PDA

View Full Version : You gotta respect a player like this

Patler
08-15-2013, 05:15 AM
I know there are a lot of Bush-haters out there. Not many of us want him to play a whole lot on defense. But it sure doesn't hurt to have a guy like this on your team as a Special Teams leader and 5th CB:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/jarrett-bush-known-for-his-grueling-workouts-b9975723z1-219709871.html

It really isn't hard to see why TT and MM like the guy. It's good to have guys who do things the right way and work relentlessly for the privilege of an NFL roster spot.

red
08-15-2013, 05:57 AM
WORST THREAD EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patler
08-15-2013, 06:12 AM
WORST THREAD EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: I expected some to react that way.

Just wondering, did you even read the article I linked? I hope people do. It is clear that players respect Bush.

Pugger
08-15-2013, 06:36 AM
Jerrett Bush has never made the roster because of his secondary play. He makes the team year after year because of his SP play. Guys like him have value and are needed for the team to have success.

Patler
08-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Jerrett Bush has never made the roster because of his secondary play. He makes the team year after year because of his SP play. Guys like him have value and are needed for the team to have success.

Agreed. What hurt Bush as far as fan acceptance is that for several years they tried to make him the nickel back, and last year they tried to start him. In some ways, the coaches might have been trying to repay him for his dedication and effort by giving him a complete opportunity to be more than a ST guy. Unfortunately, too many fans think only of that, and forget about what he means on ST, or as a leader by example. For me, I just remember him stepping into the Super Bowl and being fully prepared when called on, even though going into the game he had to expect that he wouldn't play a single down on defense in meaningful time.

I would fill out the lower part of my roster with guys like that anytime.

pittstang5
08-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Nice article. I didn’t have any idea that he trains as hard as he does. I’m always amazed that JB, most times, is the first guy in the face of a punt returner, year after year. He’s a pretty good blitzer too. Sounds like his hardcore training as been the reason.

I cringe every time I see him on defense. I think QBs look to see where # 24 is lined up and know that the WR near him will be open. Seems every time Bush plays CB, his receivers are given at least a 5 yard cushion. Most times he makes the tackle, but receivers are allowed to catch passes uncontested. IIRC, didn’t they try him at safety a couple years ago because of injuries at that position. Did he just flat out fail? With all the young guys they have in camp at the CB position, why not try him at safety again?

George Cumby
08-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Nice read.

The pick in the SB was pretty inspired but I don't want to see him back there too much.

He is so outstanding on ST he really is valuable.

run pMc
08-15-2013, 08:23 AM
With all the young guys they have in camp at the CB position, why not try him at safety again?

I think he has value on ST and is worth keeping as a bottom roster half guy.
Like many, I'd rather not see him playing snaps at CB, and have thought -- given his size and mentality -- he should be at safety. IIRC they were trying him at both CB and S in camp, but nothing came of it. I can't remember if injuries hit and they needed him at CB. Don't recall hearing he completely stunk at S.

Thought it was a heartwarming piece by Mr. McGinn.

Maxie the Taxi
08-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Agreed. What hurt Bush as far as fan acceptance is that for several years they tried to make him the nickel back, and last year they tried to start him. In some ways, the coaches might have been trying to repay him for his dedication and effort by giving him a complete opportunity to be more than a ST guy. Unfortunately, too many fans think only of that, and forget about what he means on ST, or as a leader by example. For me, I just remember him stepping into the Super Bowl and being fully prepared when called on, even though going into the game he had to expect that he wouldn't play a single down on defense in meaningful time.

I would fill out the lower part of my roster with guys like that anytime.

Classic Peter Principle at work?

pbmax
08-15-2013, 08:34 AM
The tryout at safety was considered a failure and he went back to corner exclusively. They fiddled with it for a year, and had made a roster call on him being safety #4 and CB 4 or 5, but dumped that the following year.

I think what was a nail in the coffin for him in fan opinion was a bad Special Teams year (2009?) when his calling card wasn't even going in his favor as his DB skills seemed to have peaked.

ThunderDan
08-15-2013, 08:46 AM
The tryout at safety was considered a failure and he went back to corner exclusively. They fiddled with it for a year, and had made a roster call on him being safety #4 and CB 4 or 5, but dumped that the following year.

I think what was a nail in the coffin for him in fan opinion was a bad Special Teams year (2009?) when his calling card wasn't even going in his favor as his DB skills seemed to have peaked.

It was 2007 that he really screwed the pooch. Bush cost us a trip to the Super Bowl.

As much as I can't stand him, Bush's special team play the last few years has been excellent.

Didn't he have two false start penalties on the same punt attempt 3 or 4 years ago and MM finally dragged him off the field and put him on the bench for the third try?

Fritz
08-15-2013, 08:50 AM
Look, you've got to respect how he approaches his profession. He's better prepared for the work he does than probably 99% of the posters on this board are prepared for their line of work each day. That he does not have the natural athletic skills to be a starting corner is not his fault. A team always needs a couple guys like Bush. Just not a roster full.

Talent does win out, unless it's talent that is lazy. Cletidus Hunt, for a prime example. I root more for the Bushes of the world than the Hunts.

swede
08-15-2013, 09:05 AM
The genesis of the Bush hate was a failed pass defense in a very, very big game quite a long time ago, wasn't it? It seems like it might have been against the Saints, but I cannot remember if it was late season with playoff implications or a playoff exit. I just remember that he allowed a TD in crunch time. It was a TD thrown into a very tight window at the front pylon of the endzone with Bush in tight coverage. It wasn't like he'd been faked out of his jockstrap or let his guy run free. Help me out if you remember the play. Or send me back to the nursing home in time for the applesauce cocktail if my faded recollections are the dementia talking.

I have a hard time remembering what else made him such a villain. I think he got dinked and dunked on repeatedly in a game the season after he got all the bad face time on Sports Center following the big TD. Mostly, as in Kuhn's case, we just get tired of a loyal journeyman like Bush taking a place away from the Next Big Deal.

pbmax
08-15-2013, 09:18 AM
The genesis of the Bush hate was a failed pass defense in a very, very big game quite a long time ago, wasn't it? It seems like it might have been against the Saints, but I cannot remember if it was late season with playoff implications or a playoff exit. I just remember that he allowed a TD in crunch time. It was a TD thrown into a very tight window at the front pylon of the endzone with Bush in tight coverage. It wasn't like he'd been faked out of his jockstrap or let his guy run free. Help me out if you remember the play. Or send me back to the nursing home in time for the applesauce cocktail if my faded recollections are the dementia talking.

I have a hard time remembering what else made him such a villain. I think he got dinked and dunked on repeatedly in a game the season after he got all the bad face time on Sports Center following the big TD. Mostly, as in Kuhn's case, we just get tired of a loyal journeyman like Bush taking a place away from the Next Big Deal.

Especially on the outside, he usually had good coverage. But he could never locate the ball. So he allowed completions like House did last week, where a simple turn or timed jump could have meant a pass defensed.

In the slot, he was almost Woodson versatile and might be the team's second best blitzer. But he has trouble in coverage here as well, mainly technique and not biting on fakes.

The one mistake I remember, which I think was after his Special Team's penalty-fest year from hell, was the failure to land on a fumble during a big game. I want to say Giants, but not sure.

Patler
08-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Look, you've got to respect how he approaches his profession. He's better prepared for the work he does than probably 99% of the posters on this board are prepared for their line of work each day. That he does not have the natural athletic skills to be a starting corner is not his fault. A team always needs a couple guys like Bush. Just not a roster full.

Talent does win out, unless it's talent that is lazy. Cletidus Hunt, for a prime example. I root more for the Bushes of the world than the Hunts.

Exactly. It can be argued that he really does not have enough talent to be in the NFL, but by shear determination and hard work he has played 7 seasons, contributed in a major way in a Super Bowl win, and has a contract that will carry through his tenth season. He has made himself excel at a thank-less job (gunner) that many last in for only a couple years. He has made himself $7 million already, but has probably earned it as much or more than many do.

ThunderDan
08-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Especially on the outside, he usually had good coverage. But he could never locate the ball. So he allowed completions like House did last week, where a simple turn or timed jump could have meant a pass defensed.

In the slot, he was almost Woodson versatile and might be the team's second best blitzer. But he has trouble in coverage here as well, mainly technique and not biting on fakes.

The one mistake I remember, which I think was after his Special Team's penalty-fest year from hell, was the failure to land on a fumble during a big game. I want to say Giants, but not sure.

Yes, the 2007 NFC Championship Game!

Patler
08-15-2013, 09:29 AM

Yup, and with the willingness of QBs to through to covered receivers and let them take the ball away from defenders, its a killer for a guy like Bush who just can't seem to find the ball most of the time.

Patler
08-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Yes, the 2007 NFC Championship Game!

Tried to pick it up and run with it instead of falling on it. Hopefully a lot wiser now.

mraynrand
08-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Bush did exactly the correct thing in that loss to the Giants. "Falling on it" could easily have made the ball harder to recover. He had the ball in both hands and it was knocked out by a lucky stab from a Giant lying on the ground. If not for that, he had a game-winning TD. Given that Favre and the offense had totally checked out, it was their best chance at a win. Look at the tape, get your heads on straight. Bush was not to blame for not "Falling on it."

mraynrand
08-15-2013, 11:40 AM
I take back the part about the return for TD. Probably would have been tackled. Still a good move to pick the ball up.

http://s453.photobucket.com/user/mraynrand/media/lostfumblechance.mp4.html

(right after it's knocked away from Bush, Poppinga has a better chance to "Fall on it" and fails. Not so easy on a frozen field)

run pMc
08-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Patler, are you driving a Jarrett Bush bandwagon?

swede
08-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Patler, are you driving a Jarrett Bush bandwagon?

The Jarrett Bush bandwagon gets excellent mileage and fits into parking spaces other bandwagons cannot manage.

denverYooper
08-15-2013, 02:02 PM
The Jarrett Bush bandwagon gets excellent mileage and fits into parking spaces other bandwagons cannot manage.

It's been well-maintained. Patler keeps a notebook in the glovebox with the exact mileage at each fill-up, and he changes the oil himself every 3000 miles on the button.

Upnorth
08-15-2013, 02:34 PM

It's suspension and springs are in close to factory condition as it has never had a large group

Joemailman
08-15-2013, 04:17 PM
The Jarrett Bush bandwagon is painted red in honor of Jarrett Bush's biggest fan.

ThunderDan
08-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Bush did exactly the correct thing in that loss to the Giants. "Falling on it" could easily have made the ball harder to recover. He had the ball in both hands and it was knocked out by a lucky stab from a Giant lying on the ground. If not for that, he had a game-winning TD. Given that Favre and the offense had totally checked out, it was their best chance at a win. Look at the tape, get your heads on straight. Bush was not to blame for not "Falling on it."

The reason it was knocked out is because he stopped to pick it up. If he continues with his motion he gets to the ball first and cleanly.

I can blame whoever I want for the loss.

I sure wouldn't want to piss off the BF crowd and choose him now would I?

red
08-15-2013, 05:13 PM
:lol: :lol: I expected some to react that way.

Just wondering, did you even read the article I linked? I hope people do. It is clear that players respect Bush.

No, i did not read it

I refuse to read anything that tries to brainwash me into thinking bush is anything more then a pile of greenish brown dog shit that needs to be flipped into the neighbors yard

mraynrand
08-15-2013, 05:27 PM
The reason it was knocked out is because he stopped to pick it up. If he continues with his motion he gets to the ball first and cleanly.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I didn't see a full stop, and certainly it was a bang-bang play. My point is that "Falling on it" was no guarantee for recovery either - you actually had a confirming example of this (Poppinga) in the same play!

feel free - I can also say you're wrong! I still blame the hotdog vendor.

Keep it in the Favre thread!

mraynrand
08-15-2013, 05:33 PM
I refuse to read anything that tries to brainwash me into thinking bush is anything more then a pile of greenish brown dog shit that needs to be flipped into the neighbors yard

:-P That's the Spirit, Jennings!! Don't let the Packer Machine control your mind!

Joemailman
08-15-2013, 06:02 PM
:-P That's the Spirit, Jennings!! Don't let the Packer Machine control your mind!

Keep it in the Jennings thread!

pbmax
08-15-2013, 07:44 PM
I take back the part about the return for TD. Probably would have been tackled. Still a good move to pick the ball up.

http://s453.photobucket.com/user/mraynrand/media/lostfumblechance.mp4.html

(right after it's knocked away from Bush, Poppinga has a better chance to "Fall on it" and fails. Not so easy on a frozen field)

That could have been the one I was thinking of, but I thought I remembered him in more open territory.

When Bretsky gets here to complain, he'll remember. He used the fumble I am thinking about to egg red on to new heights of anti-bushwood.

pbmax
08-15-2013, 07:46 PM

Perhaps, perhaps not. I didn't see a full stop, and certainly it was a bang-bang play. My point is that "Falling on it" was no guarantee for recovery either - you actually had a confirming example of this (Poppinga) in the same play!

feel free - I can also say you're wrong! I still blame the hotdog vendor.

Keep it in the Favre thread!

Both wrong.

Slocum.

Guiness
08-15-2013, 08:39 PM
What actually got me most about the article...8 years! Guy's been with the team for a long time. Most journeymen don't stick around that long.

Maybe he'll make the Packers HOF - I'd be able to hear Red's scream from here!

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2013, 08:49 PM

Was that the loss to the Steelers in 2009?

swede
08-15-2013, 09:12 PM

Good call. That was Josh Bell. not Jarrett Bush failing at the end. But check out the FIRST big reception by the Steelers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz8z8vXYxZY

Joemailman
08-15-2013, 09:19 PM

It sounds like the final play against the Steelers in 2009. But that was Josh Bell, not Jarrett Bush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6vaR0nobrU

mraynrand
08-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Ah, the famous Steelers loss! Does anyone else recall Jolly not being held on that TD pass?

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/JollyChristmas.jpg (http://s453.photobucket.com/user/mraynrand/media/JollyChristmas.jpg.html)

smuggler
08-16-2013, 01:56 AM
The Zebras were swallowing their whistles all day on the interior holds, so we really can't be upset that they didn't call that one, even though it was so obvious. Also, that's pretty fucking good coverage by Bell on the play.

Besides, even if they'd called it, the Steelers still would have had one more shot. The game can't end on an accepted penalty.

Patler
08-16-2013, 04:16 AM
The Zebras were swallowing their whistles all day on the interior holds, so we really can't be upset that they didn't call that one, even though it was so obvious. Also, that's pretty fucking good coverage by Bell on the play.

Besides, even if they'd called it, the Steelers still would have had one more shot. The game can't end on an accepted penalty.

Isn't that just if the penalty is on the defense?

Guiness
08-16-2013, 06:20 AM
Isn't that just if the penalty is on the defense?

AFAIK it is.

You'd have to pretty much commit a felony to get an offensive hold on the last play of a one score game though. Pretty much the same situation as an Offensive PI on a Hail Mary, and we know how that goes...and that's league mandated, the replacement refs came right out and said they were pretty much told to let everything go in that situation.

Patler
08-17-2013, 02:59 AM
Whitt talking about Bush:

"Everybody wonders why he's still here. Fans should realize he is just tougher than most of the people he is in rooms with. They can't withstand him. They have more ability than him and they might be better football players, but he's always available and ready to go, every day. I just know he's good for any football team that he's on, and I'm glad he's on ours."

mraynrand
08-17-2013, 10:57 AM
good comment on Bush. The guy is clueless in the secondary, but he's just one of those guys that gives superior effort all the time. I love that

Maxie the Taxi
08-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Let's replace Bush with "Rudy!"

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GiV6cogQ4QA/T5FFwJDkPbI/AAAAAAAAAgA/7EejOwOyFsE/s320/rudy-1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://therollingpicture.blogspot.com/2012/04/film-review-rudy.html&h=624&w=960&sz=70&tbnid=u4nnKm9q9RLH2M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=138&zoom=1&usg=__iz94n2iKn88tSBqr43-Ps1UWryU=&docid=gl-18bGc4WhmWM&sa=X&ei=arYPUtayPMjS2AXIoYC4BA&ved=0CFMQ9QEwBg&dur=2090