PDA

View Full Version : Sherrod - expectations considering Flanagan's case

Patler
08-15-2013, 04:43 AM
Is it even reasonable to expect Sherrod to be physically ready to contribute in 2013?

More and more I am seeing parallels drawn to Flanagan's situation. At first, people were distinguishing Flanagan's case as being much more severe than Sherrod's, based on the multiple follow-up procedures he had. But Sherrod had one follow-up this Spring, which I believe was actually his second follow-up. Flanagan had many more than that, but I wonder how much of his situation was attributable to complications, and how much to the recovery from the initial injury itself.

At any rate, Flanagan's history went this way:

1996 - broke both bones on opening kickoff of first exhibition game. Missed entire season.

1997 - on IR for the season.

1998 - traded, but failed physical. Came back to GB. Was kept on the roster as a third center, but was inactive for 13 weeks. Played in first game in week 14, which was 28 months after the injury. Played only a play here and there on ST's the last four weeks.

1999 - kept as backup center. Played regularly on ST's but not otherwise. Some said that he still would not have been ready for more than spot duty, and if Winters had gone done for an extended time, Flanagan might not have been able to withstand full-time duty as a starter.

2000 - first season that he seemed to be unhindered by his injury. Started two games at center, and his career finally stared to take off. He played quite a bit.

2001 - became the starter.

It took Flanagan four years before he was ready to play on any kind of regular basis. Sherrod is just 20 months out from his injury, and still hasn't been cleared from PUP.

Realistically, does he need another year to recover?

red
08-15-2013, 06:05 AM
so you're saying in another two and a half years we might be able to find out if sherrod can play LT at the pro level or not?

when is his contract up? we might actually have to resign him before he is ever healthy enough to play for us again

Patler
08-15-2013, 06:30 AM
so you're saying in another two and a half years we might be able to find out if sherrod can play LT at the pro level or not?

when is his contract up? we might actually have to resign him before he is ever healthy enough to play for us again

He signed a four year contract, with a fifth year club option. The option salary will probably be prohibitive in his case.

I'm hoping he can be full go in 2014, giving the Packers a chance to asses him. But if he isn't, they can probably sign him to a cheap contract for 2015 if they have a need and are still interested.

Who knows, maybe with Barclay and Bakhtieri they won't have to worry about Sherrod's development or about taking a chance on Bulaga's injury history. Bulaga is on a 5 year deal, so he will be a free agent in 2015, just like Sherrod. He might even be a more difficult decision than Sherrod.

pbmax
08-15-2013, 08:30 AM
What was the third procedure? There was the initial surgery in KC and then an offseason one to eliminate something that was making him uncomfortable I believe is how M3 put it.

Anyone remember the second? Infection, removing screws?

run pMc
08-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Realistically, does he need another year to recover?

Yes. I think even if he's medically cleared to practice, he'll need time to shake the rust off, trust his legs and (as they say) "work on his craft" on an NFL level. I'm expecting him to go on PUP or IR this year to help that happen.

Ideally, Barclay and Bahktiari claim the T spots, play well and stay healthy, with Newhouse as the backup swing tackle. When Newhouse inks a fat contract with ARI next year to play LT, they'll have Bulaga and Sherrod in camp and ready to compete with the DBboys for the starting spots.

ThunderDan
08-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Yes. I think even if he's medically cleared to practice, he'll need time to shake the rust off, trust his legs and (as they say) "work on his craft" on an NFL level. I'm expecting him to go on PUP or IR this year to help that happen.

Ideally, Barclay and Bahktiari claim the T spots, play well and stay healthy, with Newhouse as the backup swing tackle. When Newhouse inks a fat contract with ARI next year to play LT, they'll have Bulaga and Sherrod in camp and ready to compete with the DBboys for the starting spots.

+1, could very well happen.

Fritz
08-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Yes, I'm thinking they'll keep him on PUP and see what the team's needs are six weeks in versus how his health is coming along. I'd like to see them have the luxury of putting him on IR this year, and then making next year his comeback year.

Patler
08-15-2013, 08:54 AM
What was the third procedure? There was the initial surgery in KC and then an offseason one to eliminate something that was making him uncomfortable I believe is how M3 put it.

Anyone remember the second? Infection, removing screws?

Just to be clear, I'm not positive there have been three. I have a vague recollection about discussing some sort of follow-up procedure last summer, but i could be mistaken about that and confusing it with the one we know about for sure.

smuggler
08-16-2013, 12:26 AM
I'm fine with another season of Sherry on IR, if he's not ready yet. Why rush it and risk reinjury? He'd have to work on the strength in that leg anyway, so if he did play, he wouldn't be at his best.

RashanGary
08-16-2013, 12:40 AM
Nice post, Patler. I've really liked a lot of your posts on Sherrod. I hate to paraphrase someone who's attention to detail is so profound, but I'll do my best and agree with it.

Sherrod didn't appear game ready as a rookie. Sherrod has a serious leg injury that's affected his ability to work out 100% or practice at all. It looks like he could be a year away as the closest thing to this injury was Flanagan, and it took him time.

Sherrod is an elite athlete with an elite, natural kick-step. If there are strong, positive health signs heading into camp next year, and good workout talk, I'm actually going to be on the Sherrod band-wagon to push for time. And I'll even give him a year on the bench to develop. I thought there was a lot ot be desired from the punch in his pass sets and of course, in his run blocking. The guy is still going to be a rookie when he comes back. I think you and I are in similar boats with Sherrod. I have a feeling when the time comes, both of us might be leading the, "give him a little time" charge if he doesn't perform in his first preseason.

Patler
08-16-2013, 04:51 AM
Nice post, Patler. I've really liked a lot of your posts on Sherrod. I hate to paraphrase someone who's attention to detail is so profound, but I'll do my best and agree with it.

Sherrod didn't appear game ready as a rookie. Sherrod has a serious leg injury that's affected his ability to work out 100% or practice at all. It looks like he could be a year away as the closest thing to this injury was Flanagan, and it took him time.

Sherrod is an elite athlete with an elite, natural kick-step. If there are strong, positive health signs heading into camp next year, and good workout talk, I'm actually going to be on the Sherrod band-wagon to push for time. And I'll even give him a year on the bench to develop. I thought there was a lot ot be desired from the punch in his pass sets and of course, in his run blocking. The guy is still going to be a rookie when he comes back. I think you and I are in similar boats with Sherrod. I have a feeling when the time comes, both of us might be leading the, "give him a little time" charge if he doesn't perform in his first preseason.

I mostly agree with that. The Packers have shown a lot of patience with injured players....until this year when they kicked Smith & Bishop to the curb.

Even if Sherrod is cleared for practice before the end of TC, I can't see him contributing much this year for the very reasons you state. He wasn't at a level to be a starter when he was injured, and I suspect he has regressed since then both in the sharpness of his play and in his physical ability. Strength, quickness, recognition/reaction will be down, and will take a while to come back. It will be hard to do that without an off season and full training camp. There isn't enough practice time during the season to help in those things, so another season of IR might be the best for him. Maybe that will allow him to have a full 2014 program.

Bossman641
08-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Aren''t IR players not allowed to practice with the team? I'd hate to see him go another year with no practice, even if the reps he would be getting are minimal.

I'm going with Fritz and predicting PUP.

Patler
08-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Aren''t IR players not allowed to practice with the team? I'd hate to see him go another year with no practice, even if the reps he would be getting are minimal.

I'm going with Fritz and predicting PUP.

While on PUP, players can not practice either. After the 6th week and before the 11th week they are allowed no more than a 21 consecutive day period when they can practice, and then have to be activated or placed on IR.

PUP only buys 3 weeks in the middle of the season, which won't mean much.

mraynrand
08-16-2013, 11:05 AM
The Packers have shown a lot of patience with injured players....until this year when they kicked Smith & Bishop to the curb.

I think those cases are different: Bishop's ceiling probably had lowered a lot (he wasn't starting from elite skills to begin with) and Smith was also starting from a physical deficit as well. Sherrod just has more potential. The potential factor also explains the patience with Harrell.

denverYooper
08-16-2013, 11:11 AM
I think those cases are different: Bishop's ceiling probably had lowered a lot (he wasn't starting from elite skills to begin with) and Smith was also starting from a physical deficit as well. Sherrod just has more potential. The potential factor also explains the patience with Harrell.

This.

That reminds me that Harrell, in the small number of snaps that he played, showed flashes of dominance. I remember one play (against the Eagles, I believe) where he took out half the OL to make a tackle. His ceiling was easily All-Pro. It's just too bad he could hardly ever get up off of the floor.

Bossman641
08-16-2013, 11:11 AM
While on PUP, players can not practice either. After the 6th week and before the 11th week they are allowed no more than a 21 consecutive day period when they can practice, and then have to be activated or placed on IR.

PUP only buys 3 weeks in the middle of the season, which won't mean much.

Thanks Patler. I did not know about the 21 day restriction.

run pMc
08-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Being a R1 pick also explains the patience with Sherrod and Harrell.

mraynrand
08-16-2013, 02:07 PM

yup

http://www.trbimg.com/img-51003468/turbine/la-sp-sn-jamarcus-russell-20130123-001/600

Smidgeon
08-16-2013, 02:57 PM
This.

That reminds me that Harrell, in the small number of snaps that he played, showed flashes of dominance. I remember one play (against the Eagles, I believe) where he took out half the OL to make a tackle. His ceiling was easily All-Pro. It's just too bad he could hardly ever get up off of the floor.

+1

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2013, 05:13 PM

Ya, but the reason those guys were taken in R1 was because of their physical attributes: huge & athletic guys. It's not a question of GM ego or financial commitment to a first rounder, IMO. Both legitimately have (or had, in the case of Harrell) a chance to be very good players.

Patler
08-17-2013, 02:23 AM

But it doesn't explain their patience with guys like Atari Bigby or James Starks.

mraynrand
08-17-2013, 10:59 AM
But it doesn't explain their patience with guys like Atari Bigby or James Starks.

True. Bigby and Starks were/are explained by: "There's nothing better available"

ThunderDan
08-17-2013, 02:11 PM

Waiting for the Skinbasket rant after you mentioned Bigby.