PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp - Finley

packers11
08-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Sorry had to do this, usually there is a lot more news on a player like Finley from the media / fans. I've been scrolling through the past week and reading all different reports, how is he looking?

per rotoworld.

Tight ends coach Jerry Fontenot said Jermichael Finley seems "really dialed in." Jul 18 - 9:37 AM

Coach Mike McCarthy said Jermichael Finley is "having a heck of a camp." Aug 1 - 12:16 PM

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, receptions have been "few and far between" for Jermichael Finley at Packers camp.
"He just hasn't seen the ball much," per the paper. No explanation was provided. Aug 3 - 11:24 AM

So how is someone having a heck of a camp who isnt supposedly seeing the ball? I am a supporter of Finley, and I think he finally got his head on straight which could turn him into a top TE.

pittstang5
08-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Players like Finley rarely change who they are, attitude/personality-wise. He's borderline diva. Just so happens he's been quiet so far. That'll change, its just a matter of time.

All I want him to do is catch the ball and block when needed. After this year he can move on to another team.

bobblehead
08-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Sorry had to do this, usually there is a lot more news on a player like Finley from the media / fans. I've been scrolling through the past week and reading all different reports, how is he looking?

per rotoworld.

So how is someone having a heck of a camp who isnt supposedly seeing the ball? I am a supporter of Finley, and I think he finally got his head on straight which could turn him into a top TE.

I am a firm believer that a TE who can't block is useless. Last year Finley came in light...too light to block well. He wants to be a WR. He isn't. Perhaps the coaches are making a point by not throwing him many balls in camp. Perhaps he will be ready to block come opening day.

mission
08-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Saw some pictures of him and he looks a lot bigger / thicker... serious look on the face. Maybe he turns into a monster as he matures. Remember, he came into the league VERY early.

Not saying he's going to turn into a Driver model citizen, but he's going to mature (that's what happens right?)... how much, we'll see.

pbmax
08-03-2013, 06:03 PM
He has been having a good camp, but not because he has been featured. When he has had his chance, he has caught the ball well. Rodgers has commented on this and he made the TD catch over 2 defenders last night to end the 2 minute drill and the practice. He has made a couple of Twitter mentions on his catches in 7v7 and team drills.

He hasn't been in the news outside of that, because he is not screwing up.

The only two times he has made the daily updates are his first appearance with media in the locker room and that was notable for the fact that Finley had gone full "Bull Durham" and was repeating canned quotes. According to Wilde, that has been his M.O. since the meeting with Rodgers at mid-season last year.

The other news was his weight. He is back up to his former playing weight, possibly even above, having gained back the weight he lost last year.

Having not seen him, I think the signs are promising. The most common mention is his ability to take the ball down when covered, which wasn't something we saw a lot of after his injury or at all last year.

But if you don't believe me from a distance, read Joe who was at a practice: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25663-Camp-Reports-2013-or-Oh-No-That-Doesn-t-Look-Good&p=731739&viewfull=1#post731739

I was at practice today. As Wilde alluded to, sloppy practice. Sure MM was not happy.

Finley looks great. And by that, I mean the extra weight makes him look and move like the 2009 Finley.
I'll be surprised if McMillian isn't the starting SS.
Franklin looks really dangerous, especially when catching the ball.
Ross seemed to be getting a lot of reps. See what he does on Family Night.

MadtownPacker
08-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Brandon hasn't shown up to tell us all he told us so?

pbmax
08-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Brandon hasn't shown up to tell us all he told us so?

It was only a brief window. Finley had a drop last night. :)

Pugger
08-04-2013, 12:54 PM
The pass from Rodgers to JF wasn't Aaron's best of the night.

MadtownPacker
08-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Hopefully Finley's sister doesn't have a Twitter account. :lol:

Patler
08-04-2013, 08:29 PM

Was it catchable? If "yes" (I didn't see it); then he should have caught it. They are not paying him to catch only the perfect throws.

Pugger
08-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Was it catchable? If "yes" (I didn't see it); then he should have caught it. They are not paying him to catch only the perfect throws.

To me it looked like it was behind Finley and he had to stop and reach for it.

Fritz
08-05-2013, 07:36 AM
PB had a detailed account of that play in another thread.

To me, that one was on Rodgers. It's one of his very, very few faults as a QB. There is a fine line between waiting too long to see something longer break open for a big play, and playing too safe and going all Christian Ponder on the team by throwing five yard passes every play. Rodgers suffers from the former - even in games in which he's got a back or TE open for five to eight yards on a second and seven, he'll wait and wait and wait and wait to try to get the big play. And those plays are lower percentage. For people like me who prefer more ball control, that's a problem.

Patler
08-05-2013, 08:17 AM
To me, that one was on Rodgers. It's one of his very, very few faults as a QB. There is a fine line between waiting too long to see something longer break open for a big play, and playing too safe and going all Christian Ponder on the team by throwing five yard passes every play. Rodgers suffers from the former - even in games in which he's got a back or TE open for five to eight yards on a second and seven, he'll wait and wait and wait and wait to try to get the big play. And those plays are lower percentage. For people like me who prefer more ball control, that's a problem.

So because the QB waited too long and threw less than a perfect pass, our nearly $9,000,000.00 tight end is excused for not catching it? I can't agree with that. One of the reasons for paying top dollar at skill positions at the receiving ends of Rodgers throws is to allow him to do occasionally just what he apparently did on that play, look for the big hitter, and either take a less than perfect chance on it, or take something else at the last second.

While I can agree to give a "minus" to Rodgers on the play, it doesn't excuse Finley for not making a play himself.

As pb said in another thread, for some reason these disconnects seem to happen more between Rodgers and Finley than between Rodgers and anyone else.

Fritz
08-05-2013, 09:45 AM
So because the QB waited too long and threw less than a perfect pass, our nearly $9,000,000.00 tight end is excused for not catching it? I can't agree with that. One of the reasons for paying top dollar at skill positions at the receiving ends of Rodgers throws is to allow him to do occasionally just what he apparently did on that play, look for the big hitter, and either take a less than perfect chance on it, or take something else at the last second.

While I can agree to give a "minus" to Rodgers on the play, it doesn't excuse Finley for not making a play himself.

As pb said in another thread, for some reason these disconnects seem to happen more between Rodgers and Finley than between Rodgers and anyone else.

I would argue that one of the reasons you pay your QB 20 mill a year is because he puts his receivers in a good position to catch the ball.

pbmax
08-05-2013, 09:54 AM
I think both perspectives point to issues. We all know about Finley's hands, but Rodgers frequently waits too long on checkdowns and is unable to avail himself of them. I think that is one of the things that hurts him versus the Cover 2.

In a way, Finley is the worst TE for Rodgers from the security blanket angle. It discourages him from using him short routes early (or maybe encourages him to extend plays because of Finley's athleticism, either way).

If the TE was someone who could only get open short but had stickum for hands (Calvin Hill, old Ozzie Newsome, Chmura, Todd Christensen, Crabtree, Toolbox West) it might be simpler.

Patler
08-05-2013, 10:12 AM
I would argue that one of the reasons you pay your QB 20 mill a year is because he puts his receivers in a good position to catch the ball.

I don't disagree with that, which is why I said Rodgers gets a "minus". But so does Finley. He doesn't get a pass just because maybe Rodgers wasn't perfect on the play. That's what makes championship caliber teams, when one guy is less than perfect, the next picks him up.

denverYooper
08-05-2013, 10:24 AM
I don't disagree with that, which is why I said Rodgers gets a "minus". But so does Finley. He doesn't get a pass just because maybe Rodgers wasn't perfect on the play. That's what makes championship caliber teams, when one guy is less than perfect, the next picks him up.

Eli Manning agrees.

Bretsky
08-05-2013, 09:50 PM
I think Finley is going to have a stellar year this year