PDA

View Full Version : THURSDAY CHRISTL BLOG FROM PI

Bretsky
08-24-2006, 11:35 PM
THURSDAY, Aug. 24, 2006, 4:58 p.m.
Camp Report, Aug. 24

THUMBS UP

Time will tell if safety Marquand Manuel is worth the $10 million the Packers invested in him. Keep in mind that he essentially had been a career backup until he took over for injured starter Ken Hamlin in Game Six of Seattle’s run to the Super Bowl last season. Moreover, Manuel isn’t ranked among the top 20 safeties in the game by Pro Football Weekly, which based its ratings on feedback from NFL personnel people. But Manuel has clearly brought a different tempo and tone to the secondary since he came off the physically unable to perform list and started practicing 11 days ago.

Given an opportunity to get more reps during Manuel’s absence, second-year man Marviel Underwood and rookie Tyrone Culver were two of the biggest surprises of training camp. Underwood has since been lost for the season with a knee injury. But no matter, Manuel appears to play faster and more aggressively. “I was with him when he was a freshman at Florida,” said Bob Sanders, the Packers’ defensive coordinator. “That’s the way he has always been. He’s a tough player.” In practice anyway, Manuel even seems to have a little headhunter in him. He also appears to have naturally taken on the role of a leader. “He’s like a coach on the field,” said third-year cornerback Jason Hunter. “He helps get us lined up. He knows his stuff. He even knows the pre-adjustments.”

THUMBS DOWN

The Packers’ decision to take their chances on unproven kicker Dave Rayner seems to be worth the risk if for no other reason than his leg strength. But Rayner has missed four field goals from 39 yards out over the past two days. In Thursday’s practice, Rayner missed three of nine field goal tries. On all three misses, he was wide left from from 39 yards out. He converted from 24 yards, 30 twice, 39 twice and 44, along with an extra point.

In a league where almost 25% of the games are decided by three points or less, no team can afford an inconsistent kicker.

But before anyone writes Rayner off consider this: He was kicking Thursday in a new environment, Ray Nitschke Field, with a stiff crosswind and without a chance to warm-up and gauge the wind. Also, beside a strong leg, he seems to have a tough hide. He made himself available in the locker room after practice and didn’t flinch at the questions about his bad day. “It’s not like I’m going to be able to hide it,” he said. “There were like 100 some people out there. The coaches were there. I’m not embarrassed by it. The best kickers in the league have bad days.”

A kicker with a stand-up attitude? That part might be worth a Thumbs Up.

INJURY REPORT

Cornerback Mike Hawkins returned to practice. Cornerback Patrick Dendy continued to do some individual drills, but no team work.

Josh Bourke (calf), William Whitticker (hamstring), Najeh Davenport (hip), William Henderson (knee), Kenny Peterson (ankle) and Atari Bigby (hand) continued to miss practice.

ODDS & ENDS

During a special teams period, Jon Ryan averaged 47.6 yards on 14 punts, but still appeared to be inconsistent with his hang time.

Quarterback Brett Favre and wide receiver Donald Driver climaxed a two-minute drill with a 32-yard touchdown on a broken play. Favre started the drive by connecting with rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings for a 30-yard gain. The best defensive play during the drive was a deflected pass by end Aaron Kampman, who had dropped off the line into coverage.

Rookie guard Jason Spitz continues to look the best of the rookie offensive linemen, at least in one-on-one pass blocking. He took one turn against Cullen Jenkins and couldn’t have been sounder.

Culver intercepted a tipped ball in a defensive period. It was his fifth interception of camp.

Over the course of practice, rookie wide receiver Cory Rodgers and veteran Rod Gardner both appeared to need help either getting lined up right or running the right route or both.

ON THIS DAY

Aug. 25, 1980 – The Packers released quarterback Randy Dean almost three weeks to the day after coach and general manager Bart Starr had acquired him from the New York Giants for a sixth-round draft pick. Dean, a former star at Whitefish Bay High School, completed just three of 16 passes in two exhibition appearances. The Packers also settled on Chester Marcol as their kicker by cutting Tom Birney, their kicker in the last six games of the 1979 season.

SCHEDULE FRIDAY

The Packers are scheduled to practice at 10:30 a.m. on Ray Nitschke Field. The practice is open to the public.

Fritz
08-25-2006, 08:23 AM
Thanks Bretsky for posting this.

I say Rayner's place on the team will be judged Monday night. It's all on him. If he comes through, he's in. If he doesn't he's out.

I also have come to the conclusion that Cory Rodgers is this year's Joey Jamison, that fifth round little punt return guy that Wolf drafted back in the late nineties, I think. After about two weeks of camp it became clear that Jamison couldn't catch the ball, and he was immediately cut.

Do the same with Rodgers. Admit it was a bad pick, get rid of him, and move on.

Scott Campbell
08-25-2006, 08:31 AM
I don't like the guy missing 3 field goals in practice, but I've got to say I'm impressed with his reaction. You have to play forward, and can't dwell on misses. Scott Norwood was a terrific kicker who never recovered from his big miss.

Scott Campbell
08-25-2006, 08:32 AM
That's great news on Manual too. That might be the first piece of news I've read on him.

GoPack06
08-25-2006, 09:20 AM
Its seems like everyday you hear about Greg Jennings catching 30 yard passes. I think we may have gotten the best WR in the draft.

Partial
08-25-2006, 09:20 AM
Its seems like everyday you hear about Greg Jennings catching 30 yard passes. I think we may have gotten the most NFL ready receiver in the draft.

T, FTFY :mrgreen:

Fritz
08-25-2006, 09:24 AM
As I said in another post, Detroit's got a kicker who's kicking the ball lights out, but the Lions aren't going to pick him over Jason Hansen. When Detroit finally cuts this guy - probably really late in the pre-season - Green Bay ought to snap him up if Rayner lays an egg on Monday night.

Noodle
08-25-2006, 10:41 AM
Is Nick Collins still playing for the Packers? I read these camp reports as often as I can (thanks B!), but I never read about Collins doing anything. I check the injury list -- he's not there. What's going on with this dude?

On Rayner, I miss Longwell probably more than anyone on this board, but no way I'm writing Rayner off yet. In some respects, this hyper-focus on practice isn't all that healthy. I thought you were supposed to push yourself in practice, fail, and learn from the experience.

5 bad days in a row is one thing. One bad day is nothing.

Badgepack
08-25-2006, 11:02 AM
There sure isn't any press on Nick Collins, but watching the tape of the Atlanta game, he had some good plays.

SkinBasket
08-25-2006, 11:19 AM
“He’s like a coach on the field,” said third-year cornerback Jason Hunter. “He helps get us lined up. He knows his stuff. He even knows the pre-adjustments.”

I didn't know we moved Hunter from DE to CB and that he gained 2 years experience in the process. I know its a blog, but people pay to read this stuff.

bigcoz75
08-25-2006, 11:21 AM
“He’s like a coach on the field,” said third-year cornerback Jason Hunter. “He helps get us lined up. He knows his stuff. He even knows the pre-adjustments.”

I didn't know we moved Hunter from DE to CB and that he gained 2 years experience in the process. I know its a blog, but people pay to read this stuff.
That bothered me too. If I was getting paid to write about the team I sure wouldn't be transposing names.

Partial
08-25-2006, 11:24 AM

my thoughts exactly. Did you read the 1992-2006 PI article? Terrible.