PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young?

Jimx29
08-05-2013, 01:34 AM
Got to admit I wouldn't of ever guessed this scenario happening

Vince Young To Try Out For Packers Monday (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/23017579/report-vince-young-to-try-out-for-packers-on-monday)

RashanGary
08-05-2013, 03:07 AM
I'd like to see the experiment.

Joemailman
08-05-2013, 05:55 AM
Was Coleman that bad the other night?

George Cumby
08-05-2013, 06:28 AM
WTF?

Fritz
08-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Can he play left tackle?

pbmax
08-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Was Coleman that bad the other night?

Not that bad, but not ready by any means. He has the arm and moved away from pressure better, but his decision making was questionable.

So he and Vince have something in common.

Bossman641
08-05-2013, 08:04 AM
This is certainly baffling news. I mean, the rumor way back during the 2006 draft was that TT was very high on Hawk, but why now?

pbmax
08-05-2013, 08:15 AM
This is certainly baffling news. I mean, the rumor way back during the 2006 draft was that TT was very high on Hawk, but why now?

Perhaps your questions answered here. Normally a pay site, this one is a freebie: http://gnb.scout.com/2/1312957.html

Thompson and M3 talk about Vince Young.

Bossman641
08-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Perhaps your questions answered here. Normally a pay site, this one is a freebie: http://gnb.scout.com/2/1312957.html

Thompson and M3 talk about Vince Young.

So they see him as a possible short term signing to help the D prepare for Kap and RG3? Interesting.

Packers4Glory
08-05-2013, 09:06 AM
nothing to lose. I look at M3 as a guy who can potentially turn any talented QB into a more than serviceable player if given some time and the player is willing to learn.

pbmax
08-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 9m
Interesting note from @AdamSchefter: #Packers thought about bringing in VY before camp but didnt. Will work out this afternoon

Cheesehead Craig
08-05-2013, 10:17 AM
When you have to defend the read option you sign Vince Young
When you sign Vince Young, you end up playing him in a game to confuse the defense
When you play him, he leads a 579 yard explosion
When he leads a 579 yard explosion you have rbaloha and Partial come back and join forces with an avalanche of "I told you so" posts
When rbaloha and Partial join forces you have to drink a lot of whiskey to be able to read the site
When you drink a lot of whiskey, your liver gives out and you die.

Don't sign Vince Young and die.

MadtownPacker
08-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Can he play left tackle?
The picture I saw of him in SI mag a few months back makes me think yes he can.

Nice work Craig!

pbmax
08-05-2013, 11:22 AM

But he IS a game changer.

Zool
08-05-2013, 12:20 PM
But he IS a game changer.

He has "IT" and will win a lot of games in the NFL over his career.

Upnorth
08-05-2013, 01:45 PM
When you sign Vince Young, you end up playing him in a game to confuse the defense
When he leads a 579 yard explosion you have rbaloha and Partial come back and join forces with an avalanche of "I told you so" posts
When rbaloha and Partial join forces you have to drink a lot of whiskey to be able to read the site

BUt what of the inevitable qb controversy with everyone wanting VY to start over Arron whats his name, then we have to start a Aaron Rodgers teh Living Legend thread, packerrats civil war insues and madtown starts a hidden moderator named Joe to lead us in a short term soap opera.

Actually now that I look at it SIGN VY, these are teh days of our packerrats lives

Pugger
08-05-2013, 01:53 PM
NOBODY is gonna want Vince Young to start over the best player - let alone QB - in the league.

From what I understand we bring people in all the time for a look-see but this time the player is one that folks recognized, that's all. If he's better than Harrell and Coleman I have no problem with it. It costs us nothing to take a peek.

Patler
08-05-2013, 03:33 PM
All kidding aside, I think Young could be an interesting backup QB. I think I would feel better with him than with either Harrell or Coleman.

hoosier
08-05-2013, 03:38 PM
NOBODY is gonna want Vince Young to start over the best player - let alone QB - in the league.

From what I understand we bring people in all the time for a look-see but this time the player is one that folks recognized, that's all. If he's better than Harrell and Coleman I have no problem with it. It costs us nothing to take a peek.

Don't be naive, there is no such thing as a free peek.

But seriously, the Packers seem to be trying every trick in the bag to motivate Coleman: praise his off season development, let him know they want him to win the backup job, then just as quickly let him know he could be out the door if his decision making doesn't improve this week. The JSO reporters all describe him as confident-to-cocky, so maybe his psyche can hold up on the roller coaster.

Patler
08-05-2013, 03:48 PM
But seriously, the Packers seem to be trying every trick in the bag to motivate Coleman: praise his off season development, let him know they want him to win the backup job, then just as quickly let him know he could be out the door if his decision making doesn't improve this week. The JSO reporters all describe him as confident-to-cocky, so maybe his psyche can hold up on the roller coaster.

Interesting point. Didn't he make some comment about best 7th round pick ever, or something to that effect?

Maybe Young will be Exhibit A for the proposition that the league waits for no one more than a reasonable time. From top of the heap when drafted to bottom of the scrap heap just a few years later. Coleman has even less opportunity.

hoosier
08-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I think he said he was going to be the best 7th round pick in Packers history. (I wonder if he knew who his competition would be when he said that....) Regardless of what he might bring as a backup, VY definitely makes for a good lesson to youth--and you don't even have to sign him, just bring him in for a "visit."

LP
08-05-2013, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=hoosier;732045]

But seriously, the Packers seem to be trying every trick in the bag to motivate Coleman: QUOTE]

I would think this would be more of a move to motivate Harrell. This is what, year 4 for Harrell and only 2 for Coleman? Seems to me that it's time for Harrell to shit or get off the pot.

Freak Out
08-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Why not bring the guy in for a workout? See if he is serious about being a teammate again. The guy is not going to start and he "should" know that and keep his mouth shut. Do what is asked of you and work hard. If he shows he hasn't grown up what's the worry? Boot him.

Freak Out
08-05-2013, 05:05 PM
If the Packers sign him Tex might show back up. That alone would make it worth it. :)

Smeefers
08-05-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm alright with it, especially if he holds the ball for field goals. I like the threat of a fake.

Guiness
08-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Can he play left tackle?

No, if they wanted a left tackle they'd have gone looking for a different former first round QB, JaMarcus!

King Friday
08-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Who the hell cares? Maybe he has a good BBQ recipe that the Packers want for the Atrium.

pittstang5
08-05-2013, 05:55 PM
http://http://tracking.si.com/2013/08/05/packers-sign-vince-young-to-one-year-deal/ (http://tracking.si.com/2013/08/05/packers-sign-vince-young-to-one-year-deal/)

One year deal

pbmax
08-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Its gotta be read option prep first, then cheap acquisition of talent second. His film with Philly last year wasn't good. Unless they are very disappointed in Harrell and Coleman.

Mike Freeman and a Phillly writer both insist he is no longer the athlete he once was. Guess we'll see.

Fritz
08-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Well, apparently they've signed Young Vince Young.

Maybe he's the backup and they actually run him on a few plays, though I hate the idea they'd take snaps from Rodgers. That would be nuts.

Maybe he's just the backup, and the team hopes it can hide Coleman on the PS. Harrell, I dunno.

The Shadow
08-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Vince Young????
God help the Packers if Rodgers goes down.

cheesner
08-05-2013, 07:23 PM
He has "IT" and will win a lot of games in the NFL over his career.:grin:

Who was the Rat who called Rodger average but VY had "IT"?

Maybe they are getting real serious about defending the Pistol. They want VY so they can get the Defense used to chasing around a mobile QB. VY was always a pretty good QB, I think he can be a real good back up QB and I am interested in seeing what he can do.

Curiously, he recently defaulted on a payday cash loan of $1.9M. He made $34M in salary and another $30M in endorsements. Now let me ask you all, why would he need a payday cash loan? How can he go through $64M in 6 years? Why would any company provide that large of a payday cash loan? Is playing football motivated by a love for football or a need for a paycheck?

digitaldean
08-05-2013, 08:34 PM

You sound like a DirecTV commercial!

digitaldean
08-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Well, apparently they've signed Young Vince Young.

Maybe he's the backup and they actually run him on a few plays, though I hate the idea they'd take snaps from Rodgers. That would be nuts.

Maybe he's just the backup, and the team hopes it can hide Coleman on the PS. Harrell, I dunno.

I say that VY competes with Harrell for #2. If VY wins, Harrell is gone. Coleman can either be #3 or PS and Packers pick up a final cutdown-day QB.

Pugger
08-06-2013, 01:40 AM
Vince Young????
God help the Packers if Rodgers goes down.

Do you think Harrell and/or Coleman are better options?

gbgary
08-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Do you think Harrell and/or Coleman are better options?

thought the same thing. young is a veteran though and he's motivated. I'd feel better with him in the game if the unthinkable should happen.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Vince Young's record as an NFL starter is 30-17. If nothing else, that's a lot of experience to have for a backup, and he's only 30.

SkinBasket
08-06-2013, 07:57 AM
After a decade and a half, Ted finally signed a player with the "it" factor. This team is going places!

Pugger
08-06-2013, 08:42 AM
This is kinda funny. I remember last season folks were grousing about us not signing a vet backup QB instead of going with Harrell. Now TT does and folks still don't like it.

hoosier
08-06-2013, 09:07 AM
This is kinda funny. I remember last season folks were grousing about us not signing a vet backup QB instead of going with Harrell. Now TT does and folks still don't like it.

It may not be the same people. And in this case it kind of accentuates the desperation of yet another preseason injury epidemic, capped off by seeing your starting LT go down with a season-ending ACL tear. Signing Vince Young is kind of like putting your finger in the dike when there is a tsunami on the horizon.

Zool
08-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Signing Vince Young is kind of like putting your finger in the dike when there is a tsunami on the horizon.

Unless of course you are a female.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Well his debut was not stellar. Hit hit practice dummies while throwing to rbs in drills and in most team reps he handed off. He did launch one nice 35 yard shot to a WR. Its seems against his previous habit for McCarthy or Thompson to devote a roster spot to a player dedicated to to prep for 2 opponents during the season.

But from today's practice it wasn't clear why else he was here. Other than Coleman was nearly as bad.

denverYooper
08-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Well his debut was not stellar. Hit hit practice dummies while throwing to rbs in drills and in most team reps he handed off. He did launch one nice 35 yard shot to a WR. Its seems against his previous habit for McCarthy or Thompson to devote a roster spot to a player dedicated to to prep for 2 opponents during the season.

But from today's practice it wasn't clear why else he was here. Other than Coleman was nearly as bad.

Could just be a camp body at this point, with the bonus of helping them prepare some for the Niners in the opener.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Could just be a camp body at this point, with the bonus of helping them prepare some for the Niners in the opener.

Yes. M3 also all but flat said he needs remedial work on his footwork, but you don't want to spend all of his camp time on it.

So the simplest explanation might hold. He is there to scare Coleman and Harrell or take the #2 job.

Guiness
08-06-2013, 12:16 PM
He is intriguing. Dude won 30 games, that's not a fluke. The Packers had other high draft choice re-treads through (Tim Couch comes to mind, and there was another...it couldn't have been Leaf, was it???) but they were never-was's. Young has shown more, who knows what his potential is? It seems like he had a mental breakdown, but with no pressure at all to start in GB, he might do well.

RashanGary
08-06-2013, 12:20 PM
He is intriguing. Dude won 30 games, that's not a fluke. The Packers had other high draft choice re-treads through (Tim Couch comes to mind, and there was another...it couldn't have been Leaf, was it???) but they were never-was's. Young has shown more, who knows what his potential is? It seems like he had a mental breakdown, but with no pressure at all to start in GB, he might do well.

agree completely.

run pMc
08-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Well, we know VY won't trip and fumble on handoffs.

If they had brought VY in for QB school and whatnot then I think they could be more serious about this...he needs a lot of work on "his fundamentals". That said, he should be able to read *some* defenses and push the QBs for a spot. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Crazy athletic guy, even at 30, and especially compared to the Harrell & Coleman.
Not saying it's a "free" peek, but it's very low risk at this point and worth a shot. Also...if you're looking to FA for a QB at this point, he's probably your best option. (Matt Leinart, anyone?)

RashanGary
08-06-2013, 01:05 PM
I find him incredibly intriguing. I wasn't as gung ho as partial was, back in the day, but I thought VY really had an "it" factor too. He's a competitor and I think a natural leader when his head is on straight. He's 30, but I'd like to see him get a year in this offense, a full offseason and next year see what he has. I think he was a special player coming out of college. And I must admit, I do love the back-yard style football you get with running QB's. It's fun to watch, would make for some fun games if AR was down for a week or two.

Guiness
08-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Well, we know VY won't trip and fumble on handoffs.

If they had brought VY in for QB school and whatnot then I think they could be more serious about this...he needs a lot of work on "his fundamentals". That said, he should be able to read *some* defenses and push the QBs for a spot. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Crazy athletic guy, even at 30, and especially compared to the Harrell & Coleman.
Not saying it's a "free" peek, but it's very low risk at this point and worth a shot. Also...if you're looking to FA for a QB at this point, he's probably your best option. (Matt Leinart, anyone?)

Of course we've seen no contract details, but I doubt it's costing the Packers much for this look-see. I can't see him getting a signing bonus, soif he's not on the roster day one of the league year, he gets his TC stipend and that's it. There's quite a storm over at PFT over the signing of a backup QB that has very little chance of seeing the field though!
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/06/packers-officially-add-vince-young-to-the-mix/

Pugger
08-06-2013, 01:36 PM
It may not be the same people. And in this case it kind of accentuates the desperation of yet another preseason injury epidemic, capped off by seeing your starting LT go down with a season-ending ACL tear. Signing Vince Young is kind of like putting your finger in the dike when there is a tsunami on the horizon.

I don't know if signing Young was in any way related to all these freaking injuries. To me it was more the progress or lack there of of Coleman.

Patler
08-06-2013, 02:10 PM
The Packers had other high draft choice re-treads through (Tim Couch comes to mind, and there was another...it couldn't have been Leaf, was it???) but they were never-was's.

Rick Mirer 15-20 years ago.

Akili Smith was in the Packer camp a few years ago, wasn't he?

Smidgeon
08-06-2013, 02:17 PM

There was one point with Tim Couch in camp where an article was out boasting the Packers had backups with the most games started. So it was Tim Couch and somebody else, but I don't remember who. I think that was the year Eric Crouch tried to make it as a safety but couldn't as well...

pbmax
08-06-2013, 02:27 PM
The Philly reporters are on record that it looked like his physical gifts had diminished, but without having seen him play (and he did play in 2011) its hard to know whether that was system adjustment, conditioning or age.

Patler
08-06-2013, 02:37 PM
There was one point with Tim Couch in camp where an article was out boasting the Packers had backups with the most games started. So it was Tim Couch and somebody else, but I don't remember who. I think that was the year Eric Crouch tried to make it as a safety but couldn't as well...

Ya, Couch was a given. Do you mean anther one the same year as Couch?
Couch filed an injury grievance against the Packers, as I recall, claiming his noodle arm was due to an injury sustained early in camp.

pbmax
08-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Thompson interview today:

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 1h
TT: Felt like this is opportunity to take a look. Young was anxious to give it a try.

I think they just want to see what the guy can do. Upside signing. Said he, coaches and staff had long talk with him same day as workout. Seemed like he was in a good place.

Guiness
08-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Couch filed an injury grievance against the Packers, as I recall, claiming his noodle arm was due to an injury sustained early in camp.

I'm not sure when the other was, but within a couple of years of Couch. Smith sounds right...yup, found it on the Wikipedia page. He was in the Packers camp in 2003. Neither of those guys made it onto the roster. He also apparently threw 3 TD passes in a preseason game against everybody's 5th favorite team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders in '07 :-D

I'd forgotten about the injury grievance by Couch. That was pretty pathetic, the Pack gave him a chance to get back into the league after the mess in Cleveland and it seemed like when he couldn't make it he went after a few extra bucks.

Smidgeon
08-06-2013, 03:04 PM

Maybe it was Akili. I just remember that it was Couch and somebody else.

Patler
08-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Maybe it was Akili. I just remember that it was Couch and somebody else.

Akili Smith wasn't the same year as Couch. Doug Pedersen was still on his return visit to GB when Couch was in camp. Akili Smith was in camp a year or so earlier, also with Pdersen

Patler
08-06-2013, 03:54 PM
I'd forgotten about the injury grievance by Couch. That was pretty pathetic, the Pack gave him a chance to get back into the league after the mess in Cleveland and it seemed like when he couldn't make it he went after a few extra bucks.

Then a couple years later, Matt O'Dwyer did the same thing. He missed the year before due to injury. The Packers give him a minimum contract to see if he had anything left. He was released and filed an injury grievance, claiming he was fully healed from the year before but had sustained a new injury in GB.

Cletidus Hunt had a legitimate similar situation. The Packers debated whether to bring him back or release him. They brought him in and he was hurt the first day of camp. The Packers paid him for the season.

Then fans wonder why teams don't just "bring so-and-so in for a look." The look can cost a year's salary.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2013, 08:44 PM
I was listening to Jason Wilde on the radio. Wilde contacted the football beat writer in Buffalo, some friend of his, to get the dope on Vince Young, last seen professionally getting cut by the Bills. That guy thought Young looked really good, and there was talk that he might even unseat Ryan Fitzpatrick for the #1 job. (The Bills had a lot tied-up with Fitzpatrick, that was factor.)

I don't know if this means very much. It doesn't entirely square with the fact that Young didn't get picked up by another team. But it's better than hearing that he was washed up. It could be the Vince Young just had a bad reputation from his antics, so no interest.

Bretsky
08-06-2013, 11:58 PM
I was listening to Jason Wilde on the radio. Wilde contacted the football beat writer in Buffalo, some friend of his, to get the dope on Vince Young, last seen professionally getting cut by the Bills. That guy thought Young looked really good, and there was talk that he might even unseat Ryan Fitzpatrick for the #1 job. (The Bills had a lot tied-up with Fitzpatrick, that was factor.)

I don't know if this means very much. It doesn't entirely square with the fact that Young didn't get picked up by another team. But it's better than hearing that he was washed up. It could be the Vince Young just had a bad reputation from his antics, so no interest.

Same analysis as the kickers; TT is taking a swing with a blonde knowing he had a couple of threes waiting in the wings if it doesn't work out

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Reports are that Young has looked very rusty, but I'm seeing this as a really smart move.

Despite what TT mumbled, they brought Young in because BJ Coleman looks useless as an NFL QB in 2013.

If Young can spend the next 5 weeks shaking off the rust and learning a chunk of the playbook, he will be an asset for the Packers even if they cut him. I doubt any other team will use a roster spot for him. Whether Young is #2, #3 or sitting home, he will offer the Packers their best option if an injury occurs to a QB.

BTW, the best part of Young's 31-19 record as a starter is 50. That's a lot of NFL game experience.

Fritz
08-08-2013, 08:07 AM
How much does the team want to invest in a 30 year old QB who has lousy fundamentals when they're trying to develop a young, strong-armed, raw kid?

I don't really get this move. At all.

pbmax
08-08-2013, 08:36 AM
How much does the team want to invest in a 30 year old QB who has lousy fundamentals when they're trying to develop a young, strong-armed, raw kid?

I don't really get this move. At all.

If Coleman flops in camp, he is still eligible for the practice squad. Young doesn't mean the end of Coleman.

Fritz
08-08-2013, 10:29 AM
If Coleman flops in camp, he is still eligible for the practice squad. Young doesn't mean the end of Coleman.

But here's what I don't get: why risk losing Coleman to another team with nothing to play for this year (there are a few of those teams already) if you're going to use up a roster spot for a guy who's rustier than the tinman?

I guess I seem Young's presence as taking away developmental snaps for Harrell and Coleman.

I wonder if this signing is simply Ted indulging himself. He always did have a metaphorical (that's as far as we know) boner for Young.

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2013, 10:33 AM
30 year old QB who has lousy fundamentals

I would say 30-34 is prime age for a backup QB. You want experience, not vertical jump.

I don't know about lousy fundamentals, but he does have to change his footwork for an offense he is not so familiar with, according to articles.

I doubt he has lousy fundamentals, certainly he is not Brett Favre bad when it comes to form. I'll take 31-19 over 0-0 for a backup.

That said, he still has to get up to speed, and that may not happen.

pbmax
08-08-2013, 10:49 AM
But here's what I don't get: why risk losing Coleman to another team with nothing to play for this year (there are a few of those teams already) if you're going to use up a roster spot for a guy who's rustier than the tinman?

I guess I seem Young's presence as taking away developmental snaps for Harrell and Coleman.

I wonder if this signing is simply Ted indulging himself. He always did have a metaphorical (that's as far as we know) boner for Young.

Well, we have no idea if Young sticks unless he is #2. Whether the Packers want to carry 3 on the roster is an open question and might depend on other considerations like O line.

Coleman, if he earns a PS spot might simply solve the risk of losing him by putting up bad tape. If its good tape, odds are better he makes the roster.

MadtownPacker
08-08-2013, 11:05 AM
It brings a tear to my eye that partial is not here to enjoy this signing.

Cheesehead Craig
08-08-2013, 11:14 AM
I don't think teams are lining up hoping that the Pack put Coleman on the PS so they can snatch him away. True it all depends on how he does in pre-season. But if he gets beat out by Young, then that means he wasn't all that good and thus not worth taking a flyer on to bring in a #3 QB who won't know that team's system. They would have their own project at the #3QB spot.

Fritz
08-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Uh, Craig, he'll end up in Minnesota.

Upnorth
08-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Why don't we make him the holder for fg's? He can run and throw and teams might not be as aggressive to block giving An extra time to setup and deliver

Cheesehead Craig
08-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Uh, Craig, he'll end up in Minnesota.

As much as MN signs former Packers, they have Ponder, Cassell and Bethel-Thompson who apparently has an absolute cannon for an arm. They aren't getting rid of him for Coleman.

Fritz
08-08-2013, 05:44 PM
But taking Coleman off GB's practice squad would be a bigger coup for the Minnesota organization than having the best possible players at a position.

sharpe1027
08-08-2013, 10:18 PM

It reminds me a bit of when Eric crouch was tried out, but he was a third rounder with zero experience.

pbmax
08-08-2013, 10:29 PM
But taking Coleman off GB's practice squad would be a bigger coup for the Minnesota organization than having the best possible players at a position.

It IS like freeing someone from the Matrix according to Greg "Tank" Jennings. Leslie Frazier is Morpheus.

"Take the red pill BJ."

Freak Out
08-09-2013, 02:12 AM
Lol.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Bob McGinn & Tyler Dunn had a lot to say about VY. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/143684556.html

McGinn thinks that Young might give the Packers a better chance to win games than Harrell, although he wasn't predicting that. He also listed all the vet QBs that the Packers have tried while he has been a writer in GB, and it's not exactly a hall of success. Still, a few of them were good enough to fill out depth chart.

Eric Crouch (Rams) - cut
Todd Bouman (Vikings, Saints) - on roster for a month when Rodgers injured
JT O'Sullivan (Saints) - on roster 1 year
Akili Smith (Bengals) - cut
Billy Joe Tolliver (Saints) - cut
Danny Wuerffel (Saints) - on roster 1 year
Rick Mirer (Seahawks, Bears) - on roster 1 year
David Klingler (Bengals, Raiders) - cut
Steve Bono - (49ers) on roster 1 year
Steve McMahon (Bears) - on roster 2 years
Ken O'Brien (Jets) - cut
Mark Wilson (Raiders) - cut
Chuck Fusina (USFL) - on roster 1 year
David Woodley (Dolphins) - cut
Scott Brunner (Giants, Broncos) - traded in preseason

Pugger
08-09-2013, 12:45 PM

Yes, he was in our camp in 2003 but he didn't make the team. He is out of football now.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2013, 11:25 AM
After a decade and a half, Ted finally signed a player with the "it" factor. This team is going places!

QFT

Fritz
08-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Well, I was wrong about Young. I see the sense of that signing now, since Harrell has performed like a champion Hoover, and Coleman is as raw as a young prison convict's butt.

mraynrand
08-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Bob McGinn & Tyler Dunn had a lot to say about VY. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/143684556.html

McGinn thinks that Young might give the Packers a better chance to win games than Harrell, although he wasn't predicting that. He also listed all the vet QBs that the Packers have tried while he has been a writer in GB, and it's not exactly a hall of success. Still, a few of them were good enough to fill out depth chart.

Eric Crouch (Rams) - cut
Todd Bouman (Vikings, Saints) - on roster for a month when Rodgers injured
JT O'Sullivan (Saints) - on roster 1 year
Akili Smith (Bengals) - cut
Billy Joe Tolliver (Saints) - cut
Danny Wuerffel (Saints) - on roster 1 year
Rick Mirer (Seahawks, Bears) - on roster 1 year
David Klingler (Bengals, Raiders) - cut
Steve Bono - (49ers) on roster 1 year
Steve McMahon (Bears) - on roster 2 years
Ken O'Brien (Jets) - cut
Mark Wilson (Raiders) - cut
Chuck Fusina (USFL) - on roster 1 year
David Woodley (Dolphins) - cut
Scott Brunner (Giants, Broncos) - traded in preseason

who the hell is Steve McMahon?

red
08-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Looks like VY has won the backup job

Harrell is to be released according to pft

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2013, 03:24 PM

I got the first name wrong, obviously I meant Ed.

red
08-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Vy being on the roster also means our d should get plenty of practice going against athletic QBs that can take off and run

pbmax
08-24-2013, 03:29 PM
I got the first name wrong, obviously I meant Ed.

Maybe the love child of Bob McNair and Ed McMahon.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Vy being on the roster also means our d should get plenty of practice going against athletic QBs that can take off and run

Maybe he can get some tats for the San Fran prep week. I don't think Harrell lost the job so much as Vince Young won it. Harrell wasn't terrible, Vince recaptured a little of the magic.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm waiting for Skinbasket to appear and eat some shit.

digitaldean
08-24-2013, 03:45 PM
No matter who is on backup QB, it's a major step down from Rodgers'. He's an elite QB. No backup is close to elite status. VY at least gives them an add'l dimension if Rodgers is out.

Joemailman
08-24-2013, 06:02 PM

Why? Maybe he was being sincere.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Why? Maybe he was being sincere.

When in doubt, RUB IT IN.

Pugger
08-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Maybe he can get some tats for the San Fran prep week. I don't think Harrell lost the job so much as Vince Young won it. Harrell wasn't terrible, Vince recaptured a little of the magic.

Harrell just isn't an NFL quality QB. We gave him every chance in the world but he never really improved. :-|

Pugger
08-24-2013, 06:39 PM
No matter who is on backup QB, it's a major step down from Rodgers'. He's an elite QB. No backup is close to elite status. VY at least gives them an add'l dimension if Rodgers is out.

But if Rodgers can't play for a game or 3 VY will give us a better chance at winning than Harrell ever did.

Rutnstrut
08-24-2013, 07:29 PM
I really like VY as a serviceable back up, let's just PRAY we don't need those services.

mraynrand
08-24-2013, 07:43 PM
I really like VY as a serviceable back up, let's just PRAY we don't need those services.

exactly. As happy as I am that Young was taken over Harrell, I hope I never see him play a snap, unless the Packers are winning by several TDs.

hoosier
08-24-2013, 08:11 PM

I think he means Ed McMahon. Or Josh "the Man" McCown. It's down to the wire between those two.

hoosier
08-24-2013, 08:13 PM

Maybe a little bit, but Vince also displayed a lot of Ugly. I would say Harrell lost it--big time.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Maybe a little bit, but Vince also displayed a lot of Ugly. I would say Harrell lost it--big time.

No way, he looked like a guy who hadn't played football for two years, and then within three weeks he looks like a seasoned pro. Can't expect any more than that.

I imagine the Packers are mostly looking at Vince as a 1-year stand. But there is some chance this could be 2 or 3 season shackup. It's not clear that VY can ever command starter money around the league, and the Packers could use a placeholder until it is time to groom Rodger's replacement. But I'm way ahead of myself, lets see if he it makes the team.

mission
08-25-2013, 09:36 AM

You kidding? He was horrible.

Patler
08-25-2013, 09:44 AM
You kidding? He was horrible.

So then you agree, he wasn't terrible?

red
08-25-2013, 12:31 PM
lol

Cleft Crusty
08-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Clefty sometimes wonders what is being evaluated in preseason. Take a short run early in the game. Harrell has a single back (lacey), a fullback (Kuhn), a tight end offset in the backfield, and a single wide receiver. There is a single safety deep and a corner on the WR, but otherwise there are nine defenders close on the LOS. The Packers run for minimal gain and even the announcer, Ian (I-an not E-an) Eagle (I-an not E-an)) point our that Lacey breaks four tackles, but a defender is still there. Well, what are the options? To think that the run blocking is awful, or to perhaps wonder whether Harrell was being evaluated whether he knew enough to check out of a terrible play call. Rodgers would have checked to the WR and thrown a slant (or whatever pattern he checked to). Or was Harrell compelled to run the play because the staff wanted to evaluated the blocking against 9 in the box. Very hard to tell, but what Cleft knows for certain is that play would very likely never have been run in the regular season.

SkinBasket
08-28-2013, 06:43 AM

Says the guy who ran away from FYI and every wrong argument he ever made, which it turns out, was just about every one of them.

Anyway...

I'm supposed to believe this team is Super Bowl bound and Vince Young's career is now considered HOF material because he had a good preseason drive? What exactly am I supposed to be "eating shit" for?

Fritz
08-28-2013, 06:47 AM
The taste?

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2013, 07:11 AM
The burn. Feel the burn. That's those humility muscles getting exercised. It's healthy to be wrong now and then, prune away a little of the excess ego. Why I remember back in 2008 I was wrong on a player. Or maybe it was 2009 - I could be wrong.

mraynrand
08-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Says the guy who ran away from FYI and every wrong argument he ever made, which it turns out, was just about every one of them.

Anyway...

I'm supposed to believe this team is Super Bowl bound and Vince Young's career is now considered HOF material because he had a good preseason drive? What exactly am I supposed to be "eating shit" for?

it's not exactly a résumé builder to say you are a better QB than Graham Harrell. Pretty close to receiving a trophy in little league for getting 'hit by pitch.'

Zool
08-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Anyway...

I'm sure he's done more than that. Nothing I've witnessed, but I'm sure he has. He's got IT.

bobblehead
08-28-2013, 09:27 AM
The burn. Feel the burn. That's those humility muscles getting exercised. It's healthy to be wrong now and then, prune away a little of the excess ego.

If that is so, you sir will live forever.

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Clefty sometimes wonders what is being evaluated in preseason. Take a short run early in the game. Harrell has a single back (lacey), a fullback (Kuhn), a tight end offset in the backfield, and a single wide receiver. There is a single safety deep and a corner on the WR, but otherwise there are nine defenders close on the LOS. The Packers run for minimal gain and even the announcer, Ian (I-an not E-an) Eagle (I-an not E-an)) point our that Lacey breaks four tackles, but a defender is still there. Well, what are the options? To think that the run blocking is awful, or to perhaps wonder whether Harrell was being evaluated whether he knew enough to check out of a terrible play call. Rodgers would have checked to the WR and thrown a slant (or whatever pattern he checked to). Or was Harrell compelled to run the play because the staff wanted to evaluated the blocking against 9 in the box. Very hard to tell, but what Cleft knows for certain is that play would very likely never have been run in the regular season.

This is cogent analysis by Mr. Crusty. What Maxie knows for certain that that preseason games wouldn't never be played in the regular season.

Fritz
08-29-2013, 01:59 PM
They couldn't be. Or else they couldn't call them PRE season games!

swede
08-29-2013, 04:36 PM
They couldn't be. Or else they couldn't call them PRE season games!

I think Fritz is being

http://www.misterteacher.com/alphabetgeometry/obtuse%20angle.gif

mraynrand
08-29-2013, 04:39 PM
I think Fritz is being

http://www.misterteacher.com/alphabetgeometry/obtuse%20angle.gif

Maxi and Fritz are being very:
http://yosemite.epa.gov/r10/CLEANUP.NSF/0/24bfd539e4497bd088256e54007f4534/$FILE/T4P1RA-WB-082508-anchor.jpg

red
08-29-2013, 05:31 PM
so i'm guessing VY gets to play most of the game tonight

SkinBasket
09-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Gosh it's a terrible thing when people speak too soon. Ironic, but terrible.

Joemailman
09-01-2013, 09:37 AM
I guess in the end the guy with a 6 on the Wonderlic couldn't figure out the Packers offense.

pbmax
09-01-2013, 09:48 AM
I guess in the end the guy with a 6 on the Wonderlic couldn't figure out the Packers offense.

I think eventually McCarthy and the West Coast Offense's method is going to change, or perhaps, be superseded by offensive schemes that lower the number of plays and reads. Ironically, head in a direction favored by Maxie in another thread.

There is a huge benefit from running option and prepackaged plays. The offense takes less time to install, adjustments are easier to make and your QB doesn't need 3 years in the system to make it work. If you can employ a mobile QB who doesn't have the Round 1 measurables of Elway/Manning/Luck, you can save a LOT of money and have a backup to boot (Pat White). There is the strategic benefit that the QB on the field can stress the defense on his own without having to audible not to mention the stress his mobility could cause.

Read option is one of these changes, but Oregon's offense will have others in a similar vein. The big development in college (and in some NFL cities) this year is the growth of prepackaged plays, which are plays and alignments that have up to five places to go with the ball based usually one pre snap read and one post snap read. Rodgers and McCarthy run two of these; one is the run pass option where only Rodgers knows which he will choose (McCarren usually spots these on the radio if you are interested) and the other is called a stick draw. Rodgers reads a LB to determine whether he is crashing for the run or settling into pass coverage. If coverage, Rodgers gives the back on a draw. If crashing, Rodgers throws a stick route which looks like slant that the receiver has stopped suddenly.

The other benefit is that unlike mass substitutions, you can run these multitude of plays from similar personnel. It therefore can be run up tempo and help the O force the D not to substitute.

denverYooper
09-01-2013, 10:11 AM
I think eventually McCarthy and the West Coast Offense's method is going to change, or perhaps, be superseded by offensive schemes that lower the number of plays and reads. Ironically, head in a direction favored by Maxie in another thread.

There is a huge benefit from running option and prepackaged plays. The offense takes less time to install, adjustments are easier to make and your QB doesn't need 3 years in the system to make it work. If you can employ a mobile QB who doesn't have the Round 1 measurables of Elway/Manning/Luck, you can save a LOT of money and have a backup to boot (Pat White). There is the strategic benefit that the QB on the field can stress the defense on his own without having to audible not to mention the stress his mobility could cause.

Your comments and this tweet:

Brian McIntyre ‏@brian_mcintyre 6m

Bottom 5 in cash spending at QB: Seahawks ($1.45M), Bengals ($2.177M), 49ers ($2.8M), Browns ($2.989M), Redskins ($3.331M). Enjoy it now.

have got me thinking. What will this mean for QB salaries over the next 2-3 years? Seahawks, 9ers, Redskins are getting great value atm, but what how do those negotiations work out when their contracts are up for renewal?

pbmax
09-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Your comments and this tweet:

Brian McIntyre ‏@brian_mcintyre 6m

Bottom 5 in cash spending at QB: Seahawks ($1.45M), Bengals ($2.177M), 49ers ($2.8M), Browns ($2.989M), Redskins ($3.331M). Enjoy it now.

have got me thinking. What will this mean for QB salaries over the next 2-3 years? Seahawks, 9ers, Redskins are getting great value atm, but what how do those negotiations work out when their contracts are up for renewal?

If they continue to be successful throwing it, they move into the stratosphere. However, roughly speaking, the more running they do the less astronomical their stats might be. But if you pay that contract, then financially you are in the same boat as everyone else with a franchise QB. But you do get 3-5 years to front load deals, find other talent and sign FAs.

The alternative is to release and go back to the well looking for a mobile QB bargain.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Gosh it's a terrible thing when people speak too soon. Ironic, but terrible.

It's not too soon to say you are a hater, baiter and mashed potater. Terrible. IF I had a son, I hope he would look like Vince Young.

mraynrand
09-01-2013, 11:03 AM
It's not too soon to say you are a hater, baiter and mashed potater. Terrible. IF I had a son, I hope he would look like Vince Young.

you mean a failure? Just like dear old dad? :wink:

NewsBruin
09-01-2013, 11:56 AM
My opinion: You have three classes of QBs: Rookie starting material (cheap), journeymen 2nd contract starters (also cheap), and 2nd/3rd contract starters (top of the market and locked up at all costs - consistently pushing the pay envelope). The big concerns come when your Kaepernicks and Russells put their numbers up against Romo's and Sanchez's postpone-salary-cap-armageddon extensions. Seattle and SF can make riskier roster moves, as they have a few more seasons with a cheap QB.

denverYooper
09-01-2013, 02:17 PM
My opinion: You have three classes of QBs: Rookie starting material (cheap), journeymen 2nd contract starters (also cheap), and 2nd/3rd contract starters (top of the market and locked up at all costs - consistently pushing the pay envelope). The big concerns come when your Kaepernicks and Russells put their numbers up against Romo's and Sanchez's postpone-salary-cap-armageddon extensions. Seattle and SF can make riskier roster moves, as they have a few more seasons with a cheap QB.

True. But I would think that they'd want to start thinking about negotiations with Kaepernick or Wilson if they produce this season.

NewsBruin
09-01-2013, 02:19 PM
They can think, but per the CBA, I don't think the contracts can be renegotiated until 3 full seasons. Seattle couldn't pay Russell more if they wanted to.

SkinBasket
09-03-2013, 07:56 AM
you mean a failure? Just like dear old dad? :wink:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/boom_e111cd_2329231.jpg

Guiness
09-03-2013, 09:26 AM
They can think, but per the CBA, I don't think the contracts can be renegotiated until 3 full seasons. Seattle couldn't pay Russell more if they wanted to.

2 minutes for overuse of the word think!

That sounds right though.

Under the new CBA, rookies that are drafted receive four-year contracts. If a rookie is drafted in the first round, clubs can exercise a fifth-year option for the player’s rights. If a rookie is undrafted, he will receive a three-year contract.

The CBA allows for drafted rookie contracts to be renegotiated after the player’s third season and the new contract no longer falls under the CBA’s rookie salary limitations.

UDFAs become restricted FAs after the third year, drafted players do not. Seems like the idea is to eliminate restricted FA status, which was always kind of a wonky system.

run pMc
09-03-2013, 10:01 AM
So we'll see if SF tries to extend Kaepernick at seasons' end (this is year 3 for him) or not.