View Full Version : Eye-opening roster info from GBPG

Patler
09-07-2013, 05:23 AM
From the Green Bay Press Gazette:

Comparing the initial roster of 2013 to the initial roster of 2012:
- 18 new players (34%)
- 7 new starters, (five on offense).

Further:
- only 21 players remain from the Super Bowl roster, including only 7 starters.

packrulz
09-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Double post

packrulz
09-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Not sure if that's good or not, quite a few of TT's draft picks haven't panned out. Look at the 2011 draft, only 4 remain:
2011 - GREEN BAY PACKERS
RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
1 32 Derek Sherrod T Mississippi State
2 64 Randall Cobb WR Kentucky
3 96 Alex Green RB Hawaii
4 131 Davon House DB New Mexico State
5 141 D.J. Williams TE Arkansas
6 179 Caleb Schlauderaff G Utah
6 186 D.J. Smith LB Appalachian State
6 197 Ricky Elmore LB Arizona
7 218 Ryan Taylor TE North Carolina
7 233 Lawrence Guy DT Arizona State

Fritz
09-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Couple things about that draft...

First, it does not appear to have been a terribly great or deep draft class - unless you were Cinci or SF and got Andy Dalton and Kaepernick in the early second round.

For example, two of the offensive linemen taken ahead of Sherrod - Danny Watkins and Gabe Carimi - have, I think, already been released. We don't know how good Sherrod is, but he has an outside chance to contribute next year despite the horrific injury. We'll see. I'm not sure.

The next offensive linemen taken (second round) were Orlando Franklin, Stefen Wisnewski, and Ben Ijalana. I'm not familiar with how they turned out.

The big flub for the Packers might've been Alex Green, but I do wonder if he hadn't gotten hurt how he might've been. He seemed to have moments. But then again, he seemed pedestrian sometimes, too. I did find that two running backs taken after him (in the fourth round) have better numbers - Roy Helu and Kendall Hunter.

Also, instead of Green, Sam Acho might have looked good in green-and-gold. He was taken seven picks after Alex Green, and has 62 tackles, two interceptions, and eleven sacks in his two years in the league.

So it looks like a dull draft for most teams, though SF seemed to acquit themselves well.

mraynrand
09-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Not sure if that's good or not, quite a few of TT's draft picks haven't panned out. Look at the 2011 draft, only 4 remain:
2011 - GREEN BAY PACKERS

when you win the Super Bowl, you essentially have the first pick in the second round. Consistently good teams don't get high first round draft picks. that's a significant disadvantage.

But good thing Ted stockpiled all those late round picks, eh??

Patler
09-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Couple things about that draft...

First, it does not appear to have been a terribly great or deep draft class - unless you were Cinci or SF and got Andy Dalton and Kaepernick in the early second round.

For example, two of the offensive linemen taken ahead of Sherrod - Danny Watkins and Gabe Carimi - have, I think, already been released. We don't know how good Sherrod is, but he has an outside chance to contribute next year despite the horrific injury. We'll see. I'm not sure.

The next offensive linemen taken (second round) were Orlando Franklin, Stefen Wisnewski, and Ben Ijalana. I'm not familiar with how they turned out.

The big flub for the Packers might've been Alex Green, but I do wonder if he hadn't gotten hurt how he might've been. He seemed to have moments. But then again, he seemed pedestrian sometimes, too. I did find that two running backs taken after him (in the fourth round) have better numbers - Roy Helu and Kendall Hunter.

Also, instead of Green, Sam Acho might have looked good in green-and-gold. He was taken seven picks after Alex Green, and has 62 tackles, two interceptions, and eleven sacks in his two years in the league.

So it looks like a dull draft for most teams, though SF seemed to acquit themselves well.

MM said on several occasions that he believed Alex Green would be not just a good player but a star in the league. The first time he said it, I brushed it off.. When he said it last year as Green struggled, I took more notice of it. Some guys come back from ACLs with little change. Some are never again the same as they were. It seems maybe Green is in the second category.

Pugger
09-07-2013, 10:04 AM
IMO Green's problem was his vision or lack thereof.

Fritz
09-07-2013, 10:04 AM
MM said on several occasions that he believed Alex Green would be not just a good player but a star in the league. The first time he said it, I brushed it off.. When he said it last year as Green struggled, I took more notice of it. Some guys come back from ACLs with little change. Some are never again the same as they were. It seems maybe Green is in the second category.

And of course that's why drafting and assessing drafting is so inexact. We'll never know, probably, whether Green would have been a star had he not gotten hurt. I do wonder if the Pack gave up on him too quickly - if he'll heal more and return to form. But we'll see.

Same with Sherrod. Had he not gotten hurt, we'd have a good idea by now how good of a pick it was or wasn't.

We hate to admit it, we fans, because football promises to fill the void of uncertainty for us, but in truth, it's as uncertain as anything else. Sometimes, shit just happens.

red
09-07-2013, 12:09 PM

well, M3 has proven time and time again that he not only doesn't know how to use running back, but he also doesn't have a clue how to evaluate them

red
09-07-2013, 12:14 PM
And of course that's why drafting and assessing drafting is so inexact. We'll never know, probably, whether Green would have been a star had he not gotten hurt. I do wonder if the Pack gave up on him too quickly - if he'll heal more and return to form. But we'll see.

Same with Sherrod. Had he not gotten hurt, we'd have a good idea by now how good of a pick it was or wasn't.

We hate to admit it, we fans, because football promises to fill the void of uncertainty for us, but in truth, it's as uncertain as anything else. Sometimes, shit just happens.

running backs are gonna get banged up and hurt. their ability to handle the beating they take counts just as much to me as vision and quickness.

AP, destroyed his knee two years ago. career altering injury most thought. he returned, early, to have one of the best years ever for a running back

AP has what it takes to make it in the NFL, Green did not

Brandon494
09-07-2013, 12:28 PM

+1

Had nothing to do with his ACL injury, the guy just didn't have it. Look at his college tape and the holes he ran thru at Hawaii were unreal. Not only that but he went against weak competition pretty much each game.

Fritz
09-07-2013, 12:30 PM
running backs are gonna get banged up and hurt. their ability to handle the beating they take counts just as much to me as vision and quickness.

AP, destroyed his knee two years ago. career altering injury most thought. he returned, early, to have one of the best years ever for a running back

AP has what it takes to make it in the NFL, Green did not

My point is that there was no way to tell how good of a "healer" Green was or wasn't. It's the luck of the draw, sometimes.

And I don't think it was all that obvious Green would or wouldn't be a good back. I trust Ted's judgement, mostly, on these things. He seems to evaluate talent as well as anyone.

Brandon494
09-07-2013, 12:34 PM
2011 - GREEN BAY PACKERS

Not the greatest draft but I remember on draft day saying Cobb was going to be the gem of this class. Even though most of the players didn't pan out we still drafted one of the top play makers in the NFL that season so can't be that bad.

red
09-07-2013, 01:35 PM
2011 - GREEN BAY PACKERS

what makes this draft bad, IMO, is the fact that we don't draft for need (although sherrod was a pick we needed) we draft best player available based on the scouting and research we did

so you would think, at least i would think, that we get a lot of NFL caliber talent out of our drafts

and like we've mentioned many times before. when you completely neglect one whole aspect of team building (free agency) you absolutely can't afford to have a draft like that where most of the players are gone within a couple years

bad draft from TT, and what makes it worse is that we still have players starting that suck at those positions he whiffed on

Guiness
09-07-2013, 03:10 PM

Ijalana is on his second team, after tearing his ACL twice in 2 years. He's a Jet now :-)

Brandon494
09-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Lmao TT fields a Super Bowl winner and fans still complain about the draft after even though it produced our best play maker on the team.

Brandon494
09-07-2013, 03:13 PM
1 (31): Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State

2 (63): Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida

3 (95): Curtis Brown, CB, Texas

4 (128): Cortez Allen, CB, The Citadel

5 (162): Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State

6 (196): Keith Williams, OL, Nebraska

7 (232): Baron Batch, RB, Texas Tech

Lets just compare our draft to the Steelers who picked before us for shits and giggles.

Guiness
09-07-2013, 03:20 PM

Maybe vision, lack of burst after the cut would be my guess. RBs are always looked at as a position where a rookie can have immediate impact. The Pack didn't have much at RB and he didn't win the job outright which disappointed me. When he continued to not start, I was pretty sure he was not going to pan out by week 3 or 4.

pbmax
09-07-2013, 03:29 PM
McCarthy did not seem too confused about Ryan Grant and Brandon Jackson.

red
09-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Lmao TT fields a Super Bowl winner and fans still complain about the draft after even though it produced our best play maker on the team.

hold on a sec, let me try and get comfortable. i'm not use to shoving my head this far up my ass

ok, ready

WOOHOOO, WE ARE THE FUCKING GREATEST. 47 time UNDEFEATED, defending super bowl champion GREEN BAY PACKERS

WE ARE PERFECT IN EVERY FUCKING FACET OF THE GAME.

no need for further discussion, shut down the forum

there that make you feel better? vagina hurt a little less now?

mraynrand
09-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Lets just compare our draft to the Steelers who picked before us for shits and giggles.

Even great GMs have crappy drafts all the time. Look at Ron Wolf in 1999 and 2001. Absolute garbage. And yet, 2000 was a spectacular year. Sometimes it seems completely arbitrary.

Brandon494
09-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Woah did I hurt someone feelings? :taunt:

mraynrand
09-07-2013, 04:12 PM
hold on a sec, let me try and get comfortable. i'm not use to shoving my head this far up my ass

ok, ready

WOOHOOO, WE ARE THE FUCKING GREATEST. 47 time UNDEFEATED, defending super bowl champion GREEN BAY PACKERS

WE ARE PERFECT IN EVERY FUCKING FACET OF THE GAME.

no need for further discussion, shut down the forum

there that make you feel better? vagina hurt a little less now?

vagina monologues? Stick to football, eh! :)

Brandon494
09-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Even great GMs have crappy drafts all the time. Look at Ron Wolf in 1999 and 2001. Absolute garbage. And yet, 2000 was a spectacular year. Sometimes it seems completely arbitrary.

^ All I was trying to say. If Sherrod doesn't get injured we come out of that draft with a starter at LT and a our top play maker which aint too bad for drafting at the end of each round.

CaptainKickass
09-07-2013, 05:05 PM
http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=85176&d=1340569732

bobblehead
09-07-2013, 05:15 PM
+1

Had nothing to do with his ACL injury, the guy just didn't have it. Look at his college tape and the holes he ran thru at Hawaii were unreal. Not only that but he went against weak competition pretty much each game.

The great running backs make those holes. Its not about the blocking, he was special.

Guiness
09-07-2013, 05:29 PM
The great running backs make those holes. Its not about the blocking, he was special.

I don't know about that...have you seen any of his Hawaii film? I remember looking at them wondering how you could scout a guy who was running through holes that were literally 2-3 yards wide. Travis Jervey would've lit it up in that offense!

^ All I was trying to say. If Sherrod doesn't get injured we come out of that draft with a starter at LT and a our top play maker which aint too bad for drafting at the end of each round.

We might have a starting LT. There is still nothing to go on that tells anyone if Sherrod can play in the NFL or not.

pbmax
09-07-2013, 05:40 PM

I agree, however, out of a spread those holes can appear on their own with less work by the back. They need to be less physical and less exact.

In the Badger game today, the freshman RB Clement (sp?) made a big run and Tauscher and Lucas both said the run was made by the back being patient early and leading defenders to his blockers and then accelerating at the proper time. Huge gain for a TD I believe.

Not saying Green did not do that, but in a spread you have less guys in the box to navigate and if they are pass rushing, those holes can appear earlier.

Zool
09-08-2013, 12:45 AM
I agree, however, out of a spread those holes can appear on their own with less work by the back. They need to be less physical and less exact.

In the Badger game today, the freshman RB Clement (sp?) made a big run and Tauscher and Lucas both said the run was made by the back being patient early and leading defenders to his blockers and then accelerating at the proper time. Huge gain for a TD I believe.

Not saying Green did not do that, but in a spread you have less guys in the box to navigate and if they are pass rushing, those holes can appear earlier.

Green isn't shifty enough to make people miss on a regular basis and he almost always goes down on first contact. Not a great recipe for a RB.

Pugger
09-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Green often appeared to be running toward the pile instead of trying to get around it. I'm sorry we don't get the Big 10 Network down here cuz I'm eager to see this freshman RB Clement.