PDA

View Full Version : Cable, Satalite, Cost

Partial
08-24-2006, 01:15 PM
What do you use and how much do you pay?

Partial
08-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Time Warner Cable, 45 bucks I believe, digital cable.

Tony Oday
08-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Direct TV, HBO, HD, Season Ticket average about 100 per month

pacfan
08-24-2006, 03:37 PM
direct TV,all movie channels, HDTV package, three receivers.

105/mo

GBRulz
08-24-2006, 03:55 PM
I had satellite and was very happy with it until last year. It seemed to be going out more and more. Rain would make it go out....so I called Time Warner Cable and asked what kind of deals they had going on.....

$39.99 a month, first month free of Digital cable. The normal rate of digital cable is $62 a month. I think next month my 12 months are up. I don't watch enough TV to justify spending that much money a month. I think I may just go to basic cable (channels 1-75) which is like $43 per month.

once nice thing about competition though, is that you can just say "hey I'm leaving for satellite unless you keep me at my current rate" and they probably will do it..... the cable and phone companies are in a major price war....

Bretsky
08-24-2006, 06:12 PM
I pay around $95 per month with taxes included

Receive

Charter Cable
Expanded Cable Channels
All of HBO, Starz, and Skinemax

K-town
08-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Time-Warner Cable:
Road Runner Internet Service
Digital Cable with DVR
HBO and Showtime
Phone service thru Time-Warner
All for the low-low price OF...$146 (and change)

retailguy
08-25-2006, 09:05 PM
direct Tv with football package. $47 per month + $240? for the football.

I'm stunned with all the people paying a "c" note or more for TV.... Wow.

red
08-25-2006, 09:13 PM
direct TV, and it sucks

if the wind blows, it goes out, if it rains, it goes out, if it snows, it goes out

and i'm in the up, it never does anything but those 3 things

i started having problems with the boxes loosing the signal then taking forever to refind it, and the stupid things would just turn off on their own. i called them, they said it was the boxes and sent new ones, and charged me for shipping. the problem didn't go away. i called and they sent someone out and charged me for the service call. the problem didn't go away. then i got charged for a bunch of things they said i wouldn't be charged for. so i had to call again and bitch and got them to take half the charges away

and the problems are still there

I HATE DIRECT TV, i'd get basic cable in a second for a 1/4 of the price if they f$cking ran cable out here in the sticks

TV's my friend, but its a real bitch a lot of the time

digitaldean
08-25-2006, 09:17 PM
I had satellite and was very happy with it until last year. It seemed to be going out more and more. Rain would make it go out....so I called Time Warner Cable and asked what kind of deals they had going on.....

$39.99 a month, first month free of Digital cable. The normal rate of digital cable is $62 a month. I think next month my 12 months are up. I don't watch enough TV to justify spending that much money a month. I think I may just go to basic cable (channels 1-75) which is like $43 per month.

once nice thing about competition though, is that you can just say "hey I'm leaving for satellite unless you keep me at my current rate" and they probably will do it..... the cable and phone companies are in a major price war....

Had Dish myself. Had it installed in fall a few yrs. ago. Was great until the next spring came and leaves got on the trees. Found out that there was a tree on city property obstructing the view enough on my dish to make it useless. Couldn't install it anywhere else without it having same issue.

Switched back to TW and got the Dig. Cable till the 1 yr expired. Now have standard cable and Road Runner for around $90/month.

I do freelance web design so I can write off the RR.

GBRulz
08-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Dean, it sounds like you got that 12 month digital cable promo like i did. Did you call them and ask if they would keep that price or you will go back to Dish? I might try that.

My DSL contract with SBC, err, AT&T now, is about to expire, so i called them and said I wanted the rate they are advertising on TV ($17.99). they said, sorry it's for new customers only, but we can give it to you for $2 extra over that. So i said fine as I was paying $28 a month. I had Road Runner for 3 years, speed was so slow at times. switched to DSL about 2 years ago and love it. Getting their 3MB package for $19.99 a month.

i work in telecommunications, I know the price war going on....just call up your provider and say you found a better deal and chances are, they'll give you some type of deal because they don't want to lose you as a customer.

digitaldean
08-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Dean, it sounds like you got that 12 month digital cable promo like i did. Did you call them and ask if they would keep that price or you will go back to Dish? I might try that.

My DSL contract with SBC, err, AT&T now, is about to expire, so i called them and said I wanted the rate they are advertising on TV ($17.99). they said, sorry it's for new customers only, but we can give it to you for $2 extra over that. So i said fine as I was paying $28 a month. I had Road Runner for 3 years, speed was so slow at times. switched to DSL about 2 years ago and love it. Getting their 3MB package for $19.99 a month.

i work in telecommunications, I know the price war going on....just call up your provider and say you found a better deal and chances are, they'll give you some type of deal because they don't want to lose you as a customer.

No I didn't call TW after the promo expired.

I was considering switching to DSL. My home office (where I'd need the DSL hooked up) is essentially a section of an unfinished basement. I'd have to find a way to get the DSL modem hooked up to the main level.

Also, I only have 1 line coming in. I don't want to get a second line and I don't want the line interference from phone usage to affect DSL usage. Also, does the age/type of phone wiring matter. (sounds naive, I know) Just curious because I can do the self install and wouldn't mind getting the 3MB package myself if I can get it to work.

I have had no problems with my RR in Kimberly, but their price is pretty salty compared to DSL. I have heard problems some of my co-workers have had in billing with AT&T (overheard a rather loud discussion yesterday re:overbilling at work in fact). Used to be able to use a "baker's dozen" program here in Fox Valley, paid for a year in advance and got a month free. Worked great till TW discontinued it. Now it's got me started looking.

GBRulz
08-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Dean, AT&T's DSL will piggy back on your current phone line, so you won't need to run separate wiring. You will not have any interference between using your phone and your DSL. They give you what are called splitters. It's basically a very small device that you plug into the phone jack and the other end has two outputs, one for phone, one for your modem to plug into.

I bought their wireless modem, which was $49 I think at the time. My office is also in my basement, which is where the modem sits. But I still have full strength on my signal when I take my laptop upstairs or even outside to work. (outside may lose 1 bar on the signal strength). When I had my wireless network for cable, I had to buy a separate router. That's not the case anymore with AT&T's wireless modem because it has router and firewall capabilities built right into it.

Yes, AT&T is one of the worst companies for billing people incorrectly, although personally I have never had a problem. Knock on wood.

If the lines are bad, then just cancel the service. They can't make you keep a service that doesn't work!

Little Whiskey
08-26-2006, 12:39 PM
and Skinemax

SHOCKING!!! :shock: :shock: