PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Braun Calling Season Ticket Holders To Apologize!

Maxie the Taxi
09-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Just heard this on ABC national news on the radio. Apparently Braun wanted to personally apologize to fans, so the front office gave him a list of season ticket holders. Braun started calling them.

Sound bite interview with a fan said the fan thought it was a hoax at first.

Strange.

Know any Packers that should get on the horn with stockholders?

hoosier
09-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Braun said he wants to call season ticket and mini plan holders. If he calls all of them he'll be at it until February. A Milwaukee news source interviewed one guy who got a Braun call and asked him directly what he was thinking when he took the PEDs. It sounds like Braun still hasn't figured out that he needs to take full ownership of his f*&^up. Now it's the fault of a "friend" who "talked him into it."

http://www.todaystmj4.com/sports/milwaukee-brewers/Braun-calls-Brewers-season-ticket-holders-to-apologize-222593621.html

Wes Aldridge is certified Brew Crew fan. So when his phone rang and the guy on the other end said it was Ryan Braun, he figured his friends were having a little fun with him.

"At first, I was just waiting for somebody to say ‘We're pulling your leg’ here," Aldridge said.

But something kept him on the line.

"After about two minutes or so, I started to believe this could be Ryan Braun that I'm actually talking to."

And was. The Brewers confirm the former face of the franchise is now calling season ticket holders, apologizing for what he did. Wes didn't waste any time getting to the question on every fan's mind.

"I asked him point blank, I said ‘Why a guy like you, that has all the talent in the world, why would you do something like this?’" Aldridge said. "And he said it was a mistake a friend of his had talked him into and that he was really sorry for his actions."

Fritz
09-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Braun said he wants to call season ticket and mini plan holders. If he calls all of them he'll be at it until February. A Milwaukee news source interviewed one guy who got a Braun call and asked him directly what he was thinking when he took the PEDs. It sounds like Braun still hasn't figured out that he needs to take full ownership of his f*&^up. Now it's the fault of a "friend" who "talked him into it."

http://www.todaystmj4.com/sports/milwaukee-brewers/Braun-calls-Brewers-season-ticket-holders-to-apologize-222593621.html

Maybe Tom Braatz should have called Packer season ticket holders a few years back to apologize for mucking up the entire Packer organization for years...

Pugger
09-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Maybe Tom Braatz should have called Packer season ticket holders a few years back to apologize for mucking up the entire Packer organization for years...

Dan Devine should have done the same well before TB.

Patler
09-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Brett Favre for....uh, ....maybe I better not go there!

pbmax
09-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Brett Favre for....uh, ....maybe I better not go there!

Can't. Restraining order.

Pugger
09-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Let's hope Braun has a lot of minutes on his cell. ;-)

Maxie the Taxi
09-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the link, Hoosier.

As for apologizing to fans on the phone?... I think it's a dumb idea that smacks of a publicity stunt. Just suck it up, clean up your act and come back stronger than ever. I think Johnny Jolly showed more loyalty to the fans by his actions than he ever could by calling them up.

If Braun had called me I would have said "Yeah, right." and hung up.

Old School
09-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Is this his CYA move to avoid going before reporters and answering questions? To say he made a mistake is not the answer to WHY. Public figures make MISTAKES we are supposed to unconditionally forgive. The rest of us schmucks BREAK THE LAW and go to prison.

mraynrand
09-06-2013, 10:15 AM
I think Johnny Jolly showed more loyalty to the fans by his actions than he ever could by calling them up.

Except when he called me in the middle of the night for bail money. Seriously? I'm 30,000 on the waiting list. Now, if I had those seats at the 40 yard line maybe things would be different....

MadScientist
09-06-2013, 11:16 AM
That waiting list makes all the difference. If Rogers got busted for PED's and the Packers went 4-12, anyone who gave up on them and dropped the season tickets would never get them back. The Packers wouldn't care because there are thousands waiting to take his place. For the Brewers, there's no waiting list and no problem getting tickets, so they care big time. If a call from Braun helps the renewal rate, then that becomes a reasonable penance for him. He's helping the club in the only way he can now.

Patler
09-06-2013, 12:03 PM
How many season ticket holders will he call? All of them? Half? One in ten? However many he could reach in an afternoon worth of calling?

I agree with those who have said it is really nothing more than a publicity stunt. Everyone is talking about it, so I guess we are supposed to think he is really a great guy. But then when you hear that, in essence, in one conversation with a season ticket holder he blamed a friend for talking him into it, we once again see a guy who fails to accept responsibility for his own actions. I don't care how persuasive his friend is/was, it was still Braun's decision.

I would be more impressed if he simply told the whole story, the when, where, how and why of it. I would be more impressed if he sat before the media, or if he did a no-holds-barred unlimited interview with select local writers.

He still is trying to manage the situation, just as he has done since the beginning.

Cleft Crusty
09-06-2013, 12:09 PM
As a semi-retired, largely unemployed semi-former beat reporter, Cleft Crusty would be willing to deviate from his normal 'expertise' in covering professional football to sit down with Mr. Braun and ask him about his healthcare options, prescription and non-prescription drug issues, and his electric shaver business. I will ask the tough questions. Let the Urinalscented and Braun know I am on call for this sacred task.

Maxie the Taxi
09-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Clefty, Braun just called me. He was trying to reach my brother who is a season ticket holder and who actually lives in Milwaukee. My brother had given me his old cell phone and that's how Braun happened to talk to me...but that's neither here nor there. Anyway I told Braun about your offer and he's very excited about it. I couldn't give me a definite answer without knowing what some of your "tough questions" would be. Do you research this type of interview with pre-thought out questions? Or do you just sort of stream-of-consciousness it? What say you? Want to telegraph your questions?

Cleft Crusty
09-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Q1: What horrible events in your life led you to be an attention addict, so much so that you need enhancers to stay on top and remain in the limelight
Q2: Are you super-competetive, super-stupid, or both?
Q3: Do you realize that most PEs are highly dangerous? Do you think you're indestructible, or do you worry about how they will affect you long-term
Q4: Do you enjoy having young boys all over Wisconsin hate you?

Packers4Glory
09-06-2013, 01:25 PM
what a dooooosh

hoosier
09-06-2013, 01:41 PM

At least the Packers didn't still owe Braatz an additional $40 million when they discovered the true depths of his incompetence.

Maxie the Taxi
09-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Sorry, Clefty. The questions proposed are too tough. Braun has decided to give the interview to Bob Uecker.

sharpe1027
09-06-2013, 04:48 PM

Honestly, I don't read what he said as being necessarily that harsh. The quote says nothing about it being the fault of a friend. That is a just some else making their own inference. The fact may be that a friend did help to convince him. Should he omit the truth when asked about it?

I agree that it may be a publicity stunt. But then again it seems like a dumb idea from a publicity standpoint so maybe it is more genuine than we are giving him credit for. I sure as hell wouldn't have advised him to do it. :)

pbmax
09-06-2013, 05:35 PM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/4090

hoosier
09-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Honestly, I don't read what he said as being necessarily that harsh. The quote says nothing about it being the fault of a friend. That is a just some else making their own inference. The fact may be that a friend did help to convince him. Should he omit the truth when asked about it?

I agree that it may be a publicity stunt. But then again it seems like a dumb idea from a publicity standpoint so maybe it is more genuine than we are giving him credit for. I sure as hell wouldn't have advised him to do it. :)

It is not as simple as omitting the truth or telling the truth. Like anyone else who has a story to tell Braun is picking and choosing what goes into his narrative. For example, he has consistently and calculatedly avoided going into detail about what kind of PED he took. So I guess in that sense he has been omitting the truth (a certain truth) since the beginning, and will probably continue to do so. Let's assume for argument's sake that the guy who talked to him on the phone is recounting the conversation as it really happened. Brauns' reference to his friend, whether accurate or inaccurate, comes across as an effort on his part to deflect responsibility. He follows it up with a "really sorry for my actions," so he is not completely shirking responsibility but he is still looking for a way to make it sound like it wasn't completely his fault. Someone talked him into it. Why not just focus on what he could and can control--his own mistake--and leave the stuff he can't control out of it? The only answer I can think of is that Braun doesn't want the spotlight to fall on the fact that he and he alone made the decision to screw up.

sharpe1027
09-06-2013, 09:02 PM
It is not as simple as omitting the truth or telling the truth. Like anyone else who has a story to tell Braun is picking and choosing what goes into his narrative. For example, he has consistently and calculatedly avoided going into detail about what kind of PED he took. So I guess in that sense he has been omitting the truth (a certain truth) since the beginning, and will probably continue to do so. Let's assume for argument's sake that the guy who talked to him on the phone is recounting the conversation as it really happened. Brauns' reference to his friend, whether accurate or inaccurate, comes across as an effort on his part to deflect responsibility. He follows it up with a "really sorry for my actions," so he is not completely shirking responsibility but he is still looking for a way to make it sound like it wasn't completely his fault. Someone talked him into it. Why not just focus on what he could and can control--his own mistake--and leave the stuff he can't control out of it? The only answer I can think of is that Braun doesn't want the spotlight to fall on the fact that he and he alone made the decision to screw up.

Yeah. i just dont think it is a big deal. He is apologizing with minor justification. Who among us can honestly say they haven't done the same? I see mostly a good gesture with some imperfection. You don't have to forgive him, but the gesture still seems more good than bad to me.

Patler
09-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Yeah. i just dont think it is a big deal. He is apologizing with minor justification. Who among us can honestly say they haven't done the same? I see mostly a good gesture with some imperfection. You don't have to forgive him, but the gesture still seems more good than bad to me.

I see very little substance in the gesture. He has released statements without showing his face, now speaks to a handful of people from his cloistered enclave on high.

He didn't hesitate to appear before cameras and microphones to drag good people through the mud. Now that he has been caught red-handed, he has become a recluse.

He continues to underwhelm me. Just my opinion.

sharpe1027
09-06-2013, 11:48 PM
I see very little substance in the gesture. He has released statements without showing his face, now speaks to a handful of people from his cloistered enclave on high.

He didn't hesitate to appear before cameras and microphones to drag good people through the mud. Now that he has been caught red-handed, he has become a recluse.

He continues to underwhelm me. Just my opinion.

He has acted like a grade A loser, IMO. I just didn't think this particular quote was all that bad. He probably was trying to deflect some of the critism, but the statement overall seems like a positive step forward for him.

mraynrand
09-07-2013, 08:59 AM
I have made 18,000 bad posts. I blame me.

Maxie the Taxi
09-07-2013, 09:15 AM

Don't be so hard on yourself, Ayn. I've got you only at about 17,500!:wink:

swede
09-07-2013, 10:38 AM

It doesn't seem sincere unless you pm it to each of us and let us ask you why. Why, why, why?

sharpe1027
09-07-2013, 04:17 PM

Your friend talked you into each bad post.