PDA

View Full Version : Ok, the initial 53 are set, who will be the first to go?

Patler
09-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Making the final 53 out of TC can be a very fleeting accomplishment. Often, a player or two will barely make it to a practice, let alone the first game before being released. Who of the Packers "final" 53 established on 8/31 will be the first to be released?

My money is on BJ Coleman. GB will sign a veteran QB as the #2 and Coleman will be released. It will probably happen in the next couple days.

I think Banjo will be gone whenever they need a roster spot after Burnett is deemed healthy.

If they need a spot before Burnett is cleared, Lane Taylor will be released. He will be inactive on game days anyway. They will get him on the practice squad.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Coleman and Taylor are the obvious placeholders.

Speaking of Banjo, I would say the cuts yesterday were extremely fan friendly.
Bostick, Banjo, Mulumba, Jolly were all borderline choices, but flashy preseason warriors that the fans want to see more of.

Iron Mike
09-01-2013, 07:52 AM
I'm thinking Nate Palmer needs to earn the nickname "Napalm" before he gets cut:

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Nate+Palmer+Green+Bay+Packers+Rookie+Camp+Ham_7Ohx BUOl.jpg

Fritz
09-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Lots of guys could lose their jobs. The ones mentioned above. And Van Rotten.

gbgary
09-01-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm thinking Nate Palmer needs to earn the nickname "Napalm" before he gets cut:

nice!

pbmax
09-01-2013, 10:51 AM
The ones mentioned above. And Van Rotten.

You can't find someone who can slow motion a snap just anywhere Fritz. Takes time and practice, like a knuckleball.

Tony Oday
09-01-2013, 11:21 AM
What QB out there is better than Coleman? They come in knowing nothing if the offense.

Patler
09-01-2013, 12:06 PM
What QB out there is better than Coleman? They come in knowing nothing if the offense.

Sure, but a veteran like Grossman, Carr, etc. knows how to be a pro, how to prepare and what it is like to play in crucial situations. They have a lot of experiences in a lot of different offenses and should pickup GB's relatively quickly.

For someone to manage the offense for a week or two, I might look to the likes of Grossman, Carr, even Quinn (who Charlie Weiss said picked up his offense faster than any QB he had ever been around).

Patler
09-01-2013, 12:08 PM
You can't find someone who can slow motion a snap just anywhere Fritz. Takes time and practice, like a knuckleball.

Two weeks ago he had one that looked as if it stopped in mid-air. VY stepped forward and grabbed it. Kind of amazing, actually.

Fritz
09-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Maybe he's a magician.

Freak Out
09-01-2013, 12:56 PM

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Nate+Palmer+Green+Bay+Packers+Rookie+Camp+Ham_7Ohx BUOl.jpg

Classic trading card pose.

RashanGary
09-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Coleman and Taylor are the obvious placeholders.

Speaking of Banjo, I would say the cuts yesterday were extremely fan friendly.
Bostick, Banjo, Mulumba, Jolly were all borderline choices, but flashy preseason warriors that the fans want to see more of.

In fairness to fans, making football plays on the football field, while it's exciting and easy to get behind, it's also legitimate when it comes to winning football games.

Emotions serve a purpose, HH. They let us know when something is right or wrong a lot of the time. Just because we get an emotional reaction from good plays doesn't mean those good plays should be discounted. And if you take emotion out of football, players wouldn't play so hard or do the things they do, nor would most of us care to even watch.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 01:45 PM
You misunderstand me, I very much wanted all 4 players kept. I am in favor of keeping preseason warriors, even tho I mock it a bit.

Guiness
09-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Sure, but a veteran like Grossman, Carr, etc. knows how to be a pro, how to prepare and what it is like to play in crucial situations. They have a lot of experiences in a lot of different offenses and should pickup GB's relatively quickly.

For someone to manage the offense for a week or two, I might look to the likes of Grossman, Carr, even Quinn (who Charlie Weiss said picked up his offense faster than any QB he had ever been around).

Grossman and Carr. Maybe we should see if Couch is still hanging around. Veteran is one thing, washed up is another.

I don't think Coleman will be the first to go. The way MM seems to play it, they'll keep him around unless a backup QB is needed. If Rodgers goes down, Coleman finishes the game (my guess would be Lacy finishes the game, but whatever) and THEN they go looking for a backup. Seems to me that was the plan last year with GH, except the plan was never needed. Did anyone think Harrell was going to get a start?

Looks like the Pack is heavy at ILB, but then again only 3 TEs which I think is the lowest in MMs tenure, so they're covering the STs.

My money is on Boyd.

Joemailman
09-01-2013, 05:17 PM
I don't think Coleman is going anywhere. The release of Young, more than anything, means MM wants a backup who knows the offense. Unless Matt Flynn shockingly becomes available, Coleman will be the backup.

Pugger
09-01-2013, 06:09 PM

Quinn could play with his BIL.

Bretsky
09-01-2013, 09:33 PM
There are now better QB's out of work that B.J. Coleman; I'm shocked he is on a roster

Pugger
09-02-2013, 06:43 AM
I don't think Coleman is going anywhere. The release of Young, more than anything, means MM wants a backup who knows the offense. Unless Matt Flynn shockingly becomes available, Coleman will be the backup.

After sleeping on this and us signing Tolzien to the PS I too think we are gonna roll with Coleman as the backup.

Patler
09-02-2013, 01:44 PM
...and the answer to the question raised in this thread is:

B.J. Coleman.

RashanGary
09-02-2013, 05:27 PM
...and the answer to the question raised in this thread is:

B.J. Coleman.

Showoff :)

Joemailman
09-02-2013, 05:39 PM

I nailed that one!

packer4life
09-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Cutting our 3 backup QBs is unfortunate.

Only silver lining here is that when a move backfires, TT isn't too proud to take a leap to fix it. He often strikes me as too proud to let go of a failed personnel decision, but he isn't hiding behind that pride on this one.

mraynrand
09-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Cutting our 3 backup QBs is unfortunate.

Only silver lining here is that when a move backfires, TT isn't too proud to take a leap to fix it. He often strikes me as too proud to let go of a failed personnel decision, but he isn't hiding behind that pride on this one.

TT doesn't strike me that way at all, in fact, he strikes me as a guy who gets pissed if he keeps a failure too long.