PDA

View Full Version : Company line BS from Harlan and Gannon

Patler
08-30-2013, 11:31 AM
They said it again last night, as they have for several years now during the last preseason game. They referred to scouts at the game from other teams gathering info so they can pounce on the Packers' castoffs. Funny thing is, it hasn't happened the last few years. A few have been picked up as the season progressed, but waiver claims have not been that common for Packer cuts. It will be interesting to see what happens this year.

mraynrand
08-30-2013, 11:36 AM
FA and retirement losses translate through the roster, and depth suffers; that depth is no longer so attractive.

RashanGary
08-30-2013, 11:38 AM
They said it again last night, as they have for several years now during the last preseason game. They referred to scouts at the game from other teams gathering info so they can pounce on the Packers' castoffs. Funny thing is, it hasn't happened the last few years. A few have been picked up as the season progressed, but waiver claims have not been that common for Packer cuts. It will be interesting to see what happens this year.

Ted is good at keeping unusual roster balance to keep the talent in GB. I wouldn't be shocked if we kept 8 DL. Raji, Pickett, Jones, Wilson, Daniels, Miller, Jolly and Boyd (Boyd being the only guy who looks more developmental than able to contribute today.) But still, if he let's any of these guys go, they're going to be on another roster.

swede
08-30-2013, 11:39 AM

They did say that Ted Thompson gets physically ill as cutdown time approaches. Just as they were saying that they caught Ted on camera as he leaned over and retched a stream of sputum onto the field. It was a little shocking since Ted usually carries himself with higher expectorations than that.

As to the players, Harlan and Gannon were also saying how awesome our defensive backs were and that Kansas City would certainly want to sign whomever we did not keep. This as those awesome defensive backs were getting torched by backups.

RashanGary
08-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Shit, I forgot to put Neal on there. We could easily have 9 DL. All guys belong in the league. It's hard for me to imagine letting any of them go to keep some so/so guy at another position. That's what the practice squad is for. Marginal NFL talent belongs on the practice squad, not the 53.

pbmax
08-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Neal started the game for Matthews at OLB.

red
08-30-2013, 12:16 PM
they also mentioned that slocum was one of the best in the game

i had to leave and go puke

Patler
08-30-2013, 12:30 PM
That's what the practice squad is for. Marginal NFL talent belongs on the practice squad, not the 53.

Yup, and the last few years the Packers have seemingly gotten almost everyone they wanted on the PS.

I think the philosophy in the NFL has changed a bit. With the amount of stuff they cram into the off season, another team's rejects are necessarily better than your own #s 50-53 who are at least familiar with what you want to do. There aren't so awful many waiver claims anymore. Sometimes there seems to be more change during the first few weeks of the season than right at the final cutdown.

Maxie the Taxi
08-30-2013, 12:35 PM
they also mentioned that slocum was one of the best in the game

i had to leave and go puke

Trust me. Anyone my age can tell you there is nothing good about slocum.

red
08-30-2013, 01:43 PM
LOL

Fritz
08-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Trust me. Anyone my age can tell you there is nothing good about slocum.

Although slocum is still better than nocum.

Rastak
08-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Yup, and the last few years the Packers have seemingly gotten almost everyone they wanted on the PS.

I think the philosophy in the NFL has changed a bit. With the amount of stuff they cram into the off season, another team's rejects are necessarily better than your own #s 50-53 who are at least familiar with what you want to do. There aren't so awful many waiver claims anymore. Sometimes there seems to be more change during the first few weeks of the season than right at the final cutdown.

I think that's a pretty good observation with more truth than guesswork.

bobblehead
09-07-2013, 08:16 AM
I had to bump this thread....not to gloat or rub noses because I agreed. I didn't think our talent was that great this year, but as it turned out, more packer cuts were claimed than any other team.

Fritz
09-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Which makes me wonder why Green Bay's #2's and 's got beat up so bad in preseason by other teams' 2's and 's.

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2013, 08:22 AM
I think the number of players picked-up might be a better indicator of depth than the performance of 2nd string in preseason. Those preseason games are a joke. They are shuffling people in and out so much.

Fritz
09-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Maybe MM and company are getting outcoached?

Or maybe MM just uses the games to "get film" on guys. I dunno.

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Or maybe MM just uses the games to "get film" on guys.

This. They don't even put a 2nd string team out there for any period of time. You got the 4th string mixed in right from the start. My hero, 5th stringer Jerry Miller, was playing snaps with the first team D-line in first series. Obviously MM is testing individuals and not worrying about results.

Cobra Kai
09-07-2013, 10:13 AM
What's funny is the Packers have an unusually large number of players claimed this year after cut down. However the player cut that caused the most outrage on this board remains unemployed...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Miller_(American_football)

Patler
09-07-2013, 10:25 AM
This year was very unusual. 45 players were claimed, more than twice as many as in recent years. Why such a change is anyone's guess, but 20 of the 45 went to just three teams, Chiefs and Jaguars 7 each, the Browns 6.

Fritz
09-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Where is Brandon Smith?

Patler
09-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Where is Brandon Smith?

I think he is at home, waiting for his phone to ring.

I expected the Packers to sign him to the PS. Late in camp, Witt talked about being excited for the opportunity to work with a guy of that size and athletic ability. Talked about how different he could be with more than just a few months as a DB. I thought he might be their first choice for a CB on the practice squad, but they went with Nixon, who is even faster.

pbmax
09-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Which makes me wonder why Green Bay's #2's and 's got beat up so bad in preseason by other teams' 2's and 's.

QB was the problem. Backup defense played pretty well.

pbmax
09-07-2013, 11:31 AM
What's funny is the Packers have an unusually large number of players claimed this year after cut down. However the player cut that caused the most outrage on this board remains unemployed...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Miller_(American_football)

wist is still hurt. Miller is a game changer and its obvious a D lineman who doesn't show much in his first year will never develop. :)