PDA

View Full Version : Former Packers still playing - starting lineup

Patler
09-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Lets put together a lineup of former Packers who are still playing today.
A start:

OFFENSE
TE - Tom Crabtree - #2 on depth chart in TB

LT - Allan Barbre - #2 in Philly
LG - Darryn Colledge - Starter in Arizona
C - Scott Wells - starter in St Louis
RG - Jamon Meredith - #2 for the Bucs
RT - Breno Giacomini - starter in Seattle

QB - Matt Flynn - alive in Oackland
RB - Brandon Jackson - still up in Cleveland
FB - Vonta Leach - Baltimore
WR - Greg Jennings - starter in MN
WR - ?

DEFENSE
DL- Cullen Jenkins - starting for the Giants
DL - Phillip Merling - #3 in Washington
DL - ?

LB - Desmond Bishop - #2 in MN
LB - Frank Zombo - #2 in KC
LB - Nick Barnett #2 in Washington
LB - Paris Lenon - #2 in Denver

Extra LB - DJ Smith - #3 in San Diego

CB - ?
CB - Josh Gordy - Colts
S - Charles Woodson
S - Anthony Levine - Baltimore

Special teams
Punter - Jon Ryan - Seattle
Kicker - ?
LS - J.J. Jansen (Carolina), Thomas Gafford (Kansa City), Clark Harris (Bengals) all held onto their jobs

gbgary
09-01-2013, 10:18 AM
interesting. that team's better than buf.

mraynrand
09-01-2013, 10:42 AM
I'd love to see that Packer defense play that O-line. 10 sacks easy.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Letting Crabtree go was TT's Cullen Jenkins Misfire of 2013.

Clearer in hindsight, obviously, but I thought it was worth resigning him at the time. Crabtree was more reliable than any TE in Packers camp this summer.

Of course Quarless yet has a chance to be the same role player and more. We'll have to see how he progresses. He does fill the tats hole.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Andrew+Quarless+Green+Bay+Packers+v+Minnesota+qKFY 7cjR2xrl.jpg

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Tom+Crabtree+Chicago+Bears+v+Green+Bay+Packers+PfT qzz8SUuql.jpg

mraynrand
09-01-2013, 10:52 AM
http://www.007james.com/i/actors/dr_no/john_kitzmiller/john_main.jpgQuarrel at 70% is vastly superior to Crabtree at 110%. Crabtree was awesome because no one respected him on offense so he could sneak a play here and there. Good blocker, good on teams. Quarrel is better on teams and prob about the same blocking. Hopefully he can recover from being burned alive.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Quarless looked crappy this preseason, perhaps because he is still coming back from injury. Saying he is better than Crabtree, when Q has done exactly zero on the field his whole career, is beyond the pale. You should be given a timeout by Madtown.

That said, hope springs eternal, I have no idea what Q will look like in November. He has the measurables, it is written.

Joemailman
09-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Crabtree was carted off the field Thursday night with a leg injury,

pbmax
09-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Quarless looked crappy this preseason, perhaps because he is still coming back from injury. Saying he is better than Crabtree, when Q has done exactly zero on the field his whole career, is beyond the pale. You should be given a timeout by Madtown.

He did have one phenomenal pass catch. An over the shoulder lob job from Young I think. Kind of pass that usually ends up with a TV timeout for injury.

pbmax
09-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Crabtree was carted off the field Thursday night with a leg injury,

Just a sprain, nothing broken!

mraynrand
09-01-2013, 11:01 AM

you have a short memory (Quarless had more receptions in 2010 that Crabby has in three years)

Joemailman
09-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Just a sprain, nothing broken!

So, he's out for three months? Oh wait. He's not a Packer anymore!

pbmax
09-01-2013, 11:02 AM
So, he's out for three months? Oh wait. He's not a Packer anymore!

There is no timeline yet.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 11:08 AM
It could be I have forgetten Quarless's highlights. Crabtree is obviously nothing more than solid, but he didn't get a huge contract either. I think Mulligan and Crabtree had roughly equivalent contracts, but I am too lazy to verify.

edit: OK, I verified, and since I was right, I will report
Mulligan $820K for 1 year
Crabtree $1.6M for 2 years

mraynrand
09-01-2013, 11:13 AM
It could be I have forgetten Quarless's highlights. Crabtree is obviously nothing more than solid, but he didn't get a huge contract either. I think Mulligan and Crabtree had roughly equivalent contracts, but I am too lazy to verify.

edit: OK, I verified, and since I was right, I will report
Mulligan $820K for 1 year
Crabtree $1.6M for 2 years

mulligan v. crabby, i like crabby. too late...

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2013, 09:57 AM
It occurs to me that Erik Walden needs to be an outside linebacker on that ex-Packer team.

Walden's meltdown in San Fran has caused people to forget how good Walden was in most of the games last year. Here is Bob McGinn to remind you:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-walden-due-for-a-raise-jb7ilmb-178262421.html

I read a story somewhere from Indianapolis saying Walden has looked good in preseason.

KYPack
09-03-2013, 10:05 AM
It occurs to me that Erik Walden needs to be an outside linebacker on that ex-Packer team.

Walden's meltdown in San Fran has caused people to forget how good Walden was in most of the games last year. Here is Bob McGinn to remind you:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-walden-due-for-a-raise-jb7ilmb-178262421.html

I read a story somewhere from Indianapolis saying Walden has looked good in preseason.

I'm in Indy territory down here.

Same old Walden, some great plays, some brain locks.

Colt fans are hopeful, but very worried.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2013, 10:09 AM

He was considered one of the best players on the Packer defense last year. "same old Walden" was not as inconsistent as you are saying. The fans were mostly praising him last year. The big mistakes in open field stick in the memory more than his typically good games. McGinn was fair, in my view.

Patler
09-03-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm in Indy territory down here.

Colt fans are hopeful, but very worried.

I completely forgot about Walden when I put together my list. I would have had him in place of Zombo on my "team".

mraynrand
09-03-2013, 10:36 AM
I think Zombo is a boot licker. Did you see that guy hanging around the ST coach and then the HC all the time, esp. after he 'made a play?' (had the ball fall in his arms). The squeaky wheel gets the oil I guess.

P.S. Think it's pretty funny that Reid lured Chi ST coach back to his fold(s); another reason the Bears are poised to collapse this year.

Upnorth
09-03-2013, 10:50 AM
HOw did Giocomini play last year, Seattle looked like they had a good line.

Even this packers Oline sucks at LT.

pbmax
09-03-2013, 11:44 AM
HOw did Giocomini play last year, Seattle looked like they had a good line.

Even this packers Oline sucks at LT.

Everything I have read has them looking to replace him as his numbers were the worst on the line. But as for how he compared, I only saw him in two games. And I have blocked one of them out of memory.

KYPack
09-03-2013, 12:27 PM
He was considered one of the best players on the Packer defense last year. "same old Walden" was not as inconsistent as you are saying. The fans were mostly praising him last year. The big mistakes in open field stick in the memory more than his typically good games. McGinn was fair, in my view.

Anything you say, Old Blue.

He made some plays last season.

Had his best game against Indy.

He also had the kind of outages that you can't tolerate from a starting OLB.

He has been inconsistent his entire career.

We got him because of a fugly game he had for Miami. As the FB on the punt team, he let the middle rush man for the opponents go unblocked twice on consecutive punts for costly punt blocks. Indy got him bc of the SF debacle.

You want him?

You & McGinn can have him.

Guiness
09-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Everything I have read has them looking to replace him as his numbers were the worst on the line. But as for how he compared, I only saw him in two games. And I have blocked one of them out of memory.

I thought I heard somewhere that he was the most penalized RT in the league.

hoosier
09-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Lets put together a lineup of former Packers who are still playing today.
A start:

OFFENSE
TE - Tom Crabtree - #2 on depth chart in TB

LT - Allan Barbre - #2 in Philly
LG - Darryn Colledge - Starter in Arizona
C - Scott Wells - starter in St Louis
RG - Jamon Meredith - #2 for the Bucs (or Caleb Schlauderoff, Jets)
RT - Breno Giacomini - starter in Seattle

QB - Matt Flynn - alive in Oackland
RB - Alex Green (more upside than Jackson)
FB - Vonta Leach - Baltimore
WR - Greg Jennings - starter in MN
WR - ?

DEFENSE
DL- Cullen Jenkins - starting for the Giants
DL - Phillip Merling - #3 in Washington
DL - Jason Hunter -- starting LE for Oakland
DL- Jarius Wynn--#2 in SD

LB - Desmond Bishop - #2 in MN
LB - Frank Zombo - #2 in KC
LB - Nick Barnett #2 in Washington
LB - Paris Lenon - #2 in Denver

Extra LB - DJ Smith - #3 in San Diego
Dezman Moses, KC

CB - Will Blackmon, Jaguars
CB - Josh Gordy - Colts
S - Charles Woodson
S - Anthony Levine - Baltimore
or Matt Giordano-- #2 in St Louis

Special teams

Punter - Jon Ryan - Seattle
Kicker - ?
LS - J.J. Jansen (Carolina), Thomas Gafford (Kansa City), Clark Harris (Bengals) all held onto their jobs

updates in bold

mraynrand
09-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Would anyone experience schadenfreude if Caleb Schlauderoff gets injured?

Iron Mike
09-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Colin Cole's playing for the Panthers...

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2013, 06:05 PM
You want him?

You & McGinn can have him.

Nah, not really. McGinn wrote his glowing praise piece before Eric Walden had two bad games. I just remember the guy played with fire, something in short supply on the Pack defense last year. I stick up for him because I believe he is underrated. I also stuck up for Barnett. Familiarity breeds contempt. Hometown fans learn the shortcomings of the Walden, Barnett, Hawks, and they tend to piss on guys too much, especially as they leave town.

I will be very interested in seeing how Eric Walden works out, he is a bit of a mystery.

Patler
09-04-2013, 01:22 AM
Mulligan signed with New England.

Fritz
09-04-2013, 06:30 AM
So we gave the Patriots a mulligan, huh?

As for Walden, well, he's example #1 as to why coaches crave consistency. A couple blown assignments and you've cost your team the game.