PDA

View Full Version : Jonathon Franklin

Patler
08-25-2013, 03:51 AM
Roster spots are valuable. Is there really a reason to tie up one of the 53 final spots with Franklin? So far, he has shown little reason to give him a roster spot. He might still develop into the 3rd down back some have said he will, or the nice change of pace to a guy like Lacy, but I am starting to wonder if that will be at anytime this season, and if that merits a roster spot.

I think it might be best to try to get him on the practice squad, and if you can't and he goes somewhere else, don't worry about it.

The talent/potential and ST contributions from extra players at WR and TE might merit an extra roster spot more than Franklin. The uncertainty on the O-line might necessitate an extra roster spot more than Franklin.

Smeefers
08-25-2013, 06:52 AM
He'll make the team. I just think he'll be informed that he's the 53rd man.

denverYooper
08-25-2013, 07:00 AM
He'll make the team. I just think he'll be informed that he's the 53rd man.

I'm with Smeefers here. I think he showed enough as a pass catching RB for them to think he's worth the spot.

Pugger
08-25-2013, 07:23 AM
The only reason he's gonna make the team is they like his potential but don't think he'd clear waivers so they can stash him on the PS.

Smeefers
08-25-2013, 07:46 AM
I think Franklin has tremendous talent. I mean off the charts speed, great vision, amazing quickness and acceleration. Right now though, the game is just to fast for him. different guys learn at different rates. If you would of thrown Rodgers into the starting role his rookie year, he would have looked graham harrell-esque. RB is not as important as QB is though, so where I think the team gives QB's about 3 years to mature and turn into quality starters, a RB gets 1. Franklin should be showing sparks in practice and/or in the game either by the end of this year or at the start of next year. If he looks this lost this time next year, then it's time to cut your losses.

Carolina_Packer
08-25-2013, 08:25 AM
I think Franklin has tremendous talent. I mean off the charts speed, great vision, amazing quickness and acceleration. Right now though, the game is just to fast for him. different guys learn at different rates. If you would of thrown Rodgers into the starting role his rookie year, he would have looked graham harrell-esque. RB is not as important as QB is though, so where I think the team gives QB's about 3 years to mature and turn into quality starters, a RB gets 1. Franklin should be showing sparks in practice and/or in the game either by the end of this year or at the start of next year. If he looks this lost this time next year, then it's time to cut your losses.

I agree with your thought that roster spots are valuable, but I think it would be very impatient of the Packers if they decided to try and sneak him onto the practice squad, plus, as some have said, I think he gets snatched up in a heartbeat. He has enough talent that I think he can develop into a contributor this season. He just needs some seasoning.

KYPack
08-25-2013, 08:31 AM
He's one green rookie. The NFL game is going at light speed for him and he must catch up. Right now, he doesn't look as fast, as quick, or have as much shake as advertised. The area I really wonder about is pass pro. He has zero skills at that department as a rook. I think he gets a one year hall pass. If he comes in this green next year, he's gone.

BTW, he's first name is Johnathan, with the "H" & the Final "A", cute, eh?

Patler
08-25-2013, 09:30 AM
RB is one position where rookies seem to be able to contribute immediately. They either have the feel or they don't. They may not play a lot right away due to concerns about pass pro, but the talent as a runner is usually evident from the start. Franklin has shown nothing as a runner, whether from scrimmage or during returns. Even more concerning to me is that reports from TC have been that he has not shown anything on the practice field either.

Fritz
08-25-2013, 10:41 AM
RB is one position where rookies seem to be able to contribute immediately. They either have the feel or they don't. They may not play a lot right away due to concerns about pass pro, but the talent as a runner is usually evident from the start. Franklin has shown nothing as a runner, whether from scrimmage or during returns. Even more concerning to me is that reports from TC have been that he has not shown anything on the practice field either.

This is where I'm at with Franklin. If he showed flashes of great ability, sure, give him a hall pass. But it appears he's shown little talent, and isn't a ST demon.

Sounds like a JAG. 3rd down backs aren't that impossible to find.

pbmax
08-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Sounds like a JAG. 3rd down backs aren't that impossible to find.

Unless you are the Packers.

pittstang5
08-25-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm on the fence with Franklin and I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions. From what I've seen, read and heard - where he was drafted will be the only way he makes this team. At this point, I'd keep Green over Franklin and try to trade Starks. At least we know what we are getting with Green.

Patler brings up a good point, he'd be taking an important roster spot from somebody that can contribute now. Maybe he just needs some time. If they cut him and no one picks him up off waivers, maybe give him some bonus money to stay on the PS, if that's possible? But, do you really think any of the other 31 teams have room for a project, especially a RB project?

Guiness
08-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Pretty incredible there's a chance he's cut - 4th round picks not named Corey Rodgers generally make the team. After the draft he was being called a steal by some - with a chance to start over Lacy. If he is cut, I doubt very much he'll stick around, some other team will take a chance with him just based on his draft status.

red
08-25-2013, 12:19 PM
this is what worries me

you can usually tell right away with rookie running backs whether they have "it" or not. running back is not a position that takes 2 or 3 years to develop

franklin has not shown he has anything, much less "it"

mraynrand
08-25-2013, 12:55 PM
But, do you really think any of the other 31 teams have room for a project, especially a RB project?

The Raiders probably have about 15 roster spots available

Brandon494
08-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Hes a lock to make the roster but you won't see much of him this season.

Guiness
08-25-2013, 04:51 PM
The Raiders probably have about 15 roster spots available

Or 16. Pryor is getting the start for the final preseason game, Flynn on his way out?

mission
08-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Not defending the guy as he hasn't shown me anything either, but it's fair to note he's really only had opportunities with the backup OL and they've been atrocious at best.

Joemailman
08-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Or 16. Pryor is getting the start for the final preseason game, Flynn on his way out?

I'm sure the Raiders won't release him. No way they'd go into the season with just Pryor and a rookie at QB.