PDA

View Full Version : Team 93

pbmax
09-04-2013, 04:30 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130904/PKR0101/130904027/It-s-all-about-Team-93-2013-Packers

McCarthy apparently gave an offseason talk about this being the 93rd Packers team in history. Several players have taken up that designation as a point of distinction between what may have happened last year versus this year.

Reporters are apparently hearing this alot when discussing the 49er game.

However, I wonder if Team 93 might have a meaning no one as quite picked up on yet. ::lol:

http://krausesports.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/20110102_99.jpg

Joemailman
09-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Somebody tell Wist we now know why Boyd made the team.

red
09-04-2013, 04:50 PM
i think its a tribute to an all time packer great

http://media.jrn.com/images/brown71712.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKi1kn6FVMTBAcyAp73o57L8Xhn6KgO aDII5I7Ds2VYh4Zh83s

Joemailman
09-04-2013, 04:52 PM
The best sack celebration ever.

swede
09-04-2013, 06:59 PM
He carried 93 pounds of trapezius muscles, could broad jump into a pickup truck, and his Burger King sandwich was reeal good.

Bossman641
09-04-2013, 07:05 PM
I like to imagine it's a call out to Walden and how often he fucked up contain against SF.

George Cumby
09-04-2013, 10:51 PM

http://media.jrn.com/images/brown71712.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKi1kn6FVMTBAcyAp73o57L8Xhn6KgO aDII5I7Ds2VYh4Zh83s

Man, he was a joy to watch. Thanks Denver for ruining his knees.

Pugger
09-05-2013, 08:49 AM
I like to imagine it's a call out to Walden and how often he fucked up contain against SF.

:lol: Getting rid of Walden was addition by subtraction.

Fritz
09-06-2013, 06:46 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130904/PKR0101/130904027/It-s-all-about-Team-93-2013-Packers

McCarthy apparently gave an offseason talk about this being the 93rd Packers team in history. Several players have taken up that designation as a point of distinction between what may have happened last year versus this year.

Reporters are apparently hearing this alot when discussing the 49er game.

However, I wonder if Team 93 might have a meaning no one as quite picked up on yet. ::lol:

http://krausesports.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/20110102_99.jpg

Well, damn. That means the version of the team seven years from now will assuredly suck ass.

This will be their theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwqBLQPwYvw

Pugger
09-06-2013, 08:43 AM
I really like that song by Toto.

mraynrand
09-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Man, he was a joy to watch. Thanks Denver for ruining his knees.

It was really Tampa Bay and Indianapolis. Both teams went after his legs deliberately earlier in the 1997 season. I was at Indy and saw them go after him - he, the whole Packer bench, and defense were screaming at the refs and the Indy lineman. Don't think that made the tube. bastards. If you think about it, injuries to Gilbert in 1995 (at SF, Divisional round) and during the '97 season severely limited him, and alone may be responsible for the Packers not getting a three-peat.

pbmax
09-06-2013, 09:11 AM
It was really Tampa Bay and Indianapolis. Both teams went after his legs deliberately earlier in the 1997 season. I was at Indy and saw them go after him - he, the whole Packer bench, and defense were screaming at the refs and the Indy lineman. Don't think that made the tube. bastards. If you think about it, injuries to Gilbert in 1995 (at SF, Divisional round) and during the '97 season severely limited him, and alone may be responsible for the Packers not getting a three-peat.

Was going to say John Teerlinck, but he is a D line coach. There was a coach at Indy I believe known for those tactics I believe. I remember it being a relatively big issue locally at the time.

George Cumby
09-06-2013, 11:43 AM

I am sure you are correct. I just remember some bush league stuff going on during that SB. (Not that the Pack didn't tank.)

Bossman641
09-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Was that the game where a winless Indy team knocked off the Pack? I remember the defense getting shredded in that game.

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2013, 01:53 AM
5 Names

Eddie Lacy
David Bakhtiari
Don Barclay
Datone Jones
Nick Perry

Five guys that I think will ultimately decide how successful this team will be. (Obviously, Rodgers staying healthy is the #1 factor, but that pretty much goes without saying.) I know we have a lot of bodies on the DL, but this team needs a couple of complements to Matthews. Maybe not All-Pro compliments, but Jones needs to provide a pass rush on the DL and Perry needs to be a good complement at LOLB (I'd be satisfied with stout run defense and bull rushing his way to 7-8 sacks). If these five guys have good seasons, I'll feel very good about our chances. They don't need to be world beaters, but they need to be solid.

mraynrand
09-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Was that the game where a winless Indy team knocked off the Pack? I remember the defense getting shredded in that game.

yup. Lindy Infante/Tony Mandarich get revenge on defending champs. Then get fired/cut, never to coach/play again.

Iron Mike
09-08-2013, 07:25 AM

Does that mean in 4 years, we'll have "Team Cleedeus"???

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/OleCleedeeus.jpg

pbmax
09-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Team 93 Update:

from Mike Tanier, for his Colts-Dolphins preview he grades the free agency extravaganza:

Erik Walden: F. As Packers fans know, Walden thinks "containment" means installing screen doors on submarines. Invisible most of the game, Walden allowed Terrelle Pryor to bootleg right around him for a long gain, then committed a hands-to-face penalty on the next play. Walden became even more invisible after that, as rookie Bjoren Werner got increased snaps at his outside linebacker position.

He sets a mean edge, then takes a nap.

denverYooper
09-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Addition by subtraction

Guiness
09-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Team 93 Update:

from Mike Tanier, for his Colts-Dolphins preview he grades the free agency extravaganza:

He sets a mean edge, then takes a nap.

That's quite the contract he got for a guy the Pack was probably going to offer a vet minimum contract to and most of us hoped wouldn't make it out of camp. Someone in Indi messed up their evaluation there or only watched him play one game.

He counts towards comp picks, doesn't he?

pbmax
09-13-2013, 12:29 PM
That's quite the contract he got for a guy the Pack was probably going to offer a vet minimum contract to and most of us hoped wouldn't make it out of camp. Someone in Indi messed up their evaluation there or only watched him play one game.

Yes he does. Though it will help if he doesn't lose his job.

mraynrand
09-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Packers should have traded up to get Bjoren Werner

Fritz
09-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Yeah, the league will make the Packers give the Colts a pick for taking Walden.

Joemailman
09-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Does that mean in 4 years, we'll have "Team Cleedeus"???

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/OleCleedeeus.jpg

Not so fast there, fat boy.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site569/2013/0228/20130228__1-johnny%20jolly_400.jpg

Bretsky
09-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Somebody tell Wist we now know why Boyd made the team.

JOSH BOYD...........JAMES LEE ???? Anybody else see any comparisons ?

Without doing any research.....this is what I recall in my jaded draft day memory of James Lee....but guy....didn't seem to have the credentials to be drafted where he was but he was a pick of need........both stunk it up first camp. Both kept at least partly because they were draft picks. Hopefully Josh Boyd has a better career than Mike Sherm's James Lee

My gut tells me those looking up James Lee will be able to poke many holes into my comparisons....but on surface level.....feels very similar

Bretsky
09-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Yeah, the league will make the Packers give the Colts a pick for taking Walden.

We should all be fans of Walden all of this year
If he has a good season we could draw as high as a 4th for him IMO...but probably a 5th

A crap season probably gets us a 7th or 6th at best

The one small consolidation is we didn't sign any free agents worth a shit so they can't give Green Bay any draft pick credit for signing somebody who would help us

pbmax
09-14-2013, 09:09 PM
JOSH BOYD...........JAMES LEE ???? Anybody else see any comparisons ?

Without doing any research.....this is what I recall in my jaded draft day memory of James Lee....but guy....didn't seem to have the credentials to be drafted where he was but he was a pick of need........both stunk it up first camp. Both kept at least partly because they were draft picks. Hopefully Josh Boyd has a better career than Mike Sherm's James Lee

My gut tells me those looking up James Lee will be able to poke many holes into my comparisons....but on surface level.....feels very similar

Generally speaking its the same beginning of the arc. But wasn't James Lee listed as a UDFA by everyone else? Was Boyd that low on other's boards?

Bretsky
09-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Generally speaking its the same beginning of the arc. But wasn't James Lee listed as a UDFA by everyone else? Was Boyd that low on other's boards?

Keep in mind I'm just a GM wanna be. A Mel Kiper know nothing who is not able to speak to GM's. But all of the rankings I looked at..tier's of DL....would have indicated the cup was bare after Brandon Williams...wists love...went off the board. Most readings I had projected Boyd as round five at earliest and mostly round six to seven.

I am going to have to go look up James Lee...........but I'm pretty positive he was a draft pick taken by Mike Sherman

In fact, I think we traded up to get him . Let me see if I am thinking right

Bretsky
09-14-2013, 09:40 PM
FROM TEN YEARS AGO

Packers Trade Up In Round 5 To Nab DT Lee
The Packers traded up in the draft to acquire DT James Lee of Oregon State with the 147th overall pick. The Packers traded to Seattle their fifth-round selection (165th) and a sixth-round pick (203rd). The Packers' next pick is in the 6th round (185th).

Joemailman
09-14-2013, 10:05 PM

They said Lee wasn't watching the draft because he didn't expect to be drafted. If I remember correctly, he wasn't even a starter at Oregon State.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2013, 01:54 AM
I believe Lee was a Sherman pick. I remember him being a big fatty that was more of a DT in 4-3. He was more comparable to Johnny Jolly--except he completely sucked ass. Boyd is more of a NT/DE hybrid in a 3-4. The scout in McGinn's article says that Boyd flashes a bit. Let's be real though. Boyd was a late round pick. At the spot most guys turn out to be something closer to Lee than Jolly. Jolly was a good pick by Thompson where he was taken. The Lee pick was based on potential--which happens a lot late in the draft. Hard to fault Sherman on taking a late round flier on a big body.

Bretsky
09-15-2013, 02:17 AM
my bad....I was thinking Boyd was another round four guy but he was round five.........

Joemailman
09-15-2013, 09:24 AM
The Lee pick was based on potential--which happens a lot late in the draft. Hard to fault Sherman on taking a late round flier on a big body.

It's one thing to take a late round flier on a guy with potential. It's another thing to trade away 2 picks to do it. It was just another draft day panic move by Sherman similar to B.J. Sander and Donnell Washington.

pbmax
09-15-2013, 10:22 AM
It's one thing to take a late round flier on a guy with potential. It's another thing to trade away 2 picks to do it. It was just another draft day panic move by Sherman similar to B.J. Sander and Donnell Washington.

This. But we already knew this. At some point we will have a GM that is not an ideologue about these things.