PDA

View Full Version : Branden Albert - A Remote Possibility?

Fritz
08-14-2013, 07:49 AM
As most of you probably know, I am a Thompson supporter, and I generally pooh-pooh fannish trade proposals ("let's trade Tramon Williams for two first round picks!"). To me, trading a player you don't really want for a mid-round pick (Is Alex Green even tradeable, at all?) or trading for a big name are usually fan-tasy dreams and not remotely real.

So here's my question: is it realistic, in terms of price to be paid, future sal cap considerations, fit with the team/offense, to trade for Branden Albert? I know he's in his franchise tag year - 9 mill, I think? I know the Packers have a boatload of their own to consider, primarily Raji, Shields, Finley, Jones. I know Albert would cost probably a second round pick. I know Bulaga and Sherrod are in the shadows.

Still, trading a second round pick for Albert would seem to solve what is the Packers' biggest problem. He's started 71 of a possible 80 games in his four years. He's supposedly a guy who can run and pass block. And he can do it well. The team has swung for left tackles in the first round in two of the last four drafts and basically come up empty thanks in my opinion to injuries.

Would it be worth a second round pick, and a long term contract for Albert, knowing that in doing so you'd be sacrificing what, Finley, at least, and possible Finley and Shields? Could the team afford both Albert and Raji? Would such a move mess up the Randle El Cobb future negotiations?

I don't know a whole lot about Albert. I don't know if he's "Packer People," though I'm still not sure if Finley is, either.

All this assumes the Chiefs would be willing. I haven't heard anything either way, but I do know they see Fisher as their starting left tackle.

So would a move like this be realistic, and if so, do people think it would solve the Packers' left tackle problem? With Bulaga's string of injuries and Sherrod's one massive injury, it's not like the team would have to think about second contracts for either one of those guys if they were to obtain Albert.

red
08-14-2013, 08:17 AM
the big main problem i see is the new contract

he's probably gonna get top LT money, can we afford another top money contract after giving ones to a-rod and clay?

hoosier
08-14-2013, 08:21 AM
It seems like every year TT manages to do one thing that breaks with his previous tendencies, something everyone says he'd never do. Trading a high draft pick for a guy who's going to eat up almost 10% of the salary cap, after having signed Rodgers and Matthews to monster contracts. Now there is something TT would never do.

Upnorth
08-14-2013, 08:21 AM
I was banging the Winston drum earlier, and he was inexpensive but no way do we trade for a top LT).

pbmax
08-14-2013, 08:29 AM
To fit, he would need to renegotiate his contract and he would want a long term deal. So a lot depends on his demands.

Even if the franchise tag would fit this year, I wonder if his new deal would fit with the rest of the contracts? Anyone know what kind of deal he wanted?

run pMc
08-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Is it realistic? I don't think so. I'm guessing they've seen enough of Bahktiari to like him at LT, and they'd throw Newhouse out there if they absolutely had to. I think they're still banking on either Sherrod coming back this year or Bulaga next year, and then where does Albert fit? He doesn't want to play G or RT.

TT prizes those R2 picks, and he might need to keep it to upgrade/refresh the roster.

Watch TT goes out and trades for him...

swede
08-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Is it realistic? I don't think so. I'm guessing they've seen enough of Bahktiari to like him at LT, and they'd throw Newhouse out there if they absolutely had to. I think they're still banking on either Sherrod coming back this year or Bulaga next year, and then where does Albert fit? He doesn't want to play G or RT.

TT prizes those R2 picks, and he might need to keep it to upgrade/refresh the roster.

Thanks. I needed that dose of reality like a cold splash of water in the face. I'm thinking more clearly now.

http://gifb.in/w8sV

Reality hurts.

Fritz
08-14-2013, 10:51 AM

As much as I like Bahkteria's potential, you're protecting your most important player with a 4th round rookie. It makes me nervous. If a third guy has to make top-tier money, I wouldn't mind it being the starting left tackle - if he's really worth it, and if he has shown he can stay on the field. I would only want Albert as a (hopefull) long term solution at what has been the left tackle turnstile.

run pMc
08-14-2013, 11:50 AM
As much as I like Bahkteria's potential, you're protecting your most important player with a 4th round rookie. It makes me nervous. If a third guy has to make top-tier money, I wouldn't mind it being the starting left tackle - if he's really worth it, and if he has shown he can stay on the field. I would only want Albert as a (hopefull) long term solution at what has been the left tackle turnstile.

Fair points. As much as I'd feel better having a decent veteran LT step in, I don't think TT will mortgage the future (in terms of salary cap, roster spots, and draft picks) to do it. From what I've seen, it's not part of his draft-and-develop philosophy.
Aside from Newhouse, I'm not sure there's another healthy lineman on the roster they'd trot out at LT for Week 1...which is a concern. While I'd love if Sherrod could come back and show something, I think that won't happen until next year. So TT will roll with his guys, forcing M3 to adjust his playcalling and Rodgers to hopefully get rid of the ball faster.

At the risk of serving kool-aid, consider that they prefer Bahktiari at LT over Newhouse...which implies he should be an even trade or an upgrade over last year's model of Marshall Newhouse. If they can run the ball this year that will help slow the pass rush as well.

I'm not a Newhouse hater. He seems to be the offense's version of A.J.Hawk: good enough to hold a spot but not so good that you aren't looking to replace him. I think he's ultimately best suited as GB's top backup swing tackle...or the starting tackle on another roster.

Zool
08-14-2013, 12:25 PM
If he signed for 4/$40m, wouldn't that be $40mil per season on 3 players for the next 4 years? I think it would spell the end of Raji and Finley in GB.

At the same time, I watch Brady stand flat footed a few times per game and survey the field. I wonder what Rodgers could do if given that time?

Fritz
08-14-2013, 01:09 PM
If he signed for 4/$40m, wouldn't that be $40mil per season on 3 players for the next 4 years? I think it would spell the end of Raji and Finley in GB.

At the same time, I watch Brady stand flat footed a few times per game and survey the field. I wonder what Rodgers could do if given that time?

I'd be willing to sacrifice Finley for such a move, but if Raji would be allowed to walk, well, that would be a tough call. At the same time, the team has to protect its biggest investment - and I'm not sure how much protection a rookie 4th round left tackle can give.

Plus, if you did have Albert, you could move the rook over to the right side and let him duke it out with Marshmallow and Barclay.

But then again, what do you do IF Bulaga and Sherrod come back next year?

Ah, hell, I dunno. I would just like to see this team settle that damn offensive line.

mraynrand
08-14-2013, 01:22 PM
I'd be willing to sacrifice Finley for such a move, but if Raji would be allowed to walk, well, that would be a tough call.

There's a good chance Finley will be far more valuable than Raji this year and going forward, especially if they keep wasting Raji at nose.

King Friday
08-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Let me think....NO!!

cheesner
08-14-2013, 03:14 PM
I don't think signing Albert makes us a better team in the long run. I don't think he is a top tier talent at LT and we would be spending more than what he is worth. I don't know for sure, but what has leaked out that I have read, I would question his motivation and dedication. Methinks this coming contract he signs puts him on 'easy street' and his work habits may reflect that.

Therefore, I believe we are better taking our lumps for half a season with a rookie at LT, till he is up to speed. From what I have heard, he is much farther along than most rookies.

red
08-14-2013, 04:05 PM
I'd be willing to sacrifice Finley for such a move, but if Raji would be allowed to walk, well, that would be a tough call.

You gotta wonder, if our defense continues to be as pathetic as they have been the last two years, are any of those players worth keeping for big money?

On the other side, you have the most valuable player in the game, and a guy we absolutely cant afford to lose at all

I guess i'm all for finding a real LT and paying him the big bucks. If it costs us raji and finley, oh well

Joemailman
08-14-2013, 04:54 PM
I doubt at this point that KC would be looking to trade their starting LT for anything less than a 1st. Despite their 2-14 record last year, they have some talent and could be pretty good with a solid offensive line.