHILL, BUT WHAT ARE YOU DOING WHEN YOU GO DOWNHILL?

Music being played during team waterbreaks at practice (new camp feature, was Idea #23 for M3). Some of it was produced in the last decade. Many reporters asking for explanation of Robin Thicke. Hope they played the 'G' version of Blurred Lines.

>SILVERSTEIN CLAIMS TO KNOW NO MUSIC AFTER 2000. THEN MENTIONS PRINCE AND PUBLIC ENEMY. 2000 IS PROBABLY A GENEROUS ESTIMATE TOM.

Smidgeon
07-26-2013, 10:54 AM
The commentary is priceless. :)

pbmax
07-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 50m
CJ Wilson absolutely destroyed Andrew Datko on a pass rush move. Datko is playing guard. Was a LT at Fla St.

>THIS ONE IS FOR BOBBLE

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 52m
Graham Harrell shows off the arm a bit. Deep heave to Charles Johnson, who nearly hauls in a diving catch. Got behind Bush I believe.

>THIS ONE IS FOR RED

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 55m
Newhouse getting first shot at RT. Barclay second.

>CONSISTENT DEPTH CHART FOR ENTIRE FIRST PRACTICE

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 52m
Harrell, Coleman splitting backup QB reps in team

>HARD TO ARGUE WITH THIS. WIST WILL BE BY LATER TO PROVE ME WRONG

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 52m
McCarthy cracking down big time on photo taking by media. Worried people will find out he's running the veer.

>FUN FACT AND A RANT: YOU COULD RUN THE VEER FROM THE PISTOL OR THE INVERTED WISHBONE M3 USES (AND THE 49ERS DID JUST THAT). BUT THAT OFFENSE WAS TOO DATED AND OBSCURE FOR TOM OATES WHEN IT WITH THE BADGERS UNDER MORTON. IF COLIN COWHERD EVER SHUFFLES OFF HIS MOTAL COIL, OATES WILL TAKE THE MANTLE AS LEADING PURVEYOR OF PANICKED EMOTIONALISMS MASQUERADING AS THOUGHTS.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 55m
Jerron McMillian sticks Pease on a run to the left. He closes fast.

>C'MON BIG GUY. WIN THAT JOB.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 55m
Micah Hyde breaks up a pass down the middle to Alex Gillett

>7 TEs for 7 CBs

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 57m
I hesitate to say how good James Starks looks because, well, you know...

>WE KNOW

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 55m
Barclay getting plentiful work as backup center

>GREATER NEED: BARCLAY ON ROSTER OR BACKUP CENTER?

pbmax
07-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 55m
James Jones with a step on Sam Shields but Rodgers overthrows him.

>THIS SHOULD NOT EVER HAPPEN. JONES IS SOME KIND OF WIZARD GETTING DEEP DOWN THE SIDELINE.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 54m
Difficult grab by Cobb up right sideline over Shields. The type of route he wants to work on more, beyond work in the slot.

>SHIELDS GETTING WORKED

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 52m
And Lacy drops a screen. The crowd doesn't cheer that

>FIRE ALEX VAN PELT!

Silverstein mentions Talking Heads

>NEED TO MOVE END OF MUSIC KNOWLEDGE ESTIMATE BACK TO 1995 TOPS

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 46m
With Hayward and House out, Micah Hyde and James Nixon running as No. 2s at CB.

>NOT AFRAID TO SAY IT, WAS NOT AWARE NIXON'S GREAT-GRANDSON WAS ON PACKERS.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 36m
Crosby misses from 50. Tavecchio makes it

>SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 35m
Crosby misses from 53 and so does Tavecchio.
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 34m
Both hit from 53 on their next tries.

>50% SEEMS A THEME HERE, DOESN'T IT?

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 35m
Crosby 4 of 6 on field goals, Tavecchio 5 of 6 with only miss from 53.

>TAVECCHIO SOUNDS LIKE THE FAMILY NAME OF THE TWINS FONZIE WOULD DATE ON HAPPY DAYS

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 31m
#Packers No. 1 nickel in no-huddle 11-on-11 has Datone Jones and Raji as DLs, Tramon, Shields and Bush at CB, Jennings at S.

>JONES MIGHT BE THE NEW JENKINS, NOT YET THE NEW CJ WILSON. ALSO, MCMILLAN THOUGH HE GOT SOME #1 TEAM SNAPS, SEEMS BEHIND JENNINGS AT THIS POINT

pack4to84
07-26-2013, 11:12 AM
thanks pbmax for the updates.

pbmax
07-26-2013, 11:27 AM
McCarthy's Presser

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 11m
Harris knee, week or two; Neal and Hayward "couple weeks away" ... Lattimore and HOuse illness, Powell foot.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 11m
McCarthy says DuJuan Harris has a knee injury and will be out a week or two. #packers

#Packers injuries: sherrod, worthy, tretter, richardson didn't pass physical.

So Harris is not out for lung but knee. Neal has an abdomen and hamstring for Hayward. They are week to two weeks away.

House and Lattimore have illnesses. Powell has a foot (no timetable).

<<<>>>

Sherrod looks better than OTA and McCarthy seems possibly optimistic. Had training conditioning today, see how he is doing tomorrow. This is too much like parsing federal Reserve public statements at this point.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 13m
McCarthy says both Neal and Hayward will be fine, however. Sherrod looks "much better." McCarthy hopes Sherrod is close.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 13m
Sherrod "much further along" than in OTAs. Interested to get feedback and how Sherrod feels tomorrow. "Hope so" when asked if he's close.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 13m
McCarthy on Sherrod: Watched his training. We'll see how he feels tomorrow.

<<<>>>

McCarthy owns an iPad, knows it can hold music. Made it a natural to include as part of camp during downtime planning.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 17m
MM says he does not choose the music in practice. "iPad is way outdated." Goal is to lower heart rate, train the way you play (TV timeouts)

<<<>>>

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 15m
McCarthy on Tretter: Definitely know he won't be ready for the season. As for what pt of season, has not been addressed.

denverYooper
07-26-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm enjoying the commentary pb.

pittstang5
07-26-2013, 11:41 AM
McCarthy's Presser

Harris knee, week or two; Neal and Hayward "couple weeks away" ... Lattimore and HOuse illness, Powell foot.

SO.......Harris will be out a minimum of three weeks and Neal and Hayward might make it back for a couple practices before the regular season starts.

Old School
07-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Sunday's the day.

VegasPackFan
07-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Datone Jones lining up inside in@early nickel drill. He and Mike Daniels.

>POSITIVE: DRAFT PICK STILL HEALTHY ENOUGH TO WALK
[/B]

OK - I seriously cracked up at this one.

hoosier
07-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 17m
Goal is to lower heart rate, train the way you play (TV timeouts)

I'm a little concerned about McCarthy's need to display his structured approach to TC (and not because Greg Jennings said being with the Packers was like walking on egg shells). "The goal is to lower heart rate": maybe he just wasn't feeling very articulate at that moment, but why would that ever be a training goal?

VegasPackFan
07-26-2013, 01:04 PM
NICE TO SEE EXPLOSION DESCRIBE SOMETHING OTHER THAN BODY PART MALFUNCTION

Great commentary but this one is the champ so far. Killed me!

red
07-26-2013, 02:54 PM
so M3 seems happy with how well sherrod is progressing and looked today. hmmm

wasn't it mentioned earlier in the day that he isn't doing any of the drills, he's just jogging with his teamates from drill to drill?

hell, i can do that....

while drunk

m3 might be optimistic, but its been over 20 months since the injury, and he still can't practice . times running out on the kid, and he's just missed so damn much learning time

Freak Out
07-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Fire Slocum!

Red....I would pay a small fee to see you practice with the Packers drunk.

red
07-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Fire Slocum!

Red....I would pay a small fee to see you practice with the Packers drunk.

maybe my friend will score some on field passes to a practice this year like he did last year. if he does, i'll go to stadium view before practice for a couple hours instead of after this time

i'll be the one with no pads trying to tackle bush out around midfield

Brohm
07-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Love the commentary! :twisted:

Tony Oday
07-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Fire Crosby.

packer4life
07-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Hey Pbmax, can you conduct the new Ask Vic segment here for the rats. I need to laugh a bit more. Keep up the zingers

pbmax
07-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Hey Pbmax, can you conduct the new Ask Vic segment here for the rats. I need to laugh a bit more. Keep up the zingers

Cleft Crusty already has Ask Cleft segments after games.

If we do Vic, I think we should reverse engineer it and provide the actual questions Vic was answering when he got lost.

pbmax
07-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Day Two. Now that we know everything there is to know, time to reinforce our closely held beliefs.

Not going to lie, little disappointed Justin did not check in after a night of drinking and comment on poll topic. :)

Biggest topic of Day Two is speculation among Packer beat guys about how many Packer Interns will be fired for playing Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke over the PA during the new, 3 times a practice, musical interlude and water break. The song's lyrics and most definitely not a lullaby nor G rated, but there is a PG version that plays on Top 40 stations every six minutes. Today I hope the beat guys get to defend why Brown Sugar was perfectly acceptable today.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 43m
Looks like McMillan getting first snap at safety, MD Jennings usually took it yesterday.

>>POSSIBLY BURIED MCMILLAN PREMATURELY YESTERDAY AS THEY MIGHT ACTUALLY BE IN A TRUE ROTATION WITH THE 1s.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 46m
Defense is working on defending the read option and the pistol during their walkthrough this morning. College coaches say its a must in camp

>>REPORTS OF CAPERS DEMENTIA POSSIBLY EXAGGERATED.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 57m
#Packers non-participants: Harris, Richardson, Hayward, House, Powell, Lattimore,Tretter, Sherrod, Neal, Worthy and don't see Sed Cunningham

>>STILL NO IDEA WHO POWELL IS AND NOW NEED TO REMEMBER TO LOOKUP CUNNINGHAM

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 38m
Had a couple drops in OTAs but Brandon Bostick catching everything his way. Has added weight, confused with Finley yesterday

>>STILL MAD THE TUNA STOLE THAT OTHER TE PROSPECT OFF TT'S HANDS WHILE HE WAS IN MIAMI. BOSTICK CONFUSED WITH FINLEY BECAUSE GOOD SIZED GAL ASKED BB TO SIGN A LARGE, MOUNTED MUSKIE AFTER PRACTICE

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 39m
Jarrett Boykin also showing no effects from that lower body injury from OTAs

>>WESHOD HAS SPENT TOO MUCH TIME COVERING HOCKEY. INJURY - EXTREMITY, PROGNOSIS - PROBABLE TO SURVIVE

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 39m
No change at right tackle, where Marshall Newhouse continues to line up with No. 1 unit. #Packers

>>FREE DERRICK SHERROD!!!

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 29m
Just one drop during JUGS tight end catch drill, and that was Finley. #Packers

>>NOW MUST PLAY BING CROSBY SONG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ld7pkvZPQk)

pbmax
07-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 25m
Bush nickel CB with Hayward n House out, but Hyde had good day yesterday in that role

>>HOPE FRIENDS ARE WITH RED WHEN HE READS THIS

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 24m
Johnny Jolly working inside with Datone Jones in nickel.

>>THIS HAS TO BE RUNAWAY OPTIMISM OR A RUN DEFENSE BECAUSE JOLLY IS NOT A PASS RUSHER

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 23m
Charles Johnson goes down. Getting checked out by the training staff right now. Doesn't look good.

>>I'M SURE IT WILL BE JUST A FEW WEEKS

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 24m
Rookie WR Charles Johnson is down and being attended to. Left leg got caught underneath him on slant pass.

>>DID HE INJURE HIMSELF OR DID SOMEONE LAND ON HIM IN SHELLS!?

Johnson walks off on his own power.

>>STORY TIME. OLD EAGLES LINEBACKER BILL BERGY WAS INJURED IN A GAME AND THEY QUOTED HIS WIFE IN A LATER STORY SAYING SHE WAS HAPPY TO SEE HIM ABLE TO WALK OFF UNDER HIS OWN POWER, BUT THEN REMEMBERED AN OLDER LB WHO PLAYED WITH BILL. THAT GUY DID THE SAME THING AND THEN NEVER PLAYED AGAIN. THIS WAS BACK WHEN LEECH TECHNOLOGY WAS NOT AS ADVANCED AS IT IS TODAY IN THE TREATMENT OF KNEE INJURIES. TURNS OUT BERGY'S KNEE WOULD HEAL FINE EXCEPT HE HAD A STAPH INFECTION SET IN AND COST HIM A YEAR I THINK. POINT OF STORY, WALKING OFF THE FIELD DOESN'T MEAN A DAMN THING.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 25m
Randall Cobb first up on punt returns. Ross No. 2.

>>I DON'T LIKE THIS CAMP YET. ONLY GOOD NEWS IS JONES AND MUSIC THAT UPSETS THE CHATTERING HENS OF SPORTS MEDIA

pbmax
07-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 25m
Johnathan Franklin returning punts, along with Ross, Nelson, Cobb and Tramon Williams.

>>OK, THAT SOUNDS SLIGHTLY PROMISING

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 20m
Franklin looks a little shaky catching punts, not unlike Sam Shields from a couple years ago. #packerscamp

>>OR NOT

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 18m
Just starting 15 minute (which is long) fundamentals period, each position group on its own

>>REMEMBER WHEN MEDIA WAS CONVINCED THE WORLD WAS ENDING WHEN MCCARTHY DID NOT SPEND AS MUCH TIME IN INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION AS MIKE SHERMAN?

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 7m
As pointed out to me by a seasoned observer, Don Barclay looks like he made big gains in the weight room. Even in shells he looks bigger

>>MANDARICH MUST BE AT PRACTICE

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 6m
CJ Wilson is still ahead of Datone Jones at DE. Jones is working a lot in nickel. But he does get DE reps.

>>WHICH SIDE TOM!

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 26s
Just watching Mike Neal walk around, he looks 35 pounds lighter as he claimed yesterday. He hopes it helps w his pass rush.

>>WHAT KIND OF ILLEGAL DRUG DOES WEIGHTWATCHERS SELL UNDER THE TABLE FOR THIS?

pbmax
07-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 2m
TV Timeout #NP Pearl Jam - Evenflow

>>ALMOST IN SILVERSTEIN'S WHEELHOUSE

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1m
McMillian first snap at safety. Starks first carry with ones

>>BREAKING: STARKS STILL HEALTHY AND ON ROSTER. MCMILLAN NOT DISAPPOINTING ME YET.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 1m
Palmer, mulumba getting first team reps at OLB in team run drill

>>SPOON SAYS PALMER IN #51 REMINDS HIM OF BRIAN WILLIAMS. FAILS TO SPECIFY IF ITS THE NUMBER OR THE PLAY.

Don Barclay in at RT with ones.
And now Barclay at center for Harrell with first team line

>>GVR HAS COME COMPETITION AT CENTER. ALSO, BARCLAY A MORTAL LOCK TO MAKE ROSTER.

pbmax
07-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 31s
Hyde no. 1 nickel last snap

>>AFTER HE PASSES, THE COWBOYS WILL CONDUCT SEANCES WITH THE SPIRIT OF TT TO HELP THEM DRAFT CORNERBACKS

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1m
Eddie Lacy with nice explosion around the corner on a run. Standing next to @robreischel and we both said "Wow" at same time.

>>FINALLY, GOOD NEWS

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 1m
Nice blitz from Terrell Manning up the middle. Looked like he was shot out of a cannon.

>>TWO IN A ROW

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 40s
Johnathan Franklin steps over Don Barclay for a nice move. Not good that Barclay was on the ground.

>>I'D CALL THAT MIXED

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 37s
Rookie backs with a pair of explosive runs in this drill. Franklin is small enough to hide behind linemen, a lot like Harris.

>>HEAL QUICKLY DAJUAN OR THE ONLY PLAYING TIME YOU WILL SEE IS ON SNAKE'S MADDEN GAME

pbmax
07-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 29s
Coleman looking sharper than Harrell today. Rolls out for completion to Nelson, then finds Myles White for 20-25 yards up right sideline.

>>COLEMAN DID MISFIRE EARLIER, BUT HARRELL THREW THE BALL BEHIND JOHNSON WHEN HE WAS INJURED

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 32s
WR Charles Johnson, injured earlier, emerges from Hutson Center walking on his own.

>>AND ...?

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 36s
Harrell fires a bullet to Ross in coverage. A lot on that one

>>NOT DONE YET. SEVERAL PEOPLE HAVE MENTIONED HARRELL ARM STRENGTH HAS IMPROVED, BUT NOT YET AT RODGERS LEVEL AND NOT THE CANNON COLEMAN HAS

Rookie WR Charles Johnson, who went down earlier and left practice, is back out here and has his helmet. Yet to do anything, but good news.

>>PHEW

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 57s
Josh Boyd wraps up Franklin for no gain. Quick for his size. Time to get the pads on, though.

>>NICE TO HEAR

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 58s
I still think James Starks would be a really good player if he was ever healthy. And I understand that's a big if. But, talented. #Packers

>>YES, EVERYONE HAS BEEN SAYING THAT SINCE THE 49ERS GAME IN THE SUPER BOWL YEAR

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 36s
Alex Green with his best run of camp. Made two quick cuts in the hole and got to the edge for a big gain. Didn't see that last year.

>>MCCARTHY MIGHT PROVE TO BE CORRECT THIS YEAR

pbmax
07-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 2m
And he fumbles the exchange again. I couldn't see who the center was.

>>THAT'S TWO FUMBLED EXCHANGES FOR RODGERS. NEW CENTERS? EDIT: IT WAS BARCLAY.

Rodgers and Barclay out after two fumbled exchanges. Harrell and EDS in

>>QB CONTROVERSY. TIME TO BRING IN TEBOW. HIS FUNDAMENTALS ARE FLAWLESS UNTIL HE WINDS UP

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 2m
Undrafted rookie OLB Andy Mulumba with a nice drop and breakup of pass to Taylor. Kid worth watching. #Packers

>>OLB DEPTH NO LONGER TUMBLEWEEDS AND ZOMBO

One guy who has caught everything today is Ill. St. WR Tyrone Walker. He has really nice hands.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 2m
Angelo Pease showing some burst on catch out of backfield. He faces long odds with so many RBs ahead of him on depth chart.

>>SOMEONE HAS TO STEP UP AND BECOME EVERYONE'S FAVORITE UDFA/LOW ROUNDER WITH IMPOSSIBLE ODDS OF MAKING ROSTER. WHO WILL IT BE?

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 2m
TV Timeout #NP Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire

YOU BET (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRlj5vjp3Ko)

pbmax
07-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3m
By the way, Charles Johnson is back. Not participating but he's walking around. pic.twitter.com/0jO3yC5Aut

>>STILL COULD BE ANYTHING FROM TWEAK TO END OF SEASON

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 6m
Jennings with first team defense in 7 on 7

>>MCCARTHY JUST MESSING WITH US NOW

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 5m
@TyDunne Dynamic around the edge, good pop off blocks. Surprising speed for size. Not a dominant guy, but a good rotational under tackle.

>>SCOUTING REPORT FROM SENIOR BOWL

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 4m
WR Kevin Dorsey has his helmet on but he hasn't taken any reps since pulling up.

>>TWEAKED SOMETHING ON ROUTE AND CATCH EARLIER

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 27s
Myles White makes a play in 7 on 7. Leaping grab up up left sideline.
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 4m
Without Cunningham and seventh rounders #Packers down to eight WR in practice. White and Walker continue to have their moments

>>UNREAL

Maxie the Taxi
07-27-2013, 10:35 AM
All this news and commentary but no mention yet of "tackling." Maybe that's part of the "fundamentals" drill. I sure hope so. Maybe Dave Robinson's right and no one on the coaching staff knows how to teach tackling technique.

pbmax
07-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 27s
Franklin handling all punt returns from jugs machine during special teams period.

>>STILL ROOTING FOR ROSS

In team n 7 on 7 Randall Cobb has Ben wide open on catches, getting serious separation

>>HAVING TWO CBS ON SIDELINE MIGHT BE A FACTOR

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1m
Clay Matthews showing Mike Neal some pass rush moves on the sideline.

>>CLAY SHOULD ASK FOR COACHING PAY AS WELL WITH NEAL AND PERRY

And the final TV timeout tune for #Packers is Jammin' by Bob Marley. Is this on McCarthy's iPad?

>>AOR RADIO DJS HAVE TAKEN OVER AT PACKER CAMP

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 5m
No huddle drill now.

>>ITS BACK, WITH FEWER RECEIVERS AND FEWER DBS TO RUN IT

Starks the No. 1 back today.

>>AT THIS POINT (EARLY), ONE OF THE VET BACKS LOOKS CERTAIN TO GET ENOUGH REPS TO LOCK DOWN JOB. OTHER MIGHT WELL BE TRADE BAIT LATER IF HEALTH HOLDS.

Burnett goes over Cobb for a breakup, but PI called, leading to a lot of groans from the defense.

Rodgers gets sacked by McMillian.

Tramon Williams nice breakup of Rodgers pass to Jordy Nelson.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 53s
Don Barclay took the snaps at center with the offense that final drive. Had the two botched exchanges earlier.

pbmax
07-27-2013, 10:50 AM
All this news and commentary but no mention yet of "tackling." Maybe that's part of the "fundamentals" drill. I sure hope so. Maybe Dave Robinson's right and no one on the coaching staff knows how to teach tackling technique.

No pads until tomorrow. Padded practices are limited by CBA.

Fundamental work is probably better termed individual or position work. M3 hinted this would be a focus this camp.

pbmax
07-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 50s
#Packers practice ends with Boykin TD but thought Mulumba would have had sack. Mulumba intriguing prospect at olb.

>>HIS SECOND MENTION

McCarthy Post Practice Press Conference

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1m
No final report on injured #Packers WRs Charles Johnson or Kevin Dorsey.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1m
McCarthy: Practice sloppier than yesterday. ...Good work in no huddle. Looking forward to fundamental work.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 43s
Barclay/Rodgers snap issues: "That's the hardest footwork (Barclay) has from an assignment standpoint." Irritated with his play selection.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 51s
MM: We think Barclay is heck of football player. He's earned opportunty to compete for starting spots. Never have enough centers.

>>I AM PRETTY SURE YOU CAN HAVE ENOUGH CENTERS

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 50s
McCarthy on Starks: James doing better in pass pro, checkdown area. Very natural plays yesterday/today when timing was right.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 44s
McCarthy on Jolly: Johnny's in better shape today than he was in OTAs. Still has work to do. Being smart with Jolly. Have to be realistic.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 22s
MM: Jolly is off to good start.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 11s
MM on Alex Green: sees him running with more confidence with knee. Had "excellent" first day. "Looks like he's back running w/confidence."

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 9s
McCarthy: Green's issue has been volume. ...Something he struggled with last year with the knee injury.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 17s
Tyrone Walker, who had three catches in four-play span ... muted praise from MM. Pads go on tomorrow, for Walker and everyone else.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 58s
MM: Training camp is about padded practice. Looking forward to that.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 38s
MM: Place-kicking competition will take place every other day. Reps will be higher.

The musical selections are a "delegated responsibility," McCarthy says. Music sounded more up his alley today, however.

>>CAN'T SEE M3 DIGGING BOB MARLEY, BUT HE WAS RAISED IN THE 70S

pbmax
07-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 39s
More from McCarthy on tomorrow's practice: “We have three hours to be on the field tomorrow. We’re going to max it out.” #Packers

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 52s
Johnathan Franklin on punt returns: Everyone must have confidence he can field ball and make good decisions. Then play within scheme.

red
07-27-2013, 11:31 AM

if thats part of the "fundamentals" training, then they need to spend a whole hell of a lot more then just 15 minutes on it

Pugger
07-27-2013, 12:57 PM

Weren't they in shells today and tomorrow will be the first practice in pads?

red
07-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Weren't they in shells today and tomorrow will be the first practice in pads?

i would be fine with the whole team sitting on the ground around a tv monitor watching a 30 minute video called "introduction to tackling for beginners"

or an hour long instructional video called "how not to let that splinter in you pinkie end your season"

bobblehead
07-27-2013, 07:21 PM
so M3 seems happy with how well sherrod is progressing and looked today. hmmm

wasn't it mentioned earlier in the day that he isn't doing any of the drills, he's just jogging with his teamates from drill to drill?

hell, i can do that....

while drunk

m3 might be optimistic, but its been over 20 months since the injury, and he still can't practice . times running out on the kid, and he's just missed so damn much learning time

Foolishly I am going to repeat my Justin Harrel line.

The man is physically HUGE and gifted. He slides so naturally. Guys like him get extra time and chances.

bobblehead
07-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 25m
Bush nickel CB with Hayward n House out, but Hyde had good day yesterday in that role

>>HOPE FRIENDS ARE WITH RED WHEN HE READS THIS

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 24m
Johnny Jolly working inside with Datone Jones in nickel.

>>THIS HAS TO BE RUNAWAY OPTIMISM OR A RUN DEFENSE BECAUSE JOLLY IS NOT A PASS RUSHER

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 23m
Charles Johnson goes down. Getting checked out by the training staff right now. Doesn't look good.

>>I'M SURE IT WILL BE JUST A FEW WEEKS

Rookie WR Charles Johnson is down and being attended to. Left leg got caught underneath him on slant pass.

>>DID HE INJURE HIMSELF OR DID SOMEONE LAND ON HIM IN SHELLS!?

Johnson walks off on his own power.

>>STORY TIME. OLD EAGLES LINEBACKER BILL BERGY WAS INJURED IN A GAME AND THEY QUOTED HIS WIFE IN A LATER STORY SAYING SHE WAS HAPPY TO SEE HIM ABLE TO WALK OFF UNDER HIS OWN POWER, BUT THEN REMEMBERED AN OLDER LB WHO PLAYED WITH BILL. THAT GUY DID THE SAME THING AND THEN NEVER PLAYED AGAIN. THIS WAS BACK WHEN LEECH TECHNOLOGY WAS NOT AS ADVANCED AS IT IS TODAY IN THE TREATMENT OF KNEE INJURIES. TURNS OUT BERGY'S KNEE WOULD HEAL FINE EXCEPT HE HAD A STAPH INFECTION SET IN AND COST HIM A YEAR I THINK. POINT OF STORY, WALKING OFF THE FIELD DOESN'T MEAN A DAMN THING.

Randall Cobb first up on punt returns. Ross No. 2.

>>I DON'T LIKE THIS CAMP YET. ONLY GOOD NEWS IS JONES AND MUSIC THAT UPSETS THE CHATTERING HENS OF SPORTS MEDIA

I knew when rbaloha was pimping Johnson something bad would happen to him.

red
07-27-2013, 07:30 PM
and to me this is starting to feel like the harrel pick

the only difference is, i really hated the harrel pick, and i really loved the sherrod pick

like harrel, we might not ever see if the guy has what it takes or not

Joemailman
07-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Tyler Dunne @TyDunne
No major changes to those out: Sherrod, Neal, Cunningham, Dorsey, Johnson, Harris, Worthy, Richardson, House, Powell, Hayward, Tretter.

Fritz
07-28-2013, 09:56 AM
I wonder how severe Dorsey's strained hammy is.

Most of the talk here is about Johnson, but Dorsey has similar size and speed. Why aren't we yapping him up as much?

pbmax
07-28-2013, 10:07 AM
I wonder how severe Dorsey's strained hammy is.

Most of the talk here is about Johnson, but Dorsey has similar size and speed. Why aren't we yapping him up as much?

Johnson had a lot of production. Dorsey was hurt by the QB situation and new offense at Maryland I think.

Fritz
07-28-2013, 10:11 AM
But given those circumstances, he would seem equally intriguing. Size and speed.

I don't know about his hands, though. I have read Johnson catches the ball well.

One of these guys, if healthy, will make this team, I think. Maybe Boykin is in for the fight of his life.

I would like to see them find a place for Jeremy Ross as a return guy. I wasn't impressed with Cobb's returns by the end of the year - too much east-west hocus pocus. Ross can get it up the field.

Maxie the Taxi
07-28-2013, 10:16 AM
TwitterTyler Dunne @TyDunne
Undrafted rookie Alex Gillett, a former QB at Eastern Michigan, runs a nice route here on Loyce Means.

Heh heh

red
07-28-2013, 10:19 AM
COME ON PB, make with the training camp notes for today already

and no, i don't care that they haven't started yet

pbmax
07-28-2013, 10:25 AM
COME ON PB, make with the training camp notes for today already

and no, i don't care that they haven't started yet

Just checking in today. Have other things going on. If no one else does it, might do it tonight.

Joemailman
07-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 41s
Micah Hyde taking his place.

He's on one knee and smiling but not with the No. 1s.

Tramon Williams on the sideline. Can't tell if he's hurt but he's not taking reps.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 3m
TV timeout. Metallica

Tap me if you've heard this before. jarret bush got beat deep by Myles White.
Jerron McMillian just dropped a sure interception. Nice play bad hands.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 8m
Someone drilled Franklin a little harder than necessary and it created a big skirmish. Maybe the O should actually block for him.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 9m
Starks continues to be one of the most impressive guys in camp.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 10m
Cobb got run over from behind by Alex Green while blocking. He's ok.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 11m
Brad jones is the dime linebacker just like last year. Hawk is off the field.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 14m
Lattimore was the injured guy. Karma is a you know what.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 15m
Starks looked really good on a check down over the middle. Nice catch and run.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 17m
Jamari Lattimore just blew up Alex Green and then let the offensive sideline know about it.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 19m
Eddie Lacy just went down on an arm tackle by Jordan Miller. Bad.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 19m
Johnathan Franklin showing nice feet in breaking tackle in the middle and breaking outside.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 20m
BJ Coleman nice throw on the run to Jeremy Ross, who made a nice catch.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 22m
Nate Palmer a nice move to sack Harrell.

Rodgers underthrows Cobb on long crossing route.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 26m
Starks sidesteps Matthews for a nice gain. Good job of following his block.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 27m
Alex Green big cutback hole for 20 yard gain.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 27m
TV timeout. U2?

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 28m
Starks said he's not going to be stupid about refusing to go down and absorbing unnecessary punishment.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 29m
Jolly just hit Starks who wouldn't go down, but he gathered himself and threw Starks down.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 31m
Jordan Miller beat his guy and pounded Eddie Lacy.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 31m
We know a rookie fullback can't block Datone Jones. Amosa got his RB smashed by Jones.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 33m
Newhouse blocked down on Jolly and buried him.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 34m
Inside run drill now. Desman Moses just jacked up a tight end.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 35m
First shoving match: Raji vs. Van Roten.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 36m
If ever gets hot around here again these guys' bodies are going to be in for a shock.

Linebackers and tight ends are going after it one on one. Nick Perry just drove Ryan Taylor back.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 51m
It's clear Jolly still knows how to play the position. It's just a matter of seeing if his body still has life in it.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 53m
Mike Trgovac working over his rookies, Jones, Pena and Boyd. Telling his vets to give them everything in one on one drill.

Lloyce Means up on KOR. this guy can fly.

Eddie Lacy is working as the fullback in place of Kuhn now on kickoffs. Johnathan Franklin was the returner.

James Nixon muffed his first KOR attempt.

Cobb was No. 2 Shields is No. 3. Return unit is all veterans. No rookies. That will change.

Kickoff return Jeremy Ross up first.

Franklin gets hit by Lloyce Means and coughs up short pass. Good hit.

First play, James Jones leaps over Sam Shields on a fade for a long catch.

Ok, now some team action.

Fun to watch the D-line do interception drill. They'd tuck the ball away if they could but there's nowhere to tuck it.

Mostly non-contact right now. Not much going on.

First day of pads: can't wait to lay out Dunne across the middle.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 11h
New from JS: Camp report: Saturday at a glance http://bit.ly/16oC5vj
Expand
New from JS: James Starks resolves to stay healthy http://bit.ly/1c17JFu
Expand
New from JS: Three receivers go down as injuries plague Packers http://bit.ly/16oC7DF
Expand
New from JS: Mike McCarthy hopes time for bonding will cement team http://bit.ly/1bwwg61
Expand
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 12h
New from JS: Packers specialists at a glance http://bit.ly/1bwlPQ0
View summary
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 12h
New from JS: No veteran replacement in sight for Mason Crosby http://bit.ly/16ooMv1
Expand
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 14h
#Packers WR Charles Johnson suffered an IT band strain and will be fine. There's a good chance he'll practice Sunday, according to a source.
Expand
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 18h

Maxie the Taxi
07-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Tyler Dunne @TyDunne
Andy Mulumba stuffs Cobb on a quick pitch out of the backfield, prompting Kevin Greene to break out in dance.

red
07-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Tap me if you've heard this before. jarret bush got beat deep by Myles White.

mmmmhmmm

red
07-28-2013, 10:48 AM
thanks for the updates joe

COME ON JOLLY!!!! you can do it big guy

Pugger
07-28-2013, 11:52 AM
I'd like to know when Lacy got stuffed was he behind the starting O linemen or backups. I hope to get to a practice before I return to FL in a couple of weeks.

Joemailman
07-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Tyler Dunne @TyDunne
Andy Mulumba stuffs Cobb on a quick pitch out of the backfield, prompting Kevin Greene to break out in dance.

My candidate for The UDFA That Makes The Roster. What could be better than fans in the Dairy State chanting MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Joemailman
07-28-2013, 12:30 PM
10:37 AMTyler Dunne @TyDunne
Johnny Jolly and Andrew Datko get into it and another scrum breaks out.

This team needs Jolly. I mean it. He brings a sense of nastiness they sometimes lack on defense.

Joemailman
07-28-2013, 12:49 PM
http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaws.com/65a6e03ef79911e2a65322000a1f935c_6.jpg

Maxie the Taxi
07-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Hey Joe, do you remember when a Packer defense guy was flagged for unnecessary roughness, MM called him on it and the defense guy said something like: "Hell, I'm not going to change. That's my style." That wasn't Jolly, was it?

BobDobbs
07-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz@WesHod
Give credit to Derek Sherrod. Hasn't practiced fully in a 1 1/2 years with the leg but never have I not seen him signing autographs at TC

Harshest damning with faint praise ever.

BobDobbs
07-28-2013, 03:36 PM
In other camp tweet news

Wes Hodkiewicz@WesHod
Lattimore moved inside after being a small OLB but has really added to his frame. Broke up pass to franklin
@jasonjwilde 3h
McCarthy says Lattimore had some "flash plays,"
@RobDemovsky
Lattimore with another big hit. This time on Alex Green in team run.
@TyDunne
Underthrown ball by Coleman batted away by Rob Francois. t.co
Maybe there is some competition at ILB?

Rob Demovsky@RobDemovsky
Nice example of Franklin's quickness when he bounced an inside run to the outside and got something out of nothing.
@MikeVandermause
Franklin making some nice cuts in traffic.
@MikeVandermause
Franklin makes a couple nice runs in no huddle.
He's making some noise at least on the Twitter Feed today

@TomSilverstein
Starks continues to be one of the most impressive guys in camp.
And Starks too

@RobDemovsky
2 hour, 27 min practice ends with @BoyKinHeCatch hauling in a 10 yard fade from Rodgers for a TD. Before that, two big 3rd down conversions
Go Boykin, let 'em know

Wes Hodkiewicz@WesHod
Crosby with a little more leg than Tavecchio on KO but Masthay has plenty of leg too
Could Masthay take over KO duties?

@MikeVandermauseJames Nixon picks off Rodgers, who looks stunned
@MikeVandermause
Lloyce Means with nice breakup on pass to Cobb.
@TomSilverstein
Franklin gets hit by Lloyce Means and coughs up short pass. Good hit.
We may have some real depth at CB

Pete Dougherty@PeteDougherty
Datone jones' first 1on1 pass rush period pretty good.,didn't beat lang first rep but got good push, later smoked gerhart n beat Datko
@WesHod
Only one padded practice but Datone Jones has been impactful today
Straight Outta Compton

Wes Hodkiewicz@WesHod
Datone Jones swims right by Datko at LG and LT on eventual pass to Cobb
And lastly Datko still sucks... or maybe they shouldn't have one guy play two positions. Sounds difficult.

Joemailman
07-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz@WesHod
And lastly Datko still sucks... or maybe they shouldn't have one guy play two positions. Sounds difficult.

Just trying to get the most out of the padded practices.

Actually, I'll cut Datko a little slack right now if he's struggling at LG. New position for him. He did get into a scrap with Jolly, so he's not backing down.

pbmax
07-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz@WesHod
Give credit to Derek Sherrod. Hasn't practiced fully in a 1 1/2 years with the leg but never have I not seen him signing autographs at TC

Harshest damning with faint praise ever.

I read it that way too. Depressing.

pbmax
07-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Pugger, here is a link to the Manning vs. Lacy in the hole.

https://vine.co/v/hATDYaM5ge6

RashanGary
07-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Glad to hear our first round pick is standing out early. We've had a couple projects in a row now. Nice to get an early feel that a guy has what it takes out of the gates.

pbmax
07-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Here is @WesHod Day 3 of Camp

Jamari Lattimore is back in pads after missing the first two days with an illness #Packers

Kevin Dorsey is also not in pads after coming up limp on a route yesterday #packers

#Packers non participants: Cunningham, Dorsey, Johnson, Harris, Richardson, Hayward, House, Powell, Tretter, Sherrod, Neal and Worthy

Jerron McMillian still taking first snaps at safety with ones

#Packers defensive linemen work on technique with coach MikeTrgovac vine.co/v/hATquA2DgVV

Jerel Worthy (torn ACL) watches on during d-line individual work #Packers pic.twitter.com/VvxkYnjYIu

Jennings with defense in first team period. Wilson with first team. Green in backfield

Per @jasonjwilde, Brandon Bostick leveled a defender after catch on second play of team period.

A lot of energy and big hits to start off first team padded practice

Lattimore moved inside after being a small OLB but has really added to his frame. Broke up pass to franklin

Barclay and Daniels back with posse in Returns. Cobb, Shields with first team as returners. Nixon, Franklin and Ross with twos

James Nixon with some nerves early on, dropping a kickoff return. That was his natural spot at Temple

Franklin with a good approach on kickoff and showed solid burst. See what they like about him

Nixon took almost all the kickoff return scout looks on practice squad last year. Catches second attempt but almost trips five steps in

Casey Hayward (hamstring) chats it up with a referee during fundamental drills pic.twitter.com/Q5fFOSy2Gf

QB 1 working on his check downs with his back field #packers pic.twitter.com/OobdmkQSRg

John Kuhn and Alex Green take passes from RB coach Alex Van Pelt while all time leading rusher Ahman Green ... vine.co/v/hAT6WzE6TAz

James Starks has looked good, healthy in camp thus far. Needs it to stay that way #Packers pic.twitter.com/KKn3oFMA0B

Datone Jones wrapping guys up right now. Very passionate play from both defensive and offensive lined

Terrell Manning getting inside to stuff Eddie Lacy vine.co/v/hATDYaM5ge6

Jordan Miller also in on that stop. TV timeout. #NP U2

Don Barclay said this routine of throwing towels on players heads during down time is similar to what they did at West Virginia

Cobb gets separation but drop off his chest. Needs to clean that part of his game up

Packers had more drops than any team but the Jaguars last year. Clean it up gents. RT @WesHod: Cobb gets separation but drops off his chest.

Lattimore having himself a day, them goes down. Manning and Barrington in with 3s

Lattimore back with helmet behind the ILBs. Doing small jumps

Walker catches next pass on slant after drop. Leads to scuffle btwn offense and defense as he finished play

In blitz period, Coleman showing some nice touch on pass to Myles White who got behind Jarrett Bush

TV timeout. Metallica ~ Enter Sandman #NP

Mike Daniels showing that natural explosion off the line, beating EDS and Lane Taylor in 1 on 1s

Crosby with a little more leg than Tavecchio on KO but Masthay has plenty of leg too

#NP Dave Matthews - Funny the way it is

Only one padded practice but Datone Jones has been impactful today

Rodgers hits pass to leaping Boykin over Nixon for the TD to end no huddle #packers

Joemailman
07-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Everybody say Awwwww. Nice fluff piece on Jolly. http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/story/Johnny-Jollys-weight-life-NFL-career-bac?blockID=924267&feedID=11347

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/common/medialib/306/803491.jpg

pbmax
07-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Glad to hear our first round pick is standing out early. We've had a couple projects in a row now. Nice to get an early feel that a guy has what it takes out of the gates.

From reading the practice accounts, DaJones, Starks and JaJones are having good camps.

Coleman over Harrell just from highlight notes.

Lacy and Franklin have a burst.

Ross is getting reps as #1 KOR but is down chart on punts.

pbmax
07-28-2013, 06:00 PM
@WesHod from McCarthy post practice comments

McCarthy at the podium: Thought adrenaline level was high and discipline level was very low. It was great to get competitive environment

MM on Dorsey, Johnson: No timeline on those guys. I'm told it's not a serious nature with either of them.

MM: Tramon Williams' knee was bothering him. Held him second half of practice

MM on thigh/knee pads: I'm sure it was different for this generation of players. It's definitely for the right reasons for player safety

MM: A padded practice for us we'll require both thigh and knee pads

MM: I didn't expect to go out today and it be great practice. That's why padded work is so important. Installation day

MM on Burnett: Safety position is very important. He's a key communicator back there. He's excellent in the box and open field.

MM: Jamari Lattimore had an illness lost weight, probably did too much. Had cramps later part of practice

MM: I thought Lacy and Franklin both carried the pads well. I thought Johnathan had a couple big runs and big plays. Off to good start

MM: Sherrod is getting better. I don't know how closely you watched Derek. He has his normal stride back. Now it's the football movements

MM: Hopefully it's the last hurdle for Sherrod

MM: Thought half-line drill for the first day was good. You have team run periods.

Outlands Tweets Back
@WesHod We liked Burnett coming out of GaTech..folks wondered why we had a 2nd rd grade on him..

MM: That's the balance you look for every year on (defensive aggressiveness). We were definitely on the high end today. We'll get it right

MM on Ahman Green: Serving the standard internship. He's working with Alex Van Pelt and running backs

MM on Jolly: It's critical. You can't get inline work at the place you work out at. You can't simulate that. That's where JJ thrived

MM: I think the footwork comes back to you in the spring. He was able to get that back. Having a relationshp with Trgo, not a new situation

pbmax
07-28-2013, 06:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQSD7hXCcAABbD2.jpg:large

RashanGary
07-28-2013, 06:07 PM
There is a lot of competition this camp. OL, DL, WR if the rookies make it back, RB, TE, CB, ILB, returners. . . . Should be a great camp.

pbmax
07-28-2013, 06:10 PM
More M3 from Wilde

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 7h
McCarthy says Lattimore had some "flash plays," which he did. Started to have cramps, was on rep count coming back from being ill.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 7h
McCarthy: "I thought Datone looked very good, very comfortable. He's in good shape."

Ahmna Green is officially a coaching intern this camp. Working with RBs surprisingly.

red
07-28-2013, 06:12 PM

amen

Pugger
07-29-2013, 01:18 PM
http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaws.com/65a6e03ef79911e2a65322000a1f935c_6.jpg

This photo is adorable. :-)

Pugger
07-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Pugger, here is a link to the Manning vs. Lacy in the hole.

https://vine.co/v/hATDYaM5ge6

You hate to see Lacy hit in the hole like that but you gotta like Manning getting in there.

ThunderDan
07-29-2013, 02:31 PM
You hate to see Lacy hit in the hole like that but you gotta like Manning getting in there.

If there is one positive from the play Lacy fell forward for what looks to be a gain of 2 yards.

Joemailman
07-29-2013, 04:05 PM

This photo is adorable. :-)

The one in the middle is my favorite. She's ready to go!

mission
07-29-2013, 07:32 PM
If there is one positive from the play Lacy fell forward for what looks to be a gain of 2 yards.

Was just gonna say... Lacy won that battle and got the first down if that was a 3rd and 1.

Joemailman
07-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Trick of the camera, or is Lacy overweight?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQXlLE9CAAErhJX.jpg:large

packer4life
07-30-2013, 12:49 AM
Wow. Looks like the 2nd coming of LenWhale White in that pic on the right.

Trick of the camera, or is Lacy overweight?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQXlLE9CAAErhJX.jpg:large

Pugger
07-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Whoever decided it was okay to post that photo of Lacy on the Packers' website ought to be fired. Now folks are calling him fat. Sheesh...

hoosier
07-30-2013, 08:11 AM
Google "Eddie Lacy fat". There is now an online cottage industry devoted to debating what happened with the photo on the right. And plenty of photographic evidence of a leaner, meaner Lacy.

pbmax
07-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Someone had his weight up from 231 to 238 sometime this offseason.

pbmax
07-30-2013, 08:45 AM
DE Datone Jones running with the 1s in first drill with Raji and Pickett.

Man, have I got a streak of being wrong going on. :lol:

pbmax
07-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 23m
Still out: WR Cunningham, WR Dorsey, WR Johnson, RB Harris, CB Hayward, S Richardson, T Tretter, T Sherrod, DL Meal, DL Worthy

Unless I missed it, House if practicing. Tramontana has a knee and is not practicing today.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 27m
CB House n CB Powell practicing for first time in camp

Fritz
07-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 23m
Still out: WR Cunningham, WR Dorsey, WR Johnson, RB Harris, CB Hayward, S Richardson, T Tretter, T Sherrod, DL Meal, DL Worthy

Unless I missed it, House if practicing. Tramontana has a knee and is not practicing today.

I don't know about all y'all, but the competition at running back, offensive line (right tackle and backups), defensive line, and cornerback seems mighty fierce this year.

Since it's training camp, I'm going to drink the koolaid and say this seems to be a spirited camp, moreso than in past years.

I am wondering, with the logjam at running back, if mebbe John Kuhn's position is in danger. And I wonder if the Pack will keep all five running backs and cut Kuhn and mebbe keep "only" three tight ends.

Tony Oday
07-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Kuhn is all but gone. He really is NOT that good. Tramontana better stay on the field or he is in at least a little danger because of his contract.

Tony Oday
07-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Kuhn is all but gone. He really is NOT that good. Tramontana better stay on the field or he is in at least a little danger because of his contract.

I take Tramonta thing back, we can't allow the Vikings to get a starting CB this year.

Fritz
07-30-2013, 09:07 AM
I too am wondering about Kuhn. Isn't he getting replaced in some key special teams positions? I know the coaches would say it's for diversity and all - cross training - but still, I think he's got reason to be worried.

And if I were Alex Green, I would be polishing my lead-blocking and QB-protection-blocking skills, as well as ST skills. If he can prove to the coaches he can consistently perform those duties, he might be able to replace Kuhn. I mention Green because he has the size and hands to replace Kuhn as a blocker, while Starks, I think, is not the greatest blocker or pass catcher.

All these good RB's - well, we hope they are good, and healthy - would seem to affect the TE position. I'd say DJ Williams and Ryan Taylor are in big danger.

Zool
07-30-2013, 10:17 AM
I too am wondering about Kuhn. Isn't he getting replaced in some key special teams positions? I know the coaches would say it's for diversity and all - cross training - but still, I think he's got reason to be worried.

And if I were Alex Green, I would be polishing my lead-blocking and QB-protection-blocking skills, as well as ST skills. If he can prove to the coaches he can consistently perform those duties, he might be able to replace Kuhn. I mention Green because he has the size and hands to replace Kuhn as a blocker, while Starks, I think, is not the greatest blocker or pass catcher.

All these good RB's - well, we hope they are good, and healthy - would seem to affect the TE position. I'd say DJ Williams and Ryan Taylor are in big danger.

Kuhn has been bad for 2 years now and he's not going to miraculously get better at 30. Time to get him off the books and eliminate the FB dive play from the playbook.

The media has been praising Stark's pass catching the last 2 days. Maybe he's figured out that you have to look the ball in?

pbmax
07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 29m
McMillian with nice pick. He has been making plays consistently in camp.

At this point, like FF, I am rooting for my predictions and hopes.

run pMc
07-30-2013, 10:51 AM
The commentary is priceless. :)

+1

NEED MOAR COMMENTAREH

Smidgeon
07-30-2013, 10:55 AM

I can see them keeping Finley, Quarless and one of Taylor, Mulligan or Bostick. If Williams doesn't show up in preseason games, he's gone. Three years of showing up in practices and not games isn't promising.

pbmax
07-30-2013, 11:00 AM
No mention of Bulaga on Twitter. but Bakhtiari is drawing raves for his work in both drill and team.

EDIT: Mostly drill work so far today

pbmax
07-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Barclay with botched shotgun snap. Gets pulled.

Starks impressive again in pads.

pbmax
07-30-2013, 11:03 AM
When they say versatile:

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 24m
In team, Datone Jones drops into coverage and breaks up pass across middle from Coleman to Starks. #Packers

Guiness
07-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Barclay with botched shotgun snap. Gets pulled.

Starks impressive again in pads.

I wonder how long that experiment will last? It doesn't seem to be going well.

wist43
07-30-2013, 12:07 PM
No mention of Bulaga on Twitter. but Bakhtiari is drawing raves for his work in both drill and team.

EDIT: Mostly drill work so far today

The Persian guy?? All 183 lbs of him??

It's camp - every guy on the practice field is only 1 NFL snap away from the HOF.

Tony Oday
07-30-2013, 12:40 PM

It's camp - every guy on the practice field is only 1 NFL snap away from the HOF.

Yes we know, The Packers are a terrible team, in a terrible town, with terrible fans and Hawk should be shot.

packer4life
07-30-2013, 12:42 PM

Read somewhere that out of all the backs coming out of college this year, Franklin stood out as the best pass blocker. I think he stands to replace Kuhn's 3rd down role and Kuhn will be jettisoned.

Assuming Kuhn is cut, we could keep 5 RBs and reduce the # of TEs on the roster. Only caveat to that is injuries. I assume the 5 RBs we currently have will not all be healthy enough to make this team by the end of the preseason. That is just the sad truth.

pbmax
07-30-2013, 12:46 PM

Maybe this will help you relax. Barclay has had about five bad snaps in two days. And Lang got put on his back by Jones.

pbmax
07-30-2013, 12:47 PM
I wonder how long that experiment will last? It doesn't seem to be going well.

Tretter was the backup plan unless you count Count Von Roten. Barclay is the backup backup plan.

pbmax
07-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Read somewhere that out of all the backs coming out of college this year, Franklin stood out as the best pass blocker. I think he stands to replace Kuhn's 3rd down role and Kuhn will be jettisoned.

Assuming Kuhn is cut, we could keep 5 RBs and reduce the # of TEs on the roster. Only caveat to that is injuries. I assume the 5 RBs we currently have will not all be healthy enough to make this team by the end of the preseason. That is just the sad truth.

M3 said all RBs got schooled by LBs today. Uniformly too high. Did not see much breakdown of individual matchups. Today though it was mostly starters versus backups in other drills.

Fritz
07-30-2013, 01:44 PM

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkpo6eyj8Yagw3rlCRkYubRjTUjQHN1 OxYuWWM2rEtpjedBcJH

run pMc
07-30-2013, 02:01 PM

I know people rag on Bahktiari's weight (or lack of it, esp. compared to guys like D.J Fluker), but keep in mind Matt Kalil was a sandwich over 300 at 6'7" when he was drafted last year and he was a solid LT, rookie or no. In fact, Kalil was sick at the end of the season and played between 280 & 290. I'm more concerned about whether Bahktiari is strong, quick & can block than what he weighs. He'll get bigger, stronger, etc. if he spends time in an NFL weight room.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/03/matt-kalil-lost-close-to-20-pounds-due-to-pneumonia-last-season/

That said, you're right -- it is camp...so I take everything with some salt.

Patler
07-30-2013, 02:03 PM

Yup, Ross is getting work as personal protector for the punter, which they said also gives a whole new look for coverage after because of his speed. I didn't realize that Ross is as solidly built as they are now describing him.

Lacy has lined up in the traditional FB spot a few times.

Franklin is supposed to be good in pass pro, and as a receiver out of the backfield. No reason to think Starks and Green can't learn to be.

They have used TE's extensively in traditional FB roles the last couple years.

I think Kuhn's days are numbered.

pittstang5
07-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Yes we know, The Packers are a terrible team, in a terrible town, with terrible fans and Hawk should be shot.

No, no, no.

As a self-proclaimed disciple of Wist (whether he knows it or not), I must set you straight. The Packers are not a terrible team, just the defense, mainly because of Capers silly schemes and his spray on hair-do.

Joemailman
07-30-2013, 04:16 PM
DE Datone Jones running with the 1s in first drill with Raji and Pickett.

Man, have I got a streak of being wrong going on. :lol:

That's okay. That's what training camp is for. Work all the bugs out now. By September 8 you'll be a lean, mean posting machine. :five:

red
07-30-2013, 05:17 PM
well, i'm happy to say that it looks like i might be wrong about that jones pick

really didn't like the pick at the time because i thought he was too small to be a 3-4 DE

but man, i know its only been 4 days of camp or so, but the guys sounds like a freaking beast on the field

pbmax
07-30-2013, 05:18 PM
That's okay. That's what training camp is for. Work all the bugs out now. By September 8 you'll be a lean, mean posting machine. :five:

I may need to negotiate a CBA with myself and get some time away from posting. The offseason schedule is brutal!

pbmax
07-30-2013, 05:27 PM
McMillan got a lot of praise on practice practice reports today. Lot of first team reps as well.

M3 said he spent a ton of time in Green Bay and really has the defense down pat.

Fritz
07-30-2013, 06:46 PM
McMillan got a lot of praise on practice practice reports today. Lot of first team reps as well.

M3 said he spent a ton of time in Green Bay and really has the defense down pat.

If that's the case, Mcmillan will be the starter.

Joemailman
07-30-2013, 07:07 PM
If Tramon is out, would this be the youngest secondary in the league?

Hayward - 23 years old
House - 24
Hyde - 22
Shields - 25

Burnett - 24
Jennings - 25
McMillian - 24

mission
07-30-2013, 08:25 PM
If that's the case, Mcmillan will be the starter.

No doubt. Clearly the most talented of the other safeties, just didn't play with much confidence last year.

Iron Mike
07-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Wow. Looks like the 2nd coming of LenWhale White in that pic on the right.

He looks fine to me:

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/RB_Eddie_Lacy_has_a_great_day_talks_conditioning/9f887839-e9cb-4847-8534-7cce39560ce3

Joemailman
07-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Cameras are funny things

http://espnwisconsin.com/media/Lacyfat.jpg

Guiness
07-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Cameras are funny things

That's crazy, isn't it? Both of those pictures look off to me, in the LH picture he looks like Natrone Means, in the RH onee he's standing on toothpicks.

red
07-30-2013, 09:53 PM
i don't care that he looks fat in a couple of pictures.

the thing that pisses me off the most is every time i see i picture of him i think i'm seeing t-buck in green and gold again

sends chills down my spine

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Cards/Football/8387/8387-18Fr.jpg

Bretsky
07-30-2013, 10:53 PM
well, i'm happy to say that it looks like i might be wrong about that jones pick

really didn't like the pick at the time because i thought he was too small to be a 3-4 DE

but man, i know its only been 4 days of camp or so, but the guys sounds like a freaking beast on the field

DUDE.....Jones was the perfect FIT for our D and I felt that from day one

I am seriously concerned about last year's pick being a bad fith though

We've had WAY too many f'ck ups in round one

It sounds like was got one right....which hasn't seemed to happen in a while

NewsBruin
07-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Maybe that's why the players protested against knee and thigh pads. They didn't want to ruin their model figures.

packer4life
07-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Cameras are funny things

I'll take the RB on the right. Thanks.

Zool
07-31-2013, 10:44 AM
DUDE.....Jones was the perfect FIT for our D and I felt that from day one

I am seriously concerned about last year's pick being a bad fith though

We've had WAY too many f'ck ups in round one

It sounds like was got one right....which hasn't seemed to happen in a while

Perry
Sherrod
Bulaga
Raji, Matthews
Harrell
Hawk
Rodgers

Maybe check out some other team's first rounders and see if they have a hit rate that high.

Guiness
07-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Perry
Sherrod
Bulaga
Raji, Matthews
Harrell
Hawk
Rodgers

Maybe check out some other team's first rounders and see if they have a hit rate that high.

Yup, not sure why a popular train of thought is that TT can't draft in the first.

From that, I'd look at 6 players, ignoring Sherrod and Perry for now. There is only one sure bust in Harrell, and one player we would like to have seen more out of in Hawk, but he's still with the team going into his 8th season. That is more than offset by two perennial pro-bowlers.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2013, 11:43 AM
I think Bretsky is confusing Ron Wolf with Ted Thompson. Wolf had his share of problems with first round picks. Of course, when you generally picking late in the first round, it's even more of a crapshoot.

red
07-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Cameras are funny things

heres a picture from yesterday. its an action pic, so he can't just be sitting there sucking in his gut

http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_MB_3186--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

he looks fine to me

gbgary
07-31-2013, 03:50 PM
really enjoying vandermause' and silverstein's live-tweets from camp. of the newbs datone jones, bachtari (sp), hyde, seen to be getting lots of positive comments. lacy too. no serious injuries thus far (knocking on wood).

Fritz
07-31-2013, 04:08 PM
really enjoying vandermause' and silverstein's live-tweets from camp. of the newbs datone jones, bachtari (sp), hyde, seen to be getting lots of positive comments. lacy too. no serious injuries thus far (knocking on wood).

Every training camp sensation needs a nickname. So, for right tackle David Bahktieri, I nominate this:

David Bahkteria.

Because his enthusiasm and blocking are infectious.

Joemailman
07-31-2013, 04:48 PM
heres a picture from yesterday. its an action pic, so he can't just be sitting there sucking in his gut

http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_MB_3186--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

he looks fine to me

I just saw some clips on ESPN of Lacy running the ball. To me he doesn't look as heavy as the infamous picture that started the furor, but he looks heavier than the pick that you posted. He's not Lendale White, but I'd say he's a little heavier than he was at Alabama. Not a big deal as long as he doesn't get any bigger.

Pugger
07-31-2013, 05:02 PM
I heard during camp this morning Datone tried to get a lick on Lacy but bounced off him and landed on his back! :shock: We haven't had a RB like that back there in a while.

TravisWilliams23
07-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Every training camp sensation needs a nickname. So, for right tackle David Bahktieri, I nominate this:

David Bahkteria.

Fritz, if he's infectious, how about Bacteria?

Joemailman
07-31-2013, 05:46 PM

David Bahkteria.

Fritz, if he's infectious, how about Bacteria?

I think that's what ol' Fritz was saying.

Guiness
07-31-2013, 06:54 PM
I think that's what ol' Fritz was saying.

That word that you say...I do not think it means what you think it means

bobblehead
07-31-2013, 08:20 PM
i don't care that he looks fat in a couple of pictures.

the thing that pisses me off the most is every time i see i picture of him i think i'm seeing t-buck in green and gold again

sends chills down my spine

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Cards/Football/8387/8387-18Fr.jpg

Well, fucking thank you for picking at that scab...got any lemon juice??

And don't worry about Datone. Always thought he looked explosive, as opposed to Perry who I think looks like he is running in quicksand.

Iron Mike
08-01-2013, 07:20 AM
http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/claybike.png

Pugger
08-01-2013, 08:39 AM

I just saw some clips on ESPN of Lacy running the ball. To me he doesn't look as heavy as the infamous picture that started the furor, but he looks heavier than the pick that you posted. He's not Lendale White, but I'd say he's a little heavier than he was at Alabama. Not a big deal as long as he doesn't get any bigger.

Who is the Einstein that posted that one photo of Lacy that made him look like Raji? :smack: If I were Eddie I wouldn't be very pleased and neither should WE be.

pbmax
08-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Okay, we are a day behind. But don't despair, we can just copy someone's Twitter feed. Two notes to open the show.

1. For Red: Bush is having a poor camp according to McGinn, getting toasted by WR Ross yesterday and some average play overall. Hyde, according to McGinn is pushing him hard.

2. Tribute to our Canadian posters: best video podcast on the internet also with the best opening for a video podcast (who cares if its the NBA?):

http://vimeo.com/9759126

3irty1
08-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Seems like Hyde could be a good find. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't displace Bush at this point as he's supposedly a good gunner himself and seems to also be useful on defense, particularly in the slot. His presence on the 53 could make for one good looking dime package.

Bak is possibly our only hope at an improved line this year. He's the only member of the OL that's really drawn much praise, consistently winning 1 on 1's. My guess is Datko to center was done to push EDS after Tretter's injury.

pbmax
08-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Wednesday's Practice by Ty Dunne

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 22h
Rodgers finds Ryan Taylor for a long gain in no huddle. That's all for today. McCarthy speaking soon.

Eddie Lacy starts at RB in final no huddle segment.

The Packers aren't allowing any video/photography during any 11 on 11 RT @AV__1 @AV__1: wheres the vine on this??!?!?1? sounds liike gold

Final play of this segment, Chris Banjo has a PD covering Bostick. In other news, miss the Banjo lure fishing commercials.

@SonOfAmbition Thanks Ed.

Step back for Coleman. Rolls right, forces bad throw to Finley and its picked off Morgan Burnett.

Lacy follows up with a 10-15 yard run up middle. Gets a head of steam, uses his weight.

Yikes. Eddie Lacy sends Datone Jones airborne with a lowered shoulder at the end of his run. On his back.

Jennings gets his turn with the starters at safety.

Two more team periods to go today. Packers doing special teams now.

Marshall Newhouse impressive in 1 on 1's. Has the edge at RT on Barclay. Meanwhile, Datko is off to a rough start and Sherrod is still out.

For those asking, the red light signaling quarterbacks to get rid of the ball in 7 on 7 is back.

Morgan Burnett pushing the limit in 7 on 7. Drops Stoneburner to turf on short pass.

Datone Jones nearly knocked Datko to ground right off the line. Destroyed him.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 23h
Linemen must hate Mike Daniels in this drill.
Morgan Burnett dives to break up a low pass by Harrell to Jones over middle. Packers want more plays around the ball by him.

Coleman to Brandon Bostick.... https://vine.co/v/hq5dqqw66xq

A look at B.J. Coleman in 7 on 7... https://vine.co/v/hq5wYlq7gew

Mike Daniels drives Lang straight back in 1 on 1's.

Music selections today during TV timeouts have been "Put on" and "Cruise." Not bad. Always could use some Jeezy. Right @BobMcGinn?

Rarely see guys in the secondary here jar ball out after the catch like Woodson/Tillman. Packers need some of that.

Rodgers to Boykin over the middle. Big gain. But then House punches the ball out to force a fumble after the catch.

And can't forget about Angelo Pease. Undrafted RB hesitates split second and bursts upfield for huge gain.

M.D. Jennings stuffs Lacy at the line during a team drill. McMillian still seeing first team snaps

Graham Harrell's best throw in a while. Play action to James Jones deep up right sideline. Burns rookie Micah Hyde by three strides.

During team drill, Rodgers hits Nelson on a deep post and Davon House punches the ball out of the wideout's hands.

Eddie Lacy uses the spin again, this time eluding Lattimore during run blocking drill.

Starting inside linebackers A.J. Hawk and Brad Jones.... https://vine.co/v/hq5qHKTe3LI

More of Shields with the corners... https://vine.co/v/hq5AMiwELzM

One of the early standouts at camp here, rookie Micah Hyde. Going to see more snaps with the injuries.... https://vine.co/v/hq5K9UWKVWZ

Sam Shields during the same drill, opposite direction. For more on him @TomSilverstein also wrote a story t... https://vine.co/v/hq5KvpUaMg1

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 31 Jul
Davon House practicing for second straight day. Says he's not 100% yet, recovering from food poisoning/ear ... https://vine.co/v/hq5K7TrVF7u

Rookie Datone Jones at the sled with Trgovac... https://vine.co/v/hq5mpAghtWz

Nobody is moving too fast on KOC, but can see why Hines is in camp. Adds to competition in return game. Long stride.

Franklin bobbles one of his returns.

@Aaron_Nagler @TundraVision They're here still. Imagine the alarm is used again for the QBs. pic.twitter.com/ex2hmM9G1u

Returning kicks for the #Packers: Jeremy Ross, Randall Cobb, Sam Shields, Johnathan Franklin, Omarius Hines.

@TundraVision WWE-like entrance for the GM maybe?

@ImJustAsh_ Elite company!

And with that, a look at Williams' competition at TE, Brandon Bostick... https://vine.co/v/hq5zqehuLQb

Receivers, backs, tight ends working on yards after the catch. Here is D.J. Williams... https://vine.co/v/hq5unwdXTeW

Ted Thompson here at practice... https://vine.co/v/hq5B9ZTvPeD

Randall Cobb tries a spin. Bennett asks afterward if he had two hands on it. Stays on them with that. https://vine.co/v/hq5BDmdelAB

Jordy Nelson during the same drill. Edgar Bennett vocal in this one... https://vine.co/v/hq5BbK7uuxA

A more applicable drill of Eddie Lacy running through a gauntlet... https://vine.co/v/hqil3JZipW1

Rookie Eddie Lacy on his turn catching a pass . Has decent hands... https://vine.co/v/hqil6pUjEmJ

Running backs catching the ball. Watch your camera angles everyone... https://vine.co/v/hqilaMlOKd2

Tight ends working at the jugs machine... https://vine.co/v/hqiLXAlYV60

@etronsman appreciate you listening.

Another practice, another segment of the scout team running the read option against the defense. Harrell doing his best Kaepernick.

At first glance, Dorsey, C. Johnson, Richardson, Hayward, T. Williams, Fulton, Palmer, Moses, Harris, Sherrod, Neal, Worthy all out.

pbmax
08-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Seems like Hyde could be a good find. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't displace Bush at this point as he's supposedly a good gunner himself and seems to also be useful on defense, particularly in the slot. His presence on the 53 could make for one good looking dime package.

Bak is possibly our only hope at an improved line this year. He's the only member of the OL that's really drawn much praise, consistently winning 1 on 1's. My guess is Datko to center was done to push EDS after Tretter's injury.

Was it Datko to center as well as Barclay?

pbmax
08-01-2013, 10:04 AM
McCarthy on Wednesday

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 30 Jul
McCarthy: Eddie Lacy definitely falls in category of a big back and big backs tend to fall forward. ..Coach all backs to do that.

*Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 30 Jul
McCarthy: Hyde has stood out. Good to have House back. ...Is in shape. Saw him a lot here this summer. Past inj in the spring.

McCarthy on 1-on-1's: Important to see young guys go against the older guys. See everyone stick their face in there.

MM: You have to win your 1-on-1's. Can't do enough of that stuff. Great video to watch, also gives you idea what football comes down to.

McCarthy on Mike Daniels: Has a lot more pop. Been here whole summer. Definitely healthier than he was. Stronger. Better understanding of D

McCarthy on Daniels: Playing difficult techniques for his body type. Off to a good start.

McCarthy on T. Williams: Not concerned. May be "a couple weeks." Have more information.

McCarthy: Williams' injury happened in practice. Not sure when.

McCarthy on blitz pick-up: OLBs clearly got best of RBs today. They were too high. Will be good tape to watch. Sure we'll do it again.

McCarthy on back-ups QBs: Can see it carry over. B.J. probably made biggest improvement carrying it over from classroom to the field.

McCarthy: Go to preseason football. Won't get clean looks starter gets. Have to play through that.

McCarthy on Lacy conditioning: Going through test, he was fine. If we had any concern about any of our guys, they wouldn't be on the field.

MM: Based on Don's performance last year, feel he earned opportunity to compete as starter. ...Have to make sure center pos. is set too

McCarthy on Jones on KO: He can run. Major match-up problem. Don't see that as primary role for Datone.

McCarthy on D. Jones: Needs to learn to finish better. Something we're working on right now. ...Normal with a lot of young guys.

McCarthy on Ross/Boykin: Both are definitely guys in 2nd year, you see improvement yr1 to yr2. See rel. with QB. Huge indicator w/timing.

McCarthy on McMillian: There's another guy who spent a lot of time here. Knows defense inside and out. Played a lot of snaps last year.

McCarthy: Excited about him. Also has big-play ability.

McCarthy on Shields: What I like about Sam is he has that edge to him. He can run with anybody. Much better player up in your face.

McCarthy on Shields: Rusty, expected. He'll be fine.

McCarthy says won't see DuJuan Harris back this week. Looking like 2 or 3 weeks. This after Harris promising he'd be back "very soon."

pbmax
08-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Thursday's Practice

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Johnny Jolly is practicing again. At first glance, Neal, Worthy, Richardson, Hayward, T. Williams, Palmer, Moses, Johnson, Dorsey out.

ONLY JOHNNY JOLLY AND DAVON HOUSE GET WELL. OF COURSE, EACH KEEPS GETTING HURT/IMPRISONED, SO THEY HAVE EXPERIENCE AT THIS

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
DuJuan Harris remains out for the Packers as well.

HARRIS IS TOUGH SPOT, MAYBE WORSE THAN TRAMON

#Packers non-participants: Cunningham, Dorsey, Johnson, Harris, Richardson, Hayward, Tramon, Palmer, Moses, Tretter, Sherrod, Neal, Worthy

JUST IN CASE DUNNE MISSED SOMEONE

Back at practice. We've got real NFL officials here today. They're making their annual practice appearance.

ON SECOND THOUGHT, LOCKOUT WAS PROBABLY PR MOVE BY VETERAN OFFICIALS

Returned S Fulton

FINALLY GOOD NEWS. WHO IS THIS GUY?

Still out: Cunningham, Dorsey, Johnson, Harris, Richardson, Hayward, Williams, Palmer, Moses, Tretter, Sherrod, Neal, Worthy

DOUGHERTY TWEETS LESS OFTEN, MAKES FEWER MISTAKES. GOOD FOR REPORTING, BAD FOR EMERGENCIES

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
And tackle Derek Sherrod remains sidelined. There's no timetable for him.

TWIST THE KNIFE IN SOME MORE TY. HOW MANY AUTOGRAPHS WAS HE GLAD TO SIGN?!

pbmax
08-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Offense running through some plays with no defense and shotgun snaps from back-up centers unpredictable. No clear No. 2 as MM noted.

BRONCOS WOULD TRADE A 2ND ROUND PICK FOR ONE OF OUR BAD CENTERS

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Early drill, Eddie Lacy working with ones. They've been rotating at RB.

STARKS IS BAC..... STAKRS WILL BE TRADED!!

NFL refs r here for couple days. They'll work family night, also brief team media in separate sessions on rules changes n points of emphasis

PLACE YOUR BETS, IS HOCULI FUN TO LISTEN TO OR DOES HE GET LAWYERLY?

#Packers offensive players work on their tackling form in case of a turnover https://vine.co/v/hqdBzUgepaT

I THINK MCCARTHY HAS WAY TOO MUCH TIME ANTICIPATING WORST CASE SCENARIOS. HOW 'BOUT JUST WORKING ON TACKLING?

Nick Perry, sporting his protector cast on his left wrist, works on tackling #packers https://vine.co/v/hqdBHFJ1ItE

EXCEPT FOR THE WRIST GUARD, WHICH IS HAUNTING MY DREAMS, THIS IS ENCOURAGING

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h
Team period: Still Marshall Newhouse at RT. Eddie Lacy gets first RB snap. McMillian first snap at safety. #Packers

IF MCMILAN STARTS AND PERRY PLAYS WELL, I CONSIDER MY OFFSEASON PREDICTION BUSINESS A SUCCESS (2/4)

pbmax
08-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Starks got popped by Banjo after catching a screen. That little guy is built.

BANJO. DOES SILVERSTEIN HAVE THE WORLD'S WORST AUTO CORRECT OR IS THIS AN ACTUAL PLAYER NAME?

Cobb up first on punt return.

FINE LINE BETWEEN BRAVERY AND UNEMPLOYMENT M3

Cobb, White, Hines and Walker back for punts. Ross and Boykin working as personal protector

MOVIE THIS BRINGS TO MIND: "BODYGUARD"

Myles White 2nd. Tyrone Walker third.

EVERY PACKER PUNT RETURNER'S NAME REMINDS ME OF ANOTHER PRO PLAYER (TYRONE WILLIAMS, REGGIE WHITE, MYLES AUSTIN, TYRONE DAVIS)

Masthay keeps coffining a number of punts inside 10. Bush tip toeing the goal line to keep one in at the 4

I WOULD REALLY ENJOY BRINGING BACK THE COFFIN CORNER KICK INSTEAD OF 52 YD FGS

ALSO COFFIN CORNER > AUSSIE STYLE

pbmax
08-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Some ruthless aggression and maturation have Mike Daniels positioned for a greater role on defense early in

I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE SOMEONE WHO IS PHYSICALLY BUILT FOR THE ROLE THEY ARE ASKED TO PLAY TO ACTUALLY SUCCEED, IMPROVE AND EXCEL (#WORTHY, #SHERROD, #PERRY, #MCMILLAN)

Andy Mulumba is raw but he anchors well against OTs trying to drive him out. Very strong.

HAS TO GET A NICKNAME SOON. HOW WOULD MULU SOUND INSIDE LAMBEAU?

Sherrod still out. Physically imposing dude on field. Tallest linemen with Andrew Datko

NEED TO GET OVER THIS NEED TO GET OVER THIS NEED TO GET OVER THIS NEED TO GET OVER THIS NEED TO GET OVER THIS

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
All press coverage for Packers CBs in one on ones with receivers.

OKAY. GOOD TO PRACTICE IT. PLEASE TELL ME THEY ARE ALSO INTRODUCING SHIELDS TO CONCEPT OF ZONE FOR SF?

Nelson nice comeback on house.

STOP PICKING ON THE BACTERIAL INFECTION GUY

Cobb jukes Hyde bad and drops the pass.

LOOKED AT WITH wist's EYES, THAT SEQUENCE MIGHT SUM UP RANDALL COBB'S CAREER

Nice bump on Ross by long-armed devin smith.

DEVIN SMITH? OH, HE MEANS BRANDON. OK, WHO IS BRANDON SMITH?

pbmax
08-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Datone Jones lining up outside showing his burst and strength against Andrew Datko https://vine.co/v/hqdOituHbZt

CAN YOU HAVE A HANDICAP SCORE ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE?

Smith another good jam but slips then Gillett drops the deep ball.

THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM CAMP BODIES. THEY HAVE NO MINDS

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Brandon Smith does a nice job on James Jones in 1 on 1's. Sticks with him... https://vine.co/v/hqdOFILdtPw

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Tyrone Walker beats Nixon.... https://vine.co/v/hqdOXptTAA7

MOJO NIXON: FOOTBALL BY DAY, ALT COUNTRY BY NIGHT

Hyde right on Boykin but Boykins strong hands win.

JARRETT "STRONG HAND" BOYKIN. TERRIBLE NICKNAME. JARRETT "PIMP HAND" BOYKIN A LOT MORE FUN.

NEED SOMEONE TO HELP ME REMEMBER 70'S BALLAD ABOUT SOMEONE'S HANDS ON SINGER'S BODY. NOT CREEEPY, WELL, NOT CREEPIER THAN ANY OTHER 70S BALLAD. DRIVING ME NUTS.

Smith another good turn against Myles white. Impressive drill for him.

GOOD CALL TOM, ONLY GO WITH LAST NAMES TO AVOID AUTO CORRECT FUMBLE

pbmax
08-01-2013, 11:16 AM
I just used #Shazam to tag Joker And The Thief by Wolfmother. #Packers http://shz.am/t45074887

PACKERS REALLY REACHING BEYOND NORMAL REPERTOIRE HERE FOR TV TIMEOUTS. NICE CREAM TRIBUTE BAND PLAYING DEEP PURPLE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiRnAO0QJ0E

pbmax
08-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Making plays in 1 on 1's: Boykin, Nixon PD on pass to Ross, Means. ... No huddle next.

NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
First play of no huddle and Randall Cobb has another drop. Been a problem through the first week of camp. Fan screams, "Alligator arms!"

Rodgers hits Cobb in stride down sideline in no huddle and he drops it.

FANS MAKING PRACTICE SEEM LIKE ROAD GAME

Brandon Smith subs in for means, comes on corner blitz and perfectly picked up by Franklin

YOUR NEW 3RD DOWN BACK. FANS COULD YELL JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HN!

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Franklin picks up a hard-charging B. Smith on a blitz. ... Pass break-ups by Burnett, Shields so far. Diving tip for the CB.

GET THE FEELING THE D IS AHEAD OF THE O?

Burnett breaks up deep ball to Boykin. Looked like he got there a little early. No flag.

Burnett closes on home run pass to Boykin, who had right read on pass but couldn't avoid the breakup

NO HARM NO FOUL

pbmax
08-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Jarrett Boykin drops a would-be touchdown on deep lob from Rodgers up left sideline. Receivers need stick em today.

TED NOTE TO SCOUTS. RECEIVERS HANDS SHOULD BE MENTIONED IN SCOUTING REPORTS

Tyrone Walker gets open in 1-on-1s. #Packers https://vine.co/v/hqd1uOLDBad

BRING BACK TY BIGGUMS!

McMillan forces a dropping https://vine.co/v/hqd1JqK1h9p

CAN HE PLAY RT AS WELL?

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Datone Jones beats Barclay in the OL/DL 1 on 1's...

Raji beats Barkley bad in middle. And then from RG, Jones beats him easily.

SILVERSTEIN NEEDS A TWITTER EDITOR. BARCLAY HAVING A BAD DAY

McMillian breaks up end zone pass to Finley in single coverage

Josh Boyd beats Van Roten.

VAN ROTEN HAVING SOME POOR MENTIONS IN CAMP AS WELL

Bakhtiari gives ground to Daniels on bull rush but hangs on for a draw.

HE DROPPED 2 POUNDS YESTERDAY AND IS DOWN TO 181 LBS

pbmax
08-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Ross gets shoved in crossing route but still catches bullet for TD from Rodgers

REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO ROSS ON KOFFS

Datone Jones beats Lewis bad from inside.

NOW REFUSING TO COMMENT TO AVOID JINX

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Jermichael Finley cradles a difficult over-the-shoulder TD in 7 on 7.

SOLUTION TO COVER 2?

Eddie Lacy takes a check down pass from Rodgers and lowers the boom on a covering Brandon Smith https://vine.co/v/hqdvB6nj3H6

WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE WHAT LACY ON A SCREEN COULD DO TO PEOPLE. OH YES THEY CAN: INJURE

Boyd with a nice shed on Gerhart. Very strong.

WELL, IF CAPERS DOESN'T FIGURE OUT THE 49ERS, THE NEXT DC WILL BE ABLE TO TRANSITION TO A 4-3 WITH NO PROBLEM

Jones can't get by Kevin Hughes.

SEE? GOT MY HOPES UP.

pbmax
08-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Rodgers pump fake freezes defense, finds Cobb in end zone (7 on 7).... https://vine.co/v/hqdvd2MuaHq

HE DOESN'T PUMP FAKE MUCH, DOES HE?

Lang stuffs Jolly.

JUST GETTING HIM MAD TJ. GOOD FOR YOU.

Finley catches TD over Fulton and spikes ball into next week. A lot of motivation for 88 this year

Rodgers drops a pass to Omarius Hines perfectly in double coverage https://vine.co/v/hqdvxIOVuDE

LIKING THIS

Good matchup between Sitton and Daniels. Sitton gets the edge.

ITS THE HAIR

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Omarius Hines adjusts body in end zone to haul in a score the final play of 7 on 7.

THIS WAS THE SIGNING AFTER DORSEY AND JOHNSON WENT DOWN, RIGHT? NICE TO SEE

Freak Out
08-01-2013, 11:36 AM
I just used #Shazam to tag Joker And The Thief by Wolfmother. #Packers http://shz.am/t45074887

PACKERS REALLY REACHING BEYOND NORMAL REPERTOIRE HERE FOR TV TIMEOUTS. NICE CREAM TRIBUTE BAND PLAYING DEEP PURPLE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiRnAO0QJ0E

Great stuff. Best post on this page. :)

pbmax
08-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Daniels still killing in 1om1s, goes 2-1 today

But gerhart struggling against most everyone else

Strange pattern in 1on1 pass rush, gerhart can block Jones, who has been whining most of his reps against everyone else

FOOTBALL MORE AND MORE LIKE BASEBALL. SITUATIONAL SUBSTITUTION

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
McCarthy giving rookie running backs the reps in blitz pickup early.

YOU CAN TELL WHERE A COACH'S FOCUS IS

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Fumbled pitch from Coleman to Starks. Someone at fault.

I HATE TO SPECULATE HERE. I VOTE FOR BOTH

Snap on the ground from Barclay I think. Could have been Van Roten.

SILVERSTEIN REPORTING FROM DENNY'S DOWN THE STREET

Datone Jones with a probable sack up the middle.

NO COMMENT I MEAN IT

Banjo seems a bit more suited for the safety spot than short stint with McMahon. Gets into hole to stop green on blitz

HIS NAME IS REALLY BANJO?!

pbmax
08-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Rodgers to Finley for a TD down the middle.

I'VE GOT YOUR COVER 2 RIGHT HERE!

Ryan Taylor catching everything thrown to him so far. Name not coming up for wrong reasons

THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY TO EXPRESS A JOB WELL DONE

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Rodgers with a shovel pass to Franklin underneath for an easy score in red-zone blitz.

HAVE NEVER, NEVER, LIKED SHOVEL PASSES EXCEPT WHEN SCRAMBLING

Both good from 33 right hash. Both good 37 left hash.

Both good from 43 right hash.

Both good from 47 from left hash.

Crosby good from 51right hash. Tavecchio hits left upright. Hits on another attempt.

I just used #Shazam to tag Diamonds by Rhianna Feat. Pitbull. #TVTimeoutPlaylist http://shz.am/t78823471

CROSBY EVEN HIT FROM RIGHT HASH

Pugger
08-01-2013, 11:46 AM
The only really decent vines are Wilde's. The others are too darn far away to really see anything. :?

pbmax
08-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Rodgers to Boykin to the goal line into zone coverage. Then play action to Jones for corner TD.

JONES SHOULD BE A HUGE RED ZONE THREAT

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
A lot of screens, shovels, etc. for Johnathan Franklin. Looking better in blitz pick-up today.

COACH'S FOCUS

Coleman would have been sacked by Mulumba and Savage.

SOUNDS LIKE A WRESTLING TAG TEAM

Lacy bulls up the middle for TD.

WAS NOT LIVE TACKLING THOUGH

Bakhtiari inching into RT competition, takes 1 snap w starters on goal line play

Guiness
08-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Wow that was a pile to read! Most promising thing I read was this:

Yikes. Eddie Lacy sends Datone Jones airborne with a lowered shoulder at the end of his run. On his back.

Seems like it's been forever since we've had a back who finishes hard. I have fond memories of Ahman levitating LBs!

pbmax
08-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Great stuff. Best post on this page. :)

Song title from a Dylan song. These guys take their nostalgia seriously.

pbmax
08-01-2013, 11:55 AM
THURSDAY PRACTICE

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 59m
Last two days of one-on-one pass-blocking drill, the starting five is combined 15-0.

FROM TWITTER, YOU WOULD GET THE OPPOSITE IMPRESSION. BUT WITH SOME EXCEPTIONS, ITS ALWAYS 1 VS 2s IN DRILLS. BUT THIS IS BETTER NEWS THAN THE IMPRESSION THAT THE D LINE WAS OVERRUNNING THE O LINE.

Guiness
08-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Did something change with Vine? I thought I could view the videos with Firefox. Looked for an alternative, found seenive but I can't seem to find Tyler Dunne's account.

pbmax
08-01-2013, 12:31 PM
MM: No updates on the PUP guys. Won't happen this week.

MM: Jolly had ankle, but he's a tough guy. Didn't surprise me he was back today.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h
MM on right tackle: Newhouse running with 1's but needs to earn it; Barclay and Bakhtiari need to earn it, too. "Going to take some time."

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
McCarthy: Didn't like the balls on the ground. Disrupts practice.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
McCarthy: Pitch between Coleman, Starks, never seen anything like that. Sloppy.

Ball on the ground four times "puts a huge dent into the performance."

MM: Didn't like the balls on the ground. Stayed after and had the whole team work on ball handling. Coleman to Starks toss, I don/t think...

MM: Barclay, the shotgun is new to him. Three of the four have been shotguns. But it's time to start improving.

On report Williams will get second opinion on knee: McCarthy doesn't confirm, says he feels OK with initial evaluation

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
McCarthy on 38 getting second opinion on knee: Maybe. Not aware where that came from. Players can get second opinion if they feel necessary.

On kicker: i thought they both kicked lot better, crosby accurate and height was good. Tavechhio doesn't have quite the height Crosby gets

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
McCarthy on Savage/Mulumba: Like whole OLB group. Has length, the right personality.

MM on Richardson (neck): All the opinions of doctors have to be factored and final decision made.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
McCarthy on the safeties: Really like the growth of both. Both made huge step in communication. Different players physically.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport
MM on safeties: Not "as clean" as Jennings vs. McMillian because of personnel groupings. Likes growth of both players.

Morgan Burnett upgrading play and upgrading "exertion of command" of defense. "This is the Morgan Burnett that we know."

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
McCarthy: Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin two younger guys doing well at that (2nd level); challenging the "free hat."

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
McCarthy on 2nd level blocking: Ability to make right decision, choose right hole. Create apex for runner, square up defender, make him miss

McCarthy kept players after practice for additional ball security/handling drills. "Today is not what you want." #Packers

denverYooper
08-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Outstanding updates.

There are a few things that I like so far:
1.) Lacy is a destroyer and turns it on when the pads go on.
2.) Newhouse has been a pleasant surprise at RT. Maybe it's a better fit.
3.) Bakhtiari is probably much better than wist thought. Sounds like he's on his way to a backup T spot.
4.) Daniels and McMillian having a great camp. Sounds like both have worked for it and are stepping up.
5.) Finley is dialed in.

And a few things I don't like:
1.) Lang is struggling more than I'm comfortable with.
2.) Cobb with more drops than I'd like, although I think it'll clear up.
3.) "Second opinion" sounds like "last chance" for TWill.

Joemailman
08-01-2013, 01:57 PM
I was at practice today. As Wilde alluded to, sloppy practice. Sure MM was not happy.

Finley looks great. And by that, I mean the extra weight makes him look and move like the 2009 Finley.
I'll be surprised if McMillian isn't the starting SS.
Franklin looks really dangerous, especially when catching the ball.
Ross seemed to be getting a lot of reps. See what he does on Family Night.

hoosier
08-01-2013, 02:00 PM
More likes:
6) The combination of Daniels and Jones (and Jolly if he can stick) is going to provide a much more active defensive line, and might energize the entire defense.
7) TT has done a good job of enhancing competition at key positions.

Don't likes:

4) No replacement in sight for Cobb on special teams.
5) Depth on OL is going to be thin to non-existent.
6) Sounds like Franklin is having a tough time with blitz pickup. Is that something that can be learned on the fly or does it mean GB is going to have to find another third down back this year?

Don't hate:
1) Could getting their fumbilitis out of the way in training camp mean it won't show up again in the divisional round?

Fritz
08-01-2013, 04:00 PM
1. Having outside linebackers with names like "Savage" and "Moses."

2. The play, so far, of David Bahkteria.

3. The dedication of McMillan and Finley looking like it might pay off.

4. PB's Twitter updates/commentary

Dislikes:

1. The injuries

2. The seemingly sluggish play of the offensive line as James Campen plays everybody at every position every day.

3. Ross's fumbleitis so far.

4. The injuries.

swede
08-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Snap on the ground from Barclay I think. Could have been Van Roten.

SILVERSTEIN REPORTING FROM DENNY'S DOWN THE STREET

Wife wants to know what's so funny kind of lol.

Banjo seems a bit more suited for the safety spot than short stint with McMahon. Gets into hole to stop green on blitz

HIS NAME IS REALLY BANJO?!

Scouting report on Banjo: High strung, loves picks, will set tone for others, making sure that everyone plays together.

run pMc
08-01-2013, 09:43 PM
I think Bahktiari is the backup at LT and will push the winner of Newhouse/Barclay for the backup RT spot, effectively making him the top backup. It sounds like Newhouse has been working with the 1's and Barclay is getting moved around (and struggling more) so maybe they're trying to see where he can play in search for excuses to keep him. Newhouse is playing for pride and a new contract this year...I think he'll be tough to unseat this year but TT will let him sign with some needy crappy club like Arizona.

Now that EDS is the starter at C, I can't think of who the backups behind Lang and Sitton are besides Datko. Surprised they think G is best spot for Datko -- I assume the competition at OT is crowded so they moved him there? Given I can't think of any, none of the backups at G inspire great confidence at the moment.

Maybe I'm used to all the injuries from year's past; this just seems par for the course and am happy nobody is on IR yet.

The fumbles/dropped passes will happen in camp...for now it's an anomaly. The bobbles on KR/PR's seems like a pattern however...and finding a replacement for Cobb is a concern. Right now I don't trust any of the people they have.

It takes time for rookie RB's to pick up pass-pro on the NFL level...that's usually the only thing holding them back. Franklin's a smart dude and will get it figured out. I remember Brandon Jackson took his lumps as a rookie and eventually developed his pass-pro from a weakness into a strength (he was known for it by the time he left for CLE). The experience in the system and with pass-pro give Green and Starks an advantage over the rookies...for now.

Noodle
08-01-2013, 11:22 PM
I know I don't post as much as I should, but seriously, without going all Pulp Fiction The Wolf, this thread demonstrates the awesome quality of this board. PB deserves to have his number in the ring of fame for his incredible posts/commentary, and the rest of the Packer Rat crew deserves love for the thoughtful observations and humor.

Seriously, my brothers and sisters, this string alone is why there is no better place on the planet to get the real deal on the Pack than right here right now.

That said, fire Slocum and Campen. NOW!

Maxie the Taxi
08-02-2013, 07:55 AM
1. Having outside linebackers with names like "Savage" and "Moses."

2. The play, so far, of David Bahkteria.

3. The dedication of McMillan and Finley looking like it might pay off.

4. PB's Twitter updates/commentary

Dislikes:

1. The injuries

2. The seemingly sluggish play of the offensive line as James Campen plays everybody at every position every day.

3. Ross's fumbleitis so far.

4. The injuries.

Likes: Other neat names: Andy Mulumba, Jake Stoneburner, Loyce Means, Chris Banjo and Alex Gillette (#1) (I'd love to see Gillette do a Schick commercial).

run pMc
08-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Wife wants to know what's so funny kind of lol.

Scouting report on Banjo: High strung, loves picks, will set tone for others, making sure that everyone plays together.

yeah, I was cracking up at the Denny's quote.

Here's the info on "Dueling" Banjo from http://www.packers.com/team/players.html:
32 Banjo, Chris S 5-10 207 23 R Southern Methodist University

On the topic of the G's, they list
Barclay as T/G
EDS as C/G
Lane Taylor as G
Greg Van Roten as G/C
Sitton
Lang

pbmax
08-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Then a bullet from Rodgers to Finley over the middle for a TD. CAUGHT IT OVER Jennings and McMillian.

I GET A SENSE OF HOW THE OFFENSE WILL OPEN THE SEASON.

pbmax
08-02-2013, 09:57 PM
McCarthy after Friday Night Lights

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 56s
McCarthy said Brad Jones injured a finger and was being evaluated. Quarless injured quad, Nelson banged knee. #Packers

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 57s
MM on Nelson: Jordy banged his knee like two days ago. Worked through it. Hes being evaluated. It’s a little re occurrence of an old injury

Cross Reporting Camp News:
Badgers players got playbooks on iPads this year.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130802/PKR0101/130802046

From WesHod's blog at packernews.com, On Alex Green fumble, Johnny Jolly force:
Good play for the defense, bad play for the offense. I thought it was a good play by Johnny. It’s unacceptable by Alex. That’s part of training against one another, so that’s that.

GO-GO JOLLY

M3 likes Mulumba and Savage at OLB

Scrimmage will have live tackling

Rodgers and Offense had one of its best periods in 2 minute drill late Friday night.

Defense, esp, secondary, really starting to gel and compete for the ball

Newhouse at LT with the 2s: Rotating with different guys is important (rather than just competition) and its no different for Marshall.

I THINK THIS MEANS THEY NEED TO BALANCE REPS AND GET PLAYERS EQUAL AMOUNTS OF WORK, NOT JUST SET IN STONE POSITIONS AND THEN A LOT OF DOWN TIME, BUT YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE

Lattimore still sick, sat out last half of practice. Same illness as earlier.

WHAT ARE THE PEOPLE OF GREEN BAY FEEDING THESE GUYS THAT THEY ARE SICK FOR 1 1/2 WEEKS?

Boykin and Ross: Understanding of jobs on offense has improved as has performance. Add that to ST work and they are adding value to the team

George Cumby
08-02-2013, 11:19 PM
I know I don't post as much as I should, but seriously, without going all Pulp Fiction The Wolf, this thread demonstrates the awesome quality of this board. PB deserves to have his number in the ring of fame for his incredible posts/commentary, and the rest of the Packer Rat crew deserves love for the thoughtful observations and humor.

Seriously, my brothers and sisters, this string alone is why there is no better place on the planet to get the real deal on the Pack than right here right now.

That said, fire Slocum and Campen. NOW!

What the brain-dead musician said.

PB: thank you. Your commentary is a satirical melody, keep it up, Boss.

George Cumby
08-02-2013, 11:21 PM

I see what you did there. Repped.

Pugger
08-03-2013, 08:13 AM
I think Bahktiari is the backup at LT and will push the winner of Newhouse/Barclay for the backup RT spot, effectively making him the top backup. It sounds like Newhouse has been working with the 1's and Barclay is getting moved around (and struggling more) so maybe they're trying to see where he can play in search for excuses to keep him. Newhouse is playing for pride and a new contract this year...I think he'll be tough to unseat this year but TT will let him sign with some needy crappy club like Arizona.

Now that EDS is the starter at C, I can't think of who the backups behind Lang and Sitton are besides Datko. Surprised they think G is best spot for Datko -- I assume the competition at OT is crowded so they moved him there? Given I can't think of any, none of the backups at G inspire great confidence at the moment.

Maybe I'm used to all the injuries from year's past; this just seems par for the course and am happy nobody is on IR yet.

The fumbles/dropped passes will happen in camp...for now it's an anomaly. The bobbles on KR/PR's seems like a pattern however...and finding a replacement for Cobb is a concern. Right now I don't trust any of the people they have.

It takes time for rookie RB's to pick up pass-pro on the NFL level...that's usually the only thing holding them back. Franklin's a smart dude and will get it figured out. I remember Brandon Jackson took his lumps as a rookie and eventually developed his pass-pro from a weakness into a strength (he was known for it by the time he left for CLE). The experience in the system and with pass-pro give Green and Starks an advantage over the rookies...for now.

:???:

Upnorth
08-03-2013, 09:23 AM
They sure are making Barclay work moving him through all three spots.

red
08-03-2013, 11:12 AM
i've always hated the line shuffling BS

instead of having a bunch of guys master one position, you end up with guys who are just serviceable and many position

masters of none

pbmax
08-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Don't have time to edit Tweets together so here are the highlights of Bob McGinn's JSO practice summary: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-camp-report-friday-at-a-glance-b9967544z1-218190432.html

Pease lost his first one on one battle with Nick Perry but fought to a draw in the next two. Bob doesn't malign Perry, instead praising Peace and saying the sixth back in camp this year is better than the back who got most of the reps in camp last year (Marc Tyler)

One reason Newhouse got time back at LT was that David Bakhtiari got time at RT with the starters. So he might be in a position to pass Barclay soon.

Jolly had the fumble and nice move in pass rush drills to beat Bacteria. McGinn then says he tired and lost to Barclay, Taylor and Lewis. Who are, of course, his accounting firm.

Hawk took dime snaps after Brad Jones was injured, but in the 2 minute drill to end practice, Manning was the dime backer.

Van Roten got his camp turned around with a 3-1 mark in pass drills Friday night.

And to give equal time, from GBPG, http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130802/PKR01/130802050/Insider-Thumbs-up-Mulumba-down-RB-Green

Best UDFA so far they claim is Mulumba, who looks a bit like Dikembe Mutumbo's younger brother. Doesn't have great success versus O line in pass rush, but is beating backs and TEs. Coverage is better right now.

Nate Palmer was back to practice.

House moved to outside starter role opposite Shields with Hyde in slot on Friday.

Mike Daniels having best camp of pass rushers in drills.

Sam Barrington took Brad Jones spot in base after his finger injury.

Finley's TD, during a slow camp for him overall apparently, came over McMillan and another. Took ball away. Finley seems much more physical at his higher weight this year (the weight comment was pb not Dougherty)

pittstang5
08-03-2013, 12:16 PM
i've always hated the line shuffling BS

instead of having a bunch of guys master one position, you end up with guys who are just serviceable and many position

masters of none

+1

I also hate that they draft Tackles and make them into guards/centers. Can we just draft a guard or a center for a change?

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2013, 12:47 PM
To be fair, they dress 7 for games. If you train everybody at one position, you'd have to carry a bunch of OL on the game day roster. I'm guessing most teams cross-train their backup OL at multiple positions. I think what this says is that they don't expect Barclay to win a starting spot, so he needs to be able to play multiple positions as a backup. Newhouse is already cross-trained at LT.

pbmax
08-03-2013, 01:06 PM
To be fair, they dress 7 for games. If you train everybody at one position, you'd have to carry a bunch of OL on the game day roster. I'm guessing most teams cross-train their backup OL at multiple positions. I think what this says is that they don't expect Barclay to win a starting spot, so he needs to be able to play multiple positions as a backup. Newhouse is already cross-trained at LT.

I agree it must be done. McGinn doesn't help though with a once weekly column or piece that intimates that if only they concentrated on one position, things would be better.

The problem is, the writers don't know (or maybe don't care) who is actually competing for what spots. McGinn probably has the best handle on it, but doesn't cover it with an eye to the starting five, depth chart and game day actives. The coverage from certain outlets and Twitter focused on what Newhouse was doing at LT. Which leads fans to wonder what is up with Newhouse. When the answer was mostly, it was time to challenge Bakhtiari with the 1s.

Same with Barclay at RG. They might have needed a body there to get reps when someone else went to their 2nd spot. One thing that would help is a report on who got how many reps. The Packers do much of their conditioning by practicing at a certain tempo. And that means these guys need reps to get into shape.

In the end, I suspect the amount of shuffling is higher on the Packers because the HC seems to make a point of it, but I doubt its half again as much as other teams. Were talking 10-20% of the first two weeks of camp.

The other thing is that this position probably suffers from draft and develop more than any other, which is why both Clifton and Tauscher still had contract years when they were finally forced from the game. Other than ILB, he has not often spent that kind of money with older vets at other spots.

bobblehead
08-03-2013, 03:04 PM
+1

I also hate that they draft Tackles and make them into guards/centers. Can we just draft a guard or a center for a change?

First off, the best linemen play Tackle in college. Not too many exceptions. Often they only have a guards skillset at the next level.

Second, OL comes down to winning one on one battles. The only confusing thing about moving around is looking at the D and knowing who that one guy you have to beat is going to be. Footwork can be a minor adjustment from right to left, but not like a DB switching to WR.

Third, as mentioned, sometimes your 6th best lineman is your best backup at 3 positions. If he needs a little help with the mental side of backing up multiples he can lean on the guy next to him a bit. Clifton was notoriously "not too bright" which is why a sharp study like Darren College kept his job next to him as long as he did. Cliffy, however, could beat damn near anyone once he knew who to block.

Maxie the Taxi
08-03-2013, 03:16 PM
All this switching around makes it kind of difficult to name a restaurant.

pbmax
08-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 13m
Just went through my #Packers one-on-one pass rush standings. DL has 45 wins. Jones and Daniels have 22 of them.

pbmax
08-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 15m
Projected #Packers No. 1 OL of EDS, Sitton, Lang, Bulaga, Newhouse a combined 32-5. Were 20-0 last three practices.

pittstang5
08-03-2013, 10:49 PM
First off, the best linemen play Tackle in college. Not too many exceptions. Often they only have a guards skillset at the next level.

Second, OL comes down to winning one on one battles. The only confusing thing about moving around is looking at the D and knowing who that one guy you have to beat is going to be. Footwork can be a minor adjustment from right to left, but not like a DB switching to WR.

Third, as mentioned, sometimes your 6th best lineman is your best backup at 3 positions. If he needs a little help with the mental side of backing up multiples he can lean on the guy next to him a bit. Clifton was notoriously "not too bright" which is why a sharp study like Darren College kept his job next to him as long as he did. Cliffy, however, could beat damn near anyone once he knew who to block.

Thanks for the lesson;-)

KYPack
08-04-2013, 10:10 AM
yeah, I was cracking up at the Denny's quote.

Here's the info on "Dueling" Banjo from http://www.packers.com/team/players.html:
32 Banjo, Chris S 5-10 207 23 R Southern Methodist University

On the topic of the G's, they list
Barclay as T/G
EDS as C/G
Lane Taylor as G
Greg Van Roten as G/C
Sitton
Lang

I'd like to echo Noodle's post. I should post more, but who needs to when PB and all you guys are getting out so much great info.

I thought everyone on here was really getting into it when I read so & so "beat Banjo".

Banjo is a type of coverage usually only discussed by coaches, etc. It's a field call for a switch. The outside defender takes the wr that runs an outside route, the inside defender takes the receiver that runs inside route. The call is made to defeat pick and rub routes by the offense.

I didn't realize we had a player named Banjo.

Wonder what they'll do when they call a banjo in the game?

The poor bastard will have to be confused.

pbmax
08-04-2013, 10:56 AM
I'd like to echo Noodle's post. I should post more, but who needs to when PB and all you guys are getting out so much great info.

I thought everyone on here was really getting into it when I read so & so "beat Banjo".

Banjo is a type of coverage usually only discussed by coaches, etc. It's a field call for a switch. The outside defender takes the wr that runs an outside route, the inside defender takes the receiver that runs inside route. The call is made to defeat pick and rub routes by the offense.

Banjo had a tackle last night, but he nearly got overrun in the secondary while making it. And I might be just getting old, or maybe putting the widescreen TV into Zoom mode to make the standard def picture bigger was not a good idea, but the Packers backups all seem taller and faster. Maybe its all the receivers with 10 and 11 jersey numbers.

I have been racking my brain trying to come up with other impressions for more players, but its tough to say the players on the #2 Defense looked a bit lost when

a) They forced one, if not two or three four down stops and the coaches, as per normal practice, reset the down and distance clock and went ahead with the same players.

b) At some point on the second or third drive, a lot of potential #1 players (Bulaga, EDS, Newhouse, every TE but Finley) were squaring off against a number of near-number one guys on defense (Jolly, Jones, Daniels, Perry, McMillan/Jennings, Hyde) and the rest of the 2nd team defense.

For all of the previous rainouts and lightning shows, you really got your money's worth last night even if it was as confusing as hell.

But you can put your money on this for today, Jones and Lacy looked the part in full last night. Franklin can also be a third down back. Bobble's going to have some fun this season. Lacy seems like a really fun, goofy guy in interviews. Franklin and Jones are polished, remind me very much of Vonnie Holliday and Dorsey/Grant in public presence.

wist43
08-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Max, I didn't watch the scrimmage - how much 2-whatever, 1-whatever alignments was Capers in??

His MO has usually been to use more base alignments in the preseason - using 3 DL a good amount of the time. Then, once the lights are on, he forgets that he has DL on the roster.

Beware of what you guys think you will be getting with Jones - assuming Capers hasn't had a brain transplant, it is entirely likely that he will negate Jones by constantly playing small and soft. How many times last year did Capers get a sack on 2nd down - now 3rd and 16, and he rushes 3, plays man behind it and a team like Jacksonville converts an easy first down with a little flair pass in the flat?? or he simply lets the TE run free down the middle for an easy pitch and catch at the 12 yard mark, but doesn't even encounter the first defender until he's already at the 1st down marker??

Capers is the problem - I don't see that changing at all. He's been misusing several good players since he's been here - what makes any of you think he'll use Jones to good effect??

pbmax
08-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Max, I didn't watch the scrimmage - how much 2-whatever, 1-whatever alignments was Capers in??

His MO has usually been to use more base alignments in the preseason - using 3 DL a good amount of the time. Then, once the lights are on, he forgets that he has DL on the roster.

Beware of what you guys think you will be getting with Jones - assuming Capers hasn't had a brain transplant, it is entirely likely that he will negate Jones by constantly playing small and soft. How many times last year did Capers get a sack on 2nd down - now 3rd and 16, and he rushes 3, plays man behind it and a team like Jacksonville converts an easy first down with a little flair pass in the flat?? or he simply lets the TE run free down the middle for an easy pitch and catch at the 12 yard mark, but doesn't even encounter the first defender until he's already at the 1st down marker??

Capers is the problem - I don't see that changing at all. He's been misusing several good players since he's been here - what makes any of you think he'll use Jones to good effect??

Saw 3 man rush once or twice. Not sure who was at the ends. Normal amount of nickel. The base I saw was Eagle Oakie, but with Raji at RDE next to Matthews and Wilson at LDE with Perry. I think that personnel selection was new.

He did play some off coverage early with Shields in game. But also some press. I think Justin has a point that Shields as a starter outside is not trusted in zone yet. House was off more often.

Rutnstrut
08-04-2013, 02:31 PM

Is it too much to hope for the Capers brain transplant?

Carolina_Packer
08-04-2013, 09:20 PM

I hear he has a lot of...pluck. Perhaps one day, he'll be first...string. :rs:

pbmax
08-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Well now, things are just getting weird.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 26m
Can he play left tackle? RT @Slappyb27: Vince Young at the airport in gb tonight pic.twitter.com/WhWnYxuL0B

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQ3zJcsCIAEAnC0.jpg:large

mission
08-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Sign him for camp and have him run the hell out of the read option in scout team

Pugger
08-04-2013, 11:49 PM
It might be interesting to see what MM and Clements can do with a kid like Vince Young...

wist43
08-05-2013, 12:09 AM
While it is true that NFL teams draft college T's and move them to G, how many of them are constantly playing musical chairs with all their linemen?? When's the last time you heard of a team flipping their entire OL?? The answer is never.

The Packers are a unique mess when it comes to the OL, and that starts with McCarthy. Our OL has been a complete mess since he's been here - it was only for that "fart in the wind" stretch that landed us a SB that he was able to stabalize it long enough to get some decent production out of it.

How Rodgers is still alive is amazing - what are the odds Rodgers makes it through another season of 51 sacks?? It's only a matter of time before he goes down - then all of you will be screaming bloody murder.

It's one thing to say we have to convert college T's to G... McCarthy's musical chairs approach to the OL is a completely different conversation.

Fritz
08-05-2013, 07:30 AM
Of course, losing Bulaga last year...and again this year, it seems, and losing your #1 draft pick from three drafts ago must somehow be all MM's fault too, right?

Wist, do you ever, ever enjoy anything?

pbmax
08-05-2013, 05:50 PM
From Pete Dougherty of the GBPG blog:

that the team seems inclined to play Bakhtiari at left tackle and keep Marshall Newhouse at right tackle.

Joemailman
08-05-2013, 06:36 PM
It might be interesting to see what MM and Clements can do with a kid like Vince Young...

Vince Young is 30.

Pugger
08-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Vince Young is 30.

Anybody under 50 is a kid to me. :wink:

packer4life
08-06-2013, 03:06 AM

Under Dom Capers since 2009, the packers are 4th overall in overall scoring defense (points allowed per game) and overall TDs allowed. Furthermore, we are 3rd overall since 2009 in rushing TDs allowed. We are #4 overall in total sacks since 2010. Don't get me started on the ability to force turnovers, we are good in that category as well.

It's easy to jump on the wist bandwagon (aka the I hate everything bandwagon), but for the rest of you I will simply let those stats do the talking. Capers is no Bob Sanders. He deserves a shred of respect people.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Tuesday Camp Practice, August 6, 2013

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 37s
Newhouse starting out at RT, Bakhtiari at LT.

HOPING FOR MORE CLITON, LESS MICHELS

Datone Jones nowhere in sight either
Alex Green is not suited up today #Packers

HEAD INTO DESK DESK DESK DESK

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 5m
Still out: Dorsey, Johnson, Richardson, Hayward, Williams, Tretter, Sherrod, Quarless, Nelson, Neal, Worthy

CUNNINGHAM PUT ON IR YESTERDAY TO MAKE ROOM FOR YOUNG AND WR WILSON (WR Justin Wilson from Delaware St.)

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 8m
New out Green, Bulaga, Taylor

DON'T FORGET JONES!

pbmax
08-06-2013, 08:36 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQ_P41xCYAA43Un.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQ_PjokCMAEeHN3.jpg:large

pbmax
08-06-2013, 08:42 AM
TE Andrew Quarless is still out and I don't see DE Datone Jones yet.

I THINK THE PACKERS SHOULD NOT HAVE CAMP ANYMORE. AND FORFEIT PRESEASON GAMES. AND FAMILY NIGHT SCRIMMAGE CAN BE FAMILY NIGHT INDIVIDUAL DRILLS

#Packers out: Dorsey, Johnson, Green, Harris, Richardson, Hayward,Tramon, Tretter, Bulaga, Sherrod, Quarless, Taylor, Nelson, Neal, Worthy

LATER COULD NOT FIND JONES

Sitton and Lang have not been moved. Same positions.

PERHAPS THEY CAN PLAY OFFENSE AND DEFENSE LIKE IN YEARS PAST WHEN NO ONE EVER GOT HURT

Barclay starting out at RT behind Newhouse. Had been playing guard and center.

SOMETIMES ADVERSITY IS NECESSARY TO CLARIFY YOUR THINKING JAMES CAMPEN

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 3m
Barclay getting some reps at RT 1 and Van Roten at center w No. 1 line n Harrell at QB

SOMETIMES ADVERSITY IS NECESSARY TO CLARIFY YOUR THINKING JAMES CAMPEN

Barclay now at center. Graham Harrell is getting all the reps at No. 2 QB.

SOMETIMES ADVERSITY IS NECESSARY TO CLARIFY YOUR THINKING MIKE MCCARTHY

pbmax
08-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Personal note on Vince Young. A couple of years in Andy Reid's system might mean than terminology in this flavor of West Coast Offense will not be unfamiliar to him.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 6m
Then Barclay shifts to center.

OF COURSE HE DOES. HE WILL GET ALL THE RT REPS HE NEEDS AFTER THE NEXT TACKLE INJURY

Personal: We are not here just to torture you. A fairly positive piece from two people who have actually watched "the lightest lineman in the draft" play football. http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/05/the-all-22-rookie-david-bakhtiari-could-surprise-as-packers-emergency-left-tackle/

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 9m
Now Barclay at LG, Newhouse RT

PLEASE BE A TYPO

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 9m
Now Barclay at left guard. Call him Mr. Utility Man.

I AM GOING TO GET COFFEE. LET ME KNOW WHEN CAMP IS OVER

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 10m
Packers have been increasing Eddie Lacy's workload. Have to think he'll keep seeing carries with Harris, Green both out.

DUNNE WAS A MATH MAJOR. KNOWS THE DENOMINATOR IS EVERYTHING IN DIVISION

pbmax
08-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 9m
Some followers astutely point out that Vince Young has no money to buy Ross' number.

BECAUSE I AM A TERRIBLE PERSON, I SMILED AT THIS. COMPASSION FINALLY GOT SQUARED UP TO THE LOS AND WAS ABLE TO REIN ME BACK IN. GAIN OF 4 YARDS.

I don't see AJ Hawk right now.

NEEDS ADDICTION BY SUBTRACTION JOKES STAT

Just as I say that Hawk comes running out of the Don Hutson Center.

SILVERSTEIN IS JUST TOYING WITH READERS

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 6m
Dezman Moses back practicing. Here he is with Mulumba at jugs machine... https://vine.co/v/hbT1glrq1T0

THE HEALTHIEST PEOPLE ARE ALL AT POSITIONS OF THE GREATEST DEPTH. CAUSE OR EFFECT?

Joemailman
08-06-2013, 09:00 AM
TwitterTom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
Still no sign of DE Datone Jones.

Joemailman
08-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
Vince Young is getting play by play direction from QBs coach Ben McAdoo. No reps.

Joemailman
08-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Tyler Dunne @TyDunne
Andrew Datko is back at tackle. Working with the second team at left tackle.

Bulaga gets hurt, and now they have guys playing where they should be playing.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 6m
A few of Vince Young's passes during ball drill to backs were errant.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 6m
It has been a year for Young. In drill from previous video, the QB hit one of the bags.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 6m
Vince Young still has kind of funky throwing motion, brings ball farther behind shoulder than most QBs

LEFT WITHOUT COMMENT

#Packers who have returned from injury are S David Fulton, LB Dezman Moses and LB Jamari Lattimore.

HGH TESTING MUST BE OVER

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 10m
Shields n House outside CBs, Hyde slot in No. 1 nickel

TODAY'S MOMENT OF ZEN, ROOKIE EDITION

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 7m
During last drill No. 2 line was LT Datko, LG Patrick Lewis, C Van Roten, RG Lane Taylor, RT Barclay.

OK, YOU PUT IT LIKE THAT AND I UNDERSTAND BARCLAY EVERYWHERE

Vince Young is getting play by play direction from QBs coach Ben McAdoo. No reps.

WHO NEEDS REPS WHEN HE CAN HIT THE BLOCKING BAG FROM 20 YARDS?

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 8m
Punt return drill, returners: Conb, Ross, Franklin, Hines, Wilson

ROSS DROPS A PUNT LATER, I HOPE HE KNOWS HE IS DISAPPOINTING A NATION OF RANDALL COBB FANS

pbmax
08-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 7m
Minus Bulaga, Barclay rotated along line. Datko worked as second team LT

FOR PATLER

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 3m
Young is 6-5, Coleman 6-3, Rodgers and Harrell 6-2.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 4m
Vince Young listed at 230 pounds, Coleman 231, Rodgers 225, Harrell 215.

SIZE ISN'T EVERYTHING BOB

https://vine.co/v/hbTD9hzQE9P

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 2m
Alex Van Pelt wants backs to get lower in blitz pickup. Says they were too high in the scrimmage. https://vine.co/v/hbTjhZ0qU0Q

PAD LEVEL, ALWAYS PAD LEVEL

https://vine.co/v/hbTj1tvD2Uv

CORRECT PAD LEVEL OR DECAPITATION. ACTUALLY, LACY HAS TO DIP HEAD TO CLEAR BAR. NOT GOOD TECHNIQUE. AS A TALLER FOOTBALL PLAYER, I HATED THOSE BARS AND ROPES

Of the 16 #Packers not practicing seven are on PUP and have not suited up yet. Nine are injuries suffered in camp.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Tyler Dunne @TyDunne
Andrew Datko is back at tackle. Working with the second team at left tackle.

Bulaga gets hurt, and now they have guys playing where they should be playing.

HEY! I AM WORKING THIS SIDE OF THE STREET. GET YOUR OWN JOKES!

Patler
08-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 7m
Minus Bulaga, Barclay rotated along line. Datko worked as second team LT

FOR PATLER

All again is right with the world.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Just so we are clear Joe, that was a joke. Happy to have someone else along for the ride.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 09:35 AM
You know, this scouring report sounds like a player wist would enjoy watching:

Pros: [Some backup LT pressed into service after injury] possesses a wide frame with a strong upper body and big legs. He understands how to use power in in-line situations. He will get his hands under his opponent’s pads and lock on very well, driving the defender back. Has a nasty demeanor (in a good way) and will follow his man to the conclusion of the play.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Vince Young's first throw in CB-WR 1 on 1s is in the dirt.

HOO BOY

Second throw is on the money to A lex Gillett on a slant.

50% MIGHT HAVE WORKED IN 1956, NOT SO MUCH TODAY

Great coverage by Lloyce Means on a double move by Cobb.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 1m
House, Lloyce Means, McMillian with wins in one on one vs. receivers.

HOW DO YOU SCORE THE THROW IN THE DIRT? HAS TO COUNT FOR D RIGHT?

Ron Wolf at practice, always shows up for few days of camp

REMEMBER THE OLD SAW ABOUT WEIGHT LIFTING MAKING YOU MUSCLE BOUND AND INFLEXIBLE AND UNABLE TO PLAY FOOTBALL OR BASEBALL? MAYBE WITH PEDS, WE HAVE ACTUALLY GOTTEN TO THAT POINT

pbmax
08-06-2013, 09:48 AM
YOU JUST KNOW THESE TWO ARE GOING TO THE CAR SHOW LATER TODAY

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQ_iVtRCAAAxb5u.jpg

pbmax
08-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 2m
Red zone now. Eddie Lacy presses the hole, cuts back for 15 yards.

BEST READ ALL DAY

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 3m
Barclay back at RT with one offensive line

THEY ARE STILL PRESSING NEWHOUSE. I THINK THIS IS GOOD.

Shields excellent breakup on Boykin in end zone

IF HE CAN PLAY OFF SOME AND STILL TACKLE, OUTSIDE OF D WILL BE IMPROVED

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 15s
Sounds like Bakhtiari got an earful from OL coach James Campen.

SOMETIMES ADVERSITY IS NECESSARY TO CLARIFY YOUR THINKING DAVID BAKHTIARI

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 44s
First Vince Young 11-on-11 rep is a handoff to Franklin in red zone. Out now.

BREAK HIM IN SLOWLY UNTIL HE RUNS THE SCOUT TEAM, WHICH, AFTER SOME THOUGHT, SEEMS VERY MUCH UNLIKELY GIVEN MCCARTHY'S AVERSION TO QUICK FIXES

pbmax
08-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Bakhtiari continues to be the LT with 1s. Newhouse getting most of RT reps with 1s but Barclay did get one. #Packers

1 IS BETTER THAN NONE BUT NEWHOUSE IS NOT GOING TO BE WORRIED ABOUT THAT

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 13s
Josh Boyd up slow after FB five on goal line

OH NO

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 31s
Two stops by Sam Barrington to end the drive. Stuffed Lacy on final snap.

GOING TO BE INTERESTING TO SEE HIM IN PRESEASON

Jordan Miller gets props for disrupting Lacy run.

REMEMBER TO LOOK HIM UP ON ROSTER

Joemailman
08-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Tyler Dunne @TyDunne
James Campen all over Bakhtiari for forgetting to go in.

9:52 AMTwitterTom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
Bakhtiari just caught an earful for not getting into the huddle fast enough. Trying to keep him humble.

At least he's not selfish.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Franklin nice speed around right end in blitz period.

Johnathan Franklin can move, man. Got right corner on run in next team period and outran House. #Packers

IF HE CAN PASS BLOCK, WATCH OUT THIRD DOWN

Datko false starts at LT and is pulled.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1m
In blitz period, Coleman overthrows Walker and then underthrows Boykin.

QB INTERPOLATION

Lacy and Newhouse with a nice double team block on blitzing Nick Perry.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 41s
Newhouse, Barclay both getting RT reps with No 1s.

I HOPE THAT WASN'T A STRAY PLURAL 'S' THERE MIKE

Joemailman
08-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Lacy misses his block on Donte Savage. Rodgers would have gotten hit.

A guy named Lacy trying to block a guy named Savage? Doesn't seem fair.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Starks getting fewer reps but still looking good. Nice gain every time he touches the ball.

ONE PREDICTION CLOSER TO TRUE

Harrell clearly looks better than Coleman today.

BUT COLEMAN IS BIGGER, TOUGHER, TALLER AND HEAVIER

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1m
Bostick drops Rodgers pass in end zone.

HAS ANYONE HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT TES OTHER THAN FINLEY?

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 52s
Brandon Smith jars ball loose from James Jones' grasp in the end zone. Lattimore talking trash to Jones from the back.

UNWISE. JONES PROBABLY BIGGER THAN LATTIMORE AT THIS STAGE

CB Brandon Smith great breakup vs. James jones in end zone continuing his strong pay.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 16s
Team reps thus far: Harrell 14, Rodgers 12, Coleman 11 and Young 1 #packers

RODGERS FIGHTING FOR JOB

Joemailman
08-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 6m
Davon House is there on a Coleman fade to the end zone. He's been looking better since returning.

Is Tramon in danger of becoming irrelevant?

Joemailman
08-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Tyler Dunne @TyDunne
Randall Cobb out, with a bag of ice over his shoulder.

Everybody get hysterical!

Joemailman
08-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Tyler Dunne @TyDunne
In 7 on 7, Jarrett Bush breaks up a pass to Williams in the end zone and TE wants a flag.

As does Red.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 30s
Randall Cobb out, with a bag of ice over his shoulder.

HOPEFULLY JUST WORN OUT FROM AUTOGRAPHS

Every starting O lineman won his first matchup, including Bakhtiari vs. Nate Palmer.

Even Datko beat Dezman Moses.

THIS IS LIKE THE FREE THROW SHOOTER WHO HASN'T MISSED IN 11 ATTEMPTS HAVING THAT FACTOID PUT UP ON THE SCREEN. YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

Bakhtiari handles Clay Matthews, who tries one move and then retreats.

CONFUSED I AM

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 51s
Raji showed impressive quickness to beat Patrick Lewis in one on ones.

I WOULD BE HAPPY BUT ITS PATRICK LEWIS

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 51s
Bakhtiari another good set vs Mulumba. He really anchors well.

NEW POSTER THEME FOR BAKHTIARI, STRONG, ANCHORS, HAS LENGTH BUT TROUBLE IN SPACE. RUN WITH IT.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Lori Nickel ‏@LoriNickel 10m
Red Batty with a band aid for a young Packers fan. then a wristband. then a hat. http://twitpic.com/d6tz6q

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/797536610.jpg?1375801964

BUT WHAT IS THE STICK WITH JAMES JONES FACE ON IT?

wist43
08-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Lacy misses his block on Donte Savage. Rodgers would have gotten hit.

A guy named Lacy trying to block a guy named Savage? Doesn't seem fair.

lol

I actually like what I saw of Savage during his pro day - it was the only film of him I could find.

If anyone has a link to some game film of Savage, send it on... intriguing guy.

Joemailman
08-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 6m
In 1-on-1 pass rush, Packers new LT David Bakhtiari beat Nate Palmer, Jarvis Reed, Clay Matthews and Johnny Jolly in his four reps.

Okay, but only 1 of those really count.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Bakhtaran faces Jolly from a wide rush and handles him with ease.

PANIC SUBSIDING SOMEWHAT

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 41s
Without Cobb, Ross takes first KOR reps

C'MON ROSS TAKE THIS JOB

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 35s
Hines No. 2 on KOR. James Nixon No. 3.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 10m
Newhouse works at RT with 1s to start team red zone period.

JEDI MIND TRICK::THIS IS NOT THE RT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 9m
The Vince Young Era has begun. (Hands ball off to Starks...)

SENSING A THEME HERE

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 7m
Johnny Jolly just dropped into coverage.

BEST DLINE DB EVER

If It were up to me, Lacy would be my starting halfback, Harrell No 2 QB and Bakhtiari starting LT.

OTHER THAN TOM OATES, THERE IS NO GREATER ARBITER OF CONVENTIONAL MEDIA WISDOM IN WISCONSIN THAN APPLESAUCE. I FIND IT DISTURBING I AGREE WITH HIM ON ALL THREE POINTS

Joemailman
08-06-2013, 10:55 AM
lol

I actually like what I saw of Savage during his pro day - it was the only film of him I could find.

If anyone has a link to some game film of Savage, send it on... intriguing guy.

Not sure how effective he's been overall. I saw him up close at practice the other day though, and he's got an incredible physique. Packers list him at 6-1, 252. He's got a chance to grab the last OLB spot.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 4m
Also, with Cobb out, Boykin got extra snaps during the final drive and had a pair of very good catches. Made most of opportunity.

Jolly came out at the end but was stretching calves

Franklin getting halfback reps with 1s.

Rodgers. Finley. Touchdown. Hyde in coverage before that Rodgers to Boykin, who gets drilled by McMillian.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 4m
Jolly limping noticeably At end of practice

NOW WE WAIT FOR MCCARTHY

Joemailman
08-06-2013, 11:02 AM

Rodgers. Finley. Touchdown.

When did Ray Scott show up for practice?

Joemailman
08-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Also, with Cobb out, Boykin got extra snaps during the final drive and had a pair of very good catches. Made most of opportunity.

People outside of Packer Nation don't know who Boykin is. They'll find out. Runs good routes and Rodgers trusts him.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 11:22 AM
McCarthy Post Practice August 6

MM: Bulaga doesn't even look like he's injured. One of those plays you don't understand.

STILL WAITING ON 2ND OPINION

INjury happened on seventh play (Bulaga)

McCarthy, asked by @RobDemovsky if Bulaga could play with a torn ACL: "The decision hasn't been finalized. He's looking at all his options."

I DOUBT THAT IS AS OPEN A QUESTION AS M3 ANSWER LOOKS

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 3m
Nelson out thru training camp after knee surgery. Hoping for Week 1.

WHY LET THIS RIDE ALL OFFSEASON? HAS TO BE TORN CARTILAGE

MM: Barclay has been moved around a lot, but we need to look at maybe not moving him as much.

I THINK THIS WOULD TEND TO MEAN, IF THEY FOLLOW THROUGH WITH IT, THAT MORE O LINEMAN WOULD BE ON THE ROSTER CLOSER TO 10 THAN 7 OR 8 PREVIOUSLY SEEN

pbmax
08-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3m
McCarthy on Barclay: Been moved around a lot. ...But we need to probably look at not moving him as much. Opportunities at RG/RT.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 3m
Young and getting D ready for option/running QBs: MM sidesteps but says offensive system "will absorb" his strengths.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 3m
McCarthy on Young: "We're back to Square One. He's learning a new language. There's some carryover from Philadelphia."

MM: Vince Young, you touch on footwork. Way he'll be coached will be different than he showed in workout. Don't want to spend majority wi...

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2m
MM: Adding Young more about competition than critique of other two QBs. Thought Harrell played well. Coleman didn't take step forward.

McCarthy on QBs: "BJ did not take the step I was hoping for. (But) I'm not giving up on BJ Coleman. I think he has a bright future."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2m
Bakhtiari at left instead of Newhouse: MM knows what Newhouse can do at LT and Barclay can do at RT. Creating opportunities.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m
Packers coach Mike McCarthy tells reporters Bulaga is hoping to play thru torn ACL. Team believed his season was over. But... Mankins did it

MM: I think Vince has ability to help us prepare for read-option. Important for any quarrtterback not starting, that's your work. Put a...

MM: Running game in scrimmage took a step forward. Thought we ran the ball particularly well. I thought backs did a good job getting to...

Green's knee flared up yesterday. "It's something he has to battle."

Guiness
08-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Of the 16 #Packers not practicing seven are on PUP and have not suited up yet. Nine are injuries suffered in camp.

Trying to come up with a pbmax-esque snarky comment about this, but all I have is shock. Let me say is again:16 guys out. 9 injuries.

And what is with the comments about him maybe playing with a torn ACL? I'm I missing something? How is that even possible? And we all saw how the Redskins were crucified for putting RG3 back in there with a damaged ACL, causing the injury to become 10x worse.

Guiness
08-06-2013, 11:38 AM
MM: Running game in scrimmage took a step forward. Thought we ran the ball particularly well. I thought backs did a good job getting to...

Green's knee flared up yesterday. "It's something he has to battle."

These two comments make it look really bad for Green. I think he's getting replaced.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 11m
MM: Alex Green's knee flared up yesterday. Something he has to battle.

MM: It will be week to week with Ryan Taylor (knee). It's hard to judge that with players. Ryan will definitely be on the short end.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 11:43 AM

People outside of Packer Nation don't know who Boykin is. They'll find out. Runs good routes and Rodgers trusts him.

That fourth down throw last year versus Vikings (was it?) really seems portentous now.

Joemailman
08-06-2013, 11:47 AM
And what is with the comments about him maybe playing with a torn ACL? I'm I missing something? How is that even possible? And we all saw how the Redskins were crucified for putting RG3 back in there with a damaged ACL, causing the injury to become 10x worse.

If it's only a partial tear, perhaps wearing a brace is a possibility. Of course, there's then the question of whether the brace is too restrictive to allow the knee to function properly.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 11:58 AM
If it's only a partial tear, perhaps wearing a brace is a possibility. Of course, there's then the question of whether the brace is too restrictive to allow the knee to function properly.

Players have done it. Was it Dixon who was the QB for the Oregon Duck? He played a bowl game without an ACL.

Logan Mankins did it as well, though not sure he went the whole season. Also Guard is different than Left Tackle.

Joemailman
08-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Players have done it. Was it Dixon who was the QB for the Oregon Duck? He played a bowl game without an ACL.

Logan Mankins did it as well, though not sure he went the whole season. Also Guard is different than Left Tackle.

Which knee is it? Can you do a kick-slide with a knee brace on?

pbmax
08-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Which knee is it? Can you do a kick-slide with a knee brace on?

All good questions, but don't know. Not sure its been mentioned.

run pMc
08-06-2013, 12:40 PM
If it's a partial tear, the recovery time is shorter...at least that's what I've heard. If that's the case they could put him on the IR-but-might-come-back list the NFL came up with last year. Either way, I'm not counting on Bulaga playing this year, and I can't imagine them starting him.

DuJuan Blair plays in the NBA and reportedly does not have ACLs in either knee. I suppose anything is possible, and it's OL, not WR, where guys play really beat up all the time...but still.

Giving Bahktiari first crack at LT makes sense. Barclay at RG/RT, Van Roten at LG/C are your backups. Datko has sounded shaky so far, but maybe getting more reps at LT (IMO he belongs at T, not G) will help. I think they'll carry 8 OL this year. Does it come down to Datko or Sherrod as the backup LT...or Newhouse becomes the backup LT and Barclay slides in at RT?

The preseason contests will be very important for the OL.

As for VY, adding competition to the QBs is good, but I'm not really expecting him to make the roster. Sounds like another year on the PS for Coleman.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 02:24 PM

If only Ted had drafted Mankins he could show Bryan how to do it: http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130806/PKR0101/130806030

New England Patriots guard Logan Mankins tore his right ACL in a season-opener against the Miami Dolphins in 2011. He played in all 16 games during the regular season and throughout the Patriots’ run to the Super Bowl, where they lost to the New York Giants. Along the way, he also tore the medial collateral ligament in his left knee.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 31m
#Packers WR Randall Cobb was out of practice today for an injury to his biceps tendon. I'm told it's "not serious." So, that's good.

pittstang5
08-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 31m
#Packers WR Randall Cobb was out of practice today for an injury to his biceps tendon. I'm told it's "not serious." So, that's good.

Until we find out tomorrow it's a torn bicep and he's done for the year. Way things have been going, I wouldn't be surprised.

denverYooper
08-07-2013, 08:12 AM
It's the curse of Rock Gullickson.