PDA

View Full Version : Packers Sign Kicker

pbmax
08-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 17m
#Packers announce they've signed another kicker -- Zach Ramirez.

Apparently used to be known as Zach Brown.

Maybe we should forget the no punting strategy on fourth down and go with NO field goals unless absolutely necessary. Save the roster spot and have Masthay kickoff and attempt end of half/game attempts.

gbgary
08-25-2013, 12:03 PM
just saw this. tt clearly isn't happy.

red
08-25-2013, 12:11 PM
why can't we just make life easy and grab a proven vet that we know can hit a 35 yarder?

but no, we have to go the undrafted rookie route, ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joemailman
08-25-2013, 12:20 PM
why can't we just make life easy and grab a proven vet that we know can hit a 35 yarder?

but no, we have to go the undrafted rookie route, ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any proven vet that isn't with a team is probably proven mediocre at best. Al least until final cuts are made.

Joemailman
08-25-2013, 12:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/zachary-ramirez?id=2541186

OVERVIEW

At Portland State's pro day, Ramirez did a 34-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot-5 broad jump. Six kickoffs went into the end zone, and was also a perfect 6-for-6 on field goal attempts at the pro day, including making two from 55 yards out.

As one of the top kickers at the Football Championship Subdivision level, Ramirez was 17-for-18 on field goal attempts during the 2012 season.

At the Super Regional Combine held in Dallas on April 7-8, Ramirez missed just one field goal attempt, which came from 40-plus yards out.

Went by Zachary Brown at Portland State, but his legal name is Zachary Ramirez.

TravisWilliams23
08-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Is he hoping for immigration reform to become a US citizen?
Why the name change UNLESS he's gay, just married and took his lovers last name! :shock:

Cleft Crusty
08-25-2013, 12:46 PM
withdrawn

mraynrand
08-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Is he hoping for immigration reform to become a US citizen?
Why the name change UNLESS he's gay, just married and took his lovers last name! :shock:

Madtown will clear this up - he is an expert across the board on those issues.

pbmax
08-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 16s
Could #Packers bring in Carpenter and have four kickers?

pbmax
08-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 16s
Could #Packers bring in Carpenter and have four kickers?

If I were Carpenter, I would fire my agent for this recommendation unless Carpenter missed 2 kicks in their game.

gbgary
08-25-2013, 02:26 PM
they just finished up practice. crosby & ramirez 10-11 (both hitting from 60, 63...wind-aided), tavecchio 9-11

denverYooper
08-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Legatron boomed a 58 yarder last night that would have been good from 70. He made it look like a chip shot.

Packers4Glory
08-26-2013, 08:50 AM
give me the new guy ramirez. big leg and hungry. done.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2013, 09:02 AM
If I were Carpenter

and you were a lady, would you have my baby?

pbmax
08-26-2013, 12:13 PM

Not unless you can raise the dead.

Pugger
08-26-2013, 02:01 PM

Then there would be a star in the east.

mraynrand
08-26-2013, 02:05 PM

repped for nice Johnny/June Cash reference.

MadScientist
08-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Kickalicious was just cut by Detroit (Akers had a good camp). At this point what can it hurt to bring him in for a tryout at least.

gbgary
08-27-2013, 12:13 PM
the winner will be determined during today's practice. should be fun.

packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Tavecchio-still-has-chance-to-be-Packers-kicker (http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Tavecchio-still-has-chance-to-be-Packers-kicker/67472931-858b-433a-bc98-62d0e35c103a)

QBME
08-27-2013, 12:19 PM
It seems as though Mr. Ramirez is shitting all over himself at practice today.

MadScientist
08-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Ramirez chocked big time and Crosby was locked in. Ramirez will be on the waver wire in an hour. Still wouldn't mind seeing Kickalicious in for a tryout.

denverYooper
08-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Paul Imig ‏@Paulimig 15m

Mason Crosby finished the day 14 for 14. Zach Ramirez was 6 for 16. Meanwhile, Giorgio Tavecchio is at home. #Packers

denverYooper
08-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Crosby ended by nailing a 64 yarder.

gbgary
08-27-2013, 12:45 PM
game over.

King Friday
08-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Thompson has some egg on his face. Nice move picking up yet another unproven, untested kicker to challenge for the starting job...and watching him completely implode on your practice field.

Crosby always was significantly better than any of the dopes we brought into camp...even in a funk. Nice to see him end the contest with an exclamation point. Hopefully it drives away the yips for awhile.

King Friday
08-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Still wouldn't mind seeing Kickalicious in for a tryout.

Why?

Crosby...under the pressure of keeping his job...just went 14 for 14. In other words, perfect.

There is no reason to question that Crosby is the guy we should move forward with at this point. He's not the best kicker in the league, but he's much better than any of the scrubs on the waiver wire.

red
08-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Why?

Crosby...under the pressure of keeping his job...just went 14 for 14. In other words, perfect.

There is no reason to question that Crosby is the guy we should move forward with at this point. He's not the best kicker in the league, but he's much better than any of the scrubs on the waiver wire.

and last year under the pressure of game time pressure crosby sucked big time

even those of us that were firmly in his corner for most of last season knew he had to go

anyone whos been watching the kick numbers come in from camp knows that mason has been anything but clutch so far. he's had one great day and we're just suppose to forget about how bad he's been?

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Actually, his numbers are pretty good in camp (84%)--especially considering most of the kicks have been from 40-60 yards. A bad intrasquad scrimmage and a rough practice really brought his numbers down. It's just camp though. We'll see. I've always been a Crosby fan. I think he's been unfairly judge most of his career because of the difficulty of his kicks (where he kicks and the distances). Last year, he was horrible though. I like him better than anybody available at this point.

digitaldean
08-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Thompson has some egg on his face. Nice move picking up yet another unproven, untested kicker to challenge for the starting job...and watching him completely implode on your practice field.

Crosby always was significantly better than any of the dopes we brought into camp...even in a funk. Nice to see him end the contest with an exclamation point. Hopefully it drives away the yips for awhile.

No reason for TT to be embarrassed, KF. It would have been embarrassing if we went with Ramirez into season and then he looked like David Birney or Eddie Garcia.

He went on a hunch. Better to have it blow up now than during the season. Besides if Mason misses some chippies that cost us games before the bye, he'll be out of town on a rail anyway.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2013, 07:30 PM

And the cost to the team is?

red
08-27-2013, 07:44 PM
And the cost to the team is?

maybe games, if he kicks like he kicked last year

hoosier
08-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Prediction: Crosby misses a few kicks against KC, so they cut him and re-sign the Italian Stallion.

mraynrand
08-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Prediction: Crosby misses a few kicks against KC, so they cut him and re-sign the Italian Stallion.

More like the Tivoli Poni

pbmax
08-27-2013, 08:33 PM
I just have no faith that he won't go into a funk in mid-season. No confidence at all that they know what the problem is.

King Friday
08-27-2013, 08:48 PM
I'd say most kickers in the league are capable of a midseason meltdown...if you take them out of domes and stick them in Lambeau. Kickers are inherently nuts.

King Friday
08-27-2013, 08:57 PM
No reason for TT to be embarrassed, KF. It would have been embarrassing if we went with Ramirez into season and then he looked like David Birney or Eddie Garcia.

Letting Ramirez have the opportunity to earn the job based on ONE WEEKS OF WORK IN PRACTICE is pretty close to going into the season with him and having him look like a clown. There was NO REASON to bring the guy into camp. Can you seriously gain 100% confidence in a kicker who has only been in town for a week?

It makes no sense to me. It just looks like Thompson was grasping at straws. He was damn fortunate that Crosby ran the gauntlet today and didn't even garner a scratch. It makes it easier to laugh off the dumb move of bringing in a nobody and giving him a chance to actually earn the starting job. It doesn't make the move any less dumb from my viewpoint though.

Brohm
08-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Actually TT/MM stated this was the second look they have had at Ramirez.

Patler
08-28-2013, 04:44 AM
Letting Ramirez have the opportunity to earn the job based on ONE WEEKS OF WORK IN PRACTICE is pretty close to going into the season with him and having him look like a clown. There was NO REASON to bring the guy into camp. Can you seriously gain 100% confidence in a kicker who has only been in town for a week?

It makes no sense to me. It just looks like Thompson was grasping at straws. He was damn fortunate that Crosby ran the gauntlet today and didn't even garner a scratch. It makes it easier to laugh off the dumb move of bringing in a nobody and giving him a chance to actually earn the starting job. It doesn't make the move any less dumb from my viewpoint though.

What does it hurt for him to have a weeks practice? Nothing. Teams are not only finalizing their 53 man rosters, they are also developing short lists at each position to bring people back if injuries hit, or a player on the roster tanks during the season. Apparently they had looked at Ramirez in a tryout before. This let them have a few days with him to know him better than they did before. This is exactly what training camp is for.

Fritz
08-28-2013, 06:09 AM
Since teams are bringing guys in for a look-see in case bodies are needed during the season, I say why not bring in kickalicious for a quick look? He clearly has the leg strength, so it'd be interesting to see how far off he is in terms of his fundamentals, and in terms of his ability to hit a good onside kick.

That way, if (or is it "when") Crosby goes into a funk, you know exactly who the best kicker is to bring in. I think Tavecchio is a possible short-term solution if need be - he seems accurate enough - but it's clear the team does not think he has the leg strength necessary to kick well in December and January.

Joemailman
08-28-2013, 06:14 AM
What does it hurt for him to have a weeks practice? Nothing. Teams are not only finalizing their 53 man rosters, they are also developing short lists at each position to bring people back if injuries hit, or a player on the roster tanks during the season. Apparently they had looked at Ramirez in a tryout before. This let them have a few days with him to know him better than they did before. This is exactly what training camp is for.

I agree. If Crosby starts to struggle again, TT could be pretty quick to cut him and bring Ramirez back.

Patler
08-28-2013, 06:47 AM
I agree. If Crosby starts to struggle again, TT could be pretty quick to cut him and bring Ramirez back.

Well, bring someone in. Not sure it would be Ramirez after he went 6/16 in practice yesterday.

Fritz
08-28-2013, 06:56 AM
I saw Ramirez at the airport last night, on his way out.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1CIC1NR3N1kbKqj9iJQDxYqSu2sI5l RY6aqniSuMPjwZDGvks

pbmax
08-28-2013, 11:50 AM
FIRE SLOCUM!

Upnorth
08-28-2013, 12:32 PM
FIRE SLOCUM!

keep it in the fire slocum thread, geesh

Fritz
08-28-2013, 04:12 PM
I wonder what happened to Ramirez. Sounds like the guy just spasmed. Was it the pressure, was it the rush-rush of trying out, flying out, practicing suddenly, what?

Seemed to have a leg, but at the key moment, after he'd impressed on Sunday, I think, he just shriveled.

And I wonder too if Crosby needs a fire under his ass at all times. If I were TT, I'd think about bringing in a different kicker every week for a tryout, and two during the playoffs.

Hell, if the Packers got to the SB this year, I'd fly three or four kickers in and have them sit in uniforms during SB practices, up in the stands. Just watching.

denverYooper
08-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Aaron Nagler ‏@Aaron_Nagler 2m

The Packers worked out Kickalicious RT @MrRugland: Had a great workout with Green bay this morning. Thankful for the opportunity

packer4life
08-30-2013, 05:53 PM
I know Kickalicous looks sensational and all, but does anyone here really trust a guy that has NEVER played in a regular season pro game? I mean, really?

Guiness
08-30-2013, 08:30 PM
I know Kickalicous looks sensational and all, but does anyone here really trust a guy that has NEVER played in a regular season pro game? I mean, really?

I thought it was roundly decided here that kickers aren't players?

Joemailman
08-30-2013, 08:34 PM

Well, every player has never played in a regular season game until they play in their first one.

pbmax
08-30-2013, 09:15 PM
If fear works with Crosby then they should try out a new kicker every week. Even after the season is over.

mraynrand
08-30-2013, 09:23 PM
If fear works with Crosby then they should try out a new kicker every week. Even after the season is over.

as I say, every player needs different motivation - if it works for Crosby, keep it up.

pbmax
08-30-2013, 09:48 PM
I think Dan Carpenter just got waived again.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5h
Jets cut Dan Carpenter, Nick Folk wins kicking competition http://wp.me/p14QSB-9fZU

Carolina_Packer
08-30-2013, 11:00 PM

Nobody does it, but can you put a kicker on the practice squad? I know you can't protect them because they don't count as a roster spot and any team can go after them, but wouldn't it be cool to get the guy a little seasoning and see what he could become? The video is pretty cool if you have not seen it.