PDA

View Full Version : ROSTER ANALYSIS

Pages : 1 [2]

mraynrand
08-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Jarrett Bush made the team last night when everyone new showed they couldn't play gunner. KC gashed us on punt return....

Don't know what you got till it's gone
Don't know what it is I did so wrong

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot

Miss me yet?

mraynrand
08-30-2013, 10:41 AM
I see my "brain control" powers are now taking effect upon you guys... where's all the Kool-aid talk??

There was virtually no Kool-Aide talk. People just don't like your baiting, trollish demeanor and straw man arguments. Other than that, you make a lot of valid observations that add to the discussion.

Joemailman
08-30-2013, 10:56 AM
BTW, Steny Hoyer (Browns) looked pretty good throwing to Tori Gurley last night in Chicago.

Brian Hoyer. Take Steny Hoyer to FYI! :smile:

wist43
08-30-2013, 11:10 AM
There was virtually no Kool-Aide talk. People just don't like your baiting, trollish demeanor and straw man arguments. Other than that, you make a lot of valid observations that add to the discussion.

To you guys, saying we won't go 16-0 is "baiting"...

As one of the more informed political minds on this board, you should recognize the "positivity" indoctrination nonsense - it goes beyond "if you don't have something good to say about someone..."

We get our ass kicked, and after the venting - everyone is blooming daisies out of their ears, and the ass kicking never happened.

It seems the nearer we come to our next 'Waterloo' however, most PR are sensing that it won't be pretty, and are starting to buck up under that reality. Baby steps... now if only MM and TT would get honest with themselves and fire Capers sometime this afternoon - we'd be on the road to recovery ;)

mraynrand
08-30-2013, 11:20 AM
We get our ass kicked, and after the venting - everyone is blooming daisies out of their ears, and the ass kicking never happened.

I will use this as an example to support my viewpoint, and leave it at that.

Zool
08-30-2013, 11:38 AM
To you guys, saying we won't go 16-0 is "baiting"...

LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!

Guy, you take 1 person disagreeing with you and say "every one of you". We get it. You hate Capers and small lineman. You know what....we get it. There's a reason on a few people still reply to you.

RashanGary
08-30-2013, 11:50 AM
22 offense
QB (2) - Aaron Rodgers, Vince Young
RB (4) - Eddie Lacy, John Kuhn, Alex Green, Jonathan Franklin
WR (5) - Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Randall Cobb, Jarrett Boykin, Tyrone Walker
TE (4) - Jermichael Finley, Matthew Mulligan, Ryan Taylor, Brandon Bostick
OL (7) - David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, Evan Dietrich-Smith, T.J. Lang, Don Barclay, Marshall Newhouse, Lane Taylor

28 defense
DL (9) - B.J. Raji, Ryan Pickett, Datone Jones, C.J. Wilson, Mike Daniels, Johnny Jolly, Mike Neal, Jordan Miller, Josh Boyd
OLB (4) - Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Andy Mulumba, Nate Palmer
LB (5) - Brad Jones, A.J. Hawk, Robert Francois, Jamari Lattimore, Sam Barrington
CB (6) - Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Casey Hayward, Micah Hyde, Davon House, Jarrett Bush
S (4) - Morgan Burnett, M.D. Jennings, Jerron McMilliam, Chris Banjo

2 Special Teams
Mason Crosby, Tim Masthay, Brett Goode

If we're going to see a trade, I think it's going to be a DL for a C/G.

swede
08-30-2013, 11:52 AM
i like banjo and barrington. i like that new wr, walker over ross. Jordan miller is prolly going to make this team.

First, I pretty much agree with you, but I have been arguing with myself over these issues.

Can we carry enough D backs to keep Hyde and Banjo?

Barrington has the right physical attitude. If we needed him to play this season could he handle the responsibility? PB pointed out his troubles handling duties on the all-important special teams.

I liked Walker over Ross until last night when it became a tie. Ross stepped it up just as Walker had some bad breaks.

With all the early talk of Boyd I sure saw more of Miller come game time.

This was the first week that I thought Jolly might not make it. That is probably the reason Ted was retching on the sidelines.

RashanGary
08-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Ross doesn't seem as sure as Hyde handling the punt duties. The first and foremost job of a punt returner is catching the damn ball. Hyde is young, but he's extremely aware on the field. He seems like the game is slow for him, like he's really confident in what he's doing. He's a really natural football player. I'd be fine with Ross if we didn't have another PR we could count on. But we do. Hyde has taken that job IMO.

I do think Walker is going to make it. Our offense is predicated on knowing what the hell is going on. Similar to the type of WR's Brady likes, AR likes guys who "get it." Tyrone Walker get's it. Ross doesn't and his ST's value just isn't high enough to sacrifice Walker.

pbmax
08-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Ross on punt duties is an adventure. Ross on kickoff returns will get you some TDs.

Maxie the Taxi
08-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Note to guys making Final Roster guesses: Please include Bush in the Special Teams category, not in the D-backs category.

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2013, 12:36 PM
It will be an interesting day, there are about 6 bubble boys who could go either way. I don't anticipate any surprises, though.

I just hope there won't be posters pulling cheap, childish stunts. You know, those deceptive thread titles making fake announcements. So played.

NewsBruin
08-30-2013, 12:41 PM
I follow Dan Snyder's Caricatured Native Americans of our proud nation's capital because my alma mater's best offensive football alumnus is on its roster. Pat White probably won't make the cut, but has looked good by preseason standards. Would he be worth swapping a guy who won't make our roster for White?

Also, Wist, not relevant to this thread, I love Wist's skepticism and defensive analysis, but I think simple, straight-up power defense (fast, strong, and straightforward) would completely play into Harbaugh's hands, as we watch our Jethro Bodeans get earholed over and over again. We need bodies at the line, in a disciplined and sound formation, but playing "You always take pitch; I always have keeper" will get us undressed too.

Also, "Kaperf****r" is a stupid nickname and makes me start tuning out.

pittstang5
08-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Ross doesn't seem as sure as Hyde handling the punt duties. The first and foremost job of a punt returner is catching the damn ball. Hyde is young, but he's extremely aware on the field. He seems like the game is slow for him, like he's really confident in what he's doing. He's a really natural football player. I'd be fine with Ross if we didn't have another PR we could count on. But we do. Hyde has taken that job IMO.

Everytime Ross is back to field a punt, I hold my breath. First time I saw Hyde field a punt, I was impressed. He just looked natural and has continued to look natural doing it. But, Ross, IMO has the ability to get more yards, at least from what I've seen.

So, what do you want - the sound guy that's not going to fumble, but may not get those extra yards or break one for a TD OR that 50/50 guy that may fumble, but has the chance to get you 6.

Maxie the Taxi
08-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Everytime Ross is back to field a punt, I hold my breath. First time I saw Hyde field a punt, I was impressed. He just looked natural and has continued to look natural doing it. But, Ross, IMO has the ability to get more yards, at least from what I've seen.

So, what do you want - the sound guy that's not going to fumble, but may not get those extra yards or break one for a TD OR that 50/50 guy that may fumble, but has the chance to get you 6.

I'm for leaving the "getting 6" stuff to Rodgers and crew. Give me a guy with sure hands everytime. Turnovers lose games.

Brandon494
08-30-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm for leaving the "getting 6" stuff to Rodgers and crew. Give me a guy with sure hands everytime. Turnovers lose games.

What he said.

Packers4Glory
08-30-2013, 01:48 PM
What he said.

thirded

Fritz
08-30-2013, 02:00 PM
No, you dummies. You put Ross AND Hyde back there. Hyde catches the punt, he hands it gently over to Ross, and takes off to block the first guy coming for Ross.

Ross runs it back.

I am relentlessly innovative. I leverage my resources to create opportunity to monetize my assets. And stuff.

wist43
08-30-2013, 02:14 PM
LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!

Guy, you take 1 person disagreeing with you and say "every one of you". We get it. You hate Capers and small lineman. You know what....we get it. There's a reason on a few people still reply to you.

Okay, I'll stop posting then... as long as you guys got the msg - thought maybe the microphone wasn't on.

Most humble apologies, my bad ;)

pbmax
08-30-2013, 03:35 PM
What he said.

I find your and Maxie's lack of faith (in superior athletic talent) disturbing. :)

Seriously though, I think the offense is going to need a boost and improving on mediocre KOR is one way to help.

Just as I was fine with fumbling Randall Cobb on returns, I will take the risk with Ross.

Hyde makes the team regardless, so if M3 wants him back there in a sure handed role like Woodson, then I am fine with that. But Ross needs to be involved.

pbmax
08-30-2013, 03:35 PM
No, you dummies. You put Ross AND Hyde back there. Hyde catches the punt, he hands it gently over to Ross, and takes off to block the first guy coming for Ross.

Ross runs it back.

I am relentlessly innovative. I leverage my resources to create opportunity to monetize my assets. And stuff.

Working on your resume or taking a B School class? :D

Zool
08-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Okay, I'll stop posting then... as long as you guys got the msg - thought maybe the microphone wasn't on.

Most humble apologies, my bad ;)

K

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2013, 03:41 PM
I find your and Maxie's lack of faith (in superior athletic talent) disturbing. :)

Seriously though, I think the offense is going to need a boost and improving on mediocre KOR is one way to help.

Just as I was fine with fumbling Randall Cobb on returns, I will take the risk with Ross.

Hyde makes the team regardless, so if M3 wants him back there in a sure handed role like Woodson, then I am fine with that. But Ross needs to be involved.

Agreed. To me, Ross looks like he could be a top notch return man. He also seems like he'd be the best option in the slot, if something were to happen to Cobb. I think Nelson, Jones, and Boykin can hold down the outside spots.

Maxie the Taxi
08-30-2013, 03:43 PM
pb, I've got a question for you. Can you throw a forward pass off a caught punt or kickoff. I know you can have a free kick off a fair caught kickoff. Mmmm. Wonder if you can do it off a fair caught punt...

pbmax
08-30-2013, 03:52 PM
pb, I've got a question for you. Can you throw a forward pass off a caught punt or kickoff. I know you can have a free kick off a fair caught kickoff. Mmmm. Wonder if you can do it off a fair caught punt...

Don't think so in either case. Laterals on punts and kickoffs must not be forward. Fair caught punt doesn't give an option other than normal down.

denverYooper
08-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 5m

Former Jets RB Joe McKnight. RT @Joejetlife: Headed to GREEN BAY TOMORROW #freshstart

pbmax
08-30-2013, 03:53 PM
WHAT!?

Well then I think that puts a foot into Ross' backside. Wow.

packer4life
08-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Hyde allowed a 60 yard net punt last night bc he signaled for fair catch despite no defender within 10 yards of him.

I'm sorry, but Ross gives you a shot at a quick 6 everytime the ball is in his hands. Hyde will get you a fair catch or a nimble little shuffle for 3 yards. I'll take Ross everytime.

Just catching the ball is enough for some of you on punt returns? That is akin to just being able to line up players properly on defense. Hawk at ILB is like Hyde as punt returner, just the bare minimum. No thanks.

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 5m

Former Jets RB Joe McKnight. RT @Joejetlife: Headed to GREEN BAY TOMORROW #freshstart

Interesting. Say goodbye to Jeremy Reed? If true, it would be good news for Tyrone Walker.

denverYooper
08-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 4m

With #Packers, look for Joe McKnight to be kickoff returner & possible change-of-pace back, where he'd replace DuJuan Harris.

denverYooper
08-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Probably means Ross + another RB are gone if this goes through.

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Hyde allowed a 60 yard net punt last night bc he signaled for fair catch despite no defender within 10 yards of him.

I'm sorry, but Ross gives you a shot at a quick 6 everytime the ball is in his hands. Hyde will get you a fair catch or a nimble little shuffle for 3 yards. I'll take Ross everytime.

Just catching the ball is enough for some of you on punt returns? That is akin to just being able to line up players properly on defense. Hawk at ILB is like Hyde as punt returner, just the bare minimum. No thanks.

I agree, but McKnight is similarly good in the return game. If true, it would be intersting. Starks or Green would likely be gone. Walker would likely stay. Basically, a move from McKnight would mean the Packers preferred to have Walker (or whomever they keep at #5 WR) over Starks (or Green). McKnight would come with a lot of baggage though.

pbmax
08-30-2013, 04:00 PM
A 'change of pace' change of pace back OR a third down, pass blocking, screen running, pass catching change of pace back?

Cause if its the latter, then I guess M3 has some pull with ol' Ted.

denverYooper
08-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 1m

If this is really Joe McKnight's Twitter account. #unverified. RT @Joejetlife: Headed to GREEN BAY TOMORROW #freshstart

pbmax
08-30-2013, 04:02 PM
I agree, but McKnight is similarly good in the return game. If true, it would be intersting. Starks or Green would likely be gone. Walker would likely stay. Basically, a move from McKnight would mean the Packers preferred to have Walker (or whomever they keep at #5 WR) over Starks (or Green). McKnight would come with a lot of baggage though.

Both Starks and Green looked pedestrian last night, esp. Green. But there was a lot of trash flowing around their runs with the 2nd and 3rd team.

pbmax
08-30-2013, 04:05 PM

If this is really Joe McKnight's Twitter account. #unverified. RT @Joejetlife: Headed to GREEN BAY TOMORROW #freshstart

Darin Gantt at PFT and Evan Silva are real reporters and they buy it. It might be legit. Need to go read NY writers to see if they know its actually McKnight behind that account.

packer4life
08-30-2013, 04:06 PM
If McKnight is headed in, Alex Green is heading out. He looks so terribly ordinary.

Patler
08-30-2013, 04:07 PM

Don't think so in either case. Laterals on punts and kickoffs must not be forward. Fair caught punt doesn't give an option other than normal down.

Yes, you can have a free kick off a fair caught punt. That's how Mason Crosby attempted the 69 yard field goal a few years back. Blackmon called for a fair catch, and Crosby took a free kick (I think with time expired.)

denverYooper
08-30-2013, 04:09 PM
If McKnight is headed in, Alex Green is heading out. He looks so terribly ordinary.

Would be my guess also. McKnight would cover the duties that they had slated for Green and then some.

pbmax
08-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 17m
Former Jets RB Joe McKnight tweeted that he's headed to Green Bay tomorrow. Would be decent fit in that system if he can stay healthy. #nyj

He should know, who knows if he does? Mehta works for the Daily News.

pbmax
08-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Yes, you can have a free kick off a fair caught punt. That's how Mason Crosby attempted the 69 yard field goal a few years back. Blackmon called for a fair catch, and Crosby took a free kick (I think with time expired.)

See? Never ask me about the rules :lol:

Patler
08-30-2013, 04:14 PM
So, this McKnight thing would have to be from a trade. What would GB give up for him? Draft pick? TE? Starks/Green + something? Maybe even Ross.

Maxie the Taxi
08-30-2013, 04:14 PM
From Rotoworld:
http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news?r=1

Packers signed RB/KR Joe McKnight, formerly of the Jets.
It's another indication of the Packers' disappointment in fourth-round pick Johnathan Franklin. In Green Bay, look for 25-year-old McKnight to take over as the primary kickoff returner and compete to replace DuJuan Harris as the change-of-pace back behind Eddie Lacy. Lacy's every-down back role is not threatened. Although he's capable of helping Green Bay's special teams, McKnight has very little fantasy football appeal with the Packers.

pbmax
08-30-2013, 04:16 PM
So, this McKnight thing would have to be from a trade. What would GB give up for him? Draft pick? TE? Starks/Green + something? Maybe even Ross.

BJ Coleman to complete the set of former Packer QBs.

packer4life
08-30-2013, 04:17 PM

Mcknight picked up off the scrap heap. Part of first cuts with the Jets. Now doesn't that instill faith in his abilities...

denverYooper
08-30-2013, 04:18 PM
I have not seen DJ Williams on anyone's 53 man roster lately. Here, JS, GBPG, Packers blogs, pretty much no one has him making the team. Some of the beat guys have them cutting Q as well. I found that interesting, because those are the 2 who can do a little of everything. All of the other TEs are more one-dimensional.

Maxie the Taxi
08-30-2013, 04:18 PM
More from Rotoworld:

Jets waived RB Joe McKnight.
McKnight entered the summer firmly on the roster bubble, but seemed to be saved by Chris Ivory's injury woes and Mike Goodson's legal troubles. That was not the case, as McKnight barely practiced in camp thanks to injury issues of his own, including a concussion and migraines. McKnight is a solid kick returner, but rushed the ball just 112 times in three years in New York, averaging 4.5 yards per carry. He's had durability issues. His special-teams prowess should land him a new job in relatively short order. Aug 26 - 8:21 AM

pbmax
08-30-2013, 04:20 PM
I have not seen DJ Williams on anyone's 53 man roster lately. Here, JS, GBPG, Packers blogs, pretty much no one has him making the team. Some of the beat guys have them cutting Q as well. I found that interesting, because those are the 2 who can do a little of everything. All of the other TEs are more one-dimensional.

DJ just doesn't seem to have a role if he cannot translate hands to the game.

Quarless does have a role but its covered to some degree by Mulligan and Taylor. Would not be surprised to see him stick around to knock the rust off.

Maxie the Taxi
08-30-2013, 04:21 PM
112 Rushes in three years. Migraines. Injury issues. ...Well, there goes the change of pace RB idea.

denverYooper
From Rotoworld:
http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news?r=1

Wow. Rotoworld has him signed already?

Patler
Doesn't McKnight have to clear waivers? How long has he been around?

pbmax
08-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Doesn't McKnight have to clear waivers? How long has he been around?

First year was 2010

denverYooper
08-30-2013, 04:22 PM
112 Rushes in three years. Migraines. Injury issues. ...Well, there goes the change of pace RB idea.

He'll fit in well with the Packers IR... err, RBs.

pbmax
08-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 34s
Former Jets RB Joe McKnight is having a tryout for the Packers. Not signed at this point, as @MikeGarafolo reported. #nyj

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 4m
Btw FA RB Joe McKnight has not signed with the Packers. Merely heading there for a workout at this point.

Sanity returns.

denverYooper
08-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 4m

Btw FA RB Joe McKnight has not signed with the Packers. Merely heading there for a workout at this point.

Patler
08-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Apparently he was cut in the first cutdown to 75 and has already cleared waivers.

denverYooper
08-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Maybe he's going to be this team's Desmond Howard.

pbmax
08-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Well that was more fun than traditional cutdown days!

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2013, 04:34 PM
McKnight is a kickoff returner, so it's conceivable that Ross would still be in the picture as 6th WR and PR if McKnight is even signed. McKnight could potentiallly be taking the place of Alex Green.

Maxie the Taxi
08-30-2013, 04:44 PM
McKnight probably won't pass his physical.

Patler
08-30-2013, 04:49 PM
He will be signed only if he is willing to play for the minimum and accept a split contract paying half that when he goes on IR.

Maxie the Taxi
08-30-2013, 04:50 PM
McKnight Highlights w/Jets...Two KR's for TD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsh3LZeFKDQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE4GD8vNKfE

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2013, 05:02 PM
McKnight is a kickoff returner, so it's conceivable that Ross would still be in the picture as 6th WR and PR if McKnight is even signed. McKnight could potentiallly be taking the place of Alex Green.

I always thought that Green & Franklin were redundant, and one had to go. McKnight could be a better runner from scrimmage.

RashanGary
08-30-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm feeling pretty good about my roster prediction. I left Starks and Ross out. Green and Franklin may be redundant, but Starks is just a bad player with no ST value.

wist43
08-30-2013, 05:25 PM

Remember the "Music City Miracle"??

packer4life
08-30-2013, 05:52 PM
KICKALICIOUS!

This day keeps getting crazier. I don't think Mason Crosby has been able to breathe all camp, and it continues with them working out this Norwegian guy

Iron Mike
08-30-2013, 07:48 PM
https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/1185064_10151799900884014_2089428917_n.jpg

pbmax
08-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Special Team scores against the Texans shouldn't count as that is the only ST coach the Packers shouldn't consider hiring to replace Slocum. They have been seriously bad for years.

Pugger
08-31-2013, 07:33 AM
A 'change of pace' change of pace back OR a third down, pass blocking, screen running, pass catching change of pace back?

Cause if its the latter, then I guess M3 has some pull with ol' Ted.

I'd like a back that can get beyond the LOS with our lovely O line consistently.

Pugger
08-31-2013, 07:35 AM

Do we really want a reject from the Jets of all teams? :???:

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 08:19 AM
Bob McGinn seemed to be playing grim reaper this morning. Reading between the lines, he cut:
Vince Young, Andrew Quarless, Johnny Jolly & Brandon Bostick

His murderous eyes also lingered on:
Alex Green, Greg Van Roten, Johnathan Franklin, Andy Mulumba, Nate Palmer

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/john-kuhn-could-be-go-to-man-on-3rd-downs-b9987460z1-221889711.html

We'll know soon - but not soon enough. I'm tired of waiting for a dribble of news.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 08:31 AM
I would say that if the Packers are looking seriously at McKnight, then either Johnnathan Franklin or Alex Green are gone.

Bossman641
08-31-2013, 08:49 AM
I would say that if the Packers are looking seriously at McKnight, then either Johnnathan Franklin or Alex Green are gone.

This. It would be very unlike TT to cut Franklin but I see McKnight as more of a Franklin replacement than a Green/Starks replacement.

Pugger
08-31-2013, 09:25 AM
If we were bringing in QBs for tryouts I'd buy it that Vince Young is gone - unless we are gonna go after any QBs cut by other teams today. When are these announcements supposed to be released?

mraynrand
08-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Bob McGinn was all 'no huddle, no huddle, no huddle' but if the Packers go no huddle and don't substitute, aren' t they forced to leave Lacey in on third downs? If they substitute it's not really 'no huddle' but 'hurry up.' Scoops McGinn seems to believe that only Kuhn and maybe Green can pass pro in the backfield. If true, there is absolutely no way they can cut either of these guys, with the state of the O-line.

Franklin looked good in a number of ways on Thursday, except pass pro. It seems most backs take a couple of years to get this down; some like Starks never do.

So Lacey, Kuhn, Franklin, Green make the team and McKnight would have to be crazy good at returns and as third down back to justify keeping him. Ross would be gone, but they still keep 5 wideouts. Maybe a TE loses that spot. They cut Franklin, he doesn't make practice squad.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 09:32 AM
If we were bringing in QBs for tryouts I'd buy it that Vince Young is gone - unless we are gonna go after any QBs cut by other teams today. When are these announcements supposed to be released?

They could cut Young and put Coleman on the roster as placeholder. I think Young is the backup QB for this year. But it's not closing time yet, and TT will be looking around the bar for more prospects this weekend.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 09:35 AM
They cut Franklin, he doesn't make practice squad.

I don't know about this. McGinn describes McKnight as an older version of Franklin, skill set wise. If TT doesn't think Franklin is as good as a Jets castoff who cleared waivers, what do other professional evaluators think of Franklin?

mraynrand
08-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Jolly vs. Boyd vs. Miller Scoops says these three for two spots. Boyd just hasn't shown much, even though he has measurables. Scoops says he won't make the PS. Miller you love to keep. Lotta hustle and good instincts. Jolly knows how to play, but sometimes he plays too much and loses discipline. he will be good in the limited snaps they give him. Boyd will probably be one of those guys that hangs around for a long time like a Muir or a Corey Williams, but never be more than a decent placeholder. I say keep Jolly and Miller, try to PS Boyd.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 09:38 AM
Jolly vs. Boyd vs. Miller Scoops says these three for two spots.

one spot. maybe two.

I say keep Jolly and Miller, try to PS Boyd.
This is what I want too, but I think it means sacrificing a linebacker.

pbmax
08-31-2013, 09:39 AM
Bob McGinn was all 'no huddle, no huddle, no huddle' but if the Packers go no huddle and don't substitute, aren' t they forced to leave Lacey in on third downs? If they substitute it's not really 'no huddle' but 'hurry up.' Scoops McGinn seems to believe that only Kuhn and maybe Green can pass pro in the backfield. If true, there is absolutely no way they can cut either of these guys, with the state of the O-line.

Franklin looked good in a number of ways on Thursday, except pass pro. It seems most backs take a couple of years to get this down; some like Starks never do.

So Lacey, Kuhn, Franklin, Green make the team and McKnight would have to be crazy good at returns and as third down back to justify keeping him. Ross would be gone, but they still keep 5 wideouts. Maybe a TE loses that spot. They cut Franklin, he doesn't make practice squad.

No huddle for the Packers means Rodgers could call it if he likes the matchup. He got this versus Seattle I think (maybe Rams) when the Packers were in 3 WR, 1 RB and Seahawks were in base. Suddenly Rodgers went to no huddle. Lacy could be in there for such a period.

Hurry up is pace and tempo increasing (and pad level lower) and I think is a call McCarthy makes at the beginning of a drive. Then you might get the 3rd down back.

But I would not expect the Packers to be running either more than 50% of the time. M3 still believes in situational football (burn the clock with running) and isn't going to go full time like the Pats or Eagles. The 3rd down back will get a decent number of snaps.

Its a tough call. Green is not the runner Starks is now, but he does run tough. Starks has no special teams value and is a mess on 3rd downs unless he hangs on to a screen.

I agree I would keep Green as primary down backup plus guy who could get you through 3rd downs and play some special teams. Stakrs would be gone, sacrificed for the chance to develop Franklin.

mraynrand
08-31-2013, 09:39 AM
I don't know about this. McGinn describes McKnight as an older version of Franklin, skill set wise. If TT doesn't think Franklin is as good as a Jets castoff who cleared waivers, what do other professional evaluators think of Franklin?

McKnight has baggage. Franklin can play teams, catch and run on third downs. Just don't ask him to pass pro.

mraynrand
08-31-2013, 09:43 AM
They could cut Young and put Coleman on the roster as placeholder. I think Young is the backup QB for this year. But it's not closing time yet, and TT will be looking around the bar for more prospects this weekend.

If you believe that "scout" that McGinn cited, VY hasn't a damn clue out there. If true, how does McCarthy work with a backup who can't run his offense and just wings it? VY is an enormous tease. All the physical ability in the world, great arm and pretty ball, but ??? nothing between the ears?? He's like Warren Moon after a TIA*.

TIA = transient ischemic attack or mini-stroke

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 09:44 AM
I agree I would keep Green as primary down backup plus guy who could get you through 3rd downs and play some special teams. Stakrs would be gone, sacrificed for the chance to develop Franklin.

Starks is a better runner from scrimmage than Green. With DuJuan Harris out, Starks made the team. Remember, Lacy is bound to miss some time, he always does, most RBs miss some games.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 09:47 AM
If you believe that "scout" that McGinn cited, VY hasn't a damn clue out there.

No, I don't believe that scout. When people get a bad impression of somebody, they mostly hold-on to that impression for life. Plenty of people have judged Vince Young very harshly, but that is because they start with hardened, pre-conceived views.

pbmax
08-31-2013, 09:49 AM
Starks is a better runner from scrimmage than Green. With DuJuan Harris out, Starks made the team. Remember, Lacy is bound to miss some time, he always does, most RBs miss some games.

Starks can only do Harris' job on 1st and 2nd down and has repeated health trouble of his own. You then have no true backup on 3rd down when Rodgers health is at stake.

Green can run inside like Lacy AND help on 3rd down PLUS special teams. I don't want Starks gone, but Green is the better match for openings on the team.

mraynrand
08-31-2013, 09:52 AM
No, I don't believe that scout. When people get a bad impression of somebody, they mostly hold-on to that impression for life. Plenty of people have judged Vince Young very harshly, but that is because they start with hardened, pre-conceived views.

If the Packers cut him, then you're most likely off the mark (but still could be right; a few weeks isn't enough time for even braniac to internalize Stubby's manifesto of a playbook). If they keep him you're most likely right (although you could be wrong - they may just be that desperate), and Stubby must believe that he's retaining something and can fill in. I hope they keep him. I hope he never plays.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Starks can only do Harris' job on 1st and 2nd down and has repeated health trouble of his own. You then have no true backup on 3rd down when Rodgers health is at stake.

Green can run inside like Lacy AND help on 3rd down PLUS special teams. I don't want Starks gone, but Green is the better match for openings on the team.

Starks is better than Green on 1st and 2nd down. Ding-ding-ding - team made. Lacy could easily get hurt.

Green's versatility counts, but he is competing with Franklin and now McKnight for that role.

If I have to cut one of Green, Franklin and McKnight..... Oh hell, I have no idea how good McKnight is, but probably Franklin in trouble.

mraynrand
08-31-2013, 09:53 AM

And Starks may be available, like Ryan Grant last year! (note: hopefully not, because I can't take any more injuries!)

mraynrand
08-31-2013, 09:56 AM
Sorry Harlan, you're most likely wrong. VY is gone. :cry:

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 09:56 AM
And Starks may be available, like Ryan Grant last year!

No way. Starks is a poor-man's Adrian Peterson. Well, abject poverty. I can see MN using him as a backup. Starks is pretty good, IMO, as a pure hard runner.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 09:58 AM
Sorry Harlan, you're most likely wrong. VY is gone. :cry:

WEll, life is a journey. There's always the CFL and Arena League.

Uhh Ohhh, does this mean that Johnny Jolly is gone too? McGinn is 1-0.

mraynrand
08-31-2013, 09:59 AM
No way. Starks is a poor-man's Adrian Peterson. Well, abject poverty. I can see MN using him as a backup. Starks is pretty good, IMO, as a pure hard runner.

Hey that's what a said a few days ago - that MN would pick him up. Scary that we are on the same page...

mraynrand
08-31-2013, 10:00 AM
WEll, life is a journey. There's always the CFL and Arena League.

Coaching the Lingerie League. Vince can focus on the ladies since his playbook will only have two pages.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 10:01 AM
BTW, if TT is looking for a trade, why didn't he wait until 4:59 to cut Young?

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Hey that's what a said a few days ago - that MN would pick him up. Scary that we are on the same page...

I probably stole the idea from you.

mraynrand
08-31-2013, 10:03 AM
BTW, if TT is looking for a trade, why didn't he wait until 4:59 to cut Young?

??? You figure he could have gotten a roll of tape?

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 10:04 AM
How do the Packers arrive at August 31 without even a shadow of a backup QB? This has never happened before.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 10:05 AM
??? You figure he could have gotten a roll of tape?

No. But now the Packers are desperate, or at least more desperate. Better to pretend that we are fine with Vince Young - tall, fast 32-17, multiple threat, experienced, low mileage, a real gentleman, only driven to church on Sundays the past couple years - but we might consider a 7th rounder for your guy.

Willard
08-31-2013, 10:13 AM
How do the Packers arrive at August 31 without even a shadow of a backup QB? This has never happened before.
Plan B has to be to keep a roster that maximizes AR protection. Because if he goes down I really believe we win 5 games, and a high draft pick.

pbmax
08-31-2013, 10:34 AM
Plan B has to be to keep a roster that maximizes AR protection. Because if he goes down I really believe we win 5 games, and a high draft pick.

Backup QB: Chad Clifton

Fritz
08-31-2013, 02:13 PM
Graham Harrell, anyone?

Or would the potential safety of being a backup be balm for Mark Sanchez's bruised psyche?

Guiness
08-31-2013, 04:18 PM
I don't understand why Starks is judged such a tire fire on third downs? I always thought being a 3rd down back was more about learning the protections and executing them, so experience helped. Hasn't he been in the league long enough to learn them? Is there some reason that he just can't block?

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Is there some reason that he just can't block?

He has a high center of gravity. But I agree, you would think he could learn. What I notice is that they always send him out into the flat as safety value on passes, well most of the time. Clearly they aren't even going to try and use him for protection.

pbmax
08-31-2013, 04:27 PM
I don't understand why Starks is judged such a tire fire on third downs? I always thought being a 3rd down back was more about learning the protections and executing them, so experience helped. Hasn't he been in the league long enough to learn them? Is there some reason that he just can't block?

One time, Starks didn't even try to use his hands against 256-pound Ridge Wilson. He tried some kind of shoulder-block cut block to which Wilson said "thank you" and went right through to the quarterback.

Also, while he is dangerous on screens and learned to follow blockers better as he got game experience, his hands are average at best.

Smidgeon
09-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Also, while he is dangerous on screens and learned to follow blockers better as he got game experience, his hands are average at best.

Remember when someone was touting his ability to split wide as a WR in the passing game coming out of college? Who was that?

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Graham Harrell, anyone?

Not a chance, pal. He's runnin with a new gang, piss on you.
When you're a jet you're a jet all the way from your first cigarette to your last dying' day

http://deploreibol.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/west-side-story.jpg

Iron Mike
09-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Not a chance, pal. He's runnin with a new gang, piss on you.
When you're a jet you're a jet all the way from your first cigarette to your last dying' day

http://www.philorch.org/sites/default/files/styles/subpage_slider_image/public/hero_image/WSS-jets-snap_0.jpg

Fixed.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Ahhh, OK, the hispanic guys looked like more fun and danger. But you're right, that was the Sharks, and it makes sense that Harrell belongs with a bunch of boring finger snappers.

Iron Mike
09-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Ahhh, OK, the hispanic guys looked like more fun and danger. But you're right, that was the Sharks, and it makes sense that Harrell belongs with a bunch of boring finger snappers.

I could never figure out why that gang wasn't called Los Tiburones, but then I guess back in '61 no one was into keepin' it real.....

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 07:56 AM
I could never figure out why that gang wasn't called Los Tiburones, but then I guess back in '61 no one was into keepin' it real.....

I'm more confused why all the aliens on the planets visited by Kirk & Spock spoke English. There's a lot of funny business on TV.

Iron Mike
09-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Great, now I'm gonna wanna watch gang movies all day...can you dig it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-OYKd8SVrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4JUGYHEEnA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLKbcrC0krQ

gbgary
09-01-2013, 08:53 AM
saw a quote this morning that 38% of our roster is undrafted fa's. also note we only have 4 left from 2011 draft. commentary on drafting or scouting or both? maybe that drafting is such a crap-shoot where we've been drafting. I blame slocum.

wist43
09-01-2013, 09:10 AM
saw a quote this morning that 38% of our roster is undrafted fa's. also note we only have 4 left from 2011 draft. commentary on drafting or scouting or both? maybe that drafting is such a crap-shoot where we've been drafting. I blame slocum.

That's amazing - I hadn't noticed either. Sent me looking at the 2011 draft class - which I hated b/c TT did nothing for the defense.

Here is a quote from Bleacherreport on the 2011 draft: "The Packers GM Ted Thompson has done an amazing job building the Packers through the draft. Time and time again he has found good value in late round picks no one would think would succeed."

Sherrod - injury excuse, but looked awful before he got hurt
Cobb - great pick
Green - another injury, never bounced back
House - we all like him, he needs to step up
Williams - nothing
Schlauderaff - terrible pick
DJ Smith - too undersized
Elmore - terrible pick
Taylor - who cares
Guy - flipping burgers

Injuries factored in - that's still a terrible draft.

Joemailman
09-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Yeah, I was looking at this last night. Only 2 players who will be significant contributors on opening day. Amazing what a bad draft will do to your depth a couple years down the road.

2012 looksa little better though, once Hayward and Worthy are healthy.

Fritz
09-01-2013, 09:22 AM
That's amazing - I hadn't noticed either. Sent me looking at the 2011 draft class - which I hated b/c TT did nothing for the defense.

Here is a quote from Bleacherreport on the 2011 draft: "The Packers GM Ted Thompson has done an amazing job building the Packers through the draft. Time and time again he has found good value in late round picks no one would think would succeed."

Sherrod - injury excuse, but looked awful before he got hurt
Cobb - great pick
Green - another injury, never bounced back
House - we all like him, he needs to step up
Williams - nothing
Schlauderaff - terrible pick
DJ Smith - too undersized
Elmore - terrible pick
Taylor - who cares
Guy - flipping burgers

Injuries factored in - that's still a terrible draft.

Guy plays for the Colts. 12 tackles and a sack last year.

I care about Taylor, and you would too if he weren't here and his replacement couldn't keep his lane so the opposition gets a 90 yard kickoff return.

Opinions differ on Sherrod. We just don't know.

And yes, the other schlubs were schlubs.

denverYooper
09-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Packers continuing to evaluate other players...

Sam McGuffie ‏@MrMcGuffie 2m

Killed my workout with the #packers

Joemailman
09-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Who the hell is Sam McGuffie?

wist43
09-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Guy plays for the Colts. 12 tackles and a sack last year.

I care about Taylor, and you would too if he weren't here and his replacement couldn't keep his lane so the opposition gets a 90 yard kickoff return.

Opinions differ on Sherrod. We just don't know.

And yes, the other schlubs were schlubs.

I can stay in my lane - where do I sign up?? :)

As for Guy, I liked him... thought he could develop, but alas, they kicked him to the curb. No worries, we don't need no sticking defensive linemen anyway - only play 2 at a time.

pbmax
09-01-2013, 09:36 AM

Former Rice WR (switched from RB to WR for senior season) apparently. Trying out for RB.

Thank McCarthy wants someone to catch the ball out of the backfield? Or is this about returns?

Joemailman
09-01-2013, 09:43 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/sam-mcguffie?id=2541136

OVERVIEW
After witnessing McGuffie's workout at the Super Regional Combine at Cowboys Stadium, NFL.com and NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks wrote: The diverse job description of the slot receiver in the NFL leads evaluators to covet prospects with versatile skills. McGuffie definitely qualifies, based on his standout career as a running back/receiver at Rice following a one-year stint at Michigan. He finished with over 1,000 yards rushing and receiving at Rice, displaying intriguing skills with the ball in his hands. McGuffie routinely turned quick passes and bubble screens into big gains, while also showing the ability to work effectively between the hashes. He continued to impress scouts with his talent at regional combines. He clocked 40 times in the 4.3-second range while also posting impressive measurements in the vertical jump (40.5 inches), broad jump (11-foot-2) and short shuttle (4.02 seconds). Those numbers place McGuffie near the top of the charts among his peers in the 2013 draft class. Now, McGuffie's injury history (numerous concussions) is a concern, but his combination of speed, quickness and running skills will make him a strong late-round prospect in draft rooms across the league.

mraynrand
09-01-2013, 10:57 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dnpQ8MHU_-8/T6Ye83hHLxI/AAAAAAAAC3s/VCoiGGa1J3M/s320/The-Maltese-Falcon-1941-movie-props.jpg

pbmax
09-01-2013, 11:01 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dnpQ8MHU_-8/T6Ye83hHLxI/AAAAAAAAC3s/VCoiGGa1J3M/s320/The-Maltese-Falcon-1941-movie-props.jpg

Cannot resist watching that movie if its on. Which is weird, since the surprise is obviously gone at this point.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 11:03 AM
McGuffin

NewsBruin
09-01-2013, 12:56 PM
McGuffin

He's the one everybody's after.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 01:40 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin

I thought "the bird" was the McGuffin in "The Maltese Falcon"

denverYooper
09-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 13m

For those wondering about Joe McKnight, his workout was today and not Saturday as was previously scheduled. No word yet how it went #Packers