PDA

View Full Version : If I Were the Packers General Manager (And Thank God I'm Not!)

The Shadow
08-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Every year I spend countless time wondering how the Packers can best squeeze out a 53 man roster. And every year I agonize over the decisions that have to be made - and the good players that have to go.
Here is what i would consider to make best use of a 53 man roster :

1. John Kuhn : what exactly does Kuhn - or any fullback these days - do? Four things : pass protect for the quarterback, catch short swing passes, run about once or twice a game (mostly to try to catch the defense napping) and run really hard into the line attempting to clear a path for a running back.
Would it really be so difficult : to train a backup linebacker - who is the really about same size - to handle these chores? Could not a Francois or Lattimore catch a 5 yard toss? Slam into the line attempting to make a lane? Occasionally gain 2 yards up the middle? Learn to stop a blitzing safety?
For that matter, couldn't even a rotational DL like Mike Daniels learn to bang into the line to clear a lane?

If this could be done, another precious roster spot opens up.

2. The 'Blocking TE'. Exact same thing - do you really think a backup LB - or OL ccouldn't learn to run a 5 -10 yard pattern? And wouldn't a 300 lb. OL be a better blocker than a 250 lb TE?
I fully expect the Pack to keep 4 TE s this year - but again, reducing it by 1 opens another precious roster spot. Yeah, yeah, I know the backups seem to be good special teams guys - but LB s have the same amount of athleticism.

3. Long Snapper : Why on earth can't your backup Center be groomed as a Long Snapper?

ROSTER SPOTS!!!!!!

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2013, 05:59 PM
3. Long Snapper : Why on earth can't your backup Center be groomed as a Long Snapper?

Our backup center, Barclay, can't even make a shotgun snap and you want him to snap on punts and FGs?

Maxie the Taxi
08-02-2013, 06:13 PM
In the old days Hornung was the PK and Max McGee was the P. Bingo! Two more spots. We could at least get a PK who could punt. Net one spot.

Another idea. Put Alex Gillette on the roster and he could double as the backup QB. Net one spot.

The Shadow
08-02-2013, 07:04 PM
You've never heard of The Peter Principle?

hoosier
08-02-2013, 07:41 PM
In the old days Hornung was the PK and Max McGee was the P. Bingo! Two more spots. We could at least get a PK who could punt. Net one spot.

Another idea. Put Alex Gillette on the roster and he could double as the backup QB. Net one spot.

Good point. Let's go back to the days of FG kickers making 40% of their kicks :-)

Patler
08-02-2013, 08:25 PM

In those days, the roster was 40. Having a Don Chandler really shorted you somewhere else.

I don't see a need to create more spots. The Packers have had enough space to do some fairly strange things many years, like two punters, three fullbacks, five TEs, ten O-line.

pbmax
08-02-2013, 09:26 PM
There will never be enough roster spots for 2 punters.

Pugger
08-03-2013, 08:10 AM
There will never be enough roster spots for 2 punters.

Or 2 place kickers. Just ask Mike Sherman. ;-)

Maxie the Taxi
08-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Curly Lambeau was a player/coach. Maybe M3 could learn to play center.

Iron Mike
08-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Curly Lambeau was a player/coach. Maybe M3 could learn to play center.

I thought he was a TE. I bet it was for blocking, 'cuz I don't know how he could look passes in with his eyes going in separate directions.