PDA

View Full Version : Which Backup QB Would You Like to See in GB?

The Shadow
08-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Harrell, Young & Coleman do not exactly inspire my confidence.
Given my druthers, I would prefer Kyle Orton, now with Dallas, to be the backup QB on the Packers.
What about you?

Guiness
08-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Hasselback.

That would be my top choice, hands down.

Is there any reason to develop a QB in Green Bay right now?

Fitzpatrick would also be a good choice.

The Shadow
08-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Well, the priority - at least it seems to me - would be to have a guy that could fill in for a couple of gamesnd give you a chance to win. Hasselbeck would be fine. although I would prefer Orton.
I just don't see the Packers being able to win with any of the 3 backups they now have on the roster.

Smeefers
08-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Hasselbeck? Hell, I think Jeff George is still out there somewhere. Maybe Randall Cunningham would still like to play.

I go Young, just because he's an actual veteran back up and I've been hoping and praying they'd bring one of those in for years now.

Tony Oday
08-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Drew Breed...want to bury the hatchet? Favre...if AR goes down.

Maxie the Taxi
08-17-2013, 12:39 PM
A tale of two backups...The 1965 Playoff game between the Packers and the Baltimore Colts...

The next day, the Packers and 49ers game ended in a tie, leaving Green Bay and Baltimore tied atop the Western Division at 10-3-1 apiece.

Despite the head-to-head sweep [by the Packers in the regular season], NFL rules at the time dictated a one-game playoff. Because Brown had not been on the Packers roster for the final two weeks of the season, he was ineligible for the post-season start. Matte was the only healthy “quarterback” on the Colts roster, and therefore was forced to start against the Packers in the playoff game. He put up Tebow-like numbers — 5/12 for 40 yards, 17 rushes for 57 yards — and led the Colts to overtime. Of course, it probably helped that Bart Starr was injured in the game’s first few minutes, and the game was knotted at 10 after regulation. A Don Chandler field goal for the Packers [which most observers feel was not good] secured the win, setting up the first of three consecutive championships for Green Bay.
- See more at: http://smartfootball.com/football-history/t-j-yates-and-inexperienced-quarterbacks-in-the-playoffs#sthash.bIuiJcpM.dpuf

The Box Score of the game looked like this...http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196512260gnb.htm

These two teams were well-matched. Both rosters read like a Hall of Fame honor roll. (The team rosters are listed in the Box Score.) The game was a defensive struggle but play of the backup QB's was a deciding factor: Tom Matte (who was actually a halfback who played QB in college at Ohio State) and Zeke Bratkowski, one of the best backup QB's in the NFL (many thought he could start on most clubs).

Matte went 5 for 12, throwing for 40 yards, no interceptions. He ran the ball 17 times, gaining 57 yards.

Bratkowski went 22 for 39 for 248 yards, no touchdowns, two interceptions.

The Packers won the hard-fought defensive battle on the controversial field goal in OT.

The moral of the story is: I don't really know, except that a really, really competent backup QB did not mean a guaranteed victory for the Packers, and the worst backup QB in history didn't mean a guaranteed loss for Baltimore.

packer4life
08-17-2013, 02:07 PM
I pick Young if he has any legs left. MM should be proactive and install 10-15 Young-specific plays involving the Pistol with read-option and be ready with it in the case Rodgers goes down for a few games. This will help us salvage the season. Of course if he is in there for more than 2 games, no special package will be effective, we will be toast.

ThunderDan
08-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Drew Breed...want to bury the hatchet? Favre...if AR goes down.

The first three were going to be my answer.