PDA

View Full Version : 25 roster spots for the offense

Patler
08-25-2013, 04:32 AM
GB tends to be balanced on their initial 53 man roster, 25-O, 25-D, 3-ST. I think there are some interesting possibilities for how those will be distributed on offense this year.

QB - 2 roster spots. If there ever was any chance that they would use 3 roster spots for QBs, it went away with the release of Harrell. The knowledge of Harrell and the athleticism/potential/experience of Young made it a possibility until they gave up on Harrell. Coleman is PS bound (or the streets).

RB/FB - 4 roster spots. This could be light, and they may use 5, but in view of other positions, are there really 5 who deserve roster spots? Lacy & Harris (if healthy) plus apparently Kuhn if sports writers are to be believed. I think Green is slowly showing he can contribute. He even had a nice kickoff return against Seattle. Starks fell to the bottom of the RB pile after his fumble last week. Reportedly didn't even get many reps in practice. I think his time in GB is done, I started a thread to discuss Franklin, so here I will just say this, try to get him on PS and don't worry if you lose him.

OL - 8 roster spots, maybe just 7. Six easy ones - Bakhtieri, Sitton, EDS, Lang, Newhouse and Barclay. After that it gets confusing. Van Roten seems to be up and down. No one else has distinguished himself. I think Van Roten is still PS eligible, as are Datko and all of the rookies, of course. So maybe you pick the 7th guy who will be active for games (they usually go with 7, occasionally 8) and try to get 2 others on the PS. Whoever the 7th guy is, he has to be able to play center.

WR - 6 roster spots. By going light at RB and/or OL, it allows you to keep the four best receivers, Ross for returns and one of the younger guys who seem to have potential. They can probably get another one or two to PS. If they start out with just 7 OL and 4 RB, they might even keep 7 WRs, In view of Cobb's and Nelson's injuries, that might not be a bad idea.

TE - 5 roster spots. Finley, Mulligan for his blocking (if healthy), Quarless for all-around ability, plus before his injury he was a good ST'er. This leaves 2 spots for Williams and/or Taylor for ST's and Bostic on receiving potential. Of course, Bostic should still be PS eligible, I think, and not a hot commodity around the league, so in a round-about way maybe you can keep all of them.

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2013, 09:49 AM
What stands out is how thin they are at OL. They really have no options at guard or center. I can see TT making a move.

Joemailman
08-25-2013, 10:46 AM
What stands out is how thin they are at OL. They really have no options at guard or center. I can see TT making a move.

Player-for-player trades are rare these days, but if there is a team out there thin on the defensive line, but deep on the offensive line, a trade could happen.

If Sherrod and Datko are not part of the 53 man roster, the Packers will go into the season with 4 offensive linemen that they drafted.

pbmax
08-25-2013, 11:45 AM

I am more worries about the starting tackles.

mraynrand
08-25-2013, 01:01 PM
OL - 8 roster spots, maybe just 7. Six easy ones - Bakhtieri, Sitton, EDS, Lang, Newhouse and Barclay. After that it gets confusing. Van Roten seems to be up and down. No one else has distinguished himself. I think Van Roten is still PS eligible, as are Datko and all of the rookies, of course. So maybe you pick the 7th guy who will be active for games (they usually go with 7, occasionally 8) and try to get 2 others on the PS. Whoever the 7th guy is, he has to be able to play center.

It seemed like they were going the 7 route with having Rotten play at center, but IIRC, he stunk at shotgun snaps, no? Either way, if he's the backup, they likely could be forced into a double shift if they lose EDS. Lang to center?? I agree with Max that tackle is a huge concern, but I suspect Sherrod will be on the 53.

Brandon494
08-25-2013, 03:31 PM
QB-2 Rodgers and Young

HB/FB-5 They keep Lacy, Harris, Kuhn, Green, and Franklin

WR-6 Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Boykin are locks. I think they'll keep Tyrone Walker as the 5th WR and keep Ross for returns.

TE-5 Finley of course, Mulligan will make the team on his blocking alone, Quarless is the most complete TE, while Taylor and Williams will remain on as key contributors on special teams.

OL-7 Bakhtieri, Sitton, EDS, Lang, Barclay and Newhouse are locks. I think Van Roten will be the 7th and eventually go with 8 when Sherrod comes off PUP.

Joemailman
08-25-2013, 04:01 PM
QB-2 Rodgers and Young

HB/FB-5 They keep Lacy, Harris, Kuhn, Green, and Franklin

WR-6 Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Boykin are locks. I think they'll keep Tyrone Walker as the 5th WR and keep Ross for returns.

TE-5 Finley of course, Mulligan will make the team on his blocking alone, Quarless is the most complete TE, while Taylor and Williams will remain on as key contributors on special teams.

OL-7 Bakhtieri, Sitton, EDS, Lang, Barclay and Newhouse are locks. I think Van Roten will be the 7th and eventually go with 8 when Sherrod comes off PUP.

I think they'll keep one of the 7th rounders instead of Walker. Walker strikes me as one of those training camp successes with little upside.

Brandon494
08-25-2013, 04:32 PM
I think they'll keep one of the 7th rounders instead of Walker. Walker strikes me as one of those training camp successes with little upside.

I think we'll be able to stash both 7th rounder WRs on PS without a problem. Walker has been solid all camp and could be this years Boykin, a very productive WR in college who is more a football player then athlete which I prefer.

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2013, 04:47 PM

This is probably right. Walker is a small target, and he is not fast. He does have a knack for the position.

Brandon494
08-25-2013, 04:57 PM
I guarantee neither 7th rounder WR will make the 53, they have been injured throughout OTAs and training camp. They just have not shown enough to earn a spot while Walker has been getting praises all camp. Walker might not have the size of Johnson or Dorsey but he produces which is all I care about. We have big WRs in Nelson, Jones, Boykin, and even Finley on the roster, nothing wrong with keeping slot WR behind Cobb.

Tyrone Walker, 22, finished his career as the school’s all-time leader in receptions (250), receiving yards (3,565), receiving touchdowns (32) and 100-yard receiving games (16). He earned first-team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference honors in 2012 after leading the conference in receptions (90), receiving yards (1,319) and TD catches (nine).

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2013, 05:42 PM
This is probably right. Walker is a small target, and he is not fast. He does have a knack for the position.

Walker doesn't excite me either. I'd be surprised if he makes the final roster.

pbmax
08-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Isn't Walker this year's Boykin? Good routes and hands? Rodgers liked throwing to both immediately. Like Boykin though, I suspect Walker does some time on the PS.

Brandon494
08-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Isn't Walker this year's Boykin? Good routes and hands? Rodgers liked throwing to both immediately. Like Boykin though, I suspect Walker does some time on the PS.

Boykin was never on the practice squad, he made the 53 last season as a UDFA. I just don't think they have much faith in Ross as a receiver but are forced to keep him because of his returning skills. Walker is still a long shot to make it but I like his chances over the two drafted guys.

Brandon494
08-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Walker doesn't excite me either. I'd be surprised if he makes the final roster.

They said they same thing about Boykin last season when they kept 6 WRs. :grin:

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Boykin looked like he belonged on the roster last preseason. I was intrigued by him.

pbmax
08-25-2013, 10:10 PM
They said they same thing about Boykin last season when they kept 6 WRs. :grin:

Forgot about the 6 WRs

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Isn't Walker this year's Boykin? Good routes and hands?

mini-me Boykin. 6-2 versus 5-10

Are there any small receivers in NFL who are not fast? I know Walker is quick.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2013, 08:56 AM
I am more worries about the starting tackles.

Sure, starters are first concern, but that doesn't mean the lack of depth at G & C isn't a problem. EDS goes down and we have a debacle.

I think Bob McGinn's interviews with scouts painted realistic picture of the shaky situation at tackle
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/could-tackle-be-a-weak-spot-for-packers-b9982164z1-220972341.html

When Bulaga went down, McGinn wrote a "don't worry, be happy" piece ridiculing the worry-warts. The article was widely celebrated by the optimists:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-have-a-shining-new-replacement-in-david-bakhtiari-b9969070z1-218460911.html

Are Bob McGinn and Joemailman now admitting they were wrong, and the sky may very well be falling?

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2013, 11:07 AM
With the DL looking improved, Lacy looking legit, Cobb and Nelson looking healthier, OT is definitely the biggest concern. I don't think it is neglect by TT either.He's spent two first round and several midround selections on OT. The bright side is that Newhouse and Barclay started a lot last year, so the situation looks no worse than last year. I was hoping for improvement though. I was hoping that would come from Bulaga and perhaps Sherrod.

run pMc
08-26-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm not convinced they keep 5 TE's. I think if Quarless doesn't have any setbacks he makes the roster but one of D.J Williams or Taylor get cut. I like Williams, but I think he's the likely cut, and I think they try to stash Stoneburner or Bostick on the PS. With the Dustin Keller injury, I hoped Philbin would ask TT to trade D.J. Williams to MIA for something.

If you keep 6 WR's with Walker and Ross, they might not need as many TE's on the roster, not with the mess at OL (where I think they will probably keep 8).
Coleman is headed for the PS.

Did they keep 26 or 25 on offense last year? Was thinking it was 26.

Patler
08-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Did they keep 26 or 25 on offense last year? Was thinking it was 26.

24 on opening day. Defense had 26.

hoosier
08-26-2013, 01:21 PM
mini-me Boykin. 6-2 versus 5-10

Are there any small receivers in NFL who are not fast? I know Walker is quick.

Wes Welker.

Fritz
08-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I think we'll be able to stash both 7th rounder WRs on PS without a problem. Walker has been solid all camp and could be this years Boykin, a very productive WR in college who is more a football player then athlete which I prefer.

Word in Detroit is that the Leos are "scouring other teams' possible wide receiver waivers" to find a fourth and fifth wideout.

I doubt that both Johnson and Dorsey make it to the PS. Lions seem desperate.

Brandon494
08-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Word in Detroit is that the Leos are "scouring other teams' possible wide receiver waivers" to find a fourth and fifth wideout.

I doubt that both Johnson and Dorsey make it to the PS. Lions seem desperate.

They have no tape on Johnson or Dorsey because both have barely played so yea they have to be desperate if either two 7th rounder draft picks were able to make their 53 man roster. :-) I see them going after someone who had a good preseason on another team or maybe even Walker if we cut him.

Brandon494
08-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Brandon Bostick might not make it to PS though.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/61528/could-oakland-raiders-turn-to-green-bay-packers-for-tight-end-help?ex_cid=espnapi_public

run pMc
08-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Brandon Bostick might not make it to PS though.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/61528/could-oakland-raiders-turn-to-green-bay-packers-for-tight-end-help?ex_cid=espnapi_public

If Bostick gets signed TT will find another TE for the PS like Stoneburner or someone from another roster. Bostick has talent but he's still a project.

run pMc
08-26-2013, 08:55 PM
They have no tape on Johnson or Dorsey because both have barely played so yea they have to be desperate if either two 7th rounder draft picks were able to make their 53 man roster. :-) I see them going after someone who had a good preseason on another team or maybe even Walker if we cut him.

+1
They'd have to be very desperate. They release Mike Thomas, who they traded for last year from JAX. I'm not sure what DET is doing. Maybe they let Matt Millen back in the building.

Dorsey is dinged up again, and Johnson is raw. They'll look for a veteran who can step in before they raid someone's PS. Worst case scenario has Nate Burleson playing there; I think they'd flex Reggie Bush out and have him play if they were pressed for receivers not named Megatron.