PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy's Inconsistency

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2013, 11:46 PM
One thing I've noticed is how contrary the coaches are with players returning from injury. DuJuan Harris misses most of the offseason work and training camp but is handed the #1 RB spot on the depth chart when he returns. Yet, today comes the news the Casey Hayward is the #4 corner and will have to work his way up the depth chart. Not sure why this is.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-casey-hayward-trying-to-earn-back-nickel-job-b9980839z1-220611731.html

Green Bay Packers cornerback Casey Hayward has found that being sidelined a month with a badly pulled hamstring is the equivalent of stepping away from the security line at the airport.

Don't expect anyone to give your place back and don't be surprised if the line has gotten longer when you get back.

Even though he finished third in voting for defensive rookie of the year last season, Hayward came back Monday as the No. 4 cornerback behind Sam Shields, Davon House and rookie Micah Hyde.

Joe Whitt: "Micah is the third right there. And so he's the nickel right now. Until he (Hayward) moves either him or House out of the way, he's not going to get as many reps."

MadtownPacker
08-22-2013, 12:01 AM
M3 is genius, making the player with more potential push himself harder.

George Cumby
08-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Yawp. I think he tailors his approach to the player. To maximize results, one can't treat everyone the same. Some get more carrot, some more stick. Vince did the same, as I understand it.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2013, 12:42 AM
M3 is genius, making the player with more potential push himself harder.

I think you are right, but it does make him come across as inconsistent. I wonder if the players see this.

wist43
08-22-2013, 02:08 AM
McCarthy could pick his nose and you guys would call it "genius" ;)

Tony Oday
08-22-2013, 04:18 AM
MM could win six SBs in a row and you would call it luck and diluted talent.

Fritz
08-22-2013, 07:52 AM
How true that is.

pbmax
08-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Not sure why in this case, but coaches contradict themselves all the time. Remember the Jimmy Johnson diatribe about how he would treat Aikman and Emmit different from the scrubs?

If you had dominant personnel then the rules could be enforced without regard to consequences. Starters don't lose their jobs due to injury, etc.

I remember how well that worked for Drew Bledsoe and Alex Smith.

The only question to ask here is why Harris and not Hayward? Has Hyde been that much better as a starter than Lacy? Seems really close, with Lacy being in a position to help a worse position.

Could also be injury. Harris had a lump removed and a knee thing. Hayward had a hammy pull and those can linger. He might be limited for a few days.

denverYooper
08-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Could also be injury. Harris had a lump removed and a knee thing. Hayward had a hammy pull and those can linger. He might be limited for a few days.

My guess was that it was a way to ease Hayward back in.

hoosier
08-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Look at it from a motivational perspective: Harris is a UFA who has been cut and kicked to the street; he needs no further motivation than his own past. Making him the nominal starter serves as a reminder to Lacy that his draft status doesn't entitle him to anything, even though we all know that if everyone stays healthy Lacy will be getting the majority of the work over the course of the season. With Hayward/Hyde it is a little more difficult to read the tea leaves. Does the staff think Hayward hasn't been as diligent in rehabbing? Have they seen signs that he may be resting on last year's laurels? Is there unhappiness with how/where he sustained the offseason injury? Or do they just see Hyde as a better fit in the slot against mobile, hard to tackle QBs like Kaepernick? Hard to imagine Hayward won't be seeing a lot of action this year, unless there is more to the injury/rehab story than we have been told.

Joemailman
08-22-2013, 12:52 PM
I get the sense MM doesn't want Lacy to think he has the starting RB job wrapped up. During rookie mini-camp, he went out of his way to talk about how impressed he was with Pease. During training camp, a Harris on the sidelines was listed as the starting RB.

denverYooper
08-22-2013, 12:59 PM
I get the sense MM doesn't want Lacy to think he has the starting RB job wrapped up. During rookie mini-camp, he went out of his way to talk about how impressed he was with Pease. During training camp, a Harris on the sidelines was listed as the starting RB.

M3's probably just worried that Lacy will get too comfortable and starting eating too much of mama's cooking if he's anointed the starter.

mraynrand
08-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Look at it from a motivational perspective: Harris is a UFA who has been cut and kicked to the street; he needs no further motivation than his own past. Making him the nominal starter serves as a reminder to Lacy that his draft status doesn't entitle him to anything, even though we all know that if everyone stays healthy Lacy will be getting the majority of the work over the course of the season.

solid analysis

bobblehead
08-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Yawp. I think he tailors his approach to the player. To maximize results, one can't treat everyone the same. Some get more carrot, some more stick. Vince did the same, as I understand it.

I remember a game way back in JJones rookie year where MM ripped him openly and fully, but coddled another guy (Grant maybe?). A reporter called him out on it and he said something like "james is a man, he responds to straight talk" or some such shit. I interpreted it as "Grant is a pussy...don't want to hurt his feelings".

bobblehead
08-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Look at it from a motivational perspective: Harris is a UFA who has been cut and kicked to the street; he needs no further motivation than his own past. Making him the nominal starter serves as a reminder to Lacy that his draft status doesn't entitle him to anything, even though we all know that if everyone stays healthy Lacy will be getting the majority of the work over the course of the season. With Hayward/Hyde it is a little more difficult to read the tea leaves. Does the staff think Hayward hasn't been as diligent in rehabbing? Have they seen signs that he may be resting on last year's laurels? Is there unhappiness with how/where he sustained the offseason injury? Or do they just see Hyde as a better fit in the slot against mobile, hard to tackle QBs like Kaepernick? Hard to imagine Hayward won't be seeing a lot of action this year, unless there is more to the injury/rehab story than we have been told.

I think more to do with Lacy. In college he missed a lot of practice (thus the injury prone label) but still played almost every game. I think MM is trying to keep Lacy from feeling content and taking a practice off with a sore whatchamajigger.

pbmax
08-22-2013, 07:58 PM
I think more to do with Lacy. In college he missed a lot of practice (thus the injury prone label) but still played almost every game. I think MM is trying to keep Lacy from feeling content and taking a practice off with a sore whatchamajigger.

I think he has two whatchamajiggers right now (toe and hand).

MadtownPacker
08-22-2013, 10:57 PM
McCarthy could pick his nose and you guys would call it "genius" ;)McCarthy could poke his ass and you would call it too soft. I have slammed M3 before for his stubbornness on offense but he has always seemed like a coach who's players liked and respected him. That shit goes a long ways IMO.

MadtownPacker
08-22-2013, 10:59 PM
solid analysis
I said the same thing foolio, where my ballwashing?

BTW why arent we all ripping Harv a new one for doubting a Superbowl winning coach's methods? Is he getting some veteran status or something?

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2013, 11:13 PM
I said the same thing foolio, where my ballwashing?

BTW why arent we all ripping Harv a new one for doubting a Superbowl winning coach's methods? Is he getting some veteran status or something?

Because it's obvious McCarthy is inconsistent. I wanted to know why, but you identified why, pendejo. He uses whatever convenient excuse he can to motivate his most talented player at a position. Lacy is his most talented RB, so he's not going to just give him a job over the injured "veteran." Hayward is perhaps his most talented CB, so he's not just going to give him the job--even though he is the injured "veteran."

MadtownPacker
08-22-2013, 11:23 PM
WTF? We agree? Truly the world has gone to shit. :lol: