S Chaz Powell
T Kevin Hughes
TE Jake Stoneburner
WR Alex Gillett
WR Justin Wilson
WR Omarius Hines

Bretsky
08-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Lets cut the kicker and get it over with; there are probably ten second string kickers better than him

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2013, 10:47 PM
QB Graham Harrell

Be still, my beating heart

swede
08-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Be still, my beating heart

From your lips...

pbmax
08-23-2013, 11:04 PM
I don't think there is any way Harrell is gone yet. He and Young will duke it out in the 2nd half of lat exhibition game.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2013, 11:07 PM
I don't think there is any way Harrell is gone yet. He and Young will duke it out in the 2nd half of lat exhibition game.

You might be right, but that would be a mistake. Give Vince Young the snaps and give him a chance to prove he can be the guy. They know who HArrell is.

pbmax
08-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 41m
#Packers injuries: Hayward hamsting, Harris knee, Burnett hamstring, B. Jones hamstring.

This might affect some calls.

MadScientist
08-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Remember now is the time Bulaga will go on IR, as well as any others injured in camp that won't return (or are not worth the effort to keep on the roster).

Fritz
08-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Remember now is the time Bulaga will go on IR, as well as any others injured in camp that won't return (or are not worth the effort to keep on the roster).

Most of us have speculated, correctly I think, that teams often use IR for more than just severely injured players - it's a place to hide players sometimes.

I wonder if the play of the O and D lines last night will affect the roster and the use of PUP and IR in the case of Sherrod and Worthy.

It appears that the defensive line is really deep. IF there are no big injuries, and even if Worthy is healthy enough to come off the PUP six weeks in, I wonder if the team will stash him on IR just to be able to keep one of the younger players like Miller or Boyd.

On the other hand, the offensive line last night looked a shambles. I wonder if that will shift, slightly, the thinking on Sherrod. If he's physically ready to practice, I wonder if they'll take him off the PUP, keep him on the 53 (there's your surprise guy who makes the team) so he can practice with the team, and simply make him an inactive every week - until he knocks the rust off. That would allow the team to possibly move Barclay inside (My grandmother can block better than TJ Lang, and she's dead).

AS for the running game, the running backs last night saw fewer holes than I did as a skinny, horny teenage boy. I think that helps answer our forum debate on whether it's more the offensive line or the running back who makes the difference.

It sounds like Alex Green showed up last night. I wonder if Starks makes it to the last exhibition game. Or if he's actually safe and they were showcasing Green? (ooo, maybe they can get a seventh round pick in 2016).

By your accounts on the game day thread, Graham "Cracker" Harrell should be packing his bags today, after MM looks at the film and finds out that indeed, Harrell really did play just badly enough to be uninspiring. I would tell MM that Vince Young's accuracy can improve with coaching and practice, but Graham Harrell's arm strength will not improve, nor will his uninspiring demeanor.

Funny, at the beginning of camp I felt pretty good about this team and its attitude. Right now, after Bulaga's injury fudged up the line and EDS and Lang are playing like pudenda, and after reading MM's post-practice comments this year about the team not practicing well at all, I am feeling pretty doubtful about this team coming together.

But it's a long season. I was never so down on a recent Packer team as I was on the 2010 team when I walked out of Ford Field in Detroit, having seen the Lions beat the hell out of the Packers while the Packers played like zombie-esque clowns on offense.

We'll see.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2013, 10:09 AM
IF there are no big injuries, and even if Worthy is healthy enough to come off the PUP six weeks in, I wonder if the team will stash him on IR just to be able to keep one of the younger players like Miller or Boyd.

Whether Worthy goes on the IR or PUP has no bearing on their ability to keep a younger player. Whether on IR or PUP, the player doesn't count towards the 53.

On the other hand, the offensive line last night looked a shambles. I wonder if that will shift, slightly, the thinking on Sherrod. If he's physically ready to practice, I wonder if they'll take him off the PUP, keep him on the 53 (there's your surprise guy who makes the team) so he can practice with the team, and simply make him an inactive every week - until he knocks the rust off. That would allow the team to possibly move Barclay inside (My grandmother can block better than TJ Lang, and she's dead).

Possible, but only if they think he has a chance to play within 6 weeks. I'm not sure they have much of a clue at this point.

Patler
08-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Whether Worthy goes on the IR or PUP has no bearing on their ability to keep a younger player. Whether on IR or PUP, the player doesn't count towards the 53.

True, for the initial cutdown. But putting him on IR guarantees his return to GB next year. If he goes on PUP, they might have to "prove" to the league (to the extent the league requires it) that he is still incapable of playing when he reaches the mandatory end of PUP. It's not certain that they could place him on IR at that time (I read something about it now being called "permanent PUP" or something like that, and that it will be differentiate from "IR". Not sure why, or if it is this year, or just a proposal.)

swede
08-24-2013, 11:03 AM
True, for the initial cutdown. But putting him on IR guarantees his return to GB next year. If he goes on PUP, they might have to "prove" to the league (to the extent the league requires it) that he is still incapable of playing when he reaches the mandatory end of PUP. It's not certain that they could place him on IR at that time (I read something about it now being called "permanent PUP" or something like that, and that it will be differentiate from "IR". Not sure why, or if it is this year, or just a proposal.)

The rules as they are presently written start from the premise that players will sometimes be unexpectedly injured. I think Green Bay needs its own set of rules. Start from the premise that sometimes some of our players will be unexpectedly healthy.

hoosier
08-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 41m
#Packers injuries: Hayward hamsting, Harris knee, Burnett hamstring, B. Jones hamstring.

This might affect some calls.

Great, the defense is hamstrung. How did Hayward get hurt--wasn't he out to begin with? Did he pull something on the excercycle?

How is it that the Packers, who are perpetually among the youngest team in the league, are also invariably among the most injured? Someone needs to tell TT it's an old man's game.

Maxie the Taxi
08-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Banjo is going to be difficult to let go. He tackled well in the secondary and was a standout on Special Teams.

#33 Hyde is a player and should be on the 53.

mraynrand
08-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Great, the defense is hamstrung. How did Hayward get hurt--wasn't he out to begin with? Did he pull something on the excercycle?

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/cut2.gif (http://s453.photobucket.com/user/mraynrand/media/cut2.gif.html)

Fritz
08-24-2013, 01:50 PM

How is it that the Packers, who are perpetually among the youngest team in the league, are also invariably among the most injured? Someone needs to tell TT it's an old man's game.

I wonder if there's something weird going on - does TT and company focus so much on guys who work hard that they end up drafting guys who have built their bodies, essentially, and thus are like the tightly strung guitar, on which one pluck will snap a string?

mraynrand
08-24-2013, 02:07 PM
I wonder if there's something weird going on - does TT and company focus so much on guys who work hard that they end up drafting guys who have built their bodies, essentially, and thus are like the tightly strung guitar, on which one pluck will snap a string?

Did Banjo hurt his hamstring?

red
08-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Harrell is the first to be cr according to pft

Should just go ahead and cut coleman too and let VY play the whole game this week

pbmax
08-24-2013, 03:24 PM
I would have lost a considerable sum of money up if someone had wanted to bet me on the idea of Vince Young being a Packers QB.

Its kind of fun, but its also a mark of a potentially catastrophic personnel failure.

pbmax
08-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Second source.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m
The #Packers are releasing QB Graham Harrell, source confirms. (As @AdamSchefter 1st reported). Looks like Vince Young won a job.

red
08-24-2013, 03:30 PM
I would have lost a considerable sum of money up if someone had wanted to bet me on the idea of Vince Young being a Packers QB.

Its kind of fun, but its also a mark of a potentially catastrophic personnel failure.

I remember last night during the game someone said something like, "imagine what vince young would have been like if a QB guru like fat mike would have gotten to him sooner"

And i remember thinging, "QB guru?, what the hell has he done to be a QB guru?" other then a rod, all the qbs he's coached have turned to shit

pbmax
08-24-2013, 03:34 PM
other then a rod, all the qbs he's coached have turned to shit

His guru credentials are not as impressive as the list of QBs he's worked with, but the same can be said of Holmgren.

He got the only good years out of Aaron Brooks there were. Got Matt Flynn a FA deal to be a near starter plus some very serviceable starts. And Rich Gannon credits him for training him to be an MVP QB. That's two MVPs coached by M3. Not too shabby.

pbmax
08-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Its official, third source:

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 4m
Just confirmed that Graham Harrell has been released by the #Packers.

pbmax
08-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1m
Here we go people, walk out of the Butler and cuts have started. #Packers released WR Justin Wilson, agent confirmed.

Maxie the Taxi
08-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Justin Wilson has an agent?

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Its official, third source:

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 4m
Just confirmed that Graham Harrell has been released by the #Packers.

Good on TT for making a gut decision. Waiting another week wasn't going to provide much more certainty, that the choice was right.

swede
08-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Justin Wilson has an agent?

They must have meant "a gent confirmed."

Maxie the Taxi
08-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Was it TT or MM who made the gut decision. My guess it's MM.

denverYooper
08-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Gillett gone. 3 for 3 so far Joe.

Tom Silverstein:
WR Alex Gillett is among the players the #Packers have released today. For a college QB, the guy made a nice transition to a new spot.

digitaldean
08-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Packer Report was saying Hines is gone, but I haven't seen it anywhere else.

red
08-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Gillett gone. 3 for 3 so far Joe.

Tom Silverstein:
WR Alex Gillett is among the players the #Packers have released today. For a college QB, the guy made a nice transition to a new spot.

I really think its gonna be tough to unseat boykins and ross from the #4 and #5 spots

denverYooper
08-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Packer Report was saying Hines is gone, but I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Spoon mentioned it also but I didn't see links either.

RashanGary
08-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Mike McCarthy has bee qb coach of Joe Montana and Brett Favre (MVPs.) He was GAnnon's qb coach and Gannon talks about how much MM has meant to his career. He was head coach, play caller and QB mentor for Favre in 2007 when Favre really turned his career back on. He brought AR up in the NFL and AR is the best QB in the game now. Hes been QB coach, oc or hc for 4 MVP winning quarterbacks and three hall of famers.

MM has a sparkling QB resume. Hes been with the best of the best of the best.

mmmdk
08-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Mike McCarthy has bee qb coach of Joe Montana and Brett Favre (MVPs.) He was GAnnon's qb coach and Gannon talks about how much MM has meant to his career. He was head coach, play caller and QB mentor for Favre in 2007 when Favre really turned his career back on. He brought AR up in the NFL and AR is the best QB in the game now. Hes been QB coach, oc or hc for 4 MVP winning quarterbacks and three hall of famers.

[Somewhat] true yet Rodgers still gently bugs McCarthy about picking Alex Smith ahead of him (AR). :wink:

McCarthy has been fortunate to coach two QB legends that, dare I say, knew how to play their position. Gannon & Favre even had better seasons in Oakland & Minnesota respectively.

McCarthy had a say [about the above] and is a good teacher yet his true merits are Aaron Rodgers and Aaron Brooks. McCarthy's work on AR speaks for itself - AWESOME WORK!

pbmax
08-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1m
Think @RobDemovsky had this a little while ago, but the #Packers are also in the process of releasing WR Omarius Hines, who signed July 29

I think three sources (four if WesHod is not just repeating Demovsky) is enough to consider this done.

pbmax
08-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h
With #Packers reportedly parting ways with WRs Gillett, Wilson and Hines, probably a good sign for Cobb and Nelson.

pbmax
08-24-2013, 06:20 PM
How to get cut:

“Graham, frankly, there is some video that we really need to look at," coach Mike McCarthy said following the 17-10 loss. "I’d like to see more. He had some tough breaks there with the penalties, but the rhythm of the offense and some of the things mechanically, I would have liked to have seen us be more sharp. We played primarily against an eight-man front, and we didn’t do a very good job handling that.”

McCarthy last night from http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/220951591.html

Translation? Check to a pass and complete it. If you know the offense, then you have to demonstrate it.

Joemailman
08-24-2013, 06:27 PM
How to get cut:

“Graham, frankly, there is some video that we really need to look at," coach Mike McCarthy said following the 17-10 loss. "I’d like to see more. He had some tough breaks there with the penalties, but the rhythm of the offense and some of the things mechanically, I would have liked to have seen us be more sharp. We played primarily against an eight-man front, and we didn’t do a very good job handling that.”

McCarthy last night from http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/220951591.html

Translation? Check to a pass and complete it. If you know the offense, then you have to demonstrate it.

Some of those running plays when he was in had no chance because of the number of defenders close to the line. I think I counted 9 once. He ought to know how to call an audible by now. Then again, maybe they were putting 8-9 in the box because they knew he couldn't beat them with his noodle arm.

Pugger
08-24-2013, 06:34 PM
His guru credentials are not as impressive as the list of QBs he's worked with, but the same can be said of Holmgren.

He got the only good years out of Aaron Brooks there were. Got Matt Flynn a FA deal to be a near starter plus some very serviceable starts. And Rich Gannon credits him for training him to be an MVP QB. That's two MVPs coached by M3. Not too shabby.

He also got Favre to have one of best seasons in eons in 2007.

hoosier
08-24-2013, 08:05 PM

I've been wondering about that myself. "Built," as in Corey Hart (Brewers), the guy who keeps straining his oblique muscle. Before PEDs nobody had ever heard of an oblique muscle. Hamstring is similar story, except that it was immortalized in Caddy Shack.

Carolina_Packer
08-24-2013, 08:26 PM

And Graham Harrell still couldn't make the team. MM's not a miracle worker, I guess. :-)

SkinBasket
08-25-2013, 08:33 AM
And Graham Harrell still couldn't make the team. MM's not a miracle worker, I guess. :-)

Lets see what a turd looks like when you get done polishing it.

gbgary
08-25-2013, 09:23 AM
I've been wondering about that myself. "Built," as in Corey Hart (Brewers), the guy who keeps straining his oblique muscle. Before PEDs nobody had ever heard of an oblique muscle. Hamstring is similar story, except that it was immortalized in Caddy Shack.

http://youtu.be/X2LTL8KgKv8

pbmax
08-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 14m
#Packers cuts are official: QB Graham Harrell, WR Alex Gillette, WR Omarius Hines, WR Justin Wilson, DT Gilbert Pena, RB Angelo Pease.

Smidgeon
08-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Pease and Pena to the PS? Maybe Gillette but doubtful since Dorsey and Johnson will take the PS WR spots.

bobblehead
08-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Banjo is going to be difficult to let go. He tackled well in the secondary and was a standout on Special Teams.

#33 Hyde is a player and should be on the 53.

For me Hyde is the surprise of camp. He will play a role this season. He is a football player not an athlete...I like football players, not track stars.

Guiness
08-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Pease and Pena to the PS? Maybe Gillette but doubtful since Dorsey and Johnson will take the PS WR spots.

I can't see either of them going to the PS, if the Packers felt they had promise would they have been released in the first cut down? Seems like it's generally guys who were on the bubble for the last cutdown that end up on the PS, or bubble players from other teams that the Packers would like to look at.

Smidgeon
08-26-2013, 11:47 AM
I can't see either of them going to the PS, if the Packers felt they had promise would they have been released in the first cut down? Seems like it's generally guys who were on the bubble for the last cutdown that end up on the PS, or bubble players from other teams that the Packers would like to look at.

Or players they're trying to sneak onto the PS, players they know won't make the squad.

Guiness
08-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Or players they're trying to sneak onto the PS, players they know won't make the squad.

Release them early hoping they fall off everyone's radar. Thought of that, could work. Of course, then they take the chance someone decides to release an extra guy and and them to their TC roster, there's still time.

MadScientist
08-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Where's the list? It's more than an hour after the deadline and still nothing. Come on TT, stop puking about cutting guys and give us the info.

QBME
08-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Per Silverstein - Richardson, Sherrod, Tretter and Worthy on PUP. Bulaga, Dorsey, Harris and Reed go to IR. Kicker Ramirez released.

That supposedly gets them to 75.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Per Silverstein - Richardson, Sherrod, Tretter and Worthy on PUP.

I am unenthusiastic about putting young players on PUP. For most positions, they need a training camp. Can the team really insert Sherrod or Tretter into live fire when they don;t have their timing down?

Well, I suppose the team might need to live with an in-season training camp because they have no better options.

Smidgeon
08-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Dorsey to IR? I thought it was a toe injury. Are they just trying to stash him?

MadScientist
08-27-2013, 04:54 PM
I am unenthusiastic about putting young players on PUP. For most positions, they need a training camp. Can the team really insert Sherrod or Tretter into live fire when they don;t have their timing down?

Well, I suppose the team might need to live with an in-season training camp because they have no better options.

They have meetings and individual work while rehabbing. Also, if they are activated, they can fully practice for a couple of weeks without counting against the roster. There is really no down side to putting guys who are not ready on the PUP. They can always be shifted to IR later, and they will almost certainly be more up to speed than a guys off the street if they do activate them.

The report is a hamstring, but either it is a effort to stash him, or they will waive him with an injury settlement. You can't just cut a guy who is injured.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2013, 04:58 PM
They have meetings and individual work while rehabbing. Also, if they are activated, they can fully practice for a couple of weeks without counting against the roster. There is really no down side to putting guys who are not ready on the PUP. They can always be shifted to IR later, and they will almost certainly be more up to speed than a guys off the street if they do activate them.

ya, makes sense, all upside. In particular, might as well get those freebie practice weeks if nothing else. But still a tough choice to activate them.

Smidgeon
08-27-2013, 05:08 PM
The report is a hamstring, but either it is a effort to stash him, or they will waive him with an injury settlement. You can't just cut a guy who is injured.

If they IR release him, is he eligible for the PS? He wasn't going to make the 53, so I'm guessing they just stash him for the year on IR.

MadScientist
08-27-2013, 05:13 PM
If they IR release him, is he eligible for the PS? He wasn't going to make the 53, so I'm guessing they just stash him for the year on IR.

Possibly, but I think he would still have to wait 4 weeks past what the settlement is for before the Packers could sign him, just like coming back to the active roster. Any other team could sign him after the settlement period.

Joemailman
08-27-2013, 05:58 PM

I think it was his big toe.

denverYooper
08-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Talk about a boring cutdown day.

denverYooper
08-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Dorsey and Reed are waived-injured.

billy_oliver880
08-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Dorsey and Reed are waived-injured.

Were did this come from....I can't find a source.

denverYooper
08-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Were did this come from....I can't find a source.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 56m

BTW, both Kevin Dorsey and Jarvis Reed were waived-injured and likely will be released once injury settlements are reached #Packers

billy_oliver880
08-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks!

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Actually Sherrod didn't go on PUP, he went on the "reserve/physically unable to perform" list. Well, not a list, I think the team only gets to designate one such player. It gives him a whole 5 weeks to practice and not count against the roster. Maybe he is the player they are most hoping can return and contribute.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2013, 11:46 PM
I got that very misconsrewed.

Sherrod was just placed on the usual PUP list. The PUP list is called "Reserve PUP" once the season starts.

I thought he had been given the special "IR/designated to Return" status. Why I thought that remains mysterious.

OS PA
08-28-2013, 12:11 AM
And Graham Harrell gets picked up by the Jets. Amazing.

pbmax
08-28-2013, 12:42 AM

The man with limited talent shall be king in the land of wasted talent.

Patler
08-28-2013, 05:00 AM
Richardson's situation is interesting. I thought the issue was simply deciding if he can continue his career after they type of injury he had. Putting him on PUP implies that healing is still going on, unlike with Collins last year.

Fritz
08-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Agreed. I thought it was a good sign they Pup'd Richardson, as opposed to IR or injury settlement.

With Dorsey, it goes to show how much luck is involved in a player's career. He appears to have talent - he was drafted, at least, and not a UDFA - but he never could get on the field for the team to see whether there was enough talent to try to develop or not.

Not saying he would have made it had he not been hurt. Just saying that we'll probably never know.

Pugger
08-28-2013, 08:04 AM

I'm glad he found another job but I'm sorry for him that it is in that nuthouse.

Patler
08-28-2013, 08:12 AM

The man with limited talent shall be king in the land of wasted talent.

...and in the land of injured talent. Apparently, several of the Jets QBs are hurt, not practicing and unavailable for the last preseason game. They might just need another arm for the game.

mraynrand
08-28-2013, 08:13 AM
...and in the land of injured talent. Apparently, several of the Jets QBs are hurt, not practicing and unavailable for the last preseason game. They might just need another arm for the game.

too bad they couldn't find one

Guiness
08-28-2013, 08:53 AM

They and the Bills are going to be in a roster squeeze because of how many QB's they'll need to carry.

Assuming Sanchez's shoulder is bad enough that he's not available, and they don't trust Smith on the field at all, they'll need a starter and a backup for opening week - 4 QBs on the 53! The Bills are the same: Kolb and Manuel, Jeff Tuel and a backup (one of Leinhart or Thad Lewis). Kolb of course may be released or IRd.

Hilarious out of all this is how many comments I've seen at PFT saying "they should've picked up Vince Young"! lol:eyes:

Smidgeon
08-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Agreed. I thought it was a good sign they Pup'd Richardson, as opposed to IR or injury settlement.

With Dorsey, it goes to show how much luck is involved in a player's career. He appears to have talent - he was drafted, at least, and not a UDFA - but he never could get on the field for the team to see whether there was enough talent to try to develop or not.

Not saying he would have made it had he not been hurt. Just saying that we'll probably never know.

I'm hoping they put him and Charles Johnson on the PS so they have another year to find out if their speed translates to the pro game.

MadScientist
08-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Gilbert Pena was picked up by the Pats. Good luck to him. There was a nice puff piece on him at the start of TC, so if he can't crack their roster, maybe he can get a nice non career impacting injury so he can collect an NFL salary for a year before continuing his life.