PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Backup QB

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2013, 07:52 AM
I think last night's stumblefest might have reshuffled the deck.

pbmax
08-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Someone on Twitter said Young moved up. I don't know how unless McCarthy plans to run a QB bootleg offense if Rodgers goes down.

These guys have to keep playing and you have to hope one of them sorts it out. But Harrell cannot be this limited and that loose with the football.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2013, 08:53 AM
I think TT may do a dumpster dive, but not with the expectation that the guy can be the #2 a week later. It would take a trade very soon, I would think.

red
08-10-2013, 09:10 AM
the goal of a #2 QB for us would be to step in, finish a game, and maybe keep us competitive for one start if a-rod goes down but isn't lost for the year

none of our current QB's can do that

coleman is as good as gone already

Tony Oday
08-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Doesn't matter who it is, without AR for more than a we are a 6-10 team at best.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2013, 09:19 AM
the goal of a #2 QB for us would be to step in, finish a game, and maybe keep us competitive for one start if a-rod goes down but isn't lost for the year

none of our current QB's can do that
None can do that today, for sure. Where do you project the Packers will be sitting on Sept 1? Cousin Vinny has only had 3 days of practice, how much better will he be? Would TT dare go into opener with a complete newbee in the job? Just because Rodgers goes down doesn't mean the Packers have to lose, even with Graham Harrell. When confronted with bad choices, it is easy to say "none of the above", but internet GMs with testicles don't have that option.

Tony Oday
08-10-2013, 09:30 AM
It's Harrel. He knows the offense just isn't any good.

red
08-10-2013, 09:38 AM
are any of the current backups better then randle "wild" cobb?

after watching harrell last night i thought to myself "do we even have to waste a roster spot on a completely worthless player"?

i think it would be scary to have "limp wrist" harrell come into the game and try and continue using the same type of passing game that a-rod uses. i saw him make one pass to the sideline that seemed like it took forever to get out there. those long passes to the sideline have to come out of the playbook when a-rod comes out.

and if we have to change the scheme for a backup QB, why not just throw cobb back there (if he's healthy) and let him run the wild cat or something like it for the rest of the game?

keep a normal QB on the practice squad for running the b-team in practice, and use the roster spot for someone who might contribute to the team

Maxie the Taxi
08-10-2013, 10:02 AM
are any of the current backups better then randle "wild" cobb?

after watching harrell last night i thought to myself "do we even have to waste a roster spot on a completely worthless player"?

i think it would be scary to have "limp wrist" harrell come into the game and try and continue using the same type of passing game that a-rod uses. i saw him make one pass to the sideline that seemed like it took forever to get out there. those long passes to the sideline have to come out of the playbook when a-rod comes out.

and if we have to change the scheme for a backup QB, why not just throw cobb back there (if he's healthy) and let him run the wild cat or something like it for the rest of the game?

keep a normal QB on the practice squad for running the b-team in practice, and use the roster spot for someone who might contribute to the team

Alex Gillette? Go to the 9:05 mark on this video. The guy's arm is stronger than Harrell's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxqBNmxVyPI

red
08-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Alex Gillette? Go to the 9:05 mark on this video. The guy's arm is stronger than Harrell's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxqBNmxVyPI

THATS a pro arm

Brandon494
08-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Clearly Young should win the job, he has the most experience and hes a dual threat. Hes not the greatest passer but guess what? Neither is Harrell or Coleman. At least Young can make plays with his legs if need be.

red
08-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Clearly Young should win the job, he has the most experience and hes a dual threat. Hes not the greatest passer but guess what? Neither is Harrell or Coleman. At least Young can make plays with his legs if need be.

plus in practice he can give the defense that read option look

my main problem with VY is, an he learn our offense fast enough? the number 2 QB has to know his shit to help the number one on the field

is he smart enough? i mean after all, he is black ;)

but seriously, he scored a 6 on the wonderlic, a fucking 6. you get 5 for using the right type of pencil. he was somehow allowed to retake it and got a 14, still pretty low

does he have the brains to learn our offense and playbook by week 1?

if he can, then i agree he should be the #2. he's got the experience and he's no worse throwing then harrell and coleman, but like you said, he can run

pbmax
08-10-2013, 12:09 PM
If they all continue to stink and Harrell is loose with the ball, you might get your wish. Young would make a #2 and Coleman will be stashed on the practice squad.

Maxie the Taxi
08-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Harrell will be the number 2. He knows the system and can move the ball. As far as being loose with the ball, I think it's a matter of getting reps. Let's face it, for the last few years we've put all are marbles on Rodgers. I don't think they want to pay a really decent backup QB...say like Orton in Dallas or McCoy in SF or Quinn and Jackson in Seattle. Look at Atlanta...they've got two rookies and a second year man backing up Ryan. If their top guy goes down, the Falcons are pretty much done for too.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Little is asked of fans, but there is one sacred responsibility: to remain hopeful (within the bounds of sanity.) It is not insane to think that Vince Young will catch-on to the system and be significantly better than Harrell. Therefore, there is a right answer for fans who take their duties seriously: VY.

I don't think GH is terrible, but we've seen his limitations. As to bringing in a new guy, I don't see how that could work better than GH without grooming the guy for a month.

As to Vinny being a dummy, lets see him play. However:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-backup-quarterbacks-have-miserable-night-b9972239z1-219083011.html
"I knew it going in," Coleman said of being fourth in line. "I could see it in practice. I worked with Vince all week helping him learn the offense and get comfortable.

"I think Vince is a very smart guy, that's something he doesn't get credit for. He did what he was asked to do and now he'll expand on that."

Joemailman
08-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Someone on Twitter said Young moved up. I don't know how unless McCarthy plans to run a QB bootleg offense if Rodgers goes down.

These guys have to keep playing and you have to hope one of them sorts it out. But Harrell cannot be this limited and that loose with the football.

The problem is that 4 years in, he is. I don't see much reason to expect improvement.

pbmax
08-10-2013, 04:25 PM
The problem is that 4 years in, he is. I don't see much reason to expect improvement.

Yes, but more playing time will reveal whether it was a fluke (which I suspect of the sack/fumble) or a true failing (which I suspect of the bad timing/read int). Though the WR did not help with that by getting knocked off his route.

Guiness
08-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Yes, but more playing time will reveal whether it was a fluke (which I suspect of the sack/fumble) or a true failing (which I suspect of the bad timing/read int). Though the WR did not help with that by getting knocked off his route.

I think the INT was on the WR. The sack fumble...Newhouse really laid an egg, but it was coming from the right side and you'd like Harrell to see that and do something - throw it away, pull the ball down and turtle, tuck and run. It was pretty fast to be sure.

Having said that, he showed very little for a guy going into his fourth year.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Saw another testimonial that Vince is no dumb-dumb. No need to speculate, his on-field decisions will quickly tell the truth, or as Forrest Gump's mom says, "Stupid is what stupid does."

http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=27751

Quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo said in advance of the game that Young would have to learn the offense differently than his quarterback counterparts because he missed the first seven installations of the offensive playbook.

“The other guys have had the benefit of getting the installations three times. The hard part is, he’s not going to get them. He’s going to get them by game plan,” McAdoo explained. “So you’re going to have to teach everything by game plan. I will say this: When he showed up, he was ready to work and he was excited to work. I think a lot of the guy in the short time he’s been here, he’s approached it the right way, he’s fitting in in the room and he’s working to take our terminology and put it into what he knew in the past and merge them so he has something to sink his teeth into and then go out and perform.

“He’s also trying to digest what we’re asking him to do fundamentally, and that’s a lot, but he’s very capable. Very capable.”

mraynrand
08-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Geezeopete. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If Graham Harrell plays his best game of his entire NFL life, he might just match an average Colt McCoy performance. Coleman is years away from being emergency starter material. You can tell if a guy is NFL ready in the preseason, even if he's playing with second/third stringers, just recall Hasselbeck.

At least Vince Young has proven ability

Seems like a century ago.....

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/Vince%20Young.jpg

Freak Out
08-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Is Matt Leinart still playing?

Pugger
08-12-2013, 03:41 PM
I think Leinhart is still unemployed. As for the poll, ask us again after Young is in camp for more than a week.

digitaldean
08-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Kinda rooted for Texas just to beat Leinart and Bush at USC!

George Cumby
08-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Kinda rooted for Texas just to beat Leinart and Bush at USC!

For some odd reason I was rooting for SC that game, I have no idea why.

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2013, 07:17 PM
As for the poll, ask us again after Young is in camp for more than a week.

Nah, anybody can find water by drilling. The trick is to use a split green sapling.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DivingForPalme.jpg

I despise electronic fish finders.

Ya know I think another poll is desperately needed.....

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2013, 10:29 AM
BTW, I heard Tom Silverstein say on the Lucas & Lepay radio show that it's possible that the Packers will decide that both Harrell and Young are inadequate, and they'll bring-in a new veteran after final cutdown. So the three people who voted for "guy off the scrapheap" maybe aren't so dumb after all. Well, perhaps they are dumb, but they may yet be proven correct in this instance.

mraynrand
08-22-2013, 10:46 AM
BTW, I heard Tom Silverstein say on the Lucas & Lepay radio show that it's possible that the Packers will decide that both Harrell and Young are inadequate, and they'll bring-in a new veteran after final cutdown. So the three people who voted for "guy off the scrapheap" maybe aren't so dumb after all. Well, perhaps they are dumb, but they may yet be proven correct in this instance.

That's totally risky and pretty inconsistent with the current regime's policies. Young it seems was just brought in to light a fire under the rear ends of the backups. It seems increasingly like Harrell will be the guy. Good enough for a handful of snaps, and knows the offense. Should Rodgers go down for the season, I could see them pulling in a guy off the street who has extensive experience running a pro offense, but I wonder about their confidence in VY. Anyway, still two more games to go...

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Anyway, still two more games to go...

I think that's the point of Silverstein's comments, nothing is settled. I thought Harrell locked-up the job with last flash of adequacy, but the two remaining games will matter a lot, in his opinion.

swede
08-22-2013, 01:13 PM
I think that's the point of Silverstein's comments, nothing is settled. I thought Harrell locked-up the job with last flash of adequacy, but the two remaining games will matter a lot, in his opinion.

I think he at least made his dismissal much less likely. I think your backup needs to be a steady veteran with years of starting experience or a youngster with a high upside. That sounds like VY and Coleman. Harrell would be a smart kid who prepares well, works hard, and has blown chunks every time he has stepped into a real game.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2013, 07:58 AM
If the Packers cut Graham Harrell, can you imagine any team sacrificing a roster spot to pick him up?

The Packers can cut Graham Harrell and have him sitting home as an emergency reserve.

TT would be wise to release Graham Harrell right now, IMO.

Pugger
08-24-2013, 08:01 AM
TT can wait until Monday. ;-)

Smeefers
08-24-2013, 08:28 AM
I can't believe so many people don't want a veteran back up. They'd rather go with some crappy nobody. I've been grumbling for years that we need a vet to back up Rodgers and now that one is here, people want to go with the kid who has a 30 QB rating just because he knows the system.

I'll tell you what, if Rodgers goes down in week 3, we're just as screwed, whether we have Harrell or Young. If he goes down in week 12? Who'd you rather have? Same old colman or a guy who's been to the pro bowl?

mraynrand
08-24-2013, 09:37 AM
I can't believe so many people don't want a veteran back up. They'd rather go with some crappy nobody. I've been grumbling for years that we need a vet to back up Rodgers and now that one is here, people want to go with the kid who has a 30 QB rating just because he knows the system.

I don't like Harrell or Coleman. I just think the Packers have this highly rigid, set in stone devotion to develop from within. The Craptastic guy you have who knows the system is better than the guy who doesn't know the system, not regardless of his talent; but sometimes his talent is secondary to his connection to the draft process. I hope they prove me wrong by keeping Young - he has IT.

Fritz
08-24-2013, 09:58 AM
But you forget: TT has long had a boner for Vince Young. I think also that the "develop from within" philosophy includes the proviso that the talent within should have talent. I wonder if MM is realizing that after three years in MM's system, Harrell still doesn't have the arm and maybe not the cojones to make it work.

They did, after all, ditch Brian Brohm Bones.

Maxie the Taxi
08-24-2013, 04:11 PM

I'll tell you what, if Rodgers goes down in week 3, we're just as screwed, whether we have Harrell or Young. If he goes down in week 12? Who'd you rather have? Same old colman or a guy who's been to the pro bowl?

True. I haven't researched his stats, but Young throws a lot of interceptions. In last nights game I think it was Young who threw into triple coverage. (Shades of Brett Favre.) If Rodgers goes down, we are toast. Our best chance is to have Vince run the wishbone every play. Hopefully, Alex Gillett will be on the roster and do all the passing from "end around" plays. :lol:

Maxie the Taxi
08-24-2013, 04:26 PM
OK, here's Young's lifetime passing stats:

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7752&team=9

Way more interceptions than TD's.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 12:27 PM
Is Matt Leinart still playing?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Zdk8_WFic34/TSnbZjkzHuI/AAAAAAAADyE/9Nhopuza7f4/s200/trophy.jpg

I came in here to announce a winner, but I see none of the 4 geniuses had the cajones to publicly stand by their whacky prediction.

The judges award the trophy to Freak Out because he wasn't wrong and he once gave the judges positive rep points.

mraynrand
08-31-2013, 01:26 PM
True. I haven't researched his stats, but Young throws a lot of interceptions. In last nights game I think it was Young who threw into triple coverage. (Shades of Brett Favre.)

Nah, that was Coleman (but Young probably did it too, I just don't recall). And it was quadruple coverage.

Fritz
08-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Young was erratic. So you might as well give that spot to a ST guy (that fifth or sixth tight end) or that eighth defensive lineman (Boyd), and hope you never have to see Cobb barking out signals.

Maybe Cobb is better than Vince Young and Graham Harrell?

mraynrand
08-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Young was erratic. So you might as well give that spot to a ST guy (that fifth or sixth tight end) or that eighth defensive lineman (Boyd), and hope you never have to see Cobb barking out signals.

Maybe Cobb is better than Vince Young and Graham Harrell?

he certainly knows the offense better than either. I bet he can handle a center-QB exchange better than Graham cracker too. But can he make all the throws. Oh, wait, Young and Harrell can't make any of them, so he's better by default.

Guiness
08-31-2013, 04:36 PM
I haven't the foggiest guess. I kind of hope the idea is to resign VY after the first day of the league year so his salary for the season isn't guaranteed? What he showed in the final pre-season game was not awe-inspiring though.

In the Roster thread someone mentioned the Bills and Raiders each have 4 QBs on their roster, and maybe the Pack was going to trade with one of them. Ya, Flynn, Pryor, rookies Tyler Wilson and Mathew McGloin in Oackland. Bills have Kolb and Manuel, Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis. Not exactly a murderers row to be picking through! Assuming Pryor and Manuel are not available, I'm not sure the Pack would even want any of the rest!

Guiness
08-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Hey, just saw that Caleb Hanie is available! He had a great run (in my opinion, I think Raji would agree) with the Bears!

red
08-31-2013, 06:22 PM
so at this point we are admitting defeat if a-rod goes down. why not just forfeit and pass on the chance of injuries to other players until a-rod gets healthy again

we had 4 qb's in camp, two of them were released and the only guy we keep as a backup was the only guy that never, not even for one play, looked like he belonged on an NFL field

not even for punt, pass and kick ages 7-11

Joemailman
08-31-2013, 06:33 PM
so at this point we are admitting defeat if a-rod goes down. why not just forfeit and pass on the chance of injuries to other players until a-rod gets healthy again

we had 4 qb's in camp, two of them were released and the only guy we keep as a backup was the only guy that never, not even for one play, looked like he belonged on an NFL field

not even for punt, pass and kick ages 7-11

Actually, Coleman played quite well against St. Louis. 8-13, 86 yards, 1 TD. Here's the way I look at it. They got rid of the guy who doesn't have an NFL arm, and they got rid of the guy (at least for now), that doesn't know the offense. I'm not saying Coleman is ready, but I'm not sure the other two are either. TT and MM misjudged Harrell, and it has the team in a tough situation. Mistakes have consequences.

pbmax
08-31-2013, 06:42 PM
Beat writers said Coleman outplayed Young the last two weeks in practice but it did not show up versus the Chiefs.

Brandon494
08-31-2013, 07:23 PM
We can't even find a backup QB yet the Skins kept 4 on their 53 man roster.

mraynrand
08-31-2013, 09:42 PM
We can't even find a backup QB yet the Skins kept 4 on their 53 man roster.

Milhouse probably wants a trade.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Jason Wilde throws-out the theory that the Packers actually believe Coleman can serve as the backup QB, given the unattractive alternatives on the veteran market.
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=9191&is_corp=1

They also have Scott Tolzien on practice squad, maybe they will promote him in a month.

Doesn't make sense to me or most fans, but we'll see.

Iron Mike
09-01-2013, 08:27 AM
https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1176246_677913048903376_2081883667_n.jpg

gbgary
09-01-2013, 10:14 AM
ummm...there'a a rumor that clausen was getting some interest.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Jeff George can still heave it a mile.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 10:23 AM
After listening to list of the available QBs on the Miller Lite Football show (featuring Hot Tub Chmura) on radio this morning, I'm thinking Coleman & Tolzien might have to do. I also think bringing Vince back for San Fran game is possibility.

mraynrand
09-01-2013, 10:43 AM

Only if the Packers are in a pickle.

NewsBruin
09-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Jason Wilde throws-out the theory that the Packers actually believe Coleman can serve as the backup QB, given the unattractive alternatives on the veteran market.
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=9191&is_corp=1

They also have Scott Tolzien on practice squad, maybe they will promote him in a month.

Doesn't make sense to me or most fans, but we'll see.

BTW - I'm not sure how that headline made the cut.

Who have been the last unanointed backup QBs to really make a difference to a team for more than a season (The Kurt Warner Memorial Award)? Holcomb, Flynn, Fitzpatrick, Edwards?

Patler
09-01-2013, 01:16 PM

Only if the Packers are in a pickle.

Since passing is the Packers bread-and-bitter offense, their backup needs to be a dilly.