PDA

View Full Version : So...who's our starting RB?

Guiness
08-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Just saw this interesting article

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/23070716/mike-mccarthy-i-view-dujuan-harris-as-our-starter-at-running-back

"I'm excited to see when DuJuan Harris comes back, because I view him as our starter," McCarthy told USA Today.

I'm surprised to see that...

pbmax
08-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Considering that player hasn't even practiced, he's blowing smoke and trying to avoid anointing a starter until he has to.

mission
08-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Considering that player hasn't even practiced, he's blowing smoke and trying to avoid anointing a starter until he has to.

+1 They don't want to go ahead and just GIVE the job to Lacy. Especially when he's been out a couple days and they want to make sure he still pushes his way through camp.

bobblehead
08-08-2013, 05:36 PM

I find this cruel and unusual punishment since Harris won't make the final roster. Its not nice to give him false hope. Don't misunderstand, I think he deserves to make it, but a 5'7" guy has little chance if starks is healthy.

Lacy, Starks, Green, Kuhn and Franklin will be the RB's if healthy...if someone gets hurt, then harris gets what he deserves.

denverYooper
08-08-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm getting sort of excited about Franklin.

mission
08-08-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm getting sort of excited about Franklin.

I'm looking forward to his breakout moment(s) during the preseason. Didn't have a lot of room in the scrimmage and obviously Lacy shined so that hope is reinforced a bit. I'm sure Franklin will wow us before the season starts.

Smidgeon
08-08-2013, 08:16 PM
I find this cruel and unusual punishment since Harris won't make the final roster. Its not nice to give him false hope. Don't misunderstand, I think he deserves to make it, but a 5'7" guy has little chance if starks is healthy.

Lacy, Starks, Green, Kuhn and Franklin will be the RB's if healthy...if someone gets hurt, then harris gets what he deserves.

I'm getting sort of tired of Starks. He's hurt way too much. Yeah, he has good lean, but he can't stay on the field. If Green really is completely back from his knee injury, I'd jettison Starks and keep the rest.

sharpe1027
08-08-2013, 10:09 PM
This may be it for Kuhn.

denverYooper
08-08-2013, 11:38 PM
This may be it for Kuhn.

I dunno. I thought so too, but he's been showing up on #1 ST units so far.

Fritz
08-09-2013, 07:40 AM

As PB has pointed out, being one the #1 special teams unit may be the most telling sign that a guy has made the team.

wist43
08-09-2013, 08:41 AM

I think Harris makes the roster over Starks if both are healthy - Green too. I think Starks and Kuhn are the guys who will be out - or at least should be the guys who are out.

TT and MM don't like carrying a FB though... can't really consider Kuhn a FB - just a slow, unathletic RB that does some things MM finds valuable.

Instead of blocking a defender with a FB, MM would prefer to simply move that defender out of the way with formation - it's much more polite.

Upnorth
08-09-2013, 08:49 AM
I think Harris makes the roster over Starks if both are healthy - Green too. I think Starks and Kuhn are the guys who will be out - or at least should be the guys who are out.

TT and MM don't like carrying a FB though... can't really consider Kuhn a FB - just a slow, unathletic RB that does some things MM finds valuable.

Instead of blocking a defender with a FB, MM would prefer to simply move that defender out of the way
with formation - it's much more polite.

I agree with Harris over Starks, I also like him over Green but I think they will hold onto Green for potential. Kuhn will be kept strictly for KUUHHNNN! (and special teams)

Patler
08-09-2013, 08:51 AM

I wouldn't attach too much meaning to that yet. They haven't even played a game. I imagine the STs are made up mostly of the top performers from last year, with a rookie here and there for someone who hasn't returned, or for someone who wasn't very good at it last year. More rookies will get exposure as preseason rolls on.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2013, 09:43 AM
I don't see why Kuhn got a generous contract. I hear things like "Rodgers is comfortable with him", "he knows the offense". I guess. He can't run the ball that well, even by fullback standards. Is he a blow-up blocker? I don't think so. I guess being assignment-sure is worth millions. Does he cover kicks? I don't remember him making tackles. I'd rather have another halfback, but maybe somebody can explain Kuhn love to me.

wist43
08-09-2013, 10:47 AM
I agree with Harris over Starks, I also like him over Green but I think they will hold onto Green for potential. Kuhn will be kept strictly for KUUHHNNN! (and special teams)

I guess the way I wrote that came across wrong... I'd prefer Green over Starks as well. I like Starks, but he spends too much time in the trainers rooms.

run pMc
08-09-2013, 11:24 AM
To answer the thread's question, I think the starting RB will be Lacy.
The way they've talked about Starks, he'll be the backup, with Franklin the 3rd down back. Not sure where Green and Harris fit, although they both have talent and one of them will stick.
I say that before they've played a single preseason game...so I might change my mind in two weeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if they put Harris on the PUP list with some phantom injury or "rehab setback", and bring him back in time for Green, Starks or (God forbid) Lacy to land on IR. All of those guys have injury histories.

Cutting Kuhn is a possibility, but he's dependable and consistent if mediocre. Only way he gets cut is if one of the TE's proves they can block as a FB/H-back, all the RB's play lights out, and they can't find a trade partner.

swede
08-09-2013, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't attach too much meaning to that yet. They haven't even played a game. I imagine the STs are made up mostly of the top performers from last year, with a rookie here and there for someone who hasn't returned, or for someone who wasn't very good at it last year. More rookies will get exposure as preseason rolls on.

That's how I see it. With the decisions needing to be made at RB Kuhn love and STs will function for little in the final equation.

One of these days I'm gonna snatch that pebble from your hand, boss.

pbmax
08-09-2013, 01:42 PM
They don't like carrying FBs.

Except for the 2 years there were 3 of them on the roster.

swede
08-09-2013, 02:01 PM
They don't like carrying FBs.

Except for the 2 years there were 3 of them on the roster.

OLBs replaced the TEs that replaced the FBs.

swede: Siri, can an NFL team play without a fullback?

Siri: Would you like to check NFL scores?

bobblehead
08-09-2013, 02:27 PM
I don't see why Kuhn got a generous contract. I hear things like "Rodgers is comfortable with him", "he knows the offense". I guess. He can't run the ball that well, even by fullback standards. Is he a blow-up blocker? I don't think so. I guess being assignment-sure is worth millions. Does he cover kicks? I don't remember him making tackles. I'd rather have another halfback, but maybe somebody can explain Kuhn love to me.

At the time I wanted them to give that money to Brandon Jackson. He had become a valuable 3rd down back....much better than kuhn, but MM and TT decided the special team contribution was that big.

Fritz
08-09-2013, 03:59 PM
I think they're giving Lacy every opportunity. Me, I'd keep Starks until he gets hurt. he's playing well now, so why not ride the horse til it falls over? Then keep Franklin and Green. Since the team lured Harris away from his bang-up car salesman job, I'd say they can probably cut ties and still find him later if or when they need him.

If Quarless gets and stays healthy, I'd keep an extra tight end over Kuhn.