PDA

View Full Version : 6 years later, signed to a practice squad

Patler
09-04-2013, 01:42 AM
Remember Danny Lansanah? GB signed him as an undrafted rookie in 2008. He was on the practice squad until he got an offer from another team. The Packers then signed him to their active 53 man roster and released Tracy White, who had been the ST leader. Special teams went downhill almost immediately, and many people blamed it on the release of White. Lansanah was mostly inactive for games.

The next year, Lansanah was released in TC. He bounced from team to team, never made another roster that I know of, played some in the UFL, then resurfaced with the Jets this year. He has been signed to the Jets practice squad, at 28 years old and in his 6th season of trying to make an NFL career.

Guiness
09-04-2013, 08:50 AM
How did you come across that? Yes, I remember him, the Packers did a lot to hold onto him but he didn't pan out.

Well, he's got a Wikipedia page now!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Lansanah

Patler
09-04-2013, 09:35 AM
How did you come across that? Yes, I remember him, the Packers did a lot to hold onto him but he didn't pan out.

Well, he's got a Wikipedia page now!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Lansanah

I was skimming the list of NFL transactions for recognizable names, and came across his.

Tori Gurley is on Cleveland's practice squad.

George Cumby
09-04-2013, 10:54 PM
They both gets points for persistence.

mission
09-04-2013, 11:10 PM
They both gets points for persistence.

And about 100k a year if they can stick on that PS... not too bad to do what you love and get easy NFL tail.

mraynrand
09-05-2013, 09:01 AM
I was skimming the list of NFL transactions for recognizable names, and came across his.

Tori Gurley is on Cleveland's practice squad.

He was pretty good in preseason catching passes from Steny Hoyer. Cleveland is not exactly deep at WR. Wouldn't take much to get him signed to the 53 - maybe see him later in the season in GB!

NewsBruin
09-07-2013, 02:33 PM
And Lasagna just got promoted to the Jets' active roster after they cut Brady Quinn to not have to pay him his vested vet's full-season salary.

Three points:
-Most fans know vested veterans on roster by Game 1 have their salary guaranteed. Did no one in the Jets' front office know this? Should I be surprised with either answer?

-I think Andrew Brandt mentioned in his last MMQB column that vested veterans only get one season-salary claim in their career. I thought that was a consistent perk. I can't imagine anyone ever getting a higher contract after their first cut (unless they're signed by the Jets or Raiders), so you'd want to get the first claim you could make.

- Isn't there a CBA rule that the Active Roster must be full before a team can have players on the Practice Squad? Nice benefit for Lansanah then.

pbmax
09-07-2013, 03:25 PM
And Lasagna just got promoted to the Jets' active roster after they cut Brady Quinn to not have to pay him his vested vet's full-season salary.

Three points:
-Most fans know vested veterans on roster by Game 1 have their salary guaranteed. Did no one in the Jets' front office know this? Should I be surprised with either answer?

-I think Andrew Brandt mentioned in his last MMQB column that vested veterans only get one season-salary claim in their career. I thought that was a consistent perk. I can't imagine anyone ever getting a higher contract after their first cut (unless they're signed by the Jets or Raiders), so you'd want to get the first claim you could make.

- Isn't there a CBA rule that the Active Roster must be full before a team can have players on the Practice Squad? Nice benefit for Lansanah then.

a. A lot of teams let one or two vets go right before the weekend. Its to limit chances they get an offer elsewhere from someone with space, though leaving room to claim incompetence for the Jets front office is always a good idea. Idzik though, is a cap guy from another org (Niners maybe?) so he probably has an idea how its supposed to go.

b. Vet claim on the season salary (absent Week 1 guarantee) is a dicey proposition. It depends on the salary for the year, week cut AND the status of the player. If injured and waiting for another, health boosted future contract, I can see a player waiting.

c. Not sure about last item.

Guiness
09-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Tori Gurley now with the Browns!

Patler
09-07-2013, 04:11 PM

The regular roster has to be full in order to keep a PS player that is in his third practice squad season. If you only have players on the PS for their 1st or 2nd years it doesn't matter how many you have on the regular roster.

NewsBruin
09-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Ooh, thanks, Patler.

I did get the "Cut Quinn because they didn't want to cover his whole season's contract" directly from the SI article. It just struck me as "Oh, yeah, I just remembered that."

Guiness
09-07-2013, 05:40 PM
The regular roster has to be full in order to keep a PS player that is in his third practice squad season. If you only have players on the PS for their 1st or 2nd years it doesn't matter how many you have on the regular roster.

WTH? How do you come up with a rule as ridiculous as that? If you tapdance while juggling and chewing bubblegum, then can you keep a third year guy on your practice squad?

(go to 1m35sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0MXU3J6Qbs&t=1m35s