PDA

View Full Version : 54 issues and counting....

Patler
08-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Picked up my 2013 Packer Yearbook over the weekend. I am happy to keep the collection in tact (I have every year since 1960), but, wow, is the advertising getting out of hand. Through a large part of it, every right hand page is an ad. Still it costs $10.

It's fun to pick up an old one every now and then to re-read the articles. I think the content has gone downhill the last 10 years or so. They haven't published the off season roster for a few years already. It was a handy reference.

mraynrand
08-12-2013, 12:25 PM
I think the content has gone downhill the last 10 years or so. They haven't published the off season roster for a few years already. It was a handy reference.

there is this new-fangled thing called the internet that's affecting everything

Patler
08-12-2013, 01:33 PM
there is this new-fangled thing called the internet that's affecting everything

How do I collect webpages?

Zool
08-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Right click on a page and choose save as. Save as an HTML file. Print the HTML file whenever you'd like.

Interactive pages come out a little odd sometimes.

Cheesehead Craig
08-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Here I thought you were doing an airing of your grievences about PackerRats. I was real interested in what your issues were here.

MadtownPacker
08-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Picked up my 2013 Packer Yearbook over the weekend. I am happy to keep the collection in tact (I have every year since 1960), but, wow, is the advertising getting out of hand. Through a large part of it, every right hand page is an ad. Still it costs $10.

It's fun to pick up an old one every now and then to re-read the articles. I think the content has gone downhill the last 10 years or so. They haven't published the off season roster for a few years already. It was a handy reference.So 1959 huh?

mraynrand
08-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Here I thought you were doing an airing of your grievences about PackerRats. I was real interested in what your issues were here.

mad doesn't have enough server space for that

Patler
08-13-2013, 08:52 AM
So 1959 huh?

1960 was the first issue.

Fritz
08-13-2013, 09:43 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKnnD-e2SglEpn9bBowLFesdKwQOrQTDl-kD2tM6emcVoskRH_

Patler in 1960. A hipster, to be sure.

Patler
08-14-2013, 04:59 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKnnD-e2SglEpn9bBowLFesdKwQOrQTDl-kD2tM6emcVoskRH_

Patler in 1960. A hipster, to be sure.

Where are the tight fitting jeans with rolled up cuffs, and the white t-shirt with a pack of smokes rolled into the sleeve?

Fritz
08-14-2013, 07:10 AM
Apparently no one had the Kodak Brownie out when you were wearing that outfit.

Patler
08-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Apparently no one had the Kodak Brownie out when you were wearing that outfit.

There were a few taken:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMTV3nsCSp905x3DHw_xEwmTPjs-GymBGyIoBXxH5K3eEVjXLq

pbmax
08-14-2013, 08:34 AM
There were a few taken:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMTV3nsCSp905x3DHw_xEwmTPjs-GymBGyIoBXxH5K3eEVjXLq

That car is beautiful!

The kid has pretty long hair Patler!

Patler
08-14-2013, 10:36 AM
That car is beautiful!

The kid has pretty long hair Patler!

In the '50s and early '60s many guys did wear their hair quite long and combed back. Brylcream did the trick. ("a little dab will do ya!") Then the crew-cut/flat-top took over and we had to switch to Butch Wax to get it to stand up.

(Just in case there is doubt, that isn't really me in the pic.)

swede
08-14-2013, 10:47 AM
In the '50s and early '60s many guys did wear their hair quite long and combed back. Brylcream did the trick. ("a little dab will do ya!") Then the crew-cut/flat-top took over and we had to switch to Butch Wax to get it to stand up.

(Just in case there is doubt, that isn't really me in the pic.)

Before Linda Hamilton in Terminator II, "Butch" was a common catch-all nickname for the flat-top crowd. Now I know through experience that its casual use on a young male draws the ire of that person and snickers from his friends. Language piracy sucks.

There is no record of a "Butch" having played for the Green Bay Packers.

Fritz
08-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Language piracy is the nature of language. I just looked up the origins of the word "cockeyed" this morning (yes, I did). First spotted in print in the 1820's, it meant "squint-eyed," with the "cock" being a kind of adjective, as in "the hammer was cocked." In the 1890's it took on the meaning of one who is off his feed, crazy, wrong, goofy. In the 1920's it came to mean "drunk," as in "F. Scott Fitzgerald is cockeyed again."

Language piracy - it's cockeyed!

Patler
08-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Before Linda Hamilton in Terminator II, "Butch" was a common catch-all nickname for the flat-top crowd.

In our neck of the woods, a "butch" only referred to a buzz cut that more or less followed the contour of the head, same "length" everywhere, and looked very rounded. A flat-top, of course was perfectly flat on top. The goal was to have the crown of your head almost shaved to the skin, and to have the hair at the widest part of your head sufficiently long so that the ends would be in the same plane with the crown. We would never have used "butch" to refer to a flat-top.

mraynrand
08-14-2013, 11:44 AM
In our neck of the woods, a "butch" only referred to a buzz cut that more or less followed the contour of the head, same "length" everywhere, and looked very rounded. A flat-top, of course was perfectly flat on top. The goal was to have the crown of your head almost shaved to the skin, and to have the hair at the widest part of your head sufficiently long so that the ends would be in the same plane with the crown. We would never have used "butch" to refer to a flat-top.

That's a 'Buzz cut,' military style

Guiness
08-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Butch had a different meaning around here - female who dresses masculine, leaning towards punk, leather and denim, probably some piercings. Usually implied to be the dominant half of a she/she relationship.

swede
08-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Butch had a different meaning around here - female who dresses masculine, leaning towards punk, leather and denim, probably some piercings. Usually implied to be the dominant half of a she/she relationship.

Which is understandably why today's young man prefers not to be called "Butch". Forty years ago it was just a way of saying "pal" or "buddy" or "kiddo" or "chief" or "sport". Now it is, "Hey, hand me that 5/8 socket, 'Female Who Dresses Masculine'."

smuggler
08-16-2013, 02:06 AM
Don't confuse Fitzgerald with Hemingway. A common mistake, I'll grant you.

Pugger
08-16-2013, 07:29 AM
There were a few taken:

Are you watching the Mecum auto auction on Velocity this week? The cars on this show are fun to see. :cool:

Maxie the Taxi
08-16-2013, 07:54 AM
Before Linda Hamilton in Terminator II, "Butch" was a common catch-all nickname for the flat-top crowd. Now I know through experience that its casual use on a young male draws the ire of that person and snickers from his friends. Language piracy sucks.

Any record of a Packer with this great old name....Buster?

http://youtu.be/XGSWwuxvsXI

QBME
08-16-2013, 08:36 AM

I actually went through all of the rosters since 1921, and you're right - there's no Butch listed.
I did, however, find Boob's, Jug's and lots of Dicks.

K-town
08-16-2013, 09:40 AM
I actually went through all of the rosters since 1921, and you're right - there's no Butch listed.
I did, however, find Boob's, Jug's and lots of Dicks.
Wasn't there a center for the Packers in the late 1960's or early 1970's named Wimpy Winther?

Pugger
08-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Boob Darling?

QBME
08-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Boob Darling?

Sounds good to me Honey.....oh wait....

Yes, played center 1927 - 1931.

Joemailman
08-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Wasn't there a center for the Packers in the late 1960's or early 1970's named Wimpy Winther?

Good call. Richard Lew "Wimpy" Winther. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WintRi20.htm

Pugger
08-17-2013, 06:34 AM
Sounds good to me Honey.....oh wait....

Yes, played center 1927 - 1931.

His widow lived across the street from me when I was in high school. She showed me photos of him in his playing days. Her name was Babe. Babe and Boob Darling. :lol:

ThunderDan
08-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Speaking of old packers, Randy Wright was at the restaurant we ate at last night in Madtown.

mraynrand
08-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Speaking of old packers, Randy Wright was at the restaurant we ate at last night in Madtown.

Did he pass out when the buss boy approached too rapidly?

"They're coming, they're coming!!!"

ThunderDan
08-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Did he pass out when the buss boy approached too rapidly?

"They're coming, they're coming!!!"

No, Randy is a really nice guy. He owned a vending company in Madison. Of course, being a nice guy doesn't translate to being a good QB in the NFL.

QBME
08-18-2013, 05:19 PM
His widow lived across the street from me when I was in high school. She showed me photos of him in his playing days. Her name was Babe. Babe and Boob Darling. :lol:

To quote James Bond from Goldfinger....."I must be dreaming"....:)

Rastak
08-18-2013, 06:59 PM
There were a few taken:

Is that you Patler? That's awesome either way.

Patler
08-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Is that you Patler? That's awesome either way.

No, just a pic I found. I was blonde until it darkened a bit after age 25, and I never smoked.

Rastak
08-18-2013, 07:20 PM
No, just a pic I found. I was blonde until it darkened a bit after age 25, and I never smoked.

My father looked alot like that dude. I was born in the early 60s.