PDA

View Full Version : Ahman Green A RB Coaching Intern?

Maxie the Taxi
07-28-2013, 12:40 PM
From JS Online:

■ Former Packers RB Ahman Green is assisting the coaching staff this summer as part of the minority intern program.

From PackersNews.com:

Ahman Green’s role?: The standard internship, he’s working exclusively with Alex Van Pelt and the running backs.

http://prod.static.packers.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/GB/photos/persons/coach-cards/Van-Pelt_Alex.jpg

Van Pelt is an ex-quarterback and QB coach. Which begs the question why is he coaching RB's? (Maybe because he's MM's illegitimate offspring? The resemblance is uncanny.) All of which answers the question: Why is Ahman Green an intern coach for RB's?

red
07-28-2013, 01:42 PM
why is edgar bennet the WR coach?

i like giving green a chance to coach. maybe the young guys will listen more to a guy who knows exactly what he's talking about over fatty van pelt

Maxie the Taxi
07-28-2013, 01:50 PM
why is edgar bennet the WR coach?

i like giving green a chance to coach. maybe the young guys will listen more to a guy who knows exactly what he's talking about over fatty van pelt

I like the idea of Green coaching as well. I think you always listen more to a guy who's been there and done that. Edgar Bennet as WR coach makes a little sense since our receivers specialize in YAC. But a QB coaching RB's is kind of perplexing.

Patler
07-28-2013, 02:21 PM
MM identifies those coaches who have the aspirations and ability to move into roles as coordinators or head coaches, and tries to diversify their experiences; just as other coaches did for him. McCarthy is a former TE who coached receivers and QBs before becoming an OC and HC. If a former TE can coach QBs, why can't a former QB coach RB's; a former RB coach WR's, and a former center start out coaching OL, move to RB's and then to TE's?

Guiness
07-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Didn't Bennet coach RBs before? I thought his move to WR coach was considered a promotion.

Joemailman
07-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Didn't Bennet coach RBs before? I thought his move to WR coach was considered a promotion.

Correct.

It's pretty common for position coaches to eventually coach a different position than the one they played. Not that I necessarily want to see Kevin Greene coaching wide receivers....although that might be entertaining.

Maxie the Taxi
07-28-2013, 04:30 PM
MM identifies those coaches who have the aspirations and ability to move into roles as coordinators or head coaches, and tries to diversify their experiences; just as other coaches did for him. McCarthy is a former TE who coached receivers and QBs before becoming an OC and HC. If a former TE can coach QBs, why can't a former QB coach RB's; a former RB coach WR's, and a former center start out coaching OL, move to RB's and then to TE's?

I'm still skeptical of this system. Our DB coach is a former WR. Maybe this system is why our DB's don't know how to tackle and our WR's drop passes. ;-)

pbmax
07-28-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm still skeptical of this system. Our DB coach is a former WR. Maybe this system is why our DB's don't know how to tackle and our WR's drop passes. ;-)

Happens all the time. O line and D line might have most exceptions. However, Holmgren used to tell his O line coaches if they wanted to move up the ladder, they needed to coach TEs to get a hand into the passing game.

red
07-28-2013, 06:22 PM
wasn't it last year that andy reid took his d-line coach and made him o-cord or some damn thing like that?

i remember it was a massive failure

pbmax
07-28-2013, 06:27 PM
wasn't it last year that andy reid took his d-line coach and made him o-cord or some damn thing like that?

i remember it was a massive failure

It was in the first year. Coordinator jobs are much harder especially if you are calling the game.

The dumber thing about the move was firing the guy in the middle of the following year. His defense had improved measurably and was top half of the League I think. But they had a couple of late game breakdowns so that no one paid attention to the below anemic offense that D was trying to support.

The Eagles should have kept Castro and dumped Reid instead.

Fritz
07-30-2013, 09:03 AM
How can any coach become a head coach if he only ever coaches one position? It's silly to think anything could work that way.

And former players don't always make the best coaches, especially superstar players.