PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Practice Squad

pbmax
09-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2m
Patrick Lewis will be signed to the PS

Well, they are covered for large, non athletic Guards and Centers. Soon wist will need to complain about execution rather than size.

run pMc
09-01-2013, 11:38 AM
I suppose signing him to the PS doesn't hurt anything.

Has lots of experience at C, can see why they have been giving him snaps at G, but worry about him being undersized relative to other C/G's on the pro level.
Then again, if you only plan to have him sub in for a handful of snaps he might pan out. If your C goes on IR in Week 2, I'm not sure you want him in there all season.

Patler
09-01-2013, 01:22 PM

Well, they are covered for large, non athletic Guards and Centers. Soon wist will need to complain about execution rather than size.

JSO reports that the Browns claimed him on waivers.

Patler
09-01-2013, 01:26 PM
JSO reports the following are known to be signed to the Packer PS:

QB - Scott Tolzien
WR - Myles White
TE - Jake Stoneburner
WR - Charles Johnson

Patler
09-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Add:
CB - James Nixon

pbmax
09-01-2013, 01:50 PM
JSO reports that the Browns claimed him on waivers.

I am not too troubled by the loss. He had severe limitations and his best trait was playing center but he wasn't better than EDS and pretty even with GVR. Taylor can cover Guards from a backup perspective.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Add:
CB - James Nixon

good!

Patler
09-01-2013, 01:59 PM
I am not too troubled by the loss. He had severe limitations and his best trait was playing center but he wasn't better than EDS and pretty even with GVR. Taylor can cover Guards from a backup perspective.

Ya, it is hard to get concerned about the loss of an undrafted rookie. Even for a drafted rookie who can't seem to catch a spot on the final 53.

Taylor does seem to have some upside, and hopefully VanRoten figures out the shotgun snap.

pbmax
09-01-2013, 02:00 PM
3rd Down Back Available: Sign One Packer Castoff, Need to Release Another

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 33m
Patrick Lewis claimed off waivers by Browns, per league source

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 31m
Browns release RB Brandon Jackson, per league source.

pbmax
09-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 31m
Ex-#Packers claimed by other teams: LB Dezman Moses, LB Terrell Manning, RB Alex Green, OL Patrick Lewis, TE D.J. Williams.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 20m
NFL sources confirm San Diego has claimed Terrell Manning and Kansas City was awarded Dezman Moses per @PeteDougherty

denverYooper
09-01-2013, 02:06 PM

The 49ers OLinemen are athletic, after all.

bobblehead
09-01-2013, 02:11 PM
3rd Down Back Available: Sign One Packer Castoff, Need to Release Another

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 33m
Patrick Lewis claimed off waivers by Browns, per league source

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 31m
Browns release RB Brandon Jackson, per league source.

Woot, we found our 3rd down back.

denverYooper
09-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Woot, we found our 3rd down back.

This. BJax was the man on 3rd downs.

pbmax
09-01-2013, 02:24 PM
This. BJax was the man on 3rd downs.

But Holy Cow was that a long learning curve for him about how to use blocks in screen game. OY!

Patler
09-01-2013, 02:27 PM
But Holy Cow was that a long learning curve for him about how to use blocks in screen game. OY!

and how to pickup a blitzing LB'er.

Fritz
09-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Where did Alex Green go?

run pMc
09-01-2013, 04:13 PM
D.J. Wiliams to JAX, Green to NYJ. We coulda just traded them McKnight for Green...

pbmax
09-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 19m
Door still open for FB Jonathan Amosa to return to #Packers but flew back to Seattle this afternoon. Three practice-squad spots remain

pbmax
09-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Well, one query of mine answered. Boyd not kept to get Miller onto practice squad, he is ineligible.

For those asking, here are rules for players to be eligible for #NFL practice squads (and why @VinceYoung isn't):
Per NFL rules: After 11 a.m. CDT Sunday, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of eight
players by signing free agents who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 46-player Active List for less than nine regular-season games during their only Accrued Season(s). A player cannot participate on the Practice Squad for more than three seasons.

A player earns a year of free-agency credit by being active for at least six regular-season games. So a player who plays in fewer than six games is still eligible for the practice squad. Vince Young has started 50 career regular-season games, making him ineligible.

pbmax
09-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Andy Gappa ‏@Andy_Gappa 17h
@jasonjwilde Any word on McKnight signing??

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 16h
@Andy_Gappa I had heard that they were unlikely to sign him.

So are McKinight and McDuffie SomethingOrOther, the RB/WR from Rice just normal run of the mill tryouts or are Ted and M3 looking for something? Due diligence?

pbmax
09-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Matt Peters ‏@matthewmpeters 22h
@jasonjwilde With all those contracts up on DL after this year, can't be too surprised Boyd is sticking around, right?

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 20h
@matthewmpeters I thought they'd try to get him to the practice squad. Trgo yelled at him nonstop.

pbmax
09-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1m
GB tried out QB Scott Tolzien, RB Joe McKnight, WR Sam McGuffie and guards Bryan Collins and Chandler Burden today.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 9m
Forget to mention earlier, ex-Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer also among those who cleared waivers and is now an unrestricted free agent

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2013, 06:01 PM
So, Tyrone Walker doesn't get claimed and doesn't even get added to the Packers practice squad?

Pugger
09-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Where did Alex Green go?

NYJ. He's joining Graham Harrell, poor guy.

pbmax
09-01-2013, 06:12 PM
So, Tyrone Walker doesn't get claimed and doesn't even get added to the Packers practice squad?

Nope. And Scott Tolzien will not be spilling any 49er secrets to the Packers this week either, apparently.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 9m
Interesting Packers tried out Scott Tolzien, who was fighting for Niners backup job until last week, & didn't sign him. Happy w BJ Coleman?

pbmax
09-01-2013, 06:13 PM
CORRECTION!

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 50s
Correct. My mistake. Tolzien is on Packers P-squad. RT @YuckyGoup: @RapSheet packer media saying he will be signed to their ps

packrulz
09-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Green Bay Packers
WR Charles Johnson, CB James Nixon, TE Jake Stoneburner, QB Scott Tolzien, WR Myles White
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237146/article/practice-squads-for-all-32-nfl-teams

Pugger
09-02-2013, 06:33 AM
With the signing of Tolzien would we now go after a vet QB and then cut Coleman? I suspect we are done with the QB merry-go-round and will go with Coleman as Rodgers' backup. Frankly, he's better than Harrell was behind AR last season.

denverYooper
09-02-2013, 07:23 AM
With the signing of Tolzien would we now go after a vet QB and then cut Coleman? I suspect we are done with the QB merry-go-round and will go with Coleman as Rodgers' backup. Frankly, he's better than Harrell was behind AR last season.

Coleman probably showed enough for them to keep working with him. He flashed some great plays, albeit mixed with plenty of bad ones. Even though he was more wild than Harrell, he showed a better arm and the ability to make quick decisions. I suspect they want to get him all of the #2 reps to see if he keeps progressing.

swede
09-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Coleman probably showed enough for them to keep working with him. He flashed some great plays, albeit mixed with plenty of bad ones. Even though he was more wild than Harrell, he showed a better arm and the ability to make quick decisions. I suspect they want to get him all of the #2 reps to see if he keeps progressing.

In the first preseason game he looked irredeemably lost and confused. As the preseason went on I saw growth by Coleman. I saw good throws that were dropped and plays that were extended as he moved in the pocket "feeling" the pressure and seeing the field. If he shows as much progress from this year to next as he did in the pre-season we may have something. And if we have something, MM's somewhat undeserved reputation as a quarterback guru will be bolstered considerably.

RashanGary
09-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Boyd os listed as the sole backup NT on our roster. They must think he's gonna be a big guy. 310 now. Could he push 330 next year?

Pugger
09-02-2013, 09:08 AM

Well, scratch that with Coleman now cut! :shock:

Fritz
09-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Wow. Ted been blowing some draft picks.

swede
09-02-2013, 09:24 AM
In the first preseason game he looked irredeemably lost and confused. As the preseason went on I saw growth by Coleman. I saw good throws that were dropped and plays that were extended as he moved in the pocket "feeling" the pressure and seeing the field. If he shows as much progress from this year to next as he did in the pre-season we may have something. And if we have something, MM's somewhat undeserved reputation as a quarterback guru will be bolstered considerably.

Overtaken by events. This is stupid. I hope San Francisco snaps up Coleman. This whole back up QB thing has been as smooth as a fifteen year old on Ritalin learning to drive a manual transmission while being chased by bears.

MJZiggy
09-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Overtaken by events. This is stupid. I hope San Francisco snaps up Coleman. This whole back up QB thing has been as smooth as a fifteen year old on Ritalin learning to drive a manual transmission while being chased by bears.

You say this like it comes from experience...

pbmax
09-02-2013, 10:08 AM

Yes. We will. :D

pbmax
09-02-2013, 10:27 AM
To replace Lewis, Packers have G Bryan Collins on the PS.

pbmax
09-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m
More QB movement ---> RT @nyjets: The Jets have signed QB Brady Quinn and released QB Graham Harrell.

pbmax
09-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5h
#Packers add two to the practice squad: T Aaron Adams and RB Michael Hill.

Well, yes, I thought they were highly likely to be signed. And this makes seven by my count (whoops forgot earlier today) so we are set.

QB Badger Tolzein, Michael "Thrill" Hill, Aaron "Airman" Adman, Charles "Professor" Johnson, Myles "Blower" White, James "Checkers" Nixon, Jake "Magma" Stoneburner and Bryan "Y Not I" Collins.

Guiness
09-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5h
#Packers add two to the practice squad: T Aaron Adams and RB Michael Hill.

Well, yes, I thought they were highly likely to be signed. And this makes seven by my count so we seem to be one short.

Tolzein, Michael Hill, Aaron Adman, Charles Johnson, Myles White, James Nixon, Jake Stonebreaker(?!),

I wonder if Coleman is right off their radar? Pretty crazy the guy makes the 53 then they don't even offer him a PS spot even though he is eligible. Might depend on how Tolzein looks over the next week or 2.

Patler
09-03-2013, 02:10 AM
I wonder if Coleman is right off their radar? Pretty crazy the guy makes the 53 then they don't even offer him a PS spot even though he is eligible. Might depend on how Tolzein looks over the next week or 2.

I don't think Coleman ever "made" the 53. He was merely a place-holder for the veteran they intended to find. If, for some reason they were unable to sign one for week 1, Coleman would have filled the role of backup in practice and for the game until they did sign someone else. Coleman was kept over VY because of salary.

Smidgeon
09-03-2013, 10:27 AM
The only PS squaddie I'm happy we signed was Charles Johnson. I'm holding out hope that he can transition to NFL speed.

mraynrand
09-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Tolzein sounds like a medication:

"For those aching joints that just don't respond to ibuprofen, use Tolzien balm, and rub the pain away"

Patler
09-03-2013, 11:21 AM
The only PS squaddie I'm happy we signed was Charles Johnson. I'm holding out hope that he can transition to NFL speed.

He was one I was anxious to see in camp. Then, it never happened.

Fritz
09-03-2013, 11:36 AM
He was one I was anxious to see in camp. Then, it never happened.

Like my experience trying to date Drew Barrymore.

pbmax
09-03-2013, 11:46 AM
I wonder what happened to WR Dorsey. He was the Maryland WR who fell off the edge of the planet when his QBs transferred or were knocked off like bootleggers in the 20s, wasn't he?

Had nice numbers before his senior season unless I have the hard luck stories confused.

Joemailman
09-03-2013, 11:55 AM
I wonder what happened to WR Dorsey. He was the Maryland WR who fell off the edge of the planet when his QBs transferred or were knocked off like bootleggers in the 20s, wasn't he?

Had nice numbers before his senior season unless I have the hard luck stories confused.

I know a guy who is a Maryland alum and follows the football program closely. He said they lost their top 3 QB's to injury(?) last year, which killed their passing game. He had only 18 catches last year, but was still explosive, averaging 17 YPC with 4 TD's.

Patler
09-03-2013, 12:19 PM

Ya, that was a bit odd. He started practicing a couple days before Johnson, I think they cut him in the first reduction to 75. I figured he would end up on the PS.

Joemailman
09-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Ya, that was a bit odd. He started practicing a couple days before Johnson, I think they cut him in the first reduction to 75. I figured he would end up on the PS.

Dorsey is on injured reserve.

MadScientist
09-03-2013, 01:20 PM
As it stands 4 of the 8 on the practice squad were from the Packers camp. That has to be the lowest to start the season in TT's tenure. In a number of previous seasons all of the PS players were from the Packers camp. Either they have been scouting other teams more and better this year, or more likely this years and last years draftees and UDFA's weren't up to snuff. That would also translate to crappy preseason games, once the starters leave.

Guiness
09-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Like my experience trying to date Drew Barrymore.

Johnson fared better. I'm guessing you never made Drew's practice squad.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Pictures accepted.

Fritz
09-03-2013, 01:48 PM
No, you are right. She doesn't even know I'm alive. Sniff, sniff.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2013, 05:51 PM

I was intrigued by him, but from what little I saw, I was disappointed. I don't think his speed translates to the NFL as much as I thought it would. Hopefully, it was just the injury, but he had a hard time getting separation against backup corners.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2013, 05:52 PM

Wasn't he waived/injured? If so, they aren't even keeping him around. At least, that's what I thought I read.

MJZiggy
09-03-2013, 07:59 PM
As it stands 4 of the 8 on the practice squad were from the Packers camp. That has to be the lowest to start the season in TT's tenure. In a number of previous seasons all of the PS players were from the Packers camp. Either they have been scouting other teams more and better this year, or more likely this years and last years draftees and UDFA's weren't up to snuff. That would also translate to crappy preseason games, once the starters leave.

I wonder if that has anything to do with members of TT's scouting staff going off to other teams

Joemailman
09-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Wasn't he waived/injured? If so, they aren't even keeping him around. At least, that's what I thought I read.

There were reports he was waived/injured, but the Packers show him on the injured/reserve list. http://www.packers.com/team/players.html

It's possible he'll still be waived if they can reach an injury settlement.

Edit:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-reduce-active-roster-to-75/4b4c18f3-31c6-4dac-a8a0-2676c827ab8a

The Packers placed T Bryan Bulaga, WR Kevin Dorsey, RB DuJuan Harris and LB Jarvis Reed on injured reserve. S Sean Richardson, T Derek Sherrod, T JC Tretter and DE Jerel Worthy were placed on reserve/physically unable to perform.

Patler
09-04-2013, 01:57 AM

This is backwards from the normal routine, isn't it?:

WR Kevin Dorsey was waived/injured by the Packers Tuesday with a hamstring injury. He will be placed on reserve/injured after clearing waivers

Usually they place them on IR, negotiate an injury settlement and release them. If they want him on IR, why not do it directly? Why waive him first and wait for waiver claims?

Patler
09-04-2013, 02:28 AM

I wonder if that has anything to do with members of TT's scouting staff going off to other teams

When you have 13 rookies/1st year players make the final 53, you are quite far down the talent list for PS eligible players on your own roster. When you consider that another one that they wanted to get on PS was claimed on waivers, you don't have a lot left to pick from. They decided to scrap a couple from last year who would still be PS eligible (e.g. Coleman & Datko), leaving not much choice but to look to other teams.

Doesn't matter too much anyway, because under TT the PS has been a very fluid list, and he usually begins making changes almost immediately. After a week or two "tryout" some of the current members will be released and others signed, maybe even some who were in GB before.

Fritz
09-04-2013, 06:26 AM
It's weird to me that guys who played really well in camp (Walker) or appear to have upside (Coleman?) don't even get a sniff of anyone's PS, but a guy who looks like a schlub (Lewis) getes snapped up to someone else's 53 right away.

It's a strange world, NFL talent evaluation.

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2013, 08:02 AM
but a guy who looks like a schlub (Lewis) getes snapped up to someone else's 53 right away.

Come on, who wouldn't want a slice of that 2nd string offensive line?

I've come around to thinking that the other wunderguard, Taylor, should be cut with the hope of stashing him on PS. Use the roster spot to resign Graham Harrell until Seneca Wallace can learn enough of the playbook to function.

People say that the backup QB doesn't matter, we're screwed if Rodgers goes down. Mostly true, but a backup could finish a game, or beat a weak team.

Guiness
09-04-2013, 09:36 AM
When you have 13 rookies/1st year players make the final 53, you are quite far down the talent list for PS eligible players on your own roster. When you consider that another one that they wanted to get on PS was claimed on waivers, you don't have a lot left to pick from. They decided to scrap a couple from last year who would still be PS eligible (e.g. Coleman & Datko), leaving not much choice but to look to other teams.

Doesn't matter too much anyway, because under TT the PS has been a very fluid list, and he usually begins making changes almost immediately. After a week or two "tryout" some of the current members will be released and others signed, maybe even some who were in GB before.

Is the Pack's number really at 13? Wow, I hadn't realized it was that high.

Patler
09-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Is the Pack's number really at 13? Wow, I hadn't realized it was that high.

and that doesn't include Tretter, who is on PUP.

mraynrand
09-04-2013, 09:46 AM
It's weird to me that guys who played really well in camp (Walker) or appear to have upside (Coleman?) don't even get a sniff of anyone's PS, but a guy who looks like a schlub (Lewis) getes snapped up to someone else's 53 right away.

It's a strange world, NFL talent evaluation.

Measureables, Fritz, meh. sure. a. bulls!

Who am I:

Combine stats:
40 4.64
20 2.62
10 1.53
Wonderlic 23
bench 30
Vert 35
broad 120
shuttle 4.22
3 cone 6.84
height 75 in
weight 215

think anyone will keep me??

Guiness
09-04-2013, 10:25 AM
and that doesn't include Tretter, who is on PUP.

Lesse...Lacy, Franklin, Jones, Banjo, Bakhtiari, Hyde, Boyd, Palmer, Barrington, Mulumba, Taylor. I didn't think Barrington was a rookie for some reason, and forgot about Mulumba and Taylor.

That's only 11 though...I got the list from sportsline, did they miss a couple?

mraynrand
09-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Lesse...Lacy, Franklin, Jones, Banjo, Bakhtiari, Hyde, Boyd, Palmer, Barrington, Mulumba, Taylor. I didn't think Barrington was a rookie for some reason, and forgot about Mulumba and Taylor.

IR has Dorsey, Reed and Cunningham - but that's not the Final 53. I see 11.

mraynrand
09-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Bostick and Ross are listed as having one year experience, but not rookies of course. Perry and other rooks from last year are listed as having 2 years (in their second year). I assume that has to do with when they were signed/activated last year. But I suppose they could count towards the 13.

Patler
09-04-2013, 11:19 AM

I referred to "rookies/1st year players" so the list also includes Bostick and Ross who are not rookies, but do not have enough games for an accrued season. Thus, they are called "1st year players." Both would have been eligible for the practice squad.

For that matter, I think VanRoten was also PS eligible, even though he has one accrued season.

Guiness
09-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Bostick and Ross are listed as having one year experience, but not rookies of course. Perry and other rooks from last year are listed as having 2 years (in their second year). I assume that has to do with when they were signed/activated last year. But I suppose they could count towards the 13.

Interesting designation - so Ross and Bostick are listed as being in their first year, I guess because they've got some accrued time, but not a full season yet. Perry is entering his second year.

I wonder how that works come RFA/FA time? Would Bostick and Ross be eligible a year after Perry, even though they entered the league the same year? Probably, I think it's based on accrued seasons.

Pugger
09-04-2013, 12:22 PM
I saw Mulligan was signed by NE but I can't recall presently if he is now on their PS or 53.

Joemailman
09-04-2013, 01:08 PM
I saw Mulligan was signed by NE but I can't recall presently if he is now on their PS or 53.

Mulligan is a 3 year veteran. He would not be eligible for any practice squad.

RashanGary
09-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Who am I:

Combine stats:
40 4.64
20 2.62
10 1.53
Wonderlic 23
bench 30
Vert 35
broad 120
shuttle 4.22
3 cone 6.84
height 75 in
weight 215

Hmmmm. . . . 6'3" 215, good burst and agility, not great top end speed, but everything else. . . . Fitzgerald?

HarveyWallbangers
09-04-2013, 01:45 PM
I think Fitz was faster than that.

pittstang5
09-04-2013, 01:46 PM

Who am I:

Combine stats:
40 4.64
20 2.62
10 1.53
Wonderlic 23
bench 30
Vert 35
broad 120
shuttle 4.22
3 cone 6.84
height 75 in
weight 215

Except for the weight - those are Brian Cushings Combine results

HarveyWallbangers
09-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Eric Decker maybe? He's sort of like Jordy but a little slower.

HarveyWallbangers
09-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Are we talking about a receiver here?

pittstang5
09-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Fitzgerald? Bench 225lb 30 times? maybe now, but not in 2004.

mraynrand
09-04-2013, 02:45 PM
You guys are good. Those are indeed the numbers for Cushing, minus 30 pounds. I was thinking of a way of illustrating how a guy probably can get rejected (or drop significantly in value) just because one of his measurables is off, even if he otherwise could be very good. Cushing that light can't play backer, and he wouldn't be swift enough to play safety (or at least, he wouldn't be a top pick at safety). I suspect this really is a 'Duh' observation. I hope it wasn't too disappointing!

Of course, there's nothing in the combine that can test how well a guy can head butt without his helmet on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_al6jcWMzM

HarveyWallbangers
09-04-2013, 05:09 PM
What were Decker's numbers? I want to see how close I was.
:)

mraynrand
09-04-2013, 05:19 PM
What were Decker's numbers? I want to see how close I was.
:)

(pro day)
height 6'3"
weight 217
40 4.56
bench 15 (combine)

had lisfranc injury and only did bench at combine...

Fritz
09-06-2013, 10:56 AM
I wonder if it'd be worth putting Kickalickious on the practice squad so they could work with him on his form.

Pugger
09-06-2013, 01:56 PM

Well, that didn't last long. I heard Mulligan was released yesterday.