PDA

View Full Version : Who gets a Super Bowl ring?

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2013, 04:39 PM
I read somewhere this summer about a guy who had a SB ring for being on the practice squad. Sorry, up-and-comers, that's silly.

Who do you think should get one? The scouting staff? How about the IT guys who make the spread sheets?

I can see the philosophy of giving EVERYBODY on the team payroll a SB ring. That's hundreds of rings.

If you are going to pick-and-choose, it really ought to be players from the 53, and a very small circle, IMO.

channtheman
09-05-2013, 04:44 PM
I shoveled snow out of Lambeau Field the year the Packers won the Super Bowl, where's my ring?

mraynrand
09-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Hey, they even gave snowflake a ring. Or was that an AFCCG ring? Wait, snowflake took that ring from Finkel/Crosby. Oh hell, never mind.

bobblehead
09-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Well, I think everyone who is on the 53 throughout the year should get a ring this season since we will be winning the superbowl.

Pugger
09-05-2013, 06:58 PM
What about all of the hundreds of shareholders? Where is our ring?

hoosier
09-05-2013, 07:37 PM
I read somewhere this summer about a guy who had a SB ring for being on the practice squad. Sorry, up-and-comers, that's silly.

Who do you think should get one? The scouting staff? How about the IT guys who make the spread sheets?

I can see the philosophy of giving EVERYBODY on the team payroll a SB ring. That's hundreds of rings.

If you are going to pick-and-choose, it really ought to be players from the 53, and a very small circle, IMO.

Which 53? The start of the year 53? End of the year? What about the guys who go on IR? What about the bottom of the roster guys who contribute something in the early weeks but then get cut? If you're the 2010 Packers, your players from the 53 actually turn out to be closer to 73. And then there is the coaching staff, the administration, the physician who put all the broken pieces back together, the equipment guy who swept up all the broken pieces. Yours is a loaded question.

Guiness
09-05-2013, 07:58 PM
What about all of the hundreds of shareholders? Where is our ring?

Owners do generally give themselves a ring. Of course, they're also generally paying for them, so I guess if you want to drop the $30K or so, you should be allowed!

As far as number of rings, the league subsidizes a fixed number, but I've found different counts, two of 150, one of 70

Smeefers
09-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Owners do generally give themselves a ring. Of course, they're also generally paying for them, so I guess if you want to drop the $30K or so, you should be allowed!

As far as number of rings, the league subsidizes a fixed number, but I've found different counts, two of 150, one of 70

My brother in law is a share holder and he got a share holder version of the ring. Much smaller but still awesome.

Joemailman
09-05-2013, 09:28 PM
I think Harlan should get one.

http://chicitysportsfan.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/packers-fan.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Which 53? The start of the year 53? End of the year? What about the guys who go on IR? What about the bottom of the roster guys who contribute something in the early weeks but then get cut? If you're the 2010 Packers, your players from the 53 actually turn out to be closer to 73. And then there is the coaching staff, the administration, the physician who put all the broken pieces back together, the equipment guy who swept up all the broken pieces. Yours is a loaded question.

Is this what you would do? Is there any packer employee who you would not give a ring to? Practice squad transients? Slocum?

I would give rings to players who were on IR or spent more than two weeks on 53. I would not give rings to medical/training staff. I would be stingy with management. I think a SB ring is an athletic and coaching reward.

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2013, 09:34 PM

If they are giving out 150 rings, it means many employees got them. But far from all. I think that is lousy. Better to just make it for the players and coaches.

Alternatively, I can see giving rings to whole organization as a gesture. That is 200 or 300, I should think.

MJZiggy
09-05-2013, 09:42 PM
I think that anyone who was on the active roster (anyone less than the full season must have seen game time), the coaching staff, GM, upper management and scouting staff. My apologies to the IT staff and receptionist.

Guiness
09-05-2013, 10:12 PM
I think that anyone who was on the active roster (anyone less than the full season must have seen game time), the coaching staff, GM, upper management and scouting staff. My apologies to the IT staff and receptionist.

You know some teams (NE for instance) have given cheerleaders rings, right?

MJZiggy
09-05-2013, 10:23 PM
You know some teams (NE for instance) have given cheerleaders rings, right? If they play a snap, they can have a ring.

pbmax
09-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Don't almost all team employees get one usually?

Joemailman
09-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Don't almost all team employees get one usually?

I thought there was a general policy that any employee whose job is related to team performance on the field gets a ring. Ted Thompson, or anyone who works in player acquisition/development would get a ring. A cashier at the Packer Pro Shop would not.

jpompo
09-05-2013, 11:36 PM
I thought there was a general policy that any employee whose job is related to team performance on the field gets a ring. Ted Thompson, or anyone who works in player acquisition/development would get a ring. A cashier at the Packer Pro Shop would not.

I know for sure it's more than that since a member of the board of directors comes to my fathers tailgate and he has a ring. He'll let others wear it which is a cool experience for anyone but you should see the face of first timers, show up to your first ever Packers game: walk around with a Super Bowl ring.

Pugger
09-06-2013, 12:47 AM
My brother in law is a share holder and he got a share holder version of the ring. Much smaller but still awesome.

I was tempted to purchase one but the price was a little to rich for my blood.

Guiness, I know they only give out X number of rings. I was just joking around. :lol:

hoosier
09-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Is this what you would do? Is there any packer employee who you would not give a ring to? Practice squad transients? Slocum?

I would give rings to players who were on IR or spent more than two weeks on 53. I would not give rings to medical/training staff. I would be stingy with management. I think a SB ring is an athletic and coaching reward.

I would probably draw the line at the guy who carries the broom and mop.

Joemailman
09-06-2013, 07:46 AM
I know for sure it's more than that since a member of the board of directors comes to my fathers tailgate and he has a ring. He'll let others wear it which is a cool experience for anyone but you should see the face of first timers, show up to your first ever Packers game: walk around with a Super Bowl ring.

Well, the Members of the board do occasionally make team related decisions, at least indirectly. I'm pretty sure they have to approve the hiring of the team President. The President is involved in some team performance decisions, the hiring /retaining of the GM being the biggest one.

Fritz
09-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Because I held to the same pre-during-post game routines, because my lucky clothing and my lucky couch-sitting positions were relentless, and because I said the same things during every playoff game during the 2010 SB run, I believe I am due a Super Bowl ring.

mraynrand
09-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Because I held to the same pre-during-post game routines, because my lucky clothing and my lucky couch-sitting positions were relentless, and because I said the same things during every playoff game during the 2010 SB run, I believe I am due a Super Bowl ring.

You can have one any time you want. You just have to pay for it - or have Drew pay for it: she's raking in tons of cash from those gripping and realistic "Charlie's Angels" movies.

mraynrand
09-06-2013, 08:47 AM
A cashier at the Packer Pro Shop would not.

At this point, the cashier will be lucky to be working more than 29 1/2 hours per week.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2013, 12:31 PM
I would probably draw the line at the guy who carries the broom and mop.
The revolution is coming, elitist pig.

What Ziggy posted is about the way things generally work: management & coaches & active players get rings.

I have a problem with "management" - that includes people who do marketing, finance, etc. Stuff that supports the team, but is peripheral to the football field. If the guy who does the number crunching for Ted gets a ring, shouldn't the medical staff too? The head trainer's performance has a lot more to do with success on the field than Mark Murphy's various efforts.

My guess is the teams giving out about 70 rings have it right.
But if you are going to go beyond that, I say everybody in the organization ought to get one.

BTW, I started this ridiculous thread because I heard about a guy who never made an active NFL roster but had a ring from a brief stint on a practice squad. That cheapens the SB ring.

hoosier
09-06-2013, 01:48 PM
The revolution is coming, elitist pig.

What Ziggy posted is about the way things generally work: management & coaches & active players get rings.

I have a problem with "management" - that includes people who do marketing, finance, etc. Stuff that supports the team, but is peripheral to the football field. If the guy who does the number crunching for Ted gets a ring, shouldn't the medical staff too? The head trainer's performance has a lot more to do with success on the field than Mark Murphy's various efforts.

My guess is the teams giving out about 70 rings have it right.
But if you are going to go beyond that, I say everybody in the organization ought to get one.

BTW, I started this ridiculous thread because I heard about a guy who never made an active NFL roster but had a ring from a brief stint on a practice squad. That cheapens the SB ring.

Why? The practice squad guys have an important role to play, they have to do a passable imitation of the opponents and their impact players so the team can prepare properly. Without the practice squad you'd have QBs rushing for 180 yards against unprepared defenses.

Sure, include the medical staff, but then what about the laundry room guys whose good work protects the championship caliber team locker room from toenail fungus and staph epidemics? Once you go beyond the group of players who see live action during games, any line you draw is going to be drawn arbitrarily.

MadScientist
09-06-2013, 03:06 PM
I don't care who gets a ring, just as long as they work for the Packers. That's all that matters.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Why? The practice squad guys have an important role to play, they have to do a passable imitation of the opponents and their impact players so the team can prepare properly. Without the practice squad you'd have QBs rushing for 180 yards against unprepared defenses.

Sure, include the medical staff, but then what about the laundry room guys whose good work protects the championship caliber team locker room from toenail fungus and staph epidemics? Once you go beyond the group of players who see live action during games, any line you draw is going to be drawn arbitrarily.

I'm not sure whether we actually disagree. But I hope we can agree and still remain disagreeable.

One more time: I'd be highly selective and only give-out 70 rings. Fuck the management, fuck the practice squad, etc.

You are right about the arbitrariness, and with that comes the distastefullness of giving rings to people simply because they have the larger salaries. Therefore, if you go beyond the people directly doing the playing and game planning, include everybody - from the laundry room undocumented workers to Clay Matthew's fluffer.

BZnDallas
09-06-2013, 10:56 PM
I don't know where I really stand on this issue. I guess instead of trying to put a number on it at first, I might go through the organization individual by individual and ask myself if that individual did something worth receiving a ring.

I can however tell y'all the chaplain gets a ring. I flew up to Green Bay with my family for a wedding the summer after they won the Super Bowl, it just so happened to be the weekend after the team had the ring ceremony. The chaplain did the wedding ceremony and at the reception brought out the ring for show and tell. It was phenomenal. He let me wear it and take pictures with it. If I can figure out my phone I'll put it up for my image.

Back to the topic, I thought I read an article somewhere, and I'll try and find it, that said the NFL buys the Super Bowl winning team a certain number of rings to disperse as they see fit (75 or 150 seem familiar) and the team has to foot the bill for the rest of the rings the team wants to give them to. I can't remember where I saw that but I'll look.

edit... yeah NFL apparently supplies the first 150...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/124050324.html

Patler
09-07-2013, 04:27 AM
The NFL pays a fixed amount ($5,000.?), but the rings generally are much more expensive than that and the team pays for the extra cost of each. There have also been stories that the ring suppliers do not charge the teams the true value of the players rings, just to become the official supplier and garner the sales to the public of other Super Bowl memorabilia. A loss leader of sorts.

Many teams give out several versions of their ring, with fairly inexpensive rings not having real jewels being widely distributed to employees.

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Many teams give out several versions of their ring, with fairly inexpensive rings not having real jewels being widely distributed to employees.

LOL.

I just got a great idea for cracker jacks ...... SB rings, but only in the market of the winning team. Every local fan a champion.

I wonder whether the chaplain gets the real jewels, and the medical staff gets costume jewelry. Does healing souls matters more than healing bodies?

Ahhh, I see the higher-ups awarding sports trophies to people who have little influence on the actual competition, they simply have a high position in an organizational chart. Yuck.

mraynrand
09-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Ahhh, I see the higher-ups awarding sports trophies to people who have little influence on the actual competition, they simply have a high position in an organizational chart. Yuck.

That's our society today. congratulations.