PDA

View Full Version : Which player was the most surprising GB cut?

Patler
09-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Which cut made by the Packers surprised you the most?

For me, it was Mulligan.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 07:35 AM
I don't think we saw enough of Mulligan to know whether he was all that. Perhaps you are surprised because he was the only blocking TE.

If we have another poll asking "Greatest myth of training camp" - and such a thing could happen, Insha'Allah - I would say that "depth at the TE position" would be be my pick. Turns out we had a high pile of guys.

BTW, the "Green over Starks" argument is stuck in my craw. Starks is the proven early down runner, he obviously had to be kept when Harris crapped out. Argument should be "Green over Franklin."

denverYooper
09-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Vince Young.

denverYooper
09-01-2013, 07:56 AM
BTW, the "Green over Starks" argument is stuck in my craw. Starks is the proven early down runner, he obviously had to be kept when Harris crapped out. Argument should be "Green over Franklin."

This. Franklin's been dinged for his whiffs in pro this preseason but was known to be decent there in college. Green has been in the system a few years and was not able to take over the 3rd down role. I think they just went with the younger guy without the injury history. Plus, Franklin played like a demon on special teams. They must have liked the cut of his jib.

denverYooper
09-01-2013, 08:00 AM
So, with the Mulligan cut, I wonder if Q showed enough that the staff thought he'd be able to get back to form this year.

He was a good blocker before the injury. He even showed some soft hands in the preseason with the smoothest looking catch and run I've seen from a Packer TE in years.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 08:03 AM
So, with the Mulligan cut, I wonder if Q showed enough that the staff thought he'd be able to get back to form this year.

He was a good blocker before the injury. He even showed some soft hands in the preseason with the smoothest looking catch and run I've seen from a Packer TE in years.

A "potential" pick, because he did naught in preseason, but I generally agree with your comments. I think it is a faith-based decision, they are praying he returns to past form and more.

Smeefers
09-01-2013, 08:32 AM
I was surprised that we cut vince. I thought he was a good fit because he was such a change of pace qb. If Rodgers went down for half a game, vince could pull us through. If Rodgers went down for 4 games? Well... Maybe not then.

Fritz
09-01-2013, 09:14 AM
In retrospect, none are terribly surprising, though Green was a bit of a surprise, and I am surprised Crosby managed to hang on to his job, at least until the first time a 40 yard field goal misses wide right.

Bring on Havard Rugland!

He needs work on his consistency of form, apparently - but Crosby seems to, as well...

pbmax
09-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Young. Though the level of surprise was dampened a bit because McCarthy seemed to telegraph the disappointment after the Chiefs game. That plus Coleman's underwhelming performance.

Green. Thought ST would win out here and cost Starks his job.

Mulligan was mitigated somewhat by Quarless' return and the fact that the team wanted to do something with Bostick other than cut him.

Joemailman
09-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Young. I thought they'd give him some time to learn the offense, hoping that if he had to play his running ability would offset some other failings.

However, prior to yesterday's cuts, McGinn had this to say about Young's performance at KC:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/john-kuhn-could-be-go-to-man-on-3rd-downs-b9987460z1-221889711.html

Vince Young looked worse on tape than he did live in Kansas City.

On a night when he wasn't calling plays, McCarthy saw it all from 25 yards away. Based on his words and demeanor afterward, it would appear the Packers are having serious reservations.

No matter what Young can do with his legs, no quarterback can last in Green Bay unless he pays close attention to detail and executes.

On Thursday night, 31/2 weeks after his signing, Young couldn't execute the offense. Period.

Will the Packers release Young and start over with the best of Saturday's retreads?

"They have to," one NFL personnel director said Friday night after reviewing the Kansas City tape. "He stinks. Looks like he can't retain the plays. He freelances."

gbgary
09-01-2013, 10:01 AM
moses.

wist43
09-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Miller.

As much b/c Miller not only played well, but Boyd is a complete turd.

mraynrand
09-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Miller.

As much b/c Miller not only played well, but Boyd is a complete turd.

the turd in your rectum (Boyd, unknown) is worth two in the can (Miller - two seasons of nothing).

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Fact: Miller looked like a much better football player than Boyd in preseason to most analysts and posters.

fact: preseason is preseason

fact: Skinbasket is an awful, awful person who this morning is celebrating the loss of a job for an African American

Tony Oday
09-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Walker.

RashanGary
09-01-2013, 01:18 PM
I voted Miller because I thought he flashed some Mike Daniels type talent. Tyrone Walker would be my other choice because he looks like a really good football player.

Patler
09-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Walker.

Tyrone Walker would be my other choice because he looks like a really good football player.

I liked Walker too, and yet the Packers don't seem to be interested in him even for their practice squad. They have already signed 2 WRs, White and Johnson.

Fritz
09-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Not enough speed and they already have Boykin?

pbmax
09-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Not enough speed and they already have Boykin?

He is more quick than speed but man, he always seemed to hang on to the ball. You would have liked to see him with a year's seasoning. This is more weird to me than Miller (who has a lot more pro tape to go on).

Pugger
09-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Walker.

Me too.