PDA

View Full Version : O-line Bottom Line

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2013, 08:15 AM
I am very unsure how things will turn out. I'm leaning doom-and-gloom because I don't see how an injury at guard or center can work out. Can Barclay move in there and be just fine?

Which side are you on, Bob McGinn?

Packers have a Shining Replacement in David Bakhtiari (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-have-a-shining-new-replacement-in-david-bakhtiari-b9969070z1-218460911.html)

Could Tackle be a Weak Spot for Packers? (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/could-tackle-be-a-weak-spot-for-packers-b9982164z1-220972341.html)

Pugger
08-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Having a rookie at LT, no matter how talented, is gonna be "interesting" at times this season and why having a legit running game can make all the difference in the world this season.

Guiness
08-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Having a rookie at LT, no matter how talented, is gonna be "interesting" at times this season and why having a legit running game can make all the difference in the world this season.

I don't remember the last time I heard of a non-first round rookie LT starting week 1 of the regular season. Heck, the last time a non top 10 draft pick did.

But if you want to talk about screwed, did anyone notice who started at LT for the Eagles this pre-season? Allen Barbre!!! Yes, THAT Allen Barbre.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2013, 08:53 AM
But if you want to talk about screwed, did anyone notice who started at LT for the Eagles this pre-season? Allen Barbre!!! Yes, THAT Allen Barbre.

I would not be shocked if he turned in a decent season. That's because I think offensive linemen can improve a lot during their careers. Allen Barbre showed some physical ability in the year prior to when he became a starter in Green Bay. I similarly think that Newhouse might yet be a capable starter for the Packers this season.

denverYooper
08-27-2013, 09:13 AM
I would not be shocked if he turned in a decent season. That's because I think offensive linemen can improve a lot during their careers. Allen Barbre showed some physical ability in the year prior to when he became a starter in Green Bay. I similarly think that Newhouse might yet be a capable starter for the Packers this season.

As long as he doesn't have to face Adewale Ogunleye, he might be ok.

mraynrand
08-27-2013, 09:26 AM
I am very unsure how things will turn out. I'm leaning doom-and-gloom because I don't see how an injury at guard or center can work out. Can Barclay move in there and be just fine?

They have to do a double or triple shift, to put the guy who can snap shotgun at center, assuming that's Barclay. Rotten then goes to guard, and Outhouse to tackle.

BTW, EDS is not bad, but he has to learn when to come off a double team to stop a LB when the defense has two coming. Rodger's last pass, EDS did a fine job redirecting the DL to Sitton, but was late coming off. Wells and other good centers know how to make that move by extending an arm and then pivoting to the rushing LB.

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Jason Wilde says on radio and blog that Van Roten and Taylor have played poorly in preseason and don't warrant roster spots.

Wilde's notion is that Lang will be the backup center for 2013, with Barclay and Newhouse filling out the right side of line. I wasn't aware that Lang ever saw any work at the center position.

I can see TT giving up a draft pick for a backup G/C. There's a real hole in the roster.

Joemailman
08-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Jason Wilde says on radio and blog that Van Roten and Taylor have played poorly in preseason and don't warrant roster spots.

Wilde's notion is that Lang will be the backup center for 2013, with Barclay and Newhouse filling out the right side of line. I wasn't aware that Lang ever saw any work at the center position.

I can see TT giving up a draft pick for a backup G/C. There's a real hole in the roster.

Lang practiced some at Center a couple of years ago when Wells was hurt, and MM has mentioned a couple of times that he thinks Lang could play Center. However, I don't think they have ever gotten serious about the idea because Lang has been the emergency OT when they've had injuries there. We could see it this year though, especially if Sherrod comes back to provide some depth at OT.

pbmax
08-28-2013, 11:34 PM
If I see Lang gets snaps at center versus the Chiefs then I'll buy it, but I am not sure he has spent any time there this camp. One of the G-C backup guys makes the roster plus loser at RT. That would be seven.

Fritz
08-29-2013, 07:06 AM

Which side are you on, Bob McGinn?

Packers have a Shining Replacement in David Bakhtiari (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-have-a-shining-new-replacement-in-david-bakhtiari-b9969070z1-218460911.html)

Could Tackle be a Weak Spot for Packers? (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/could-tackle-be-a-weak-spot-for-packers-b9982164z1-220972341.html)

There is no doubt in my mine that the offensive line is the weakest position group on the team. While EDS is an upgrade over Saturday, so would be my mother, too. EDS is okay. Lang has really been a disappointment. Ted's so careful handing out the new contracts but he gave Lang a fair amount of dough and all we have for it so far is a lot of "doh!" when Lang gets pushed into the backfield.

Bulaga was frankly an experiment at LT - he hadn't done it professionally. Having said that, then Bahkteria is a junior high science experiment. Scary. It could work out, but man, it could be a very weak spot on a weak line.

Right tackle. Eh. An undrafted guy competing with a former fifth rounder who everyone agrees would be a nice backup.

Sitton is the only good offensive lineman on the team.

The backups? Every year we worry about the Packers cutting players that will immediately get snapped up by other teams. We can't afford to cut Johnson at wide receiver! He might get picked up! We better not cut Boyd or someone will snatch him up! But GB's backups would be lucky to be picked up by a CFL team (sorry, Upnorth).

Aaron Rodgers and Eddie Lacy are going to have to compensate for the weaknesses of this line. If this line doesn't get them killed.

Have a nice day.

wist43
08-29-2013, 08:32 AM
Yes, it is true... I have doppelgangered Fritz :)

:rs:

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2013, 08:49 AM

Van Roten and Lewis, Patrick Lewis.

Wilde says on radio he is going to write a story on the backup center situation.

One point to make about 2012: the record was good, but the leaky tackles allowed a lot of hits of Rodgers. Maybe we were lucky to make it through season. I'm hoping that Newhouse is better, but that is just a faith-based hope.

Fritz
08-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Yes, it is true... I have doppelgangered Fritz :)

:rs:

Better to be doppelgänged than gang banged.

wist43
08-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Better to be doppelgänged than gang banged.

On this we agree :glug:

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2013, 06:14 PM
sounds like you two have some unpleasant memories

wist43
08-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Well - of course - the OL is my other main bitch about our current Packers.

Bacteria showed well in the first 2 preseason games - but he got his ass handed to him against Seattle. If not for Rodgers getting rid of the ball quickly, he would have been roadkill a few times.

And of course we are underpowered everywhere. Again, this is a philosophical weakness that is inherent in how TT/MM view OL play - "mobile" and "versatile" trump tough and physical every time. Combine that with the fact that they simply will not invest high draft picks on the interior - Lang was drafted in the 4th - and it is entirely predictable what we're going to get - underpowered, developmental guys that get moved all over the place, take time to develop, and once they do develop are still underpowered.

I don't mind mining for prospects at certain positions - G and C are positions that you can take that approach with, but the philosophical liability combined with not being able to develop guys has made for an ongoing mess.

If not for Rodgers developing into an All-Pro QB, the OL would have long ago been exposed - even moreso than they have been.