PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh Brought Up BountyGate?

pbmax
09-09-2013, 08:37 AM
I confess I did not catch this last week and maybe I missed it if this was pointed out here at PR. But Tanier calls out Harbaugh for bringing up BountyGate in relation to Matthews. Could it be that Harbaugh was too subtle? :)

Scroll down for Evil Deeds and Weasel Words subheading (http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/60033484/)

"You're hearing some intimidating type of talk, kind of things we were hearing a couple years ago … [It] sounds a lot like targeting a specific player," Harbaugh said. "You definitely start to wonder. A man usually doesn't tell you his bad intentions. You know what's being said publicly, not what's being said privately. I hope their intent is not going to be anything that's not within the rules."

What do you think? Sounds plausible now, but I did not react to it along those lines when this was happening last week.

Must not have worked because I am stunned Matthews wasn't tossed for what I thought was the first punch in his wrestling match with Staley.

Bossman641
09-09-2013, 08:55 AM
I dunno if it was specifically brought up here, but I saw the quote from crybaby Harbaugh and instantly made the connection to Bountygate. It was a low blow by him to even compare wanting to hit a running qb (duh) to hoping to injure players and knock them out of the game.

Cheesehead Craig
09-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Agree with Boss. I think he's just concerned that the overall public theory to stop a running QB is to him him a lot, and hard. So he's starting to lay some groundwork so he can complain all season about it.

Clay's hit though was one of the dumbest things I've seen in quite a while though.

mraynrand
09-09-2013, 09:18 AM
see post #65 in the game discussion thread:

BTW, the "deep thinkers"* on the NFLN are now calling the Packers a 'dirty team'

*Irvin, Sanders, Faulk

Upnorth
09-09-2013, 09:18 AM
It was dumb and even worse due to the previous talkig. Shake your head dumb, but iharbaugh has to realize a running QB takes hits. Wondering how long until he gets an unsportsmanlike penalty

pbmax
09-09-2013, 09:43 AM
see post #65 in the game discussion thread:

BTW, the "deep thinkers"* on the NFLN are now calling the Packers a 'dirty team'

*Irvin, Sanders, Faulk

Good catch. I even saw your post but somehow glossed over the connections. I saw loaded words and thought more about his passive aggressive confusion of public/private words, presuming he meant to say (though the original quote made it look like he misspoke) that if this is what they are saying publicly, imagine what is on their mind privately.

I need to work less and read more carefully.

Dirty team isn't the worst rep a Defense can have but you will not catch breaks with the Refs if that is the storyline. The fact that Matthews will only get fined helps this fly under the radar as does the poor officiating job on the offsetting penalties. Which they have now admitted, by the way.

Old School
09-09-2013, 10:41 AM
CMIII made a dumb mistake which he admitted. As for Harbaugh, he starts working the refs midweek in an attempt to gain an advantage. It shows that he's a POS who refuses to compete on a level playing field. It is apparently in the family genes.

Guiness
09-09-2013, 11:38 AM
CMIII made a dumb mistake which he admitted. As for Harbaugh, he starts working the refs midweek in an attempt to gain an advantage. It shows that he's a POS who refuses to compete on a level playing field. It is apparently in the family genes.

Did he admit it? I didn't see that.

edit: looks like this is being reported a few places, I guess he said something in a post-game interview?

Am I the only one who doesn't think it was entirely dumb? I think it was poor tackling form to leave his feet, and that also resulted in the hit being well out of bounds. But as was pointed out in the game day thread, Kaepernick could have cut back inside to go for two more yards. Then if Clay had played him soft, Kaepernick get the first down.

Pugger
09-09-2013, 12:02 PM
I thought it was dumb because CK was out of bounds. You're gonna get flagged for that every time. Some fool for the Tampa Bucs did the same stupid thing and gave the Jets of all teams a chance to kick the game winning FG. I just hope Clay doesn't get suspended for punching Staley twice in the subsequent melee.

Smidgeon
09-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Douchebaugh is in full-on smear-campaign politicking:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/09/09/harbaugh-to-packers-matthews-come-with-some-knuckles-not-an-open-slap/

pbmax
09-09-2013, 04:14 PM
What a Maroon.

red
09-09-2013, 04:20 PM
in todays game, defensive players are expected to sit in a big drum circle and pass around flowers and doobies and sing kumbaya

MJZiggy
09-09-2013, 04:22 PM
in todays game, defensive players are expected to sit in a big drum circle and pass around flowers and doobies and sing kumbaya

Unless you're his. Then you have to be tough. And hit sportscasters if we're leading by example here.

Bossman641
09-09-2013, 04:54 PM
I hate Harbaugh. I used to respect him but now he's just a straight douche. Taking shots at CM3 for slapping instead of punching Staley? It was dumb enough of Clay to throw one punch, that's how hands get broken.

Freak Out
09-09-2013, 05:40 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18znuw6khhw9mgif/original.gif

mmmdk
09-09-2013, 06:43 PM

I guess you miss the smell of napalm in the morning too?

Harbaugh is an ass but I don't agree with the stance on defensive players made into pussies.

red
09-09-2013, 06:46 PM
I guess you miss the smell of napalm in the morning too?

nothing beats smelling napalm while listening to wagner while the slopes burn

sharpe1027
09-09-2013, 06:52 PM
I thought it was dumb because CK was out of bounds. You're gonna get flagged for that every time. Some fool for the Tampa Bucs did the same stupid thing and gave the Jets of all teams a chance to kick the game winning FG. I just hope Clay doesn't get suspended for punching Staley twice in the subsequent melee.

It looked to me that when CMIII made the decision to leave his feet Kap still could have cut back to try for the first. While it was unlikely to happen, I've seen a lot worse pays.

mmmdk
09-09-2013, 06:53 PM
nothing beats smelling napalm while listening to wagner while the slopes burn

Awh, that's not the dude talkin' man...that's pure Goebbels right there! Remember, Charlie won! :wave:

Pugger
09-09-2013, 07:09 PM
I hope some Seachicken "accidently" runs over Harbawl on the sidelines this week.

Guiness
09-09-2013, 07:17 PM
It looked to me that when CMIII made the decision to leave his feet Kap still could have cut back to try for the first. While it was unlikely to happen, I've seen a lot worse pays.

That was my thought as well. Leaving his feet was, without a doubt, a bad decision however.

pbmax
09-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Most national guys are giddy that Harbaugh is giving them something to write and talk about. A few, including Deadspin, have noticed he's talking out of his posterior:

Harbaugh once took exception to Jim Kelly questioning his toughness, asked for a fight and broke his hand: http://deadspin.com/that-time-jim-harbaugh-broke-his-hand-punching-jim-kell-1279830622

He also does not seem to know what a clothesline is: https://twitter.com/TomOatesWSJ/status/377420279330635776

But my favorite is this one that quotes McCarthy from yesterday: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/10/mike-mccarthy-packers-will-stay-above-jim-harbaughs-comments/

By vowing to stay above Harbaugh’s comments, McCarthy is suggesting that Harbaugh’s comments are beneath him. Which is a nice way to take a shot at Harbaugh while declaring that he won’t stoop to Harbaugh’s level.

Pugger
09-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Harbawl has what my husband would call "short crotch syndrome'. If you question his manhood or toughness he foams at the mouth. This moron is seriously immature. I hope sometime this season somebody "accidently" runs him over when a play is coming towards him on the sidelines and I hope the guilty party is wearing a yellow helmet.

Smidgeon
09-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Harbawl has what my husband would call "short crotch syndrome'. If you question his manhood or toughness he foams at the mouth. This moron is seriously immature. I hope sometime this season somebody "accidently" runs him over when a play is coming towards him on the sidelines and I hope the guilty party is wearing a yellow helmet.

That reminds me of the play where an opponent ran out of bounds and right into Gilbert Brown on crutches (or something). The opponent dropped in his tracks and the Gravedigger didn't even move. I'd like to see that. With Douchebaugh being the opponent.

Tony Oday
09-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Whatever. CMIII is not a dirty player and before this they called the team soft...maybe we will be bad asses now.

MadScientist
09-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Harbaugh is the perfect coach for the team near Napa Valley - he produces more whine than any other part of the country.

mraynrand
09-10-2013, 02:33 PM
That reminds me of the play where an opponent ran out of bounds and right into Gilbert Brown on crutches (or something). The opponent dropped in his tracks and the Gravedigger didn't even move. I'd like to see that. With Douchebaugh being the opponent.

I remember that. The dude was hurt and had to be helped back to his bench. Gilbert was all like "hey, did something hit me?" Like running into old Billy Bob, #69:

http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHt0GCxtlq6UwA_3_m.jpg

Smidgeon
09-11-2013, 10:17 AM
I remember that. The dude was hurt and had to be helped back to his bench. Gilbert was all like "hey, did something hit me?" Like running into old Billy Bob, #69:

Didn't the refs try to throw a flag at Gilbert for that?

BZnDallas
09-11-2013, 07:16 PM

"You're too FAT Billy Bob! You're too SLOW Billy Bob!"

"I give it a 10! A 10! A PHUCKING 10!!!

"Ms. Davis, will you go to prom wit me?"

George Cumby
09-11-2013, 11:07 PM

I like "short-crotch" as a handle for Harbaugh.

Pugger
09-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Well, it appears the NFL didn't think Clay deserved a fine or suspension for what happened in SF. I heard yesterday that Staley has now admitted he shouldn't have confronted Clay after CM3 hit CK out of bounds.

Guiness
09-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Well, it appears the NFL didn't think Clay deserved a fine or suspension for what happened in SF. I heard yesterday that Staley has now admitted he shouldn't have confronted Clay after CM3 hit CK out of bounds.

Lavonte David gets fined $7800 for his shove of Geno Smith. Nothing said (so far) about Mathews takedown of Kaepernick.

Here's a link with video of the hit. At full speed it looks bad, but when you see the gif in slo-mo it's obvious he first made contact before Smith was out of bounds. His fault was in continuing the shove...the same as Mathews brought Kaepernick to the ground well after they were out of bounds.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3890886.html

Have to think Mathews will be getting a fax from the league office this week.

btw weird fine amount, I assume it is some sort of a percentage of his salary.

run pMc
09-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Re: Lavonte David -- watching it real-time it didn't look that bad - I've seen the refs swallow their whistles on worse. It slow-mo it doesn't look that bad, although it's pretty obvious either way that Smith's gone out of bounds a split second before being pushed. IMO that's a pretty ticky-tack penalty to call and a crucial point of the game. I bet Bucs fans and Vegas conspiracy theorists are crying about that one.

Also -- Warren Sapp is a bulging-eyed fool.

Guiness
09-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Re: Lavonte David -- watching it real-time it didn't look that bad - I've seen the refs swallow their whistles on worse. It slow-mo it doesn't look that bad, although it's pretty obvious either way that Smith's gone out of bounds a split second before being pushed. IMO that's a pretty ticky-tack penalty to call and a crucial point of the game. I bet Bucs fans and Vegas conspiracy theorists are crying about that one.

Also -- Warren Sapp is a bulging-eyed fool.

When I look at the slow-mo, it seems like Geno had not actually stepped out of bounds before initial contact was made.

Smidgeon
09-12-2013, 02:17 PM

Where'd you hear that? All I read was Staley crowing to Kaepernik about how he's going to protect him.

swede
09-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Well, if it does so happen that Matthews is fined, it would be kind of stupid of the NFL to fine the drama that made that one of the best opening day matches in years.

Unless the whole world has gone crazy, people should look at the replay and say, "Holy cow! Clay Matthews can fly! He's like the World's Most Powerful Fan. He flew in from fifty feet away and wrapped up Kaepernick like a bar mitzvuh present. I swear there are little green and gold sparkles coming from the bottom of his cleats. It looks he got fired from a Tomahawk missile tube. What a stud! Ehh...he hit him about three feet out of bounds, though, so that's bad I guess. Here comes Staley. He mad. Little fisticuff action. Refs break it up. Cool play, dawg. I love the NFL, man."

Pugger
09-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Where'd you hear that? All I read was Staley crowing to Kaepernik about how he's going to protect him.

Darn, I can't find that now. Maybe I saw it on another Packer forum? :cnf: