PDA

View Full Version : Crosby Restructured

denverYooper
08-29-2013, 10:35 AM
I thought this was pretty interesting.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1m

Good get from @brian_mcintyre, can confirm Mason Crosby restructured salary to $800K in 2013. Can makeup difference in $2.4 thru incentives.

QBME
08-29-2013, 10:54 AM
I thought this was pretty interesting.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1m

Good get from @brian_mcintyre, can confirm Mason Crosby restructured salary to $800K in 2013. Can makeup difference in $2.4 thru incentives.

This ought to be interesting. A little more pressure added to every kick?

KYPack
08-29-2013, 11:00 AM
This ought to be interesting. A little more pressure added to every kick?

Sounds like some "pre-cut" maneuvering.

At some point, should we quit messing with the poor bastard?

Bring in 20 kickers, keep screwing with his money, isn't some of this gonna wear the guy out?

denverYooper
08-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Sounds like some "pre-cut" maneuvering.

At some point, should we quit messing with the poor bastard?

Bring in 20 kickers, keep screwing with his money, isn't some of this gonna wear the guy out?

Maybe he just needs to know the wolves are at his door. I mean, his performance against Ramirez to keep his job was described by some beats as one of the most impressive displays of kicking ever.

denverYooper
08-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Some more details:

Michael Rodney ‏@PackerUpdate 31m

Crosby will receive $400K for every 5 games on roster and "not likely to be earned incentives" for field goal percentage, etc.

denverYooper
08-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 1h

Crosby would earn a $400K roster bonus if on 46-man roster for 5th game, and another for Game 10. Has $800K NLTBEs for field goal percentage

Cheesehead Craig
08-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Hey, if it makes the guy kick >88% for the season I"m thrilled.

pbmax
08-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Well, Crosby might or might not become a lock down FG kicker, but he seems like decent guy. This had to be a kick in the gut.

Ted can be a stone eyed killer.

denverYooper
08-29-2013, 11:33 AM
You don't mess with Ted's money, that's for sure.

Fritz
08-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Wow. What a kick in the balls.

But maybe Crosby needs to be threatened constantly with job loss in order to do well.

Great Flannery O'Connor story on this general topic, called "A Good Man Is Hard to Find."

mraynrand
08-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Players all respond differently to pressure and to the various motivational tricks, and of course, superstition...

All I give a damn about's, winning the Super Bowl. My athletes have got to have their heads in the right place. Shit, Roger, you been in this business a long time. You know how superstitious these guys are. I've got a quarterback who puts his socks on backwards, since high school. I've got a line backer who has not washed his jockey strap in two years because he thinks flies are lucky

cheesner
08-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Wow. What a kick in the balls.

But maybe Crosby needs to be threatened constantly with job loss in order to do well.

Great Flannery O'Connor story on this general topic, called "A Good Man Is Hard to Find."

TT should be our PK. If he can kick a football as hard as he kicked Crosby's balls, he would be good from the 50 easily.

run pMc
08-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Oh, I don't know. Crosby has to know he's on thin ice from last year. People wondered if he was going to be cut before the playoffs last season. Restructuring helps his cause, because now he looks like a bargain. Colt McCoy restructured to keep his job as the backup QB for SF, for example.

It would be a kick in the balls if TT took the money he's saving from the Crosby restructure to bring in Dan Carpenter (with a fat signing bonus) for camp competition.

Guiness
08-29-2013, 01:52 PM
lol, why would Dan Carpenter, unemployed kicker going into the last preseason game command a fat signing bonus???

I was wondering if this was a contract year or not for Crosby, but he's got 2 years on his deal after this one. They apparently remain intact.

Kind of weird the way this all fell out. He beats out two guys challenging his job, they are cut then he takes a pay cut? Seems a bit backwards to me.

With the latest CBA I think we're going to see more of this sort of thing. There already seems to be a fair amount of it going on. The NFL cranked fines way up to prevent players under contract from holding out, now the other side of the coin comes into play, they can put a gun to a player's head and demand pay cuts. They need guaranteed contracts in the NFL - team offered the money, he accepted, team changed their mind and claws it back.

Fritz
08-29-2013, 01:53 PM
TT should be our PK. If he can kick a football as hard as he kicked Crosby's balls, he would be good from the 50 easily.

And if TT had Crosby's aim, he'd miss Crosby's left nut by hitting wide right.

Brandon494
08-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Lmao Ted knew he had him by the balls...either you take a pay cut or you get cut. I still would have rather went with the Italian, hopefully Crosby will prove me wrong.

Guiness
08-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Lmao Ted knew he had him by the balls...either you take a pay cut or you get cut. I still would have rather went with the Italian, hopefully Crosby will prove me wrong.

I find it kind of weird that Crosby restructures AFTER the other two are cut? Although, MM did make noise that Taveccio was still in the running even though he was sent home, maybe TT showed Crosby his cell phone and who was on his speed dial...

mraynrand
08-29-2013, 02:40 PM
They should have restructured Crosby a long time ago...

http://www.3dartistonline.com/users/1007/thm450/frankenstein_final_1k.jpg

swede
08-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Some more details:

Michael Rodney ‏@PackerUpdate 31m

Crosby will receive $400K for every 5 games on roster and "not likely to be earned incentives" for field goal percentage, etc.

Something about that clause seems a little demeaning...as if to say "Pffft! Like Mason would ever hit 85% of his field goals! Ha hah!"

Patler
08-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Did the same thing with Hawk, who really wasn't in danger of losing his job, except for the money.

Joemailman
08-29-2013, 05:31 PM

Sergio couldn't get his kickoffs to the goal line in August. Come December, teams would have been getting awfully good field position against the Packers.

red
08-29-2013, 05:33 PM
well, you got a guy who's barely on the roster, and a lot of fans think he shouldn't be on it

why should he be one of the better paid kickers in the league?

hoosier
08-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Weird times for Crosby. Apparently after reviewing the practice film they determined that one of his field goals on Tuesday actually came up a few feet short. Based on the restructuring that scoring correction cost him $1000.

This has been a busy summer for the veteran kicker. Green Bay signed Giorgio Tavecchio to compete with Crosby in training camp, adding Zach Ramirez late as well. Now, Crosby is the only kicker on the roster with Week 1 approaching. After Tavecchio was released, Crosby converted 13 of 14 kicks in duel with Ramirez, who went 6 of 16. Upon further review, one of Crosby's long attempts fell just short. Since Ramirez was signed, Crosby went 23 of 25.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

Bretsky
08-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Sergio sucked on kickoffs. Dan Carpenter was da man to take Crosby's job IMO if we won that battle. Carpenter is now on what...his 4th team this preseason ? I think he lands as a kicker somewhere

denverYooper
08-30-2013, 07:36 AM
Interesting rundown of Crosby's total skillset: http://www.packerpedia.com/mason-crosby.html

Including this nugget:

Fourth, a kicker needs to be able to pull off an onside kick fairly frequently.

Onside kicks aren’t used very often, but when they are used it is usually during a very crucial situation. A kicker who is good at onside kickoffs can be a tremendous asset. In this regard, Crosby is quite good. The percentage of onside kicks that are successfully recovered by the kicking team is usually somewhere around 15%. Over his career, Crosby has a 33% success rate. But in the last three years, as he has refined his skill, he has gotten even better, with the Packers successfully recovering 75% (3 of 4).

Patler
08-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Interesting rundown of Crosby's total skillset: http://www.packerpedia.com/mason-crosby.html

Including this nugget:

I don't think the kicker should be judged on whether or not his team actually recovers an onside kick, it should be whether or not he gives them the opportunity to do so. So many times you see the kicker hit a dribbler that fails to go far enough, or a lazy pop-up that is easily caught by the returning team. I haven't seen Crosby do that.

Patler
08-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Sergio sucked on kickoffs. Dan Carpenter was da man to take Crosby's job IMO if we won that battle. Carpenter is now on what...his 4th team this preseason ? I think he lands as a kicker somewhere

I wonder what the problem is with Carpenter.

Maxie the Taxi
08-30-2013, 09:08 AM
I wonder what the problem is with Carpenter.

You mean besides the fact that he's a kicker? :grin:

Patler
08-30-2013, 09:14 AM
You mean besides the fact that he's a kicker? :grin:

Good point!